Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

hard starting car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hard starting car

I think I have an idea of what this is but want to double check as I don't want to have to replace it in case I'm wrong...

It has been VERY VERY hot lately 100+ degrees in my garage. When I go to start my car it turns over then dies.

I prime the fuel line / pressure by turning ignition on and off several times w/o going to start (motor off). Then going to start it kicks right over and runs fine. Or if I give it gas when turning it over it starts up.

My guess is (1) fuel map is wrong for temperature - my hope or (2) fuel pump is going out.

I'm going to run a bunch of fuel cleaner through it. Then replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't do it I'm guessing it's either the pump or the pressure regulator.

Any other suggestions before I empty my wallet into the car again lol

FYI. It's a 1998 buick century. I just love the car too much to get rid of it. Great car about 100k on pump. 80k on motor. 170k on car.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would check the Throttle Position Sensor it might not be reading right.

They are easy to check with a volt meter, you don't need anything fancy just a 5 buck one from harbor fright.

You should be able to find the test procedure for your car online.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 AM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you read the OB 2 codes . Fuel pressure checker from Harbor Freight cheap too and easy to use .
Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're both lifesavers I will have to pickup those tools at harbor freight and scan my car at the parts store.

I have done the throttle position sensor check on other cars. It's pretty straight forward, I hadn't thought of it though. Thanks!!

I didn't think to check stuff upstream of the pump in the system - suppose that's why they call me a backyard mechanic lol

It's actually working perfectly now though. It was approaching 110 degrees outside when it was hard to start. I'm kind of wondering if that wasn't part of the problem.

Now it's more survivable weather.

Get notified of new replies

To hard starting car