Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

The Corvette SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Cenzoooo
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 290 Posts
Default The Corvette SUV

I would like to have a serious discussion about the future of the Corvette brand, and the potential rollout of an SUV. I saw this photochop of a Urus with a Vette nose and it got my mind running.

I for one would love to see a a real adult version of what Chevy did with that (b)lazer. Something the size of the Cayanne, undercutting the price and fitting in a variety of engines would be cool.
What would not be cool is a rebadged Caddy crossover. I think everyone agrees on that before we go down that rabbit hole.
So how do you all feel about THE FUTURE?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 590 Likes on 163 Posts

No!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Cenzoooo
I would like to have a serious discussion about the future of the Corvette brand, and the potential rollout of an SUV. I saw this photochop of a Urus with a Vette nose and it got my mind running.

I for one would love to see a a real adult version of what Chevy did with that (b)lazer. Something the size of the Cayanne, undercutting the price and fitting in a variety of engines would be cool.
What would not be cool is a rebadged Caddy crossover. I think everyone agrees on that before we go down that rabbit hole.
So how do you all feel about THE FUTURE?
CORVETTE is one of the most iconic names and brands. IMO, GM cannot pass up the market other sports car brands are exploiting.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Mr. Toads
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 143 Posts

There are several problems with the idea, the BIGGEST ONE is the GM beanies would never allow the development of an ALL-NEW SUV platform for the low overall volume it would sell at, so if it did get green lighted it'd end up on an existing SUV platform and non of those align with Corvette ride, handling and performance goodness -- the General would muck it up with platform sharing very badly, think Cadillac Cimarron.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

GM is a brand. Corvette is not.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

YES !! there is only a small demographic currently willing to buy a purpose built two seater. Very few two seaters left.
and even less low to the ground sedans left.

Yes, yes, yes...

Huge demographic of buyers of sport oriented SUV's.

Will NOT diminish the brand. Proven by Porsche, Lambo, Maserati, (BMW M?) and now in development Ferrari.

Can share development costs with other GM SUV's. Sharing platforms even reduces risk on the downside.

Will NOT diminish the C8 at all.

YES, lets make some money for GM to keep the C9 alive and in our future.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 PM
Cenzoooo
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I gotta disagree with you there. GM is a corporate name at best. Corvette is the name with the most potential. It has a world wide recognized name that means performance. It could easily be spun off into an SUV just like Mercedes did with the AMG GT 4 door.
Now if GM the corporation must have its way, then I would make a suggestion for a base. It's the Cadillac xt6. It is damn pretty, but underwhelming underpowered. Think that large crossover size, but with a chopped roof and 4 seats. There was this rendering out there too.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Corvette SUV? Ok, but change the name slightly. The Vette part is highly respected, so how 'bout the Chevrolet Che-Vette?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Mr. Toads
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Corvette SUV? Ok, but change the name slightly. The Vette part is highly respected, so how 'bout the Chevrolet Che-Vette?
Savage!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Please consider moving this thread out of C8 section.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Money talks, bs walks. GM can't sit there and watch Porsche expanding its brand into highly profitable SUVs. I can't think of a better way GM could assure the continuation of the Corvette line than to supplement it w the profitability of sport utility models. So all you Corvetterati pining for another FE model, you'll get one as an SUV.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I believe it would be a huge proft center and make for a great halo vehicle for all of gm.

i think it should be a central backbone chassis with six plates bolted up to the central tunnel that house pancake like battery packs and impressive performance much like the tesla model 3 in performance...

all tjat said the corvette team, the gm management team wont allow a corvette crosstrek or cuv...

too bad because I'm now forced to give my money to alfa romeo or porsche for my wifes cuv...

the corvette team, the gm management team doesnt want to leverage the corvette brand name like porsche did with the cayanne and now the macan...

gms sporting cuv will be an entirely new name...
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Bring it on!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 PM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

No.

GM is corporate umbrella.

Chevrolet is a brand.

Corvette is a model.

This is not the case of those other sports car brands such as Porsche or Lamborghini. They are brands will several different models. Corvette is now the lowest priced mid-engine performance sports car available anywhere. With the C7, there would have been at least an argument that a Corvette SUV really was a Corvette. Sure, the SUV would have been stretched, reinforced, and lifted, but it could still share a lot of parts and engineering with its 2-seat siblings.

With the advent of the C8, that argument is not sustainable. A post-C7 Corvette-badged SUV will still be a front-engine vehicle. This is a mixed message coming on the heels of every Corvette engineer explaining that the mid-engine layout was necessary because the front-engine layout could no longer keep up with the competition. As a front-engine vehicle, a post-C7 Corvette-badged SUV would share only styling cues and superficials parts like seats, instrument panel controls, and light lenses with its mid-engined siblings.

I am not terribly keen on the Camaro-styled Blazer SUV, but it has a much closer familial relationship with he Camaro than a post-C7 Corvette-badged SUV. To what end? Chevrolet already has numerous SUV's on the American road. They range from the Suburban through the Tahoe, Traverse, Equinox, Blazer, with rumors of others to join them. The Corvette-badged SUV is the answer to a question that no one asked.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:31 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

And there will never be a mid-engine Corvette. Never say never.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Corvee!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MisterMe
No.

GM is corporate umbrella.

Chevrolet is a brand.

Corvette is a model.

The Corvette-badged SUV is the answer to a question that no one asked.

Actually not only did the OP ask, but they even started a thread for others to ask. ( your WRONG)

Get notified of new replies

To The Corvette SUV

Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Corvette MantaRay as a name for the SUV....... Stingray is already taken ..... ??
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

It could be done fairly easily by using the C7 chassis. Raise the frame level by changing the knuckles so you get some ground clearance and then put a plastic body on it the same way they put a plastic body on the C7. The C7 wheel base is almost identical to the Equinox/Terrain wheel base so all they have to do is put the seats on top of the frame Vs inside of the frame, set the seats up so the legs are going down instead of outward and you have the space to install 5 passenger seating along with a reasonable amount of cargo room. The muscle and bones of a sports car with a body of a CUV. Roll center will be a little higher but it would be one Bad CUV.

Better to be a CUV since they are the high volume models Vs SUVs which are bigger and sell fewer numbers. A CUV is nothing but a hatchback sedan raised up in the air.

Bill
Old 09-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't want to see a "Corvette" SUV.

The idea makes me want to puke.

Quick Reply: The Corvette SUV