Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z

Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Thanks for posting. If you haven't done so, I would recommend getting the front of the car clear wrapped. The front end of these cars are stone chip magnets. The rough part is stay below the recommended RPM during break in. Have you joined Planet 9 forum yet?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alamike
From my experience, I never thought Mazda's were all that reliable compared to Toyota or Nissan. I owned three Mazda's from 1980 to 2004. If you look at JD Power, Porsche is higher on reliability food chain than Mazda.
I've owned 8 Mazdas and not one gave me the problems that coworkers' Porsches gave them during the same time/mileage span. The longest I've owned any was 17 years (MX6 GT Turbo). At 25 years old, it's multiple gasket leak repair cost didn't justify keeping it any longer, but overall, was a very reliable car, indeed.
Take whatJD Powers publishes with a grain of salt. Check any Consumer Reports annual auto issue. The MX5, in particular is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road and maintenance costs are miniscule. (a real rarity for a sportscar) The only data for the Boxster is for the 07 and 08 models. Not enough subscribers have purchased new 09-13 models to compile significant reliability scores. Of course, our Lexus has been our most reliable vehicle (after 9 years), but at almost twice the cost of our 2014 Mazda 3, it should be stellar in that regard.
Hopefully, the Boxster/Cayman twins prove to be reliable. But knowing the Japanese obsession with quality, it will be tough for any German manufacturer to match Japanese vehicle reliability, dollar for dollar and year after year.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
I've owned 8 Mazdas and not one gave me the problems that coworkers' Porsches gave them during the same time/mileage span. The longest I've owned any was 17 years (MX6 GT Turbo). At 25 years old, it's multiple gasket leak repair cost didn't justify keeping it any longer, but overall, was a very reliable car, indeed.
Take whatJD Powers publishes with a grain of salt. Check any Consumer Reports annual auto issue. The MX5, in particular is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road and maintenance costs are miniscule. (a real rarity for a sportscar) The only data for the Boxster is for the 07 and 08 models. Not enough subscribers have purchased new 09-13 models to compile significant reliability scores. Of course, our Lexus has been our most reliable vehicle (after 9 years), but at almost twice the cost of our 2014 Mazda 3, it should be stellar in that regard.
Hopefully, the Boxster/Cayman twins prove to be reliable. But knowing the Japanese obsession with quality, it will be tough for any German manufacturer to match Japanese vehicle reliability, dollar for dollar and year after year.
Dave has a bizarre hatred of Porsche. Complete bug up his *** about the brand.

Setting aside the fact that the Cayman will still drive better than a modified Miata (with its warranty out the window), there is a spectacular difference in beauty and quality between the two. You can't compare the visceral experience of walking up to a beautiful sports car, dropping into perfect leather seats, firing up a sweet sounding flat six... to driving a hopped up Miata.

Get real Dave. You are stretching really far to sell your Porsche hate on this one.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:17 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Why don't you go troll on a Mazda forum.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Dave has a bizarre hatred of Porsche. Complete bug up his *** about the brand.

Setting aside the fact that the Cayman will still drive better than a modified Miata (with its warranty out the window), there is a spectacular difference in beauty and quality between the two. You can't compare the visceral experience of walking up to a beautiful sports car, dropping into perfect leather seats, firing up a sweet sounding flat six... to driving a hopped up Miata.

Get real Dave. You are stretching really far to sell your Porsche hate on this one.
It's called jealousy and a pathetic attempt to make others feel bad.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by alamike
Thanks for posting. If you haven't done so, I would recommend getting the front of the car clear wrapped. The front end of these cars are stone chip magnets. The rough part is stay below the recommended RPM during break in. Have you joined Planet 9 forum yet?
Thanks,Yes to Planet 9,same U.N. I had "autobon film on my Z. This car is leased and stone chips within reason are a given so I'm not as inclined to make that investment for Porsche. I intend to turn it in after the 30 month term is over for a new something.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 08-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Japanese Quility?????

Hey ,Tell that to a coworker of mine whos Tacoma pick ups' frame and bed rusted out before his eyes so bad that Toyota bought back his and others like it back from their owners. Or the "Unintended Acceration"issues. I've owned VW, Audi, Mercedes and now Porsche over the last 10 years/loged a total of 150K miles without any loss of use . My sons Subarus ,yes they bought 2 of them, sound like "Tin cans" when you close their doors. The Asians already have gotten enough of my money and time (work related). German engineering IMO is at the pinnacle of the automotive industry with American car makers beginning to "bit at their heels.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Hah, 150K is all you got? We've got a combined total of 400,000 miles on our vehicles with no to few issues. Of course, none is German. Our families have been punished enough by German cars over the years to have taught us a bittersweet lesson: Performance doesn't necessarily make up for frequent trips to the repair shop.

