Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Russ, what did you use for engine mounts?

It will also be interesting to see how those seats mount as the rear footwell extends pretty far forward.

What brand headers?

Thx!
I'll be building my own engine (and trans) mounts. I refuse to pay a hundred+ bucks for something so simple to make as the common engine mount style that everyone sells. I'll use std SBC rubber mounts that can be bought for less than $5.00 each

The picture I have in my head of the bucket seat rear mount is a "bridge" which starts from the side of the trans tunnel, under the two rear seat mounting points, and down to just inside the sill plate.

The headers I'm using are from RTI and are amazing quality. stainless steel, heavy flanges, and the welds are all perfect etc. also a very good price at 200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-S10-Stainless-Chevrolet-Engine-Swap-Headers-1982-04/161224393809?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222008%26algo%3DSIC.MOTORS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D5134147808257813391%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D0%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D131103021962
Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

We've been dealing with some other issues lately, so not a lot of time left for play, but I did get a 1/2 day in on the car today and was able to get the trans mount fabricated. this new crossmember mounts in the stock frame hangers (because I'm lazy).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

A quick update. I got the engine mount adaptors fabricated from 1/4" steel today and painted.

I also ended up modifying the original 6 cyl engine mount stands, which will be fully welded to the crossmember the next time the engine is removed.

Gota run.

Russ
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Coming along nicely Russ. I can't imagine doing all that with the front clip still on. Well done. What do you think the weight difference will be when you're finished? I guess you'll be cutting the springs anyway for final height, or are you going to use the bag suspension?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Coming along nicely Russ. I can't imagine doing all that with the front clip still on. Well done. What do you think the weight difference will be when you're finished? I guess you'll be cutting the springs anyway for final height, or are you going to use the bag suspension?
Yup. it was well worth the effort to pull the front clip off first. It makes the finished product so much nicer as well.
I haven't checked weights, but I wouldn't be surprised if the LS is actually way lighter than the old Blue Flame 6 and cast iron 3 speed.
The air ride will most definitely stay. this is the first car I've owned with bags and I like the system a lot.

Monday: another bracket fabrication day. today it was a bracket to mount the new power steering pump. more of the 1/4" steel plate, and painted with silver Duplicolor wheel paint. I love that stuff.

I like to keep everything down as low as possible, so was really happy to discover that the stock Camaro low mount alternator worked out on this car, and allowed me to mount the power steering pump fairly low on the head as well

I'm still waiting for the Vintage Air setup, and can't finalize the belt routing until the AC pump gets mounted, but it should work out pretty much like the stock Camaro otherwise. I really wanted to mount the ac pump down low on the passenger side, and still believe it could have been mounted there with only a small notch in the crossmember, but the owner of Vintage air owns a 59 El Camino and insisted it had to go high. I hadn't test fit the engine when I ordered the kit, so I accepted his advise. oh well… I recon' it will be fine up higher regardless.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Awwww soooo. a verwe good day in bracket-wand. todays assignment, and I did choose to accept it, was to build the clutch bracketry to hold the Camaro hyd clutch cylinder, and attach it to the 59s stock pedal assay.

Some quick measurements determined that the master cyl could be mounted in such a way on the 59 as to easily duplicate the Camaro configuration. the original 59 clutch actuation rod came through the firewall in almost the perfect position to match up the angles needed for the Camaro master cylinder. so by just enlarging the existing hole a bit, and stretching it height-wise, the mounted MC could be aimed right where it needed to go.
A bracket was fabricated from 1/8" steel to give the MC the correct mounting angle:

And the bracket was welded on to the firewall

under the dash, a piece of 3/4" square tubing was plug welded from the firewall side to stiffen up the left side where the MC mounted. the right side is pretty stiff already due to a steering column brace that's angled across that area.
The hyd MC only needs a 1 1/4" stroke, so the existing actuation point was a bit too low on the pedal. however, as it happened, there's an "up stop" bracket with two locating pins and one bolt on the 59 pedal, and the bolt is very close to being in the perfect position. so by just using a longer bolt, that location was drafted into service to connect the MC rod. I just love it when a plan comes together

There won't be any updates for the next few days. my wife is going into the hospital tomorrow for some major surgery. think positive thoughts for her if you would please. We'll be back soon.

