Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Took a detour to my C8 ownership....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:37 PM
SoCal-C8
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Took a detour to my C8 ownership....

Well after running the numbers and how long the wait would be for the C8 for me if I ordered one today, I decided to
take a detour and bought myself another mid-engine sports car that I could enjoy right now and wait for the dust to settle on the C8.... I've been looking into these cars for months, long before the C8 was announced as I've always saw them as the closest thing to a modern day NA1 NSX..... that car is the Porsche 981 Cayman

I recently sold my 1992 NSX and had some money burning a hole in my pocket, so I started searching for a Cayman that was the perfect spec for me. My must haves were
white one black
x73 sports suspension (lowers the car 20mm)
20" Carrera S wheels
Sports Chrono package

Well after searching daily for months I found one with all those options and much more at I price I couldn't believe
luckily it was at a Silicon Valley Lexus dealership that had no clue what they had. Did a vin search and found out she was loaded with an original msrp of $82,930 ($18k in options)

I negotiated a price over the phone with some back and forth and was on a plane the next day to San Jose.

Found my unicorn
2014 Porsche Cayman S
2 owner clean carfax California car with 42k miles
she is loaded

The obligatory proud new owner shot

Figure I can enjoy the heck out of this car the next couple years and not lose much money considering the deal I scored on her..... then probably start sniffing around the C8 market.

In the meantime I look forward to enjoying my first Porsche!!!

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Ok...………….
Old 09-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It looks like fun but shouldn’t this be in the Porsche forums?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:51 PM
H2viperbob
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 99 Posts

Porsche
Old 09-02-2019, 03:55 PM
orclubduck
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Congrats

So Cal,

Glad you have a driver for the next couple of years while we are waiting for our C8's. No more anticipation and pouring over hundreds of C8 posts that grow like weeds on the Forum to bide the time.

$83,930 with 18K in options in 2014 highlights just what a value the C8 really is in the end. Also, it sounds like you took advantage of getting your sweet Cayman at a steep depreciation. Good work!! I guess not all Porsche hold their value as well as the GT models...but it sound like you might have been in the right place at the right time.

Hope you get a chance to compare the C8 Z51 after it hits the street to the Cayman S, as by then you will have put yours through the paces, I'm sure. I will let you know when mine arrives...I think I am going to want to drive it everywhere...kind of excited about the C8!!

Jeff

Last edited by orclubduck; 09-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:57 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Great choice on your new car!

Funny, but after the possibility of an 8,400+ RPM FPC engine in the new C8 Z06 arose last week, we’ve also been toying with the idea of a used C7 Z06 non-Z07 to enjoy for the next 18-24 months until the C8 Z06 becomes available and has been more fleshed out as a reality.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Old 09-02-2019, 04:04 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,217 Likes on 794 Posts

Not a bad choice, Cayman is the best Porsche you can buy for the money IMO. Enjoy and see you later ( maybe )
Old 09-02-2019, 04:07 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SoCal-C8
Well after running the numbers and how long the wait would be for the C8 for me if I ordered one today, I decided to
take a detour and bought myself another mid-engine sports car that I could enjoy right now and wait for the dust to settle on the C8.... I've been looking into these cars for months, long before the C8 was announced as I've always saw them as the closest thing to a modern day NA1 NSX..... that car is the Porsche 981 Cayman

I recently sold my 1992 NSX and had some money burning a hole in my pocket, so I started searching for a Cayman that was the perfect spec for me. My must haves were
white one black
20" Carrera S wheels
Sports Chrono package

Well after searching daily for months I found one with all those options and much more at I price I couldn't believe
luckily it was at a Silicon Valley Lexus dealership that had no clue what they had. Did a vin search and found out she was loaded with an original msrp of $82,930 ($18k in options)

I negotiated a price over the phone with some back and forth and was on a plane the next day to San Jose.

Found my unicorn
2014 Porsche Cayman S
she is loaded

Figure I can enjoy the heck out of this car the next couple years and not lose much money considering the deal I scored on her..... then probably start sniffing around the C8 market.

Nice find. I have a 2013 Boxster S but not the X73 suspension but in Silver. You will probably love the ride. Good job.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:07 PM
MossEisley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Great car I'm sure you'll get a bunch of enjoyment out of it.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

white one black
20" Carrera S wheels
Sports Chrono package

Found my unicorn
2014 Porsche Cayman S
she is loaded

So you got a 5 year old Porsche ?
instead of a proper car ?

Well best of luck, move over to correct forum ?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I love the insecurity of some Corvette fanboys..

OP, enjoy the Cayman. I personally find the weight and size much more to my liking than the C8. I am sure you will love the car and then you can pick up a C8 in a few years for 25-30% off MSRP.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Enjoy.......So, what was is the unbelievable price for a 6 yo loaded Cayman?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

white one black
20" Carrera S wheels
Sports Chrono package

Found my unicorn
2014 Porsche Cayman S
she is loaded

Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM
jackfrostpdx
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 317 Posts

does it have mag ride?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:40 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. What a great car. You can drive it a few years and get the C8 when the bugs have been worked out.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:45 PM
SoCal-C8
Instructor

Originally Posted by thill444
I love the insecurity of some Corvette fanboys..

OP, enjoy the Cayman. I personally find the weight and size much more to my liking than the C8. I am sure you will love the car and then you can pick up a C8 in a few years for 25-30% off MSRP.
haha...right ??? I expected a few haters posting this here...and sure enough.......

Yeah, I would hope anybody trying to **** on the 981 Cayman go test drive one....even the base version is a hell of a car.

I just took it for a quick run up to a new track of homes being built so nobody was around and had an absolute blast.
it only has 325hp, but the flat six loves to rev . I will say it's a completely different animal than my outgoing NA1 NSX
I will always love the NSX and appreciate it, but this car is on a completely different level.

I can't imagine how a 495 Hp mid-engine Corvette is going to be..... I sure the heck will enjoy this car in the meantime

Get notified of new replies

To Took a detour to my C8 ownership....

Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM
SoCal-C8
Instructor

Originally Posted by *Trip*
Enjoy.......So, what was is the unbelievable price for a 6 yo loaded Cayman?
lets just say others are asking more for ones that have half the options.... if it was at a Porsche dealer it would have been 6-8k more and they don't budge.

the x73 sport suspension is very hard to find.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:35 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

I see more women than men driving the Porsche Caymen.

They should have really named it the Caywomen,

Its more of a college girls Porsche.

I rather just go with a used 911

( Yes, I am Trolling)

Last edited by kratedisease; 09-02-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Why do so many people feel the need to quote the original post with all of the pictures all over again just to say what you want to say?

Quick Reply: Took a detour to my C8 ownership....