Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2007 Aston Martin DB9

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:21 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I've been extremely fortunate enough to get some unexpected home time just this week, and have taken advantage of that in trying to resolve the last few issues as well as a new problem that just arose.

I'll start off with the newest problem, and one I take all of the responsibility for....Very common problem on these DB9 tail lamps, is that they need to be resealed after awhile or else problems arise with water/condensation infiltrating inside them....I just had arrived home, and had taken my Mom out for dinner....Beautiful early evening with no clouds in sight but, by the time we were finished, it wasn't a heavy rain coming down but, certainly not a mist either.....Wiping the car down after parking, here I'm thinking all is hunky dory as I head home....Come back the next morning to find out some condensation had built up (obviously from the rain) inside the left tail lamp...S**t!! I chose to look at it this way...It probably would have been far worse had I needed to use the highways, in order to run my Mother home, and then my storage unit, roughly 5 miles all together.

I did purchase these tail lamps used, secondly I would have thought that an English car would have damn near perfect rain preventative measures this many years in the game but, obviously I placed too much faith in that. Lastly, for a minor rainfall such as this, and the small amount of time I had to drive in, obviously the seals were in much worse shape than I was led to believe....

As I stated previously, this is a very common problem, and is an easy fix....So, we'll get the condensation cleared out and reseal BOTH of them....I really should have paid more attention to the glaring sticker on top of the tail lamps, and done the reseal before having them installed....Like I said, I take full blame for that. Now, how long can it go before another reseal is needed? Your guess is as good as mine....

Just a picture of the condensation that built up in the left tail lamp and the sticker indicating reseal recommended.

Tried again to get those TPMS sensors put back in but, the shop couldn't get me in this week....So, another wait game...

Things in the key department are looking much better.....Apparently, one of Sid's tech's has a Rolls Royce that he's working on, and knows a guy that has the equipment to cut these keys for these high-end British made cars.....Well, that's the name of the game right there....Getting the key cut properly, without having to go through the hassle of paying out the wazoo, getting it directly from Aston Martin.....Aston Martin will not take perfectly uncut keys, or fobs that you send them....At $500 a set from Aston Martin, I've continued to hold off on shelling that out as a last resort. The 3 uncut keys, and 2 fobs I purchased off ebay, is a far cheaper route to wait for getting cut. Sid can program the fobs in his sleep....

Everything else is running as it should, couldn't be happier in that regard...Still waiting on the seat sensor but, for the time being Sid has it rigged perfectly, no dash faults/codes coming up. Almost forgot....The power outlet was kaput, not that I ever use it but, that has been restored to functioning status...I'm just **** like that. Flux capacitor, fluxing....

Besides the rainfall we had a couple days ago, the weather has been damn near perfect....Slight breeze with temps in the high 70 low 80's....I've taken full advantage of that and driven around 30-40 miles....I tell you what, I had 3 people at different places at stoplights straining to make sure I saw their thumbs up. I don't know about you but, I've been a "car guy" all my life....The hypothetical sense of social prestige that a certain car can bring you isn't something I've ever dwelled on and dead honestly, it's not something important to me....I can only speak from my personal experience....You don't have the remote possibility/ or luxury of being obscure owning/driving a DB9 among the masses....It will turn heads, it will make people juggle trying to drive, and take a picture, it will bring smiles, it will make people ask you, Wow!! Really?? Aston Martin!! That is so cool....

Not the fastest, not the quickest, not the most fuel efficient, or a plethora of other things it isn't the most but, an Aston Martin experience is something I encourage/ highly recommend....

If your like me, that was used to driving pure sports cars all the time, and looking for maybe a different feel in the driving experience....The DB9 can definitely do that for you.

Until next time....Thanks for following along....
Old 09-03-2021, 09:24 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Love following your updates! And I really love your car. Your DB9 is a timeless design that will age very well - even better than their new stuff in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:02 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
Love following your updates! And I really love your car. Your DB9 is a timeless design that will age very well - even better than their new stuff in my opinion.
I can't thank you enough for the compliments, I really appreciate that!! Glad to know I can keep a somewhat attracted audience in my story telling, to keep people interested. I may not have the depth or material to spin a tale like a King or Clancy in spellbinding fashion but, then again, I'm not interested in making the NY Times best seller list, lol!!

