Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale
View Poll Results: If you were in the market for a Viper, which would you prefer
Heavy modded Gen II GTS
23.53%
New, or almost new, Gen V GTS
73.53%
Neither. I'd get a Gen III / IV
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Just wanted to get an opinion from the Corvette Forum guys about which car they would choose. I'll be looking to get a Viper in the somewhat near future. I know there's some Viper hate around here, but I've always loved the Viper and the Vette, and would like to own both. I'm torn between going with the new Gen V or a heavily modified Gen II. The car would mainly be used for weekend driving and car shows, no track days. Obviously, the interior and the build quality of the Gen V is better. The gen IIs are built more like kit cars. Here's a couple of examples of what I'd be looking for. I wouldn't rule out a gen iii/iv, but I love the curvy body lines of the gen II and gen V. Here's a couple examples of what I'd be looking for:

'96 GTS Heffner Twin Turbo (866whp/ 925tq) - Price isn't listed, but believe I saw it on another site for around $65k

http://www.viperexchange.com/vehicle...-tx-id-6709420

2013 SRT Viper Launch Edition ~ $110K

Last edited by Mr Guns; 06-26-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I've driven a Gen2 before, and sat in 2013 - that alone would make me choose the 2013 all day...every day
Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2014 Gen V TA and they are great cars! I also know a 2013 LE that might be on the market (used barely). Regardless you should buy either of them from Bernie at BJ. I have seen that Heffner car a couple times in person and it's a great looking car. Bernie owner of BJ Motors handles all of the new Viper sales at Tomball Dodge and can help you find a Launch Edition. He knows the one I am talking about.

Good luck dude! Tell him Andy Wheeler sent you.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

it would be tough for me to pass on a clean well done tt viper...esp that blue w the white stripes! good luck w your decision. Talk to NytemereZ here..he is a viper guy
Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
I own a 2014 Gen V TA and they are great cars! I also know a 2013 LE that might be on the market (used barely). Regardless you should buy either of them from Bernie at BJ. I have seen that Heffner car a couple times in person and it's a great looking car. Bernie owner of BJ Motors handles all of the new Viper sales at Tomball Dodge and can help you find a Launch Edition. He knows the one I am talking about.

Good luck dude! Tell him Andy Wheeler sent you.

I will definitely check with Bernie before I buy. Looking at their "sold" section, they've had a lot of nice cars come through there. I'm not sure how soon I will be buying. Depends on how soon I can unload some real estate, and it's a bit complicated because there's family involved. The blue and white gen ii I listed above looks awesome but may not be available when I'm ready to pull the trigger, and the Viper market is so small, it looks like one might have to wait a while for the right color combo with the right mods to come along (if I go the gen ii route).

Last edited by Mr Guns; 06-26-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Gen 5 TA owner here and that's how I'm voting. Either way, you will be exclusive.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Had an 02 gts, then an 06 coupe, now a 2013 srt. The 02 was slightly modded, the others 100% stock.

A warranty is more important to me than TT. I use my srt as an almost daily driver. I have no interest in racing of any type, and not impressed by hp numbers or power that is unusable. The Gen 5 is way more comfortable and user-friendly than previous Gens. On the other, the roughness and crudeness of a Gen 2 (relatively), has its own appeal.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I love the Gen II GTS looks but if you plan to keep it and baby it, get the original one.

If you want to keep it for a year or two and kick the crap out of and sell it, go for the TT.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just started looking at Vipers myself. I really love the look of the Gen 2 and I think they will be a true collector car in the next 20 years. I am looking at stock or if modified I am looking at a Hennessey Viper. I am not a big fan of his, but he had real good records and even numbered his cars back then. I really like the looks of the new Vipers but they are a lot of money at $100k+. I know I would really enjoy the creature comforts it provides, though. Luckily I have time to decide, and don't need to rush into any decision. Good luck on your quest.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

they are a lot of money at $100k+.
You can pay that much, but you do not have to. I paid about $20k below the $108K sticker.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete W
I just started looking at Vipers myself. I really love the look of the Gen 2 and I think they will be a true collector car in the next 20 years. I am looking at stock or if modified I am looking at a Hennessey Viper. I am not a big fan of his, but he had real good records and even numbered his cars back then. I really like the looks of the new Vipers but they are a lot of money at $100k+. I know I would really enjoy the creature comforts it provides, though. Luckily I have time to decide, and don't need to rush into any decision. Good luck on your quest.
I wonder what the general opinion is of Hennessey cars among Viper owners, considering he (allegedly) ripped off a bunch of owners? Gen IIs may be the best way to go financially since I don't see them depreciating any more at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in value in the near future. Thanks and good luck to you as well.

