Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Trailer Buyers Beware.....United Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trailer Buyers Beware.....United Trailers

Ok, this may sound long winded but I am really upset about what had happened recently. Last year I purchased a 2013 United Trailers 20' enclosed trailer to trailer my Vette. I got a great deal on it and was very happy until recently. The series of snow storms here in the North East have dumped a decent amount of snow in my area. I have the trailer stored outdoors exposed to the elements thinking what could happen to it sitting in a driveway. Well I have been cleaning off the roof as much as I can but was away for the one big storm we got. When I came back to clean off the snow I was in shock. The roof buckled from the snow and damaged the roof ruining the integrity of it. The majority of the support beams twisted like pretzels and water began to leak inside onto the wood floors. I spoke with the dealer I purchased it from and they told me that the manufacturer does not cover that type of damage. I find this hard to believe that a brand new trailer would not stand up to 1 foot of snow. I just want to let everyone know that if they are in the market for an enclosed trailer of any kind, STAY AWAY FROM UNITED TRAILERS. Thank God my Vette was not in the trailer!!!! Here are some pics.......sorry for the rant.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:22 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

That sucks! Looks like those beams were just designed to hold the pressure from the wind?

Warranty?

My 16' enclosed Utility trailer has square metal tubes as support and held the weight of 10" of snow just fine.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
That sucks! Looks like those beams were just designed to hold the pressure from the wind?

Warranty?

My 16' enclosed Utility trailer has square metal tubes as support and held the weight of 10" of snow just fine.
Not covered under warranty. The roofs of these trailers are very weak. I guess that's how they save money.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff, are the roof beams one piece that wraps around from wall to wall or can you remove just the ceiling part of it? Did you call the manufacturer??
Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic
Cliff, are the roof beams one piece that wraps around from wall to wall or can you remove just the ceiling part of it? Did you call the manufacturer??
Roof beams are removable and are getting replaced by the manufacturer. I was told by the dealer not to call the manufacturer. So I am posting on all of the forums I'm on to spread the word. Even posted pics on United Trailers Facebook page.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cliff99C5hardtop
Roof beams are removable and are getting replaced by the manufacturer. I was told by the dealer not to call the manufacturer. So I am posting on all of the forums I'm on to spread the word. Even posted pics on United Trailers Facebook page.
OK, let me make sure I understand you. The dealership obv did not give a **** and did not try to help you. BUT the manufacturer is sending you the replaceable beams under warranty or are you buying them?? And why did they tell you not to call manufacturer??
Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic
OK, let me make sure I understand you. The dealership obv did not give a **** and did not try to help you. BUT the manufacturer is sending you the replaceable beams under warranty or are you buying them?? And why did they tell you not to call manufacturer??
Basically the dealer said this is all we can do, what happened is not covered under warranty. The manufacturer is doing the repairs which is going to take a few months to do. The dealer said the manufacturer is not too friendly when customers call.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

Basically the dealer said this is all we can do, what happened is not covered under warranty. The manufacturer is doing the repairs which is going to take a few months to do. The dealer said the manufacturer is not too friendly when customers call.
k, I understand. What did they say about the weight of the snow>?? My friends haulmark trailer has been outside since 2000 and it is fine. If anything he neglects it.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I was told by the dealer not to call the manufacturer.
THAT would have had me on the phone to the manufacturer within the hour!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Heatman
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know. just started looking at enclosed trailers

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Buyers Beware.....United Trailers