Well, I've made some further progress in the key department...Looks like Phoenix Bespoke Keys, located in the UK is the best choice...And I'll tell you why I came to that conclusion.
Come to find out, those keys I bought along with the fob remotes, have indeed what looks like someone (attempted) to cut them, and failed but, that ruins any chance of them being salvaged for anything but ornaments or keepsakes. The fobs are still good, thankfully.

As I've stated before....Aston Martin will cut me new key(s) provided I give them the VIN# and about a 3-week turnaround....Prices, have definitely gone up....Just the cut key alone...$478+ change....I don't want to even fathom the cost of what they would charge for a fob remote but, I'm sure it's astronomical, more like ludicrous in my opinion. Absolutely the LAST place to go, unless you like throwing money away.

For an uncut key, it looked like Scuderia.com had the angle on the lowest price for that....However, I had my parade rained on when one of them replied back that they couldn't sell me the blank key.... So...I replied back, why do you have it advertised for sale then, if you are not going to sell it to the general public? I get the Aston Martin 2-step, about how I need to provide the VIN# so they can contact AM to program the key....I just told them, why do you even bother listing it, if people ultimately need to go through the factory? No reply back but, I will give them kudos for replying back very quickly though.

Aston Martin bits.com replied back slowly but, they would sell me 2 blank keys for 230 pounds shipped, which is like $317....I didn't hear any mention of VIN# but, that may have been an oversight.

Phoenix Bespoke Keys was also rather prompt in their reply, and I like what they had to say.....Uncut key 150 pounds, or $206+. Cut key, 160 pounds or $220+...Ok, now we're talking a little bit more down to earth and somewhat reasonable. They will sell to me, with the caveat of providing the VIN# but, no circle jerk....It's pretty obvious that if you are going to sell Aston Martin parts that deal in the vehicles security system, I'm sure corporate lays down the law, heavily enforced to outside vendors.

Phoenix Bespoke keys also offered to sell me the fobs but, after seeing the price, I immediately had a huge relief, knowing I had 2 perfectly good fobs for programming....450 pounds, each...That's roughly $620. That's a vendor price...and why I didn't even bother asking the Aston Martin dealership for a price...My guess, near a $1000 each.

I've decided to go with Phoenix Bespoke Keys because ultimately, for the conclusion....It looks like the most efficient and cost effective way to go. I pay for the keys to be cut to my VIN#, then Sid can pair the key chip to the immobilizer along with the fobs already provided. Lesson for today's Aston Martin buyer of tomorrow, which I've previously mentioned....Unless you are living in the UK, where obtaining a new set of keys is much easier. You make damn sure, the used modern Aston Martin you are purchasing comes with no less than 2 sets of keys. For people considering a 2009 or later DB9, DBS, Vantage, the price goes up exponentially for the Emotion Control Unit type keys. Crazy, I know but, welcome to Aston Martin...

In conclusion, and in my opinion....I know Aston Martin is a low volume sale car but, I'd think at this stage of the enterprise, they would have taken some advice or cues from other competing car makes, about appealing to the enthusiasts, and have a much better range of aftermarket and vendors out there....Might help them avoid future bankruptcies, which they've been plagued with far too many times, and changed ownership far too many times....The DBX model will definitely help but, that's not what will ultimately save them... Just my .02

I forgot to upload the video of the 2014 Aston Martin DB9 drive experience earlier, so I'm adding it now....My opinion, the driver gives a very positive/detailed description....Ironically, the dealership that is at the end of the video, in Waltham, MA is a dealership I've delivered several brand new Aston Martin's to. Pretty tough place to get in and out of with an enclosed semi lol but, that's not the story. Enjoy!!

Until next time....Thanks for following along!!

