Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

700 HP Mustang for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 700 HP Mustang for 2015?

Wonder if/how Tadge will respond?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...-from-whipple/

L-88? L-2016?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegaan
Wonder if/how Tadge will respond?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...-from-whipple/

L-88? L-2016?
That looks like aftermarket, not factory.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Why would he? That is an aftermarket kit not factory.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mustang could get 1000hp from the factory and I'd still prefer a C7. Especially the Z06.

625hp is more than enough power to accomplish anything I'd dare attempt on the street or the track. Hell technically the 460hp from the Stingray is even enough. At some point ridiculous hp numbers on a street car become just that.. ridiculous. Especially when we are talking about RWD vehicles with street legal tires.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Mr.Chevy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not about how much HP you have, it is all about how to put it down properly these days.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Mustang could get 1000hp from the factory and I'd still prefer a C7. Especially the Z06.

625hp is more than enough power to accomplish anything I'd dare attempt on the street or the track. Hell technically the 460hp from the Stingray is even enough. At some point ridiculous hp numbers on a street car become just that.. ridiculous. Especially when we are talking about RWD vehicles with street legal tires.
Go on YouTube and watch all the knuckleheads pile up their Corvette's. During my professional drag racing career I saw many come and go and there were just a handful that understood how to handle allot of horsepower. Wonder why GM is offering a $1500 discount to all C7 Stingray owners to attend a driving school during the first 12-months of ownership? Daekwan06, your absolutely correct in some of the horsepower some of these guys are trying to attain. I've dealt with gobs of horsepower under perfect track conditions and trying to run 900-1200 horsepower on the STREET, under less than perfect conditions is ridiculous. In fact, in the hands of the wrong person, it's downright dangerous.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I read this to suggest a possible company 'upgrade. Maybe they'll use the Calloway *warrantied' approach?

<This has likely been made possible because the upgrade is designed for the 2015 Mustang GT>

Almost nobody needs 700 HP (excepting racers). It's mostly bragging rights, isn't it? ...Although it also adds to 'sales' pitches. Viper advertises 640 HP? GM will try for 641? ...then there's the 660+ HP Mustang?

I guess it's all about "potential". I may never need it, but if a situation comes up, then its nice to know I'll have it? ...and it's fun to occasionally goose it...a little...boys and toys!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Too much HP? Oh, come now boys, don't be frightened. If it scares you, you could always just buy a Volt.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Rumors are that the Challenger will have a 640 HP Hemi option.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
Too much HP? Oh, come now boys, don't be frightened. If it scares you, you could always just buy a Volt.

LOL!!!! Your killing me.....
Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

Other than the 1% who can actually use all the power, I believe we have reach diminishing marginal return for street driving in the horsepower department. Actually, we probably reached that point back during C5 gen...
Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 PM
mike69440
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling and Drivetrain

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

Other than the 1% who can actually use all the power, I believe we have reach diminishing marginal return for street driving in the horsepower department. Actually, we probably reached that point back during C5 gen...
OK I'm an SVT guy, former GT owner, current Cobra owner, so I know that cooling and drivetrain will be an issue in that pony for anything more than street tire cruising use.

Yup, 450 HP is faster/safer than 600 for me and most others drivers, as 450HP is easier to exploit. The powers fun, but scary on the street.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Why should Tadge respond?? Did he suddenly turn into the Chief Engineer of the Camaro??

The Mustang could have 1200 HP and it wouldn't be in the same league as a Corvette. Don't get me wrong, I would love to test drive or maybe spend a day driving a 700 HP Mustang, but that's about it.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

Yes, very interesting all the HP increases over the past years. In 1970 when I bought my Chevelle Super Sport 396 and my dad had a 454 ci in his station wagon, I wondered about the huge engines and HP and when the rise would stop. Well the EPA put a tight rope around the exhaust for emissions purposes and that was the end in 1970.

So, I am wondering what will stop the rise this time? Perhaps fuel costs and a movement to electric. So, when do we see an electric Corvette?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If Tadge had to respond every time someone released an aftermarket blower for a competitor's car, then he wouldn't have time to build the Z06...

Worth noting:

1) The camaro and C7 BOTH already have NUMEROUS aftermarket blower kits already available.... Most eclipse the power generated by this little 2.9L blower for the mustang..

2) The OEM Z06 will annihilate a mustang with this supercharger on it.........
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Why should Tadge respond?? Did he suddenly turn into the Chief Engineer of the Camaro??
+++++1

The Vette is not a Ponycar...
Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegaan
I read this to suggest a possible company 'upgrade. Maybe they'll use the Calloway *warrantied' approach?

