Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:06 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?

I just washed "The Other Woman" last night and the jerk husband had a Vanquish I think because he said it cost $300k.
So it got me thinking it is a beautiful car(except for his light blue color yuck) but is it really 200k better than a c7? I mean horsepower it's got a 100 more hp but a 10k or less blower could take care of that. I am sure it is manufactured with some really cool stuff.... but 200k worth?

Does James Bond driving the car in movies really help it that much? Has anybody ran a vanquish against a c7 at a road track to see what the difference in time is? Or does Aston Martin just put a large price on it to make it more special lets say.

Also when the zo6 comes out how is the Aston Martin going to compete against it? Don't get me wrong I think its a beautiful car but 200k? I don't get it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
I just washed "The Other Woman" last night and the jerk husband had a Vanquish I think because he said it cost $300k.
So it got me thinking it is a beautiful car(except for his light blue color yuck) but is it really 200k better than a c7? I mean horsepower it's got a 100 more hp but a 10k or less blower could take care of that. I am sure it is manufactured with some really cool stuff.... but 200k worth?

Does James Bond driving the car in movies really help it that much? Has anybody ran a vanquish against a c7 at a road track to see what the difference in time is? Or does Aston Martin just put a large price on it to make it more special lets say.

Also when the zo6 comes out how is the Aston Martin going to compete against it? Don't get me wrong I think its a beautiful car but 200k? I don't get it.
The reason the Aston Martin costs that much more is because it's an Aston Martin....and people will pay it. Nobody would buy an C7 if it was an extra $200k.

The Corvette is all about value for money. There is no other car in it's class that gives you better value for your hard earned dollar. But it's not an Aston Martin.

99% of the population would not pay the extra 200 grand for the AM. But Aston Martin is going after the 1% who would. It's a completed different target market than the Corvette.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

If you had $200k to blow on a car, you might then get it...

No different than why some people don't understand us blowing $70k on a Corvette when they can get a Kia for $15k.

All depends on how much money you have and what you decide to blow it on.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
If you had $200k to blow on a car, you might then get it...

No different than why some people don't understand us blowing $70k on a Corvette when they can get a Kia for $15k.

All depends on how much money you have and what you decide to blow it on.
no I don't think good analogy the vette can probably do almost the same as the Aston on the track. You could lap a Kia.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

It's materials, and operating leverage. A guy has a new AM at our golf club - beautiful car, and the entire body is carbon fiber. I terms of material, fit and finish, the AM is probably better, but the true price driver is the operating leverage. GM builds millions of cars each year, and last year over 35,000 corvettes. Their research, management, and other costs are amortized over the production volumes, which are significant. AM simply does not have the volume. Same goes for Ferrari, and to a lesser extent Porsche, although they have VW as the corporate parent in that situation.

Add tot he additional cost is the name factor, and it's easy to see why AMs cost as much as they do. I looked at one (a used one) awhile back and quickly determined that there were plenty of pristine examples a year or two old with virtually no miles for less than 1/2 of the cost of new. I still chose the C7...
Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

People buy 200K+ cars because they can.

AM gets that much because they can.

Its like a Rolex vs a Timex, both do the same thing equally as well but not everyone can afford a Rolex. Its a status symbol, more power to the buyers who can afford them - wish I was one of them
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

For the difference in price all you get is a name.

I like my choice of a c7 and my money can stay in the bank for other things.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
For the difference in price all you get is a name.

I like my choice of a c7 and my money can stay in the bank for other things.
I'm also happy with my choice of a C7 (whenever I get it).

But give me a Powerball lottery win, and a Aston Martin may very well be in my garage next to my Z51.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Aston Martin equals $$$ and Status, Corvette equals Chevy and Midlife.
Bottom line is the Aston is not worth anything near that much money over the Vette but it is what it is. Perception versus fact.

Last edited by dvilin; 08-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Probably a couple of reasons (and can include Corvette buyers also):

1. People have a desire to fit in, whether at school, work or in social circles. For this reason, people sometimes buy brands because they believe the brands will contribute to greater social acceptance.

2. Sometimes they buy a product for the first time in hopes that it provides a quality experience. Recognized brand names typically have shown a consistency in product quality or performance that has contributed to the evolution of the brand.

3. Some people buy certain brands to support their personal or professional image. Buying a Porsche or other higher-priced car brand or designer suits can contribute to your image as a high-class, well-to-do or sophisticated professional.