Last edited by C5R USA; 09-08-2021 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Added info/video
Old 09-22-2021, 04:48 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Nice to be home again for a bit, especially with the tones of early Fall weather coming into play...Just beautiful outside

I'm elated to report, that everything that has been needed to be rectified or taken care of, has or will be completed by the end of the week.
1) TPMS sensors along with new valve stems have been installed, just waiting to have them programmed to the car.
2) Rear tail lamps being resealed. ( I was happy to see that the prior condensation had evaporated already) Obviously, it's got good airflow coming through there, just too much, lol
3) New keys have been ordered but, that will take 2-3 weeks for arrival. I had to jump through hoops with proof of ownership, with a picture of the license plate, registration, VIN# through the windshield, and a copy of my driver's license....I've just resigned myself to the fact, this is how it's going to be, owning an Aston Martin.

I've continued to hold off for upgrading the exhaust but, I'll get around to it again...Have other vehicles that need some attention in the meantime. Besides, the driving season is nearly over, and if I need to hold off till next Spring, I can certainly wait.

I dropped off the Aston this morning at Sid's shop, and took some photos of the outside area with a few of the other clients car's that he has there for work....Ferrari's of all different models and registered in many different states....It's safe to say, that Sid comes highly praised, recommended with the fact that people are willing to ship their cars to him. Sid, drove me home, and I always like to pick his brain about working on cars of the exotic caliber. Just a wealth of information, field experience, and smarts I could only dream of having...I asked him if Ferrari's continued to be the biggest challenge overall for maintenance, and he said "No". He said McLaren is the new darling of being a PITA to work on, because of the lack of information out there to work on them....You really need to do some serious homework....He told me he had to replace 4 oxygen sensors on a McLaren 600 at $3400 each!! Yeah...No thanks, I'll stick with my pedestrian Aston Martin costs, lol!! I didn't feel so bad after he told the owner of the McLaren, what he had to shell out for it....I asked if he had a heart attack... Yeah that, and a colorful string of choice adjectives aimed at McLaren in particular, lol!!

Anyhoo....Looking forward to, and having a sense of relief of completed status here for fiscal year 2021....A journey that began in early 2019, I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel, and closing this chapter. Is everything perfect? Of course not but, damn close....The car is 14 years old, and there is some hair line cracks on the piano black ski slope/ navigation area but, that is normal with age, and honestly being cosmetic, I'm not stressed about it....Piano black is very delicate, and the cracking had already started when I purchased the car. However, it will not be ignored, and I will get it taken care of in the future.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:56 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

WOW Thomas...EXCELLENT my brother...Good job !MAGA
Old 11-02-2021, 03:43 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Greetings again, after a lengthy tour of the United States, work related....I'm back home again, and just in time for the arrival of my new keys from England, which arrived yesterday morning. I'm very impressed with how Phoenix Bespoke Keys packed the box, and made it look like a professional presentation. Chris Jackson supplied his business card, along with a few brochures. I was also impressed that the keys were wrapped and packaged inside what I consider to be an equivalent of an old Sucrets metal box....Top notch service all the way around....Answering emails promptly, correct invoice, and prompt shipping. American, European, Asian car make keys, you can't go wrong with these people handling your business.

Since I am home this week, I'm hoping that I get at least one decent day outside to run the car over, to have the keys and fobs programmed....If not, I'll probably have to wait until Spring to get it done. My schedule is horrendous this time of year.

I went down to my storage facility the morning after I came home, and found the front driver's side tire extremely low as well as the rear tire. This is the 2nd time the front tire has been low on air but, the first for the rear...I know the weather has dropped considerably since I was home last but, obviously there is a chronic problem there. My guess is maybe a faulty valve stem and then the other would be the design of the wheel mated to the tire is not the best seal. So, this is something I have scheduled to be taken care of while I'm home....My best guess is that it's the design of the wheel and it may need a little help with some rubber sealant...My C5 which is in the next door unit, sits just as long and never has drastic changes with air loss...In any event, I'll get it rectified.

This trip out, I was actually asked by two different customers about my ownership experience, opinions and comparison's with the Aston Martin DB9 as well as the C5 Corvette.
Now...As I generated this thread strictly about my own DB9 experience, I'm still kind of hesitant to make any mention of a comparison because God knows there's plenty of comparison threads out there to whet your appetite by. I'll weaken just this once, and make it in the same kind of theme I relayed to the two customer's I delivered cars to. These were definitely "car guys" and they sure weren't hesitant asking questions. With that being said, I'll do the best I can with a comparison in my own words and experience. Here goes....

First off....I want people to understand , that in a nutshell, it's not really a fair comparison at all....Both of these makes have very different clientele most of the time to either pursue one or the other, not both. The only time in my opinion where the gloves come off and you can actually compare these two justifiably, is the results both achieved at the 24 Hours of Lemans.
In race form, the C5-R proved it's dominance with 3 wins, the DBR9 achieved 2 wins....However, the C5-R never competed against the DBR9, the C6.R was it's nemesis....Obviously we know that the C6.R had it's triumphs over the DBR9 and vice versa. My nutshell answer at least for this segment of the comparison is this....I've got 2 beautiful examples of automobiles that proved themselves against best in the world at the premiere race track of the world. My "official" comparison ends there....The rest I will write, you'll come to your own conclusions if not already that you just can't compare these things in the real world.

As I stated previously. You can't compare these two honestly in the real world. Corvette targets customer's for the most bang for your buck, and there's no debate about how good Corvettes deliver in that realm. It is a true sports car, delivers that in spades, and the potential to make it downright nasty, take no prisoners, and slay a few dragons on the street is a mindset for a good portion of why Corvette owner's buy them in the first place, I understand this...I'm still a Corvette guy, and have done my share of racing. You don't go in the mindset of shopping for an Aston Martin to "slay dragons", I'll tell you that....After conversing with a multitude of other Aston Martin owners, not once have I ever run across one that said, I bought it to slay Corvettes or anything else in that realm, because you are in for a world of disappointment if you want to spearhead a new effort...First off, unlike the true sports car the Corvette is....The Aston Martin is a GT (Grand Tourer). Yes, the car is extremely fast, refined, luxurious, opulent, and the price of it reflects that. What you get, is a 1st Class automobile in refinements, comfort and driver confidence for travelling at high and low speeds, not shaving tenths of seconds off a dragstrip or road course. Maintenance, parts, insurance costs is a no-brainer, you're all smart people to know that's no contest either between the two.....In conclusion, they compliment each other well because of how different they are, and the strengths both of them have right off the showroom floor. You've got a winner either way you go. The best of America and the best of England, both appealing in many ways, just down different paths.

Until next time!! Thanks for following along!!
Old 11-02-2021, 07:02 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

As it turns out...A streak of luck was afforded me to earlier today in getting this tire air leaking issue identified. The COR wheels I have are a 3-piece modular design...That being said, this is a COR manufacturing, assembly issue, NOT an Aston Martin issue...After having the wheels coated in certain areas with a soapy liquid substance, the bubbling doesn't lie, and sure enough, the wheel will have to be taken apart and sealed better. Luckily enough, there is a couple places locally that can handle this, so I avoid shipping it back to COR. I'm actually quite perturbed at this, after already having to go through the months long hassle of sending the entire set back because they wouldn't balance out the first go round. Roughly a 7-day turnaround, I'm taking the car over in the morning to start this process, and then Sid can program the keys and fobs during the wheel fix. It's always something isn't it, lol!!

Old 11-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by C5R USA
As it turns out...A streak of luck was afforded me to earlier today in getting this tire air leaking issue identified. The COR wheels I have are a 3-piece modular design...That being said, this is a COR manufacturing, assembly issue, NOT an Aston Martin issue...After having the wheels coated in certain areas with a soapy liquid substance, the bubbling doesn't lie, and sure enough, the wheel will have to be taken apart and sealed better. Luckily enough, there is a couple places locally that can handle this, so I avoid shipping it back to COR. I'm actually quite perturbed at this, after already having to go through the months long hassle of sending the entire set back because they wouldn't balance out the first go round. Roughly a 7-day turnaround, I'm taking the car over in the morning to start this process, and then Sid can program the keys and fobs during the wheel fix. It's always something isn't it, lol!!

Jesus H. Christ, Thomas...what the **** else can go wrong for you ? You got some kinda bad Karma going around ? I hope you get this fixed pronto...I am pissed just hearing about the trouble you constantly go thru...ACK...

Oh yea...forgot the MAGA...

Last edited by Yello95; 11-03-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:20 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Yello95
Jesus H. Christ, Thomas...what the **** else can go wrong for you ? You got some kinda bad Karma going around ? I hope you get this fixed pronto...I am pissed just hearing about the trouble you constantly go thru...ACK...

Oh yea...forgot the MAGA...

Kenny, I appreciate the response, and you're right. What else can go wrong? Yes, it is frustrating, and without a doubt tests my patience to the limit at times....However, you know this, as well as anyone else who is a "car guy". Mechanical devices in any shape or form, are never guaranteed to be 100%, and that certainly covers shoddy workmanship center stage. I've never dealt with COR before but, I'm thankful to know that ONE transaction is the end of that marriage. On the bright side, I ultimately got what I wanted, the wheels are beautiful and compliment the vehicle well. This will get fixed the right way, and I'll be done with having to worry about it anymore.

All I can say is this Kenny, I can't get pissed about it anymore, it's just a waste of energy to keep brooding over things that I have no control over, it solves nothing. When something goes negative for one car for the time being, I channel that negativity into a positive outcome for another car of mine. I live by the mantra of being constructive on a daily basis. Anyone that's dealt with a number of their own cars knows, you are going to run into letdowns all the time. It's not a matter of if....but, when....When I lose the passion, love, and patience for the car hobby, then I'll know it's time to hang up the spurs...Looking in my crystal ball, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future, lol!! 2 of the 4 wheels is all that needs repair, I'm getting it done locally, and the turnaround time is quite reasonable. Trust me....The situation could and can always be worse hypothetically. Also on a positive note, I'm just about finished up on closing a deal for a '71 Corvette....I have a good life my friend, despite the bad karma as you put it. I have a lot to be thankful for everyday. There's always adversity in the process of achievement.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:10 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the overall update. The silver lining on the wheel issue is that you can fix it locally and move on without having to involve COR. The wheels look awesome so I'm glad you will be back on the road soon.

Rick
Old 11-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Kenny, I appreciate the response, and you're right. What else can go wrong? Yes, it is frustrating, and without a doubt tests my patience to the limit at times....However, you know this, as well as anyone else who is a "car guy". Mechanical devices in any shape or form, are never guaranteed to be 100%, and that certainly covers shoddy workmanship center stage. I've never dealt with COR before but, I'm thankful to know that ONE transaction is the end of that marriage. On the bright side, I ultimately got what I wanted, the wheels are beautiful and compliment the vehicle well. This will get fixed the right way, and I'll be done with having to worry about it anymore.

All I can say is this Kenny, I can't get pissed about it anymore, it's just a waste of energy to keep brooding over things that I have no control over, it solves nothing. When something goes negative for one car for the time being, I channel that negativity into a positive outcome for another car of mine. I live by the mantra of being constructive on a daily basis. Anyone that's dealt with a number of their own cars knows, you are going to run into letdowns all the time. It's not a matter of if....but, when....When I lose the passion, love, and patience for the car hobby, then I'll know it's time to hang up the spurs...Looking in my crystal ball, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future, lol!! 2 of the 4 wheels is all that needs repair, I'm getting it done locally, and the turnaround time is quite reasonable. Trust me....The situation could and can always be worse hypothetically. Also on a positive note, I'm just about finished up on closing a deal for a '71 Corvette....I have a good life my friend, despite the bad karma as you put it. I have a lot to be thankful for everyday. There's always adversity in the process of achievement.
Amen Thomas...you are a real Trooper... ...MAGA...
Old 11-05-2021, 12:44 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Thanks for the overall update. The silver lining on the wheel issue is that you can fix it locally and move on without having to involve COR. The wheels look awesome so I'm glad you will be back on the road soon.

Rick
Thanks for the comment and praise, Rick! Yes, the silver lining, absolutely correct. Wheels will be roadworthy soon, just in time to put the car away before the weather gets really cold and nasty....
Originally Posted by Yello95
Amen Thomas...you are a real Trooper... ...MAGA...
Thanks Kenny!! Be well my friend...
Old 11-06-2021, 07:00 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Quick update on progress and some changes....Everything is going as scheduled with the previous remedies, however Sid has been just as annoyed as I am with this brake squeal issue, that still raises it's ugly head at times....Not nearly as bad as it was from the get-go but, it still shouldn't be there....Sid and his new associate have conferred and they swear to me that switching out the pads to Porterfield pads will eliminate this for good....Sid has a 99% success rate when it comes to my car fixes, the brake squeal being the only lingering pain in the ***. We'll see how those pads work out!!

Old 02-21-2022, 01:23 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Hard to believe the last time I posted was in early November but, work and an unexpected long illness kept me away. The Aston was going through it's remedy work during that time, so I was also waiting for that to be completed.

First opportunity I've had since November to be home, well enough, and the weather decent enough to drive the car earlier today.....Wheel seal issue resolved, brake squeal issue a helluva lot better, not perfect but, you know what? The car just runs beautifully, and is just a joy to experience, and I'm tired of switching out brake pads, gets a little pricey, lol!!. Personally, I think it's always been something with the rotors being a little off, maybe a little snag in there, but again just my opinion. Definitely no issues with the brakes working properly. I lived with the brake squeal issue before when it was more frequent, I can still live with it even more so with far less frequency. Have the new keys cut but, have run into a problem with the fobs. Phoenix Bespoke keys told me I needed new fobs, and the fobs I purchased before with the mindset of "bargain" turn out to be completely useless because they can't be programmed to the car.....So, again, welcome to Aston Martin... Yeah, you guessed it, I will have to ante up for new fobs. Luckily, that is a part that I have the luxury of being spared the rape markup of the dealership with aftermarket suppliers. Still, not cheap but, anything is better than the dealership if it's the same thing.

Still procrastinating about the umbrella....someday, lol.

Sorry that I don't have anything sexier and more exciting to write about at this time but, just having the car functioning as it should, is all the ballyhoo I could want. Hard to believe, it's been 3 years now since I bought it. I only relay what I've learned and experienced up to this point. The answer is 'Yes" I would buy another Aston Martin hands down. Just an incredible piece of machinery.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:32 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Again, it's been awhile since I posted something but, being slammed with work, understaffed, and a vacation in different forms have kept me absent...

So...Here's the latest on my DB9 experience...

Had the opportunity not too long ago to put a few miles on it...Car ran beautifully, unfortunately that brake squealing has returned and often....It doesn't make me feel any better to know that this is a chronic problem with DB9's. So, the car is back over at the shop to go over information, and other avenues of approach on how to eliminate this problem. I do believe going with Porterfield brake pads was the correct choice. Obviously these cars can have brakes that are quiet, I know this from driving other examples. Just comes down to where the root of the problem is and obviously switching out brake pads a dozen times isn't the ONE answer.

Rob was on the phone with a rep from Porterfield and the rep groaned when he heard the car was a DB9, which isn't surprising considering all the stories I've read from other owners spending thousands in pad and rotor change out to no avail with the squeaking, and in turn selling the car because of it. Which I believe, I've mentioned somewhere before in this continuing saga.

Well, I'm a "car guy" I love the Aston Martin brand and ownership of it, and take the good with the bad. My resolve is to have that problem eliminated. Maybe the rotors need to be inspected again, maybe we need to try a different coating on the pad shims? These are just some of my amateur conclusions....My goal is of course to be able to eliminate the problem and share what procedures the shop did to overcome it. We'll get there, hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, thanks for following along!!
Old 04-27-2022, 10:28 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

This thread has been an interesting saga. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-28-2022, 01:17 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Again, it's been awhile since I posted something but, being slammed with work, understaffed, and a vacation in different forms have kept me absent...

So...Here's the latest on my DB9 experience...

Had the opportunity not too long ago to put a few miles on it...Car ran beautifully, unfortunately that brake squealing has returned and often....It doesn't make me feel any better to know that this is a chronic problem with DB9's. So, the car is back over at the shop to go over information, and other avenues of approach on how to eliminate this problem. I do believe going with Porterfield brake pads was the correct choice. Obviously these cars can have brakes that are quiet, I know this from driving other examples. Just comes down to where the root of the problem is and obviously switching out brake pads a dozen times isn't the ONE answer.

Rob was on the phone with a rep from Porterfield and the rep groaned when he heard the car was a DB9, which isn't surprising considering all the stories I've read from other owners spending thousands in pad and rotor change out to no avail with the squeaking, and in turn selling the car because of it. Which I believe, I've mentioned somewhere before in this continuing saga.

Well, I'm a "car guy" I love the Aston Martin brand and ownership of it, and take the good with the bad. My resolve is to have that problem eliminated. Maybe the rotors need to be inspected again, maybe we need to try a different coating on the pad shims? These are just some of my amateur conclusions....My goal is of course to be able to eliminate the problem and share what procedures the shop did to overcome it. We'll get there, hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, thanks for following along!!

I really hope you find a solution. That must be very annoying. I know you will let us know if you do

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Aston Martin DB9

Old 04-28-2022, 11:48 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
This thread has been an interesting saga. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by brewersprts
I really hope you find a solution. That must be very annoying. I know you will let us know if you do
Gentlemen, I truly appreciate both your responses and well wishing. It's feedback like yours among others, that keeps me coming back to update what's going on for a model of car that honestly at the time I started this thread, I never would have thought would generate as much interest as it has. That being said, I thank you again for your feedback!!
Old 04-29-2022, 08:33 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

This is a great thread. Excellent info for current or future Aston owners!
Old 05-01-2022, 06:19 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
This is a great thread. Excellent info for current or future Aston owners!
Thanks for the kind words and praise!! I hope that whatever I contribute, does ultimately help a potential/current owner, with what I've experienced. The DB9 saw an incredible manufacturing run, and can be argued as being the most popular Aston model out there, past and present. There should be a lot more info, common problem/repair information out there, than what is presently...It's definitely gotten better but, still has a long way to go.

Folks, just remember if an Aston Martin DB9 is something you'd like to own or think about owning, and have never owned a British car before...Just take into account that it is hand built car, and will have some quirks you may not see in an American, other European or Asian car. That's not to say they're ultimately more problematic, but they do have things that are engineered differently, and obviously how they function will be different. I definitely don't want to rain on anyone's parade or potential parade if your close to buying one. My best advice before you buy is be more involved with the car overall, and arm yourself with knowledge...Talk with people who actually have a steady portfolio working on these cars all the time. The bottom line is, they can get bloody expensive rapidly with repairs and parts, if you choose to have an Aston Martin dealership working solely on your car.

Aston1936 on Youtube...Steve is a phenomenal guy, and he's put together a list of 200+ videos starting from when he first purchased his 2005 DB9 in 2015 to DIY projects till the present...I highly recommend, let me repeat that, I highly recommend watching his videos. If your confidence isn't bolstered about a DB9 purchase after a few of his videos, I don't know what would. Steve started putting the videos together just at the time I was starting to seek more owner experience input, and ultimately his videos helped greatly in my decision to pursue one for purchase. Steve is absolutely right, and he states it in his narrative about that there is so little information out there for "How To" and that it took months to get an actual service manual. (No Chilton's for DB9 I guess)

As far as my DB9 is going, Porterfield pads will be on the rear as well but, first all the brake components are off the car for the time being, and going through a look-see process. That's the latest, and nothing more sexy than that at the moment...

Until next time, thanks for following along!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Aston Martin DB9