<This has likely been made possible because the upgrade is designed for the 2015 Mustang GT>

Almost nobody needs 700 HP (excepting racers). It's mostly bragging rights, isn't it? ...Although it also adds to 'sales' pitches. Viper advertises 640 HP? GM will try for 641? ...then there's the 660+ HP Mustang?

I guess it's all about "potential". I may never need it, but if a situation comes up, then its nice to know I'll have it? ...and it's fun to occasionally goose it...a little...boys and toys!
Correct, they offer this at the dealership, if I remember correctly they offered a couple of different power levels as well.

As far a tadge having to respond...... Just another case of a topic made up from the lack of information on the C7Z06, everybody is just bored.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-29-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 700 HP Mustang for 2015?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Correct, they offer this at the dealership, if I remember correctly they offered a couple of different power levels as well.

As far a tadge having to respond...... Just another case of a topic made up from the lack of information on the C7Z06, everybody is just bored.
Yep! Maybe bored and going crazy in anticipation. Gotta tell ya folks, I'm kind of a a product of the 60's, back when Chevy, Ford and Mopar were going at it strong with factory backed racing teams on the drag strips, road courses and anywhere else they could compete against each other. The muscle car era was incredible as a teenager. Awe, the good old days. And I appreciated various qualities in all of them. And when I began actually racing, starting out as a novice I still saw and recognized the various approaches and design features in making horsepower in all three major manufacturers.

However, because there was always five or ten Chevy's to every one Ford or Mopar and the Camaro had become dominant by virtue of mere numbers, I elected to go with Ford, if for no other reason than for the mere challenge of it. You see, I had this silly *** notion it didn't matter what emblem was on the valve covers. It didn't matter if it was a Bow- tie, Blue Oval or Rams Head, yet I noticed there were close minded diehards that automatically assumed one was better than the other, just because..... Guess I was an "Independent" even back then. I ended up very successful running the Ford and dominating the ranks for years, being one of only three or four fans always knew would win the race. Okay... The other two or three were Chevy's, but that was because there were so many of them... LOL There was allot of media exposure and magazine articles written that benefited both Ford Motor Company and myself then.

I've owned and driven Ford's and Chevy's my entire life, even a '77 L82 Corvette, and about a year ago I saw an artists rendering of the all new and redesigned 2015 Mustang, which I immediately fell in love with. Once they actually unveiled it, it didn't quite appear like the artists anticipated rendering. Then Ford had to go and do what Ford does so well and offer an Eco-boost four cylinder, which immediately resonated taking a better idea and screwing it up as they so often do.

Then I saw my first C7 Stingray on the road. It was Cyber-Gray and it was love at first sight. Something went off in my brain - "You Gotta Have One Of Those." I immediately came home and got on the internet trying to find out as much as I could about the all new Corvette. In doing so, I discovered the all new Z06 coming out in 2015. Again, something went off in the ole brain that said- "You gotta get one of those." Then reality set it when I began reading threads about the cost being upwards of $100K or more..... Gee, do I really want to make that kind of a commitment?

Then I thought, maybe I'll settle and check out the Camaro or Mustang again. There was just something about them that said I wouldn't be as happy with one of them as a new Z06....... Aside from all the hype over the horsepower numbers, which is ONLY ONE OF A NUMBER OF ELEMENTS INVOLVED, nothing quite measured up to what the new Z06 has to offer. It's the whole package, not just the horsepower. It's about ALL OF THE ABOVE........ So, however many more years I have on this earth, it's time to say the hell with it and GO FOR IT! So, hopefully more sooner than later, I'm going to be taking delivery of my own 2015 Z06 Corvette with the help of Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland. IT AIN'T ENTIRELY ABOUT THE HORSEPOWER IT PUTS OUT, BUT RATHER THE OVERALL BALANCE AND QUALITY OF MATERIALS THAT GOES INTO IT AND THE CRAFTSMANSHIP AND FINISH OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT. This old man ain't gonna compromise for nobody.......
Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Tadge and the boys are too busy on the Z and ZR, to be worried what anyone else is doing.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Tadge and the boys are too busy on the Z and ZR, to be worried what anyone else is doing.
And besides, if you read between the lines, both GM AND Ford appear to be focused more on the exotics over in Europe, Porsche, Ferrari etc. and from what I understand, this new 8-speed automatic that's coming out in 2015 is the result of the joint efforts or corroboration of both GM and Ford. So yes, at least a couple of the major three are joining efforts to compete in the European market.

Quick Reply: 700 HP Mustang for 2015?