And no, this isn't a Porsche forum. "Other Cars" means just that - anyone can comment, not just current Porsche owners.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hah, 150K is all you got? We've got a combined total of 400,000 miles on our vehicles with no to few issues. Of course, none is German. Our families have been punished enough by German cars over the years to have taught us a bittersweet lesson: Performance doesn't necessarily make up for frequent trips to the repair shop.

And no, this isn't a Porsche forum. "Other Cars" means just that - anyone can comment, not just current Porsche owners.
Good point. I think the only we can really settle this is by seeing who can throw out more anecdotes and invented statistics.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

To sum up your post, the Miata is superior to any German car if you want to be ultra cheap.

Miata's without LSx's suck.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Romulus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave's a pretty transparent troll.. I wouldn't pay him any attention.

Enjoy the car. It's great
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by White Out
To sum up your post, the Miata is superior to any German car if you want to be ultra cheap.

Miata's without LSx's suck.
Last year, while attending an MX5 get-together, here in San Diego, a guy in a newer Ferrari dropped by to check out the Miatas and MX5s. He sat in my 08 to see how it felt and when I asked him why he was checking out these cars, he replied that he wanted to drive one on the track. He had been told, many times that there is nothing as inexpensive and fun as the Miata. It is very evident when you check out the stats that show more Miatas being raced at any given time than any other sportscar.

In fact, in 2009, English automotive critic Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it fourteen.
So no, you don't need an LSX to enjoy a Miata. Like many Porsches, it's not about only speed and acceleration. No stock Cayman will beat an equal year Corvette in that regard, for example.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

If: 1) my ***** suddenly found themselves in a pair of vice grips, 2) I started developing a fetish of wearing women's clothing and makeup; and 3) watching "The View" suddenly became appealing, I'd love to drive a Miata.

Until then, no thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
If: 1) my ***** suddenly found themselves in a pair of vice grips, 2) I started developing a fetish of wearing women's clothing and makeup; and 3) watching "The View" suddenly became appealing, I'd love to drive a Miata.

Until then, no thanks.
Ignorant post, the haters always say that.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
Yes, the Miata is very cheap to operate. But karts are cheaper and faster.
Karts are street legal? News to me....
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm not a hater. I'm just a not-liker.

I'm sure a Miata is a hoot to drive, but I wouldn't be caught in one unless it was a friend or relative driving THEIR miata.

That Dave68 continually talks about mazads this and mazdas that around here, as if a miata is a valid comparison to a vette for a sports car. A miata is a valid comparison to whatever car is in its category, no? Somehow i don't think a vette is in that category.

Would you be caught in a minivan as a young single guy? What's that, no? Are you a Sienna or Town & Country hater?

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Ignorant post, the haters always say that.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Karts are street legal? News to me....
It was in reference to Miata's being raced. No new news, Karts aren't street legal.

But lets continue on how Miata is relevant to Porsche in any way besides having two seats and four tires.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Before buying my C5, I had a 1996 first gen Miata. Although it was fun and handled like it was on-rails, I looked ridiculous in it! I sort of looked like a circus bear in a toy car. I sold it after a couple of years of driving it incognito because I never felt comfortable. That is the problem with the Miata. It is a great car, but damn!........can't they at least make it look a little more muscular and less like it belongs in a "Cars" movie? If Mazda could do that, it would be fantastic. A performance car needs to look good and make the person driving it look good.

The Porsche Cayman has the great looks and the performance. The whole package is there. However for me, there is one aspect of the Boxster/ Cayman which was a deal breaker when I was shopping for a sportscar. I do all of my own maintenance and what is important to me is easy access to the engine bay and a great looking engine. Porsche always have this tendency to hide their engines as if they were not meant to be seen or touched. I love opening my hood and working on or showing off a great looking engine and engine bay. If I can't do that "easily", the deal is off no matter how good the car is. Ferrari for example, put their engine on display under a plexiglass cover for everyone to see and admire. So does Lamborghini, and Audi with the R8's and most other mid-engine sports car manufacturers. Why does Porsche not consider this important or necessary with their sports cars? Obviously, the cars are not meant for people who consider engines a work of art or a thing of beauty.

But, congrats on your purchase. As I said, it is a great car! Enjoy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z