Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Yikes! 65.2 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Yikes! 65.2 MPG

My wife took our 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel to Memphis over the weekend and with side trips drove 325 miles. When she got back last night, I asked her what kind of fuel mileage she got and she said it wasn't very good. She really doesn't know what's good and what's bad and doesn't care about fuel mileage. She's going to Nashville today and so I filled it up for her last night. When I looked at the average 25 mile best, I couldn't believe my eyes: 65.2. I think I'll just let her drive from now on.

If you didn't know, the Cruze has a fuel mileage calculator that gives your average MPG for the last 25, 50 and 500 miles. Currently, the best for the 50 mile range is 57.5 and 47.8 for the 500 mile increment. For what it's worth, when I calculate MPG manually, I have always gotten better MPG than the on-board calculator shows. Diesel engines get considerably less MPG in cold temperatures. The CruzeTalk forum guys use the 25 mile range as their comparative measure of goodness or badness...lol.

If you're looking for a daily driver and you can use a compact car, you could hardly do better than the Chevy Cruze...solid, great handling, good looking fuel saving car.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
My wife took our 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel to Memphis over the weekend and with side trips drove 325 miles. When she got back last night, I asked her what kind of fuel mileage she got and she said it wasn't very good. She really doesn't know what's good and what's bad and doesn't care about fuel mileage. She's going to Nashville today and so I filled it up for her last night. When I looked at the average 25 mile best, I couldn't believe my eyes: 65.2. I think I'll just let her drive from now on.

If you didn't know, the Cruze has a fuel mileage calculator that gives your average MPG for the last 25, 50 and 500 miles. Currently, the best for the 50 mile range is 57.5 and 47.8 for the 500 mile increment. For what it's worth, when I calculate MPG manually, I have always gotten better MPG than the on-board calculator shows. Diesel engines get considerably less MPG in cold temperatures. The CruzeTalk forum guys use the 25 mile range as their comparative measure of goodness or badness...lol.

If you're looking for a daily driver and you can use a compact car, you could hardly do better than the Chevy Cruze...solid, great handling, good looking fuel saving car.
My former roommate had a Cruze and hated it. I personally saw nothing wrong with it for what he paid for it, but he quickly traded it and had nothing but bad to say about the car's handling, the A/C was terrible, and the power wasn't there (well. yeah....go figure). I just think he wanted something flashier, but his A/C complaints seemed legit.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. I have a 2012 cruze eco 6 spd. It avgs 40.9 mpg in the 500 mile range and 25 mile range 50.0 mpg. I like it but the heat is sort of a on off switch no fine tuning. The AC is blah or too cold. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Yikes! 65.2 MPG

Quick Reply: Yikes! 65.2 MPG