4. Sometimes they just want to own something cool!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
It's materials, and operating leverage. A guy has a new AM at our golf club - beautiful car, and the entire body is carbon fiber. I terms of material, fit and finish, the AM is probably better, but the true price driver is the operating leverage. GM builds millions of cars each year, and last year over 35,000 corvettes. Their research, management, and other costs are amortized over the production volumes, which are significant. AM simply does not have the volume. Same goes for Ferrari, and to a lesser extent Porsche, although they have VW as the corporate parent in that situation.

Add tot he additional cost is the name factor, and it's easy to see why AMs cost as much as they do. I looked at one (a used one) awhile back and quickly determined that there were plenty of pristine examples a year or two old with virtually no miles for less than 1/2 of the cost of new. I still chose the C7...
good post. your right they don't have the volume to make up for the R and D but I for one wouldn't pay for it unless I was making silly money and then I would want a Lambo or Ferrari instead.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

James Bond drives a DBS and they are $200k over the C7. The Vanquish was the smaller body like the Vantage but with a bigger engine. The DB9 is in the middle. I had a used DB9 which i bought from original owner that was 4 years old but only 6500 miles. He took a $100k dep hit. The paint, interior, 12 cylinder alum engine was flawless and totally handbuilt. The paint process takes 25 hours and the interior leather still smelled new after 4 years. The styling was voted the "sexist car ever built". I sold it and my ZR1 to buy the C7 and i've never looked back. The C7 may not have the "status" of the Aston but performance and value trumps the "look what i can afford" card. Just my prospective. Others may disagree.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM
A Solid Rock
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the extra $200k could be the added cost of the summer run flat tires they use?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Because someone is willing to pay $200K for it.

The reason why dont understand the price of an Aston Martin, is because you are not shopping for a car in AM price range. When that day comes that can comfortably afford a $200K car and you go shopping for one in that price range, I'll bet one of the last choices on your list is a 2014 Stingray. Why? Because you can afford something that is deemed 'better'. Notice I didnt say faster, I said 'better'. Better does not have to mean that AM offers more value.. better could be defined as many different things. Better could even be as simply defined as being more rare, exclusive and exotic. After all is that the reason why a diamond costs so much? Dont millions of people pay more for a diamond when a synthetic crystal gives the same look?

If we are really going to start questioning the price of cars and what we actually use them for then lets be realistic about this: Very, very few people in the world have a real use for a brand new $60,000 C7. I can buy a used C6 in great condition for $20,000 almost any day. Is a brand new C7 really worth 3x as much as a used C6? Why would you spend $60K on a new C7.. when you could have bought a used C6 for $20K. The same answer to that question is that same reason why an Aston Martin cost $200K. Because you wanted it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by CdnVetteOwner
I'm also happy with my choice of a C7 (whenever I get it).

But give me a Powerball lottery win, and a Aston Martin may very well be in my garage next to my Z51.
what color is your C7?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't driven a C7 yet, however a C4, C5 and C6. I have also driven a DBS.

I'd take what I believe the C7 will be over the DBS, even the C6.

While the DBS is an exceptional automobile and I did get a lot more thumbs up driving it over my C6, it was nerve racking. I believe the C6 outperformed it, at least in my eyes.

I was more willing to push a C6 to its limits than a DBS ($275k car) due to the fact of possibly losing it. The interior was a definite improvement but the overall performance, I'll stick with a C6 or soon to be C7.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

As my Father always said, things are only worth what people will pay for them.

Many look at the price of a new Corvette and think, why is that Car worth two times as much as my new Pickup Truck? It's all relative.

Last edited by Second Vette; 08-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

no I don't think good analogy the vette can probably do almost the same as the Aston on the track. You could lap a Kia.
Some people have different priorities when buying a car. It's not all just about going around a track the fastest. Just because one car is faster doesn't mean it's worth more. Maybe to you, but not to a lot of people.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

Originally Posted by themonk
what color is your C7?
It will be Laguna Blue with a Jet Black interior. Can't wait to get it. But I suspect it will be awhile.

I see your in Calgary as well. Love to perhaps get together when I get it, unless it's in January of course.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Some people have different priorities when buying a car. It's not all just about going around a track the fastest. Just because one car is faster doesn't mean it's worth more. Maybe to you, but not to a lot of people.

I hear this all the time on the forum. People actually think they are buying a race car when they buy a Corvette.
A Corvette or Aston Martin will not legally get me around this island any faster than someone in a Kia.

Quick Reply: Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?