Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Any love for Grand Nationals around here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Any love for Grand Nationals around here?

When I was in high school, I told myself one day I'd have a GN for my toy, and a 4Runner for my daily driver.

I graduated in '91, it took till I was about 24, but I finally made it happen.

Before I sold it, it was a mid 11 sec car.

Big freakin' turbo, big wastegate and downpipe, chip, injectors, fuel pump, and a WHOLE lotta boost!

It was a fun car, but dang was it finicky. Very sensitive to weather changes. And sometimes, it would just be in a bad mood!

Anybody have any GN stories?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah sure.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by El_Phantasmo
And sometimes, it would just be in a bad mood!
Sooooo True.

Had two '87s, first one was totaled when the ROTC teacher made a left turn basically right into me at 45 MPH. That was the summer after graduating in '95. The second I took from rural FL out to Dallas.

Here's a few good GN stories...seems to mostly involve law enforcement.

GN #1:

Rural FL has 2 lanes that stretch miles and miles and are dead flat. Often there is NOTHING out there. It's also common to have intersecting roads which are equally empty, flat and could be dead straight for miles and miles.

One Spring Sunday afternoon, I'm headed home from work and decide to open her up. The Alpine changer is loaded with Sublime, the ADS amp is pushing the JL Subs nicely and the Boston separates and 6x9s are a welcome change over the old paper crap from Delco.
The Speedo was pegged at 85...

So - I make my 12 mile run down this road and am now stopped, waiting to turn into my neighborhood, turn signal on, waiting as there is some oncoming traffic.

I look in the rear view to see one of the local County Sheriffs coming - full steam. The Crown Vic's hood looks ready for lift off it's so high in the air. He's still about 1 mile out, probably running 110+. I leisurely make my turn into the neighborhood. He makes the turn behind me so hot, he nearly loses the cruiser into the ditch.

I stop - T-Tops are off and the windows are down anyway.

Deputy: Storms up to the window...HOW FAST WERE YOU GOING!!!
Me: 55
Deputy: WE BOTH KNOW YOU WEREN'T GOING 55
Me: 55
Deputy: WE BOTH KNOW YOU WERE GOING WELL OVER 55
Me: I don't believe we BOTH know if I was or was not going 55.

LEO surprisingly drops it and promises to catch me sooner or later. I can only assume he'd been down a side road and saw a black flash go by and had been chasing ever since.

GN #2

I had some good times taking it to Ennis and ran a couple of 5.0 guys down Mockingbird one cool, well behaved night.

Later I recall my 2 year old son, yelling "faster Daddy" from the back seat while headed down Hillcrest in North Dallas. A little turbo spool later and I'm talking to an actually understanding Dallas cop who let us off with a warning.

Lastly, on a road trip back to FL, after making the turn East on I-10 in MS, a Statey decides to tail me for about 8 miles. The V1 had already been turned off. It's raining and I'm in Cruise at 55. Finally, here come the blinky lights. I roll down the window and Mr. MS State Police literally wants to discuss all the minute details of the car. It turns out he's a Turbo Buick guy...never a dull moment.

GN #2 ended up being sold to buy the first house...had the internet been available then, I'm sure I would have done a lot more with it. There is something oddly fun about keeping them mostly stock and just opening up the obvious restrictions John Heinricy left in from the factory...

Sorry for the lengthy post. Brings back good times.

Last edited by Closer_2001; 03-30-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Yes! Great stories thanks.

I have one LEO related story.

Right after getting the car back together with the new turbo and downpipe and stuff, we took it out to test it. No registration, no inspection sticker, probably about midnight. I let my friend take it for a pass because I had been drinking. We blew through an intersection at the top of third and a cop happened to be sitting there.

Obviously he pulled us over. He said, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Friend said, "No, the speedo only goes to 85 and we were at the top of third, 120 maybe?"

"Let me have your licenses."

A few minutes go by and he comes back. "Get out of here" he said.

LUCKY!

We shoulda gone down, LOL. Weird too, because he was training a rookie. Seems like he would have come down hard on us to show the kid how it's done.

I'm forever grateful for that guy's compassion that night!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Wow, this is weird. I just noticed that you're in League City. I'm in Clear Lake, and this story took place in Kemah.

Small world!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow, this is weird. I just noticed that you're in League City. I'm in Clear Lake, and this story took place in Kemah.

Small world!
And I'm reading it in Webster Texas
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 AM
Romulus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a really sweet 86 T type (35k miles, ran mid 11s on race gas) for about 2 years after i got out of college. I needed money and was young and thought I needed something different so I sold it for a bike. I've thought several times about buying another one, but I think those days are gone for me now.. Too many other cars that are more reliable, faster, cheaper to own, and newer exist.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

When I was in high school, I told myself one day I'd have a GN for my toy, and a 4Runner for my daily driver.

I graduated in '91, it took till I was about 24, but I finally made it happen.

Before I sold it, it was a mid 11 sec car.

Big freakin' turbo, big wastegate and downpipe, chip, injectors, fuel pump, and a WHOLE lotta boost!

It was a fun car, but dang was it finicky. Very sensitive to weather changes. And sometimes, it would just be in a bad mood!

Anybody have any GN stories?
I graduated 3 years after you, actually had an 85 corvette when I was a senior, and have lusted when I would see a GN for years ... Why?...
. When I was 16 I got a job putting up produce at the grocery store, never went to a party etc... Just worked to save for a car.
The summer I was to become a senior, I found a white 85 coupe with 22k miles, for 15k, I had saved 8k, my parents surprised me on my 17'th b-day in June by matching what I had saved, so I had my vette .

I became your typical punk street racer, now my money, went into, mods lingenfelter large tube runners, ported plenem, I actually cut the air filter lid open with a saw(later I saw the aftermarket having one identical to my handsaw work) K&N, a chip that I can't remember the name(not hypertech), cut maf screens myself, and drove around on M&H racemasters.

I went 13.5@105 beating everybody in school , I even whipped a kid whose parents bought him a turbo TA.
I really wasn't aware of TB's until one night I came up against one... It was an older guy(my fathers age at the time) , he took me by am easy 5 cars, I was puzzled .
A couple of months later while working, an older guy in a wheelchair came up to me, and we started talking cars, he said he worked for buick and had a Grand National, long story short it was the same guy who put a beating on me, he a bigger turbo, injectors, a custom chip burned for just for him.(back then it was still pretty much cookie cutter chips)

The car had hand controls because his legs were paralyzed , after meeting this man, and him showing me his car, that it was a six cylinder, I was hooked, the car looked bad Azz, a month later I spent my months paycheck on an NOS system and installed it, just in fear of the TB's out there.

The GN looks every bit as bad azz to me now then it did when I was a kid.
I finally became an owner last year, it was already built in every area you can build that car, still has A/C with with over 600 rwhp, the car runs like a missile at the track, and Is still very street friendly, none of them like the heat, but getting the right person to tune it greatly helps the cars temperament .
I don't know what took me so long to finally buy a GN, but I got that old high school itch that I had to scratch, next thing I know my new boss was being sold.
I still think of the guy who introduced me to TB's(the hard way, then very nice) when I was a kid.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-31-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Small world!
Awesome - car guys congregate in TX
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Bought mine new in May 1987 and still have it. Sits next to my 69 435 in the gargae.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought an '87 GN in 1991. It was stock and I put on a CA K&N, adjustable fuel regulator, GNX exhaust and larger inner cooler. Made it run and sound better but still basically stock. Fun car and they still look bad *** ... if I had the funds I'd luv to have another one just to play with. Don't see many around the D/FW area much anymore tho ..
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Eric(Roc87) has a bad *** one...

Last edited by Chicago1; 04-02-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chicago1

Owned my '87 GN since 5/00, ran a best of 11.55@118 at the Albuquerque track that's 5800'. Punished the stock engine with nearly 30# & an obscene amount of meth until it had 157k. Refreshed the engine, added a roller cam & ported/polished heads. Hope to do a 10 @ the same track.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

don't forget a DA of 7-8k average..I feel bad then remember the guys in Denver
Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chicago1
don't forget a DA of 7-8k average..I feel bad then remember the guys in Denver
& by the time I actually get to the track this year, that's where it'll be

I may tow it to Phx and run it @ crazy horse later in the fall
Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Great stories guys, and great pics Chicago1!

Roc87, she looks sweet!

*jealous*
Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Originally Posted by Roc87
Punished the stock engine with nearly 30# & an obscene amount of meth until it had 157k.
I put 22 lbs. to mine, and she held up to my abuse.

I sold it, not really sure what happened to it after that.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

This is my 86 gn, makes 590 rwhp on pump gas. Lots of fun. I have since changed the wheels to fac orig replica's.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 PM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic
This is my 86 gn, makes 590 rwhp on pump gas. Lots of fun. I have since changed the wheels to fac orig replica's.

[IMG][/IMG]
Very nice. Mine had Welds on it, the ones with the small round holes. Draglites or something? I don't remember exactly.

Get notified of new replies

To Any love for Grand Nationals around here?

Quick Reply: Any love for Grand Nationals around here?