Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Car to AVOID

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car to AVOID

JUST WANT TO WARN PEOPLE OUT THERE

I bought a 1968 pontiac firebird, FROM A CLASSIC CAR DEALER in DENVER CO , worldwide vintage ,( they post all their vehicles on Ebay too)
described as "Flawless" exterior, "Stunning" interior, Fully restored and mechanically restored, for 24k + 1k shipping, after many conversations with Salesperson , I was assured the body was clean & Bondo free and the car was as advertised,
here is the long list of defects:\

Broken A/C unit
Clearly been in front & rear end crashes
BONDO filled Quarter Panels,
Bulging Bondo filled taillight section,
mirror dangling off
Bumper misaligned
crumpled rear valance
chrome trim falling off & painted silver over
worn paint with chips & dings
door panels coming off
Radio broken
Dash Pad is falling off
Rear interior Panel is ripped & bent
horn broken
shifter broken
ignnition tumbler worn out
alternator broken
battery shorted out
Carb Choke broken
missing bolts on fenders and bodywork
worn out seat pads
the list goes on & on

this car has been cobbled together and should be valued at 10k or so,
after much pleading they agreed to buy the car back at a big discount, I’m out $5500.00 !.
I could not honestly sell this car to someone else without disclosing all these problems'

AND THEY ARE STILL TRYING TO SELL THE CAR NOW, with no mention of all these problems, so someone else is going to get burned,

these guys are bad news, I really feel bad for the next person who has to go through this, so spread the word
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

How many photos did they send you, before you decided to purchase the car? Before I sold my 68 C3, I must've taken a dozen photos, including those of any non-perfect areas.
The fact that classic car dealer didn't divulge all or most of those issues should've been grounds for a successful lawsuit on your behalf.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Next time ask someone on here to put some eyes on a car. We are always willing to go kick some tires for our fellow Corvette Forum brothers.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
How many photos did they send you, before you decided to purchase the car? Before I sold my 68 C3, I must've taken a dozen photos, including those of any non-perfect areas.
The fact that classic car dealer didn't divulge all or most of those issues should've been grounds for a successful lawsuit on your behalf.
Hell, I sent the dealer around a dozen photos of my 2 year-old 370Z before we did business on trade-in.

ALWAYS have someone competent (they have companies that do this, I believe), or yourself inspect before buying.

Plane-ticket to anywhere in the world < $5500.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You were probably lucky to get any money back. Lesson learned, never buy a car on eBay without either physically touching it or having someone you totally trust check it for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Car to AVOID

Quick Reply: Car to AVOID