Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Trucks: GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Trucks: GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota?

I'm interested in getting a truck. Looking at the 2020s but realistically probably wouldn't get one for another year or so.

What's your experience with the following:

GMC Sierra 1500
Chevy Silverado 1500
Dodge Ram 1500
Toyota Tundra

I think the new 2020 Ram 1500 has the nicest interior out of the bunch but I'm not sold on the exterior looks of it.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:50 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I currently own a 2015 Yukon Denali which basically is still in line with the previous generation Sierra. In terms of drive line, I'm quite happy with it. I've had some issues which have been covered under warranty but they have pretty much been minor. I wouldn't hesitate to jump into a newer model based on my ownership experience.

A good friend of mine just got a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie a few months back (company vehicle). It's got the V6 which I think is a bit under powered for a full size pick up but it's not horrible. The interior on the new Ram trucks is very nice, they have definitely stepped up their game in that department. Another friend got a new Tundra earlier last year (2018) and it's a nice truck but I think it's behind the times in tech and drive train.

While not the most relevant hands on experience, I hope this helps some. I should add that you really should take a serious look at the Ford trucks too..... they are really nice. Regardless, I wish you the very best of luck on whatever decision you make!!!
Old 10-04-2019, 10:16 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I'm a FORD guy when it comes to trucks. To me they just seem to be more solid. GM trucks seem to get the rattles after about 40,000 miles. But, FORD doesn't offer a $4,000 tailgate option like GM does. While I own a Dodge Hellcat I would never consider a Dodge truck. No set reason just preference.

Last edited by JJS04; 10-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Anymore I don't think it matters. The Dodge hands down has the best looking interior. And I owned Fords since 1979. The Chevy and GMC look cheap. Fords look good inside and out. We currently own a 2017 Expedition and a 2019 Super Duty and neither has required any warranty work (yet). But my 2017 F150 was bought back by Ford under the Lemon Law. Before the F150 owned a 2013 Tundra for 4 years and it was bullet proof. Of all the major brands the Tundra is the most car like and tows and carries the least amount of weight.
I think the Tundra has the longest chance for longevity if you don't haul or tow much. I could easily buy any of the other 3 if the price was right.

If Ford did not offer me such a great incentive to stay with Ford after buying back my F150 I most likely would of bought my first Dodge this time around in stead of the Super Duty. Funny thing about the gas Super Duty, once you hit the Lariat trim line there is little price difference between the F150 and F250
Old 10-04-2019, 12:52 PM
That Bad Man
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14,'16

I have been looking as well.

I noticed that GM is not putting 4wd lo in their transfer cases. While I would probably not use it often, it is making me look more towards a Ford or Ram.

Ford will most likely be my next truck purchase.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:04 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

The new Titans should be pretty nice. They were good trucks, but lacking in features. 2020 should fix that.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:26 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

My earlier Fords were good, but I'm Never buying a 6-cylinder truck, so bye-bye Ford. My '06 Titan 4WD was great! 2 year Sierra 6.2L Z-71 is great! But try to get 6-speed; if 8-speed, ensure they used new tranny fluid to avoid shudder. Probably going back to Titan next time.
A friend just lemon-law'd his decked out F-150. Personally, not a Toyota nor Chrysler fan.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Ford f150
Old 10-04-2019, 02:14 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MVR 155
I currently own a 2015 Yukon Denali which basically is still in line with the previous generation Sierra. In terms of drive line, I'm quite happy with it. I've had some issues which have been covered under warranty but they have pretty much been minor. I wouldn't hesitate to jump into a newer model based on my ownership experience.

A good friend of mine just got a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie a few months back (company vehicle). It's got the V6 which I think is a bit under powered for a full size pick up but it's not horrible. The interior on the new Ram trucks is very nice, they have definitely stepped up their game in that department. Another friend got a new Tundra earlier last year (2018) and it's a nice truck but I think it's behind the times in tech and drive train.

While not the most relevant hands on experience, I hope this helps some. I should add that you really should take a serious look at the Ford trucks too..... they are really nice. Regardless, I wish you the very best of luck on whatever decision you make!!!
Thank you for the reply. I have nothing against Ford at all, not a Ford hater and I actually like some of the Ford vehicles. However, looking at the F-150...it just doesn't do it for me. Not sure why, just every time I see them I'm like "ehhh". I'll certainly look into them again before making any final decisions but I liked it the least out of all the big companies so that is why I didn't even include it on the list.

Last edited by DanMan35; 10-04-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:17 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by That Bad Man
I have been looking as well.

I noticed that GM is not putting 4wd lo in their transfer cases. While I would probably not use it often, it is making me look more towards a Ford or Ram.

Ford will most likely be my next truck purchase.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, as I stated, I've never owned a truck and this would be my first one...what do you mean by GM isn't putting 4WD in their transfer cases? GM trucks (Silverado and Sierra) certainly have 4WD right?
Old 10-04-2019, 06:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, as I stated, I've never owned a truck and this would be my first one...what do you mean by GM isn't putting 4WD in their transfer cases? GM trucks (Silverado and Sierra) certainly have 4WD right?
4WD LO is a second gearing for the 4x4 to increase torque to the wheels. It's used for offloading like mud and stuff. Think of it as a two speed transmission attached to the wheels, but you're in 2nd gear normally. Typically 4wd low cant be used above like 30 mph.

if this will be your first truck, make sure you get enough seat time to know you REALLY want one, vs renting one or a smaller suv and a trailer. The new trucks drive great... for a truck. But it's a VERY different experience than a car. I had an f150 and hated it. It was too big, too floaty, with too light of steering. I ended up getting rid of it and "downgraded" to a much older v8 colorado, and it does all the truck stuff I need. Even being a much smaller truck with a lowered sport suspension, I still prefer driving my other cars and rarely drive it. If there was a sport suv i could trade straight up for that was reliable, i would probably do that and buy a small utility trailer to replace the bed.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Tundra hands down.
Not even a question

Get notified of new replies

To Trucks: GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota?