Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Motor Trend - Z07 VS Nissan GT-R Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Maybe he was implying that they ran a record time, but just in thirds or quarters at a time, to let the car cool....
Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I'm not saying they cheated in this case. I just implied that it would be typical if they had, i.e., I took a gratuitous swipe at Nissan, in response to it being the other car in the test. That's just how I roll when I see "GT-R". I frankly didn't even pay attention to the Nismo's numbers, because I don't care. Not entirely logical, but that's how it is. I will recognize that the GT-R numbers seemed to be legit as of 2012 - cars consistently ran the same numbers as the mag tests, but again, I really don't care much about the car, so I haven't followed it

What I AM concerned about, is the Z06's numbers. I think we can all agree that it should perform better than that and that it is certainly not living up to Tadge's billing of the ultimate track machine. I'm also understanding why we are not seeing a 'ring time. The car would not be able to complete a lap without overheating and slowing down, based on what we see here. Tadge telling everyone to "just do the math" is also dishonest.

Nissan lies about the GTR whenever it suits them.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Maybe he was implying that they ran a record time, but just in thirds or quarters at a time, to let the car cool....
I don't know where the guy's head is "at" honestly. Like telling the press "there has been no discussion of a Z06" 90 days before they roll out the Z06. Maybe he's just poking fun at us and we don't have a sense of humor.

At least he is not cobbling a fictitious "ring lap" together from ideal segment times. Oops, there goes another gratuitous swipe at Nissan.

I believe they (GM) will get this sorted out, but it may be a while... When we see the car do a 7:09, we'll know the cooling is sorted out.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Just read the write up & I don't know if anyone else commented on this or not (I didn't read every post) but Motor Trend messed up the balance of the car by taking off the center wicker bill searching for more top end speed.

It's still an impressive car in my book. Only a tenth slower during 0-60 & quarter mile test against a double clutch automatic. I'm assuming a manual is more than a tenth slower than the automatic so I'm not sweating that comparison. The Z06 pulls more g's, & stops shorter.

I don't know about the overheating problem, maybe a oil cooler is the answer for guys that aren't going to just cruise around in their cars.

I still can't wait for mine to get shipped

I'd like to see another test with the stage I or II aero package with the eight speed for it to be a apples to apples test...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:46 PM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least he is not cobbling a fictitious "ring lap" together from ideal segment times. Oops, there goes another gratuitous swipe at Nissan.

not sure if that is more funny or sad in how wrong that statement is. if you wanted to intelligently take a swipe at Nissan you could say they ran the NISMO at the ring with an optional time attack upgrade package that costs more than a base Z06 and is only available in a couple countries at the moment sure.... but the ideal segment time argument you dreamed up discredits any point you are trying to get across.

look I know more about this car than any one outside of Nissan/NISMO in the entire world so I got to call that out as its clearly untrue

Last edited by M_C7; 02-03-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

I'm not saying they cheated in this case and I never answered your question because it's obvious what happened to the Z06 once it got on the track. I just implied that it would be typical if Nissan had cheated..., i.e., I took a gratuitous swipe at Nissan, in response to it being the other car in the test. That's just how I roll when I see "GT-R". I frankly didn't even pay attention to the Nismo's numbers, because I don't care. Not entirely logical, but that's how it is. I will recognize that the GT-R numbers seemed to be legit as of 2012 - cars consistently ran the same numbers as the mag tests, but again, I really don't care much about the car, so I haven't followed it

What I AM concerned about, is the Z06's numbers. I think we can all agree that it should perform better than that and that it is certainly not living up to Tadge's billing of the ultimate track machine. I'm also understanding why we are not seeing a 'ring time. The car would not be able to complete a lap without overheating and slowing down, based on what we see here. Tadge telling everyone to "just do the math" is also dishonest.
Beyond the disdain for Nissan and the GTR - we are on the same page. I also believe the Z06 has all the tools to break records - there are some issues preventing that it seems...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Just read the write up & I don't know if anyone else commented on this or not (I didn't read every post) but Motor Trend messed up the balance of the car by taking off the center wicker bill searching for more top end speed.

It's still an impressive car in my book. Only a tenth slower during 0-60 & quarter mile test against a double clutch automatic. I'm assuming a manual is more than a tenth slower than the automatic so I'm not sweating that comparison. The Z06 pulls more g's, & stops shorter.

I don't know about the overheating problem, maybe a oil cooler is the answer for guys that aren't going to just cruise around in their cars.

I still can't wait for mine to get shipped

I'd like to see another test with the stage I or II aero package with the eight speed for it to be a apples to apples test...
MT Changed the wicker AFTER the test - to see of less aero would help.

According to MT - no A8 was available for the test - this is what GM sent.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm not saying they cheated in this case and I never answered your question because it's obvious what happened to the Z06 once it got on the track. I just implied that it would be typical if Nissan had cheated..., i.e., I took a gratuitous swipe at Nissan, in response to it being the other car in the test. That's just how I roll when I see "GT-R". I frankly didn't even pay attention to the Nismo's numbers, because I don't care. Not entirely logical, but that's how it is. I will recognize that the GT-R numbers seemed to be legit as of 2012 - cars consistently ran the same numbers as the mag tests, but again, I really don't care much about the car, so I haven't followed it

inb4thetadgeisGodandneverdecievepplposte rs
Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Get it some time

Been following the C7/Z06 Forum for a while now and there just always seems to be something popping up in a negative manner,,,,,,,

Whether it is slower track times than expected, or heat soak, or creeking, squeaking, roof panels, or orange peel, it seems that it is something all the time.

I do not enjoy any of it, as I really wanted to buy one, but no way at this time.

I was concerned about the damn supercharger and that seems to be a weak link.

The preferred power plant was a N/A like the older LS 7 but because of emissions regs, they could not use it.

Stinks that GM had to settle for a 2nd choice.

I do believe that the car will get better over the next 2 years as long as all the engineering dollars are not already allocated to the Zora.

Reading the Motor Trend test at Willow against the GTR was a major bummer.

Dislke the GTR huge,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Crossofiron; 02-03-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the dislike of an inanimate object, at the least an appreciation of the engineering, etc... should be extended. Innovation in this sector is important for the future.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Not entirely true

Originally Posted by rob3
FYI, it was 2.5 sec faster than the ZR1 and 5 sec fast than the C6Z around Willow Springs. It has the fastest lap time at Willow Springs of any GM car. How do you figure a C6Z is a a better performing car, if it runs 5 sec slower per lap?

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow_springs.html
Put the same tires on both cars and see what happens.Any track with any lengthy straights and the c7 z06 is toast.Why no Nurburgring time?Cause its not good thats why.Losing to a Hellcat that weighs 4400 pounds in a roll race isnt to good either.And no mention of top speed anywhere.And the VIR time is baloney because that track has since been re designed and is much wider than when they ran the Zr1.Nice looks ,nice interior,great brakes and handling but 650 h.p should be moving a lot faster than it does.Blower, conservative tune, heat soak, whatever it is get it fixed or get ridiculed.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camirocz
Put the same tires on both cars and see what happens.Any track with any lengthy straights and the c7 z06 is toast.Why no Nurburgring time?Cause its not good thats why.Losing to a Hellcat that weighs 4400 pounds in a roll race isnt to good either.And no mention of top speed anywhere.And the VIR time is baloney because that track has since been re designed and is much wider than when they ran the Zr1.Nice looks ,nice interior,great brakes and handling but 650 h.p should be moving a lot faster than it does.Blower, conservative tune, heat soak, whatever it is get it fixed or get ridiculed.

Quoting the times from GY tired Z06 tested in '05 as was done earlier, is disingenuous at best. How about these times at Willow Springs...

1. Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:19.07 '15 599 / 1720 Randy Pobst
2. Nissan GT-R 1:19.55 '12 550 / 1736 Randy Pobst
3. Nissan GT-R 1:20.25 '11 530 / 1736 Randy Pobst
4. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 Package 1:20.43 '11 512 / 1394 Randy Pobst

Yes, let's compare apples to apples - I cut the above out of the post I had in page 3 of this opus....
Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08

Quoting the times from GY tired Z06 tested in '05 as was done earlier, is disingenuous at best. How about these times at Willow Springs...

1. Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:19.07 '15 599 / 1720 Randy Pobst
2. Nissan GT-R 1:19.55 '12 550 / 1736 Randy Pobst
3. Nissan GT-R 1:20.25 '11 530 / 1736 Randy Pobst
4. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 Package 1:20.43 '11 512 / 1394 Randy Pobst

Yes, let's compare apples to apples - I cut the above out of the post I had in page 3 of this opus....
Different track, different times.... Streets of Willow is not the same as Big Willow (aka Willow Springs).

Streets of Willow (your original post and above): http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow...of_willow.html

Willow Springs "Big Willow" (where the GT-R Nismo & the C7 Z06 ran): http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow_springs.html
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Indyzoh6
Intermediate

Chevrolet,
Cost of two linear actuators, $75. Weight, 6lbs. Attach one device to the rear spoiler and the other using linkage to the front brake ducts (along with some plastic panels to block the openings). Results, reducing the drag exponentially after 120mph, which improve efficiency, increase top speed/acceleration and lower the load on the engine which could help with overheating.

Thanks,
A valued customer who's wife has active aero on her $55k Cayman.

Last edited by Indyzoh6; 02-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Don't worry, Tadge Motors is making up for the transformer looks, bloated curb weight, undersized blower, dime store paint finish, and lack of DCT by increasing the price. You can't make this stuff up. In the last 18 months I've gone from highly likely buyer to no f'ing way would I ever touch this thing now.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by donkeyssuck
in the last 18 months i've gone from highly likely buyer to no f'ing way would i ever touch this thing now.
l
i
e
r
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
l
i
e
r

Well... he does have a donkey.... that likes to suck??

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend - Z07 VS Nissan GT-R Nismo

Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

folks...this is year ONE of the ZO6. Heat soak, if really an issue, I am sure will be worked out.

How the hell is the C7 a better daily driver than the GTR? I rode in a friends GT-R and it had the road manner of a maxima. I didn't even know I was in a sports car. I find that claim by MT suspect.

By mid production run, the C7Z will solidify itself as the best performance vette ever, IMO. If it's is not there yet, It will be soon. I will admit though, its disappointing to hear and read about all the heat soak issues.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

^lmao
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
How the hell is the C7 a better daily driver than the GTR? I rode in a friends GT-R and it had the road manner of a maxima. I didn't even know I was in a sports car. I find that claim by MT suspect.
Maybe the NISMO rides stiffer? Ala Z07 pkg? I know my friends 350 NISMO was a rough riding son of a gun but handled extremely well

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - Z07 VS Nissan GT-R Nismo