Chicago Motor Cars has a launch edition with 2,500 miles that they've dropped the price down to $101k. I think they had it listed around $109K for a while and no one bit. Seems like prices are still coming down.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Even my Dodge dealer told me, the car was way overpriced. He said wait if you can, prices will settle to where they should be. The srt base is one hell of a car for around $88-90k. The GTS is going to cost more. All the options make the car vary so much in price. Striping along can add 000s to the cost.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Pete...I would research a TT car very thoroughly and also look at UGR and Heffner....just sayin
Old 06-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Even my Dodge dealer told me, the car was way overpriced. He said wait if you can, prices will settle to where they should be. The srt base is one hell of a car for around $88-90k. The GTS is going to cost more. All the options make the car vary so much in price. Striping along can add 000s to the cost.
I wish full stripes were available on the srt base car or T/A. I don't care so much about the other options. I love the blue / white, but I'd be open to other colors as well as long as I could get full stripes. I wonder how getting a solid color and adding stripes would affect resale value? I know with the striped cars, the stripes are painted on first and there's no edge between the stripes and the the rest of the car.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did anyone see the Watkins Glenn race this weekend? The Red with white stripe vipers looked beautiful. They put in a good showing too. They finished 2nd in class to the Corvette, of course.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

I guess I'll jump into the fire.

I'm a diehard Corvette nut, I have had at least 50 or so over the years. At present I have a 60, 67 BB Coupe, 12 ZR1, 13 GS.

However my evil alter ego is from the darkside (Viperfish)

My Viper addiction started a long time ago when I ended up taking a Gen 1 in trade for a motorcycle I had. I only kept a couple months as I was sure it's mission in life was to kill me.

Then about 6 years ago a buddy bought a 99 coupe and I drove it and it was back on. Looked for some time and found a very nice 02 GTS and it followed me home.

I really loved that little hot rod but got wanderlust for an ACR so as luck would have it a Gen 4 showed up on the radar and it followed me home and I reluctantly sold off the GTS (missed it the day after I sold it and still do)

The ACR is a monster I would rater have it than any modded gen 2, it is a full blown race car with a small dent in the rear for a license plate. I raced it, drove it every where and it is just a flat out GREAT piece of Detroit Muscle. It was a tough call which car I would take out in the morning, the ZR1 or the ACR. You hear a lot of bull about "they are too hot, uncomfortable, bla bla bla" after the event in Charlotte Karen and me drove 13 hours non stop except for fuel and food back to SW Florida and it was a great trip, neither of us was hot or fatigued.

So I joined the Viper forum and spent a fair amount of time there. Every couple years they have an event they call VOI, Viper Owners Invitational and it is cool. In 2012 it was in Charlotte, NC at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and ZMax dragstrip. We were there for 3 days and got to race on both tracks, it is a very memorable event to be sure. BTW the VOI is in Texas and we will be running on the COA F1 track as well as the strip.

All was going fantastic until, on the second day a tractor and trailer pulled into the parking area. Ralph Gilles (CEO of SRT) was there and made us all promises to keep a secret as to what was in the trucks. Yes there were roomers, whispers, gossip, speculation etc. When the gates did open the new Gen 5 was rolled out, 4 or 5 of them. I knew right then and there I was in deep trouble, Karen said "that is one drop dead gorgeous hot rod, when do we get one?"

Then the finial nail in the coffin was when Ralph told us that no one outside the company had driven one yet BUT if we had driven our snakes to the event, I know you are going to wave the bs flag but truth, we were going to able to drive one of the test mules with one of the engineers in the passenger seat.