Russ
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM
TDW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progress looks great!

Good vibes/prayers offered for you and your better half.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Hope all goes well for your wife, Russ.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Chevy is my favorite 1959 GM car for styling. Closest production car to a Batmobile ever IMO!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Prayers heading your way!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by sub006
Closest production car to a Batmobile ever IMO!
I'm pretty sure this is the wheel I'll get for the car. it seems to match the theme well to me also.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-772715

I also want to thank those who sent the good vibes Jennifers way. She was in surgery for over 6 hours yesterday, yet it appears she may be released to come home late today or early tomorrow. everything went extremely well, and it looks like they got all the bad stuff taken care of. such a huge sigh of relief from us all.
A word to the wise, guys, bug your wives to get a mammogram every year. early detection absolutely saved Jennifers life, but I've known others who weren't so lucky. 1 in 8 will go through this, and you don't want the bad outcome that can happen from neglecting to keep your eyes open for an onset. do it now.

moving on:

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 03-06-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Glad to hear all is good with Jennifer.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
TDW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel looks good.

Very glad to hear things went according to plan with the wife.

Take a little time "off" and get er' healed up!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

I get time off for good behavior from my nursing duties once in a wile, so I've progressed on a couple little jobs on the 59 recently. the Vintage Air kit came in, and I've started pre-assembling that system. these come with a plastic plug for where the 4 hoses enter and exit the bodywork (where the original blower motor once mounted), but I prefer to weld a filler panel into the firewall so it can be smoothed and painted. as with any thin sheet metal, tack and cool, tack and cool is the order of business here, to avoid warping the metal. this is about half done with the tack welds. just a matter of eventually connecting all the dots.

The large hole, where the oem heater was, is being filled in a similar fashion. they supply a plate to bolt on over the hole, but I just use their panel to make a filler that can be butt welded in like I do the pass-through. I still need to make a couple fillers for the smaller holes nearby, but it's getting there also.

I got the compressor bracket and pump mounted, and fully set up the drive, so I could measure for a new serpentine belt. it came out to need about 5.4 feet of belt.

Little by little, we're still moving forward.

Oh BTW. I sold the original 6 cyl engine and trans today, so that made me happy. $300.00 and a cord of Madrone firewood (worth $200.00). now I can buy more parts and also be warm enough to install them.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 03-09-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

How many ricks of Madrone does $200 get these days? Sounds so nice it would be cheaper to bust up firewood.

How did you sell your engine? CL?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zoomin
How many ricks of Madrone does $200 get these days? Sounds so nice it would be cheaper to bust up firewood.

How did you sell your engine? CL?
In our case, we got 3 ricks for $200.00 as we get our firewood cut to 16" length. you didn't think I would know that did you.

Yup, I sold the engine/trans via CL. I put the add in last week and the only call was yesterday. he frantically asked if I still had it for sale, and was relieved to hear I still had it. he has a 57 Chevy 6 that was overheated and apparently cracked the block. it worked out great for the both of us actually. my engine/trans might have been worth more than $500.00 but the market is so limited that I was still happy to get that for it.

Last edited by MrPbody; 03-10-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Russ,
I've been away from this thread for a while, just read about Jennifer's surgery, so glad that all went well.
Also looks like you're making good progress on the car, fun to watch as usual, what is the target date to have it on the road?

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Hey Russ,
I've been away from this thread for a while, just read about Jennifer's surgery, so glad that all went well.
Also looks like you're making good progress on the car, fun to watch as usual, what is the target date to have it on the road?

Paul
Thanks Paul.

My target date to have the car on the road is: …... the day it's finished.
Dang I love retirement

Russ
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Thanks Paul.

My target date to have the car on the road is: …... the day it's finished.
Dang I love retirement

Russ
You can fool some of the people some of the time Mr. "I go slow I'm retired", but we know better, I'm thinking end of Mayish?

Paul
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

ya…. well…… maybe "on the road" by Mayish, but not finished.
I've turned over a new leaf since retirement….. no really I have.