Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

FS: 1968 CHEVELLE SS CONVERTIBLE 396 My Father's car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default FS: 1968 CHEVELLE SS CONVERTIBLE 396 My Father's car

Info is all below verbatim from my father, and he is a straight shooter, no BS guy. He is only considering selling as his health has not been the best in the past few years, and the cars literally sit there other than when he goes out and drives it around the block once every 2 months or so. My father (Fred) can be reached at 954-614-7653 or fam13@bellsouth.net, or you can PM me if you feel more comfortable having me discuss instead. Car is currently in his garage in Weston, FL.

Photobucket Album (Its the Red car):
http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/Ma...slideshow/Cars

1968 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 Convertible:
The Chevelle is a REAL SS 396 Convertible, as confirmed by the Vehicle ID Number. There were only 2200 of this model made in 1968, so it is quite rare. In 1968 this was the last year that someone could reliably confirm via the VIN that the car is a REAL SS and a REAL Convertible. After 1969, buyers can only rely on a “build sheet” which is easily counterfeited, thereby there are a lot of fake SS cars in 1969 and later. At the top of the market, these cars were selling for over $90,000 to $100,000 and up.

Features include:
The car has the rare optional 4 speaker stereo with an exquisite 8-Track player, that looks brand new. Also has the Convertible Power Top option. Since summer in Florida is quite hot, we installed an aftermarket Air Conditioning unit. If you want, the A/C can be easily removed. We have made the car as original as possible, but we also made a few modern upgrades to make it easier to drive and much better performance. When Jose rebuilt the Big Block 396 cubic inch engine, he installed a few engine modifications to make more horsepower, we are estimating the engine puts out somewhere in the 400HP range. The engine has Power Pro Forged Pistons, Eagle Connecting Rods, Forged Crankshaft, Lunati Voodoo Street Performance Camshaft, Roller Rockers, Edlebrock Aluminum Intake, Holley Dual Pump 4 Barrel Carburetor, Hooker Stainless Headers 2 ˝ inch Dual Exhaust going into a custom 3 inch exhaust system with B-Bands at the Collectors for easy disassembly. We installed a reproduction (identical to the original) all Aluminum High Output Radiator to handle the engine cooling. We installed a performance rebuilt Transmission, a 700R4 Automatic with a 2200 Stall Torque Converter, which has an overdrive, so the car can drive 70 MPH on the highway with the engine only turning a low RPMs. This helps performance and gas mileage and make long trips smoother. We have Hotchkins Performance Suspension Springs, Bilstein Shock Absorbers and wider tires to handle the extra horsepower. We also added front Disk Brakes to improve stopping power. The car originally came with Power Brakes, so we installed a new beautiful Power Brake Booster & Master Brake Cylinder that looks like an exact original. Of course, all new stainless steel brake and fuel lines were installed. All new correct wiring harnesses were also installed. The gas tank is new. The car came with original Posi-Traction Rear End Differential, which we installed an upgraded 3.73 Ratio Differential Posi for better performance. The Power Convertible Top is also a rare option, of which we installed brand new pump motor, lines and cylinders to make sure the power top functions perfectly and smoothly. Other than the upgrades, we tried to use all Original NOS (New Old Stock) GM parts during the restoration. The car has been garage kept and not driven much since it was restored. During the restoration we tried to professionally powdercoat every metal part that we could. The convertible top frame, the actual frame of the car, most of the suspension parts are all powdercoated for beauty and protection. All metal body work was performed by professionals. Prior to painting, the body on the car was blocked numerous times, as the body is PERFECTLY straight with no ripples or waves in any of the body panels. The paint used was a high end SIKKENS paint http://www.sikkens.net/sikkenscr/us/Pages/HomePage.aspx , Base Coat and Clear Coat using the original color scheme. The paint is a original Burgundy Maroon metallic and depending on the sunlight, looks like a deep red color. We receive all kinds of compliments wherever we drive. People are amazed when they see this car.

Haggerty values this car on a Condition 2 (Yellow line on the graph) at $91,700
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=389380
I would easily rate this car a “Condition 2, based on their chart. And it also shows that prices are increasing. If you follow the yellow line on the graph, it states this car value on May 2014.
Even a Condition 3 is valued at $72, 700.
While this is not an “L-78” car, which has the 4 speed Manual Transmission, the difference being mine has the automatic transmission.

Price: $67,000
Attached Images       

Last edited by pikemike428; 08-24-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: TITLE FIX
Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Both the Vette and the Chevelle are amazing.

More importantly, we hope that your father's health improves.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Both the Vette and the Chevelle are amazing.