I got an invite to run up to Detroit for a day at the factory, unbelievable. Here she is in just frame

A couple weeks later they sent me some pictures at the end of the line

I love this shot, I call it Detroit muscle building Detroit muscle.

So after a year of waiting we got our Gen 5 GTS 1 of 1 Viper Race Yellow with the SRT hood but full GTS stripes.

Just sayin that is a 2 day old Lambo in the background and not a soul is looking at it, just sayin.

Ralph and me standing beside BAD ASP1

I know it's kind of...well...you know but I asked him to sign the motor, he said he was flattered..

So now to try to answer your question.

I love the look of the Gen 2, sexy and draws a lot of attention.

The ACR is just outstanding in every way but it can and will bite you given half a chance.

Gen 5 best all round Viper. I think it has it all, style, comfort, power and I know you'll find it hard to believe but it does have a few creature comforts...even..dare I say? Cruise control!

I would not buy any modded Viper or Vette for that mater, that's just me. I think if someone put that kind of cash into mods it's been beat, could be wrong, don't know. Also, just a word to the wise, if you are considering a modded Viper, in my honest opinion, you should go to a qualified Viper driving school to learn how to drive it. I would even consider going prior to buying one if you need a little more experience with driving a hot rod, like this. I have driven a 740 HP Gen 2 that was done right and I will tell you it is not for the faint of heart.

There is only one way to find the right one for you and that is to go drive them, and I don't mean just around the block, take it for a real drive. You may not find someone to let you drive a Gen 5 but if you ever get down to SW Florida, look me up and we'll take one for a little cruise.

Good luck in your venture. Either way you will get bitten by the "Dark Side"

Last edited by Capt Van; 07-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Great write up captain!!!

Im loving my TA!! and the attn it gets is unreal...!

Get notified of new replies

To Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Thanks for sharing, Capt Van. I really enjoyed reading your story and the photos as well. That's awesome about Ralph Gilles showing up with the Gen V! All of your snakes look great, but the Gen V yellow / black is extremely stunning. I've wondered what full stripes would look like with the srt hood, and now I know. It looks great!

I'm still not sure what direction I want to go with purchasing. I think the only way I'd ever own a heavily modded Gen II would be to buy one already built. I just can't see dumping all that money in a car that I could never recover. But I'm also aware that with a car making that much power, things are going to break. The Gen V still makes a lot of power and has reliability and warranty on it's side. As far as driving school, did your gen V purchase come with a school included? My C7 purchase came with a discounted rate at Spring Mountain which I may take advantage of, however the C7 is pretty docile compared to the Viper.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I you have the coin I would go for the Gen V over the twin turbo Gen II no question. Not only the V is likely going to be faster it's a light years better when it comes to refinement, build quality, fit and finish and interior.

I would personally rather have a Gen 4 ACR over a Gen 5 but if you have to question it then it's the Gen5 no question.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
Thanks for sharing, Capt Van. I really enjoyed reading your story and the photos as well. That's awesome about Ralph Gilles showing up with the Gen V! All of your snakes look great, but the Gen V yellow / black is extremely stunning. I've wondered what full stripes would look like with the srt hood, and now I know. It looks great!

Thanks, I'm not sure if the SRT hood is available on a GTS, my understanding is this was very limited but good luck.

As far as driving school, did your gen V purchase come with a school included?

Umm no, I guess they figure if you are buying one you should know how to drive one.

My C7 purchase came with a discounted rate at Spring Mountain which I may take advantage of, however the C7 is pretty docile compared to the Viper.

My 1st ZR1 as well as this one came with the Spring Mountain school. I highly recommend going you will amazed how much you will gain from going, in fact pay the extra cash to stay for the 3rd day and stay at one on the condos on the property.
Originally Posted by TonyCool
I you have the coin I would go for the Gen V over the twin turbo Gen II no question. Not only the V is likely going to be faster it's a light years better when it comes to refinement, build quality, fit and finish and interior.

I would personally rather have a Gen 4 ACR over a Gen 5 but if you have to question it then it's the Gen5 no question.
Good info, Tony, the ACR is a hard habit to break, but I can't stress enough that it demands your full attention...all the time.

Quick Reply: Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition