Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help me decide on next car

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM
socci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me decide on next car

So I am thinking about selling my C5Z, but I'd like some input from people who have experience with any of the cars I am interested in. This sounds vain, but the main reason I want to get rid of my Z is I see C5 corvettes everyday. That and I cant hold on to a car for very long without wanting something new.

Porsche 911 Turbo (996)- Would be a somewhat daily driver when I cant take my bike out.

GTS Viper- Garage queen for sure, always has been my favorite car since I was young. Used to have a poster of the Blue w/ white stripes on my wall. I know they arent well built and have heat in cabin problems, but I will probably only take it out on occasion.

NSX- Love the looks, but Im worried it will be too slow for me. I rarely speed, but my Z is somewhat built up and I love having the power underneath my foot. Cant afford to supercharge/turbo it, or that would easily be my choice.

Bmw M6- Gas mileage puts this last on my list.

Anyone have any experience with the feel/interior of theses cars? Any input is appreciated I keep going back and forth on this. Finding all of these in my area to test drive is a long shot. A C6Z is probably all around the best car, but its out of my price range, and Im sure I will feel the same way about it in a few years when everyone has a C6.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How is a C6Z out of your price range but a Viper GTS isn't? C6Z can be had for mid 30's,
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM
socci
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
How is a C6Z out of your price range but a Viper GTS isn't? C6Z can be had for mid 30's,
I can't find one, but I've seen a few vipers under 40
Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by socci
So I am thinking about selling my C5Z, but I'd like some input from people who have experience with any of the cars I am interested in. This sounds vain, but the main reason I want to get rid of my Z is I see C5 corvettes everyday. That and I cant hold on to a car for very long without wanting something new.

Porsche 911 Turbo (996)- Would be a somewhat daily driver when I cant take my bike out.

GTS Viper- Garage queen for sure, always has been my favorite car since I was young. Used to have a poster of the Blue w/ white stripes on my wall. I know they arent well built and have heat in cabin problems, but I will probably only take it out on occasion.

NSX- Love the looks, but Im worried it will be too slow for me. I rarely speed, but my Z is somewhat built up and I love having the power underneath my foot. Cant afford to supercharge/turbo it, or that would easily be my choice.

Bmw M6- Gas mileage puts this last on my list.

Anyone have any experience with the feel/interior of theses cars? Any input is appreciated I keep going back and forth on this. Finding all of these in my area to test drive is a long shot. A C6Z is probably all around the best car, but its out of my price range, and Im sure I will feel the same way about it in a few years when everyone has a C6.

Thanks
Viper: Never meet your hero, but find one for a long test drive to see if you could live with your favorite sports car.

NSX: Yes you would want some more power, have you researched prices?

M6: Very expensive, and suspension may be too soft for your likes.

996: Great all around, but you'll miss the low end torque of the Z06.

C5Z06: Awesome, paid off, and you like it, keep it???

Are you an E-5 in the USMC still? Are you investing and saving money, what are your future plans?

Last edited by LTC Z06; 04-08-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
socci
Racer

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
Viper: Never meet your hero, but find one for a long test drive to see if you could live with your favorite sports car.

NSX: Yes you would want some more power, have you researched prices?

M6: Very expensive, and suspension may be too soft for your likes.

996: Great all around, but you'll miss the low end torque of the Z06.

Are you an E-5 in the USMC still? Are you investing and saving money, what are your future plans?
The Nsx prices I see are anywhere from 28-50k. The ones I can afford are normally 94s which is hard to justify spending that kind of money on a 94 Honda, but from what I read everyone seems to love them. My Z is paid off (recently) which is why I have the itch to trade her in. I do love it, but I just see them everywhere. I also need to pay another 1000 dollars to the state of RI for registration after I paid NC 600 dollars a few years ago. I dont really want to spend 1000 bucks to keep driving a car I have been driving for 4 years. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking about getting a new car. Waste of 1000 dollars imo.

I have been out of the Marines for a few years. I am finishing up my junior year right now at the state university for Computer Engineering. Hopefully a year from now I have a decent job lined up.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you considered a Shelby GT500? You can easily find low mileage examples in the mid 30's. I know from experience they make crazy power with about $3000 in mods. I had a '12 and put a '13 blower on it with a few accompanying mods and it made 700 at the wheels.

I also always liked the NSX but I agree that spending that much money on anything 20 years old is tough to do.

Vipers...I've had two. I'll never have 3.

The only way I'd buy an M6 would be if it had plenty of warranty left. Is something goes wrong with one, you break the bank fixing it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Out of those options I would choose the Viper.

The M6 could be trouble, expecially if it's a SMG car. What about a E55? Do you only want a 2dr?

I had a NSX that was Twin Turbo for about 6 years. It was nice back in 1998 when I owned it, rare and exotic. For me the NSX is very dated, possibly because I had one for so long.

With the NSX parts were very expensive. If you think Corvette tax is bad just wait. Then again prices may have come down. I think a Comptech Clutch was son $3k. My engine blew and the warranty company paid out $32K, best $800 I've ever spent.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by socci
The Nsx prices I see are anywhere from 28-50k. The ones I can afford are normally 94s which is hard to justify spending that kind of money on a 94 Honda, but from what I read everyone seems to love them. My Z is paid off (recently) which is why I have the itch to trade her in. I do love it, but I just see them everywhere. I also need to pay another 1000 dollars to the state of RI for registration after I paid NC 600 dollars a few years ago. I dont really want to spend 1000 bucks to keep driving a car I have been driving for 4 years. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking about getting a new car. Waste of 1000 dollars imo.

I have been out of the Marines for a few years. I am finishing up my junior year right now at the state university for Computer Engineering. Hopefully a year from now I have a decent job lined up.
A grand is still cheaper than a new car, you should start saving what was your previous car note.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS Viper
You mean the Gen 2 viper gts (not the srt viper gts)?

I had a 2002 GTS which was the last year for that car. Think that model started in 1996 with the iconic blue/white. Prices vary a lot depending on year and mileage (low 30s to mid 50s). Also although outwardly a 1996 looks the same as 2002, the motor (earlier ones were forged) changed as did other interior features. My 02 A/C ran cold and cabin heat was not an issue. It was not a garage queen but did have limited use.

After that I got an 06 coupe srt10 and now an .srt viper and the srt is the only one that comes close to being a reasonable daily driver....for me it's an almost daily.

That was my last corvette and yes.....it was awesome.

finishing up my junior year right now at the state university for Computer Engineering
Excellent choice... my son got his grad degree in computer engineering and found work immediately.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 04-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
socci
Racer

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
A grand is still cheaper than a new car, you should start saving what was your previous car note.
It was 15k. I was paying 300 a month. I figure if I can sell my Z for around 18 and put that down, my monthly payments should be roughly the same as they have been which is fine by me. I just see it as I'm throwing away a grand to re-register her considering I have been driving it for the past 4 years. At least if I spend money on a new car I get something new and exciting. My goal is to pay off my next car, (depending on what I buy it shouldn't lose too much value) then trade that in and get another loan for around 15k, repeat, then buy a Lamborghini. This will keep my car payments around 300/month and get me in a Lambo before I'm 40.

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
You mean the Gen 2 viper gts (not the srt viper gts)?
Yes, I meant a gen 2 gts. If I had the money for a new GTS I would buy it in a heartbeat, it is my new favorite car. Although that new Z06 looks incredible also. Do you know if they addressed the heat issue with the 02 model, or is it just not as big of an issue that everyone makes it out to be?

Originally Posted by Crushinator
Have you considered a Shelby GT500?

Vipers...I've had two. I'll never have 3.
After the experience I have had with my Explorer and wife's Lincoln MKX I told myself I am done buying Ford. The GT500 is one nice car though, especially at that price. Could you elaborate more on your viper experience? Was it their build quality that turned you off from them?

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
What about a E55? Do you only want a 2dr?
I'm open to anything really, and my wife would probably be much happier if I went with a 4 door. The first thing she said to me when she saw my Vette was "It has no backseats, take it back" hahaha. My buddy tried to get me to look at some AMGs, but they all look the same to me. There isn't anything special about them imo. Very nice cars dont get me wrong, but I like the exotic look in a sports car. Probably another reason the M6 is last on my list. That rear bumper though. It would be nice to have the performance of the AMG or M with the luxury that comes with the Benz and Bmw though.

I narrowed it down to the 911 Turbo or the Viper. I know both are two completely different cars. I figure I can daily drive the 911 and spare me the expense of a daily driver which I would need with the viper, but at the same time the GTS has always been a "childhood dream" of mine. Whenever I see a viper drive by I have to look at it until its no longer in sight. Can't say the same for a Porsche. I just don't want to spend 35k on a Viper that is going to rattle and squeak like its a Dodge Avenger or something. I know sometimes their hoods do not even line up correctly with the headlights. Reasons like that are what hold me back from purchasing one. I appreciate the input on here. I still need some time to sell my Vette so feel free to keep posting your opinions.

Last edited by socci; 04-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Do you know if they addressed the heat issue with the 02 model
The 02 car went through the heat and humidity of the deep south and cabin/engine heat was not an issue.

You have to be very careful when buying a viper. There are only a few sources I would trust in the whole US. Carfax may not provide a true history if repairs etc are taken care of with cash. Investigate the history of the car....was it raced etc. A larger proportion than usual of viper owners are hobby racers. I am on my third viper and had only minor issues like window regulator, handbrake.

Remember it's a V10 with over 8 liters, regardless of Gen. Gas mileage will suck and tires are wide and expensive.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Although my first choice is corvette. Out of your list ...I'd go 911 turbo
Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM
ttboost1
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche 911 Turbo (996)- you can't afford to fix if it breaks-

GTS Viper- Ive owed 2- both were cool- they dont handle all that well though. you can afford to fix

NSX- it will feel slow

Bmw M6- overweight/not good on gas.

I regret selling my last 04 z16 c5z-

I would recommend a grand sport c6, a 09+ m3, or a c63 amg merc-

I have the merc now and its great. You cannot go wrong with any of those 3 though.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I say keep the C5Z and forge the bottom end, TT it, new seats and new rims/tires....it will put a huge on your mug. I don't know that you will be as happy as you think you will w any of the cars you have listed. Dollar for dollar...the C5Z is a great value
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 AM
ThumperNC24
Pro

I'd add E9x M3 to the list.

Better handling than the M6, almost as fast in a straight line (edit: looked up the numbers, trap speed is significantly lower on the M3 but still). It will be a lot less money maintenance wise too. I've heard some horror stories about that V10.

I test drove one for an out of town buddy and I was very impressed with the car. You should go drive one. He picked up an E90 6 speed with 33k miles for <$35k.

I was not underwhelmed by the power (I thought I might be, seeing as how I drove a 466whp Z06 to the dealer), the steering is superb and the brakes were excellent. Plus it's quiet, comfortable, and luxurious. Not to mention that V8 sounds pretty damn good north of 7k rpm. Check out the corsa exhaust on youtube.

All that said, I lust after the 996TT. I had a poster of the 996 GT2 on my wall as a 14 year old when it came out in 2002. I want one so badly, but the repair costs terrify me. Not to mention you are still looking at 45k+ for a nice, lower mileage example. The mileage on that car scares me a lot more than it does on a car like my Z06.

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 04-18-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide on next car

Quick Reply: Help me decide on next car