More importantly, we hope that your father's health improves.
Thank you! No fun having fun cars if you can't enjoy them. He has put ALOT of sweat into both of them, so hopefully they go to a good home if the right owner comes along.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Bump
Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM
thelongwait
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really nice car, the engine compartment is really clean, nope your dad's health improves.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Famester
Advanced

Originally Posted by thelongwait
really nice car, the engine compartment is really clean, nope your dad's health improves.
Hi, I haven't been on this forum in a long time, thanks for your comments, but I need to have a complete rotisserie restoration performed on MY body
It sucks getting old.
The pictures do not do justice to this car. The underside of the car is amazing. I am going to try and post some more pictures.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Famester
Advanced

I wanted to make a correction to the listing.
I was informed, and since it has been a long time since I even dealt with any specifications concerning these cars, I made an error in one of my statements.
Whereas Hagerty places the market value on the Chevelle as an L-78 car, my car is NOT an L-78, which is what I said in the listing.
But besides the transmission, there is also another difference in it, as although my vehicle has more horsepower (400 HP plus) than an L-78 (at only 375HP), my car does not have a factory L-78 engine, which has square port heads, a dual pane aluminum intake manifold by Winters and a solid lifter cam.
The engine on the Chevelle had head work performed by Xtreme Cylinder Heads http://www.xtremecylinderheads.com/, roller rockers, Edelbrock Aluminum Intake Manifold and a Voodoo Lunati Cam.

Sorry for any confusion
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Famester
Advanced

I added a bunch of pictures to Photobucket.
Especially many pictures of the engine assembly and the underside of the car.
I am in the process of adding descriptions and comments.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

That is one clean Chevelle! GLWS As for the vette, you can never go wrong with that color combination!!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Beautiful car.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
That is one clean Chevelle! GLWS As for the vette, you can never go wrong with that color combination!!
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Beautiful car.
Thanks guys

TTT
Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did a frame off on a 68 138 hardtop ..It was Gresian Green...all numbers and all paperwork from day of delivery..Bank check the whole deal .Even had the piece of paper that owner had that his friends helped go through options ..Pretty basic 375 HP /400 BENCH SEAT
Mine had Buick seats as most did in the early run as seats were hard to get . The build sheet detailed the swap of features and it solved many questions folks had over the years..Not to disappoint or even try to slam your car ,as it is nice ,but 68 will always be the red headed step child of the Chevelle crowd..I ended up selling the car to a gentleman in Australia and
he loved the bench seats and green color ....
Hope you dad improves and gets some more time to enjoy his cars..
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Famester
Advanced

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
I did a frame off on a 68 138 hardtop ..It was Gresian Green...all numbers and all paperwork from day of delivery..Bank check the whole deal .Even had the piece of paper that owner had that his friends helped go through options ..Pretty basic 375 HP /400 BENCH SEAT
Mine had Buick seats as most did in the early run as seats were hard to get . The build sheet detailed the swap of features and it solved many questions folks had over the years..Not to disappoint or even try to slam your car ,as it is nice ,but 68 will always be the red headed step child of the Chevelle crowd..I ended up selling the car to a gentleman in Australia and
he loved the bench seats and green color ....
Hope you dad improves and gets some more time to enjoy his cars..
Basically it comes down to an individuals opinion on anything they own or are considering to purchase. I myself would place a 1968 either second or third in desirability, with #1 being 1970 of course and maybe 1967 in a close second. I don't like the 1969 as much due to the large tail lights, the plastic grille and no vent windows. I happen to think the rarity of a real 138678 Trim/VIN red convertible SS with optional bucket seats and a center console shifter is much more desirable than a green hardtop with a bench seat and a column shifter. Also in 1969 and newer, buyers have to rely on a build sheet to confirm the authenticity of a car (which can be easily counterfeited) whereas in 1968 and before the VIN tells you it is the real deal.
As to my health, I thank everyone for their kind wishes, but it appears, while nothing I have is terminal, I doubt I will be improving any. It is amazing how many different medical conditions one can get, my doctors ask me what I did to deserve all the crap that is wrong with me.

I said, I enjoyed growing up, just not old

Last edited by Famester; 09-04-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes you are right ..I have no desire to say which is more appealing .The reason I put this back as original was to save another from disappearing ...The bench seat ,the Green color, and column are top of Australias dream ride ..could only be better with 4 doors . My choices also would be close to yours...

My nephew has a Blue stripe delete LS6 4speed he has been working on for a long time and body is now off to paint. He thinks working part time 3/4 years. . before we go for a ride ..Give your Dad a hug ...I miss mine every day

Get notified of new replies

To FS: 1968 CHEVELLE SS CONVERTIBLE 396 My Father's car

Quick Reply: FS: 1968 CHEVELLE SS CONVERTIBLE 396 My Father's car