Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

porsche 9 a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche 9 a lemon

Is customer service bad at Porsche??? Maybe they gotten big headed or become more like VW???

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/porsche-guy-money-back-video-140054300.html

Link to video. .
http://youtu.be/-eXUnZrykDY

Last edited by darkhorsevette; 04-18-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:26 AM
ThumperNC24
Pro

He updated, they are giving him a full refund or an identical car - his choice.

They handled it poorly, but at least they are doing the right thing now.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Their profit margin is among the highest in the world. Yes, they are big headed.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I've read Porsches customer service has been rated excellent over the years but I've seen the past two videos of this guy and know the story so I'm not sure what to think of it. As far as I know, he did talk to service of porscje of North American, not the dealership and if that's the case, I'd say there is a problem with their service. Then I read lemon laws prevent people from contacting corporate and need to deal with managers at the dealer level for a certain amount of time before the company gets involved. Another company I've recently read that were bad with customers is samsung. Samsung replaced a couple of people's products because they were faulty only to include a letter stating by getting the replaced product people could not sue or talk about it to media/Internet etc. at least one person didn't sign or agree to this and exposed the story.

I agree with people who say that the heads of porsche management are behind the times when it comes to the power of social media and maybe their business practices of yesteryear would be to screw people if porsche thought they could get away with it. This story has gotten big and porscje has probably lost some sales and worse for porsche, bad pr good customer service is a win win (besides being ethical) for both businesses and consumers. I'm willing to bet that porsche has lost a lot more than the cost of the 911 over this and to keep it from costing more, they are finally doing right. Hopefully this story will correct and change practices at porsche unless this was unusual for their practices. My biggest concern though is not the service but the ability to let a car like this go to the dealer in the first place. Porsche sells a lot less 911 then camrys, is a much higher quality car than the majority of cars and Porsches reliability is good. I know there is going to be a low number of lemons that go to customers with any car but in 2014, IMO cars like the 911 or corvette should have next to zero lemons with good quality control to inspect each car.

Things like frayed wires in his car, the crap interior panel fittings should have got noticed by someone. With a 20k profit on each 911, quality control should not be an issue. I doubt we will know why this car was so horrid but would love to know for the sake of curiosity. They could easily find out who was working on and who assembled this particular 911. Or find out if there was a freak occurrence with their machines or if there was/is a possible supplier problem with one or more of their parts. I'm glad he's getting his money/a new car but to me it seems porsche is only saving face right now instead of actually doing right by the consumer.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Again, poor guy.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually, I have a good friend of mine who recently purchased a 2008 911S. So far, it has proven to be very unreliable. It has failed to start twice. The starter has been replaced but the problem persists. Every time I see him, he has a new problem to report. He is becoming fed up with the car and knowing him, he will soon get rid of it. So, I completely understand the poor guy in the video.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

I own two 911's, have owned two previous, and all are and were extremely reliable. Further, my dealership, Champion (South FLA) is the very best I have ever worked with. I cannot count the number of times they have picked up my car for an NC oil change and returned it the same day (They are located 75 miles from my home). I think "problems" are far outside the average.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Pre 2009 911s have had worse than average reliability scores with problem areas listed as:

minor engine
engine cooling
fuel system
electrical
suspension
paint and trim
hardware
Thus, it may depend upon the year you choose.

Get notified of new replies

To porsche 9 a lemon