Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking at a new sports car-Let us discuss

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
Sheesh. I'm in the same boat. I've been considering Gtr, Bentley cgt, gallardo and Maserati GranTourismo.

Right now... The Gtr is winning. Handful of bolt on mods and that car is a rocket ship. Substantially quicker then any other comparo. And you can daily drive it.
9k for a full exhaust and IMO boring when I went out in my friends 2014. It is FAST but did not excite me like most of the other cars listed.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Maserati GT yeah forgot about them.
We mentioned some real keepers in this post wish they were in my shopping cart.
Make sure you get it under warranty. I've seen one in a shop. Just a year past it warranty and needed a complete cooling system rebuild - big $$$.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Wouldn't that be nice at $100 plus per hour.
A guy used to drop his daughter off at the school my daughter used to go to in a brand new Quattro Porto. I hadn't seen the guy for years after the kids went to different high schools. I was grocery shopping a few weeks back and I ran into him in the parking lot, same car still has it. The first thing I asked him was how's the Maserati going have you had any problems ( the car is now 7 years old) he tells me besides a clutch change every now and again the car has been bulletproof and he still daily drives it. He told me that's the only reason he kept it was because of its reliability ? Maybe he got a good one ?
I have been frequenting on the Maserati Forum a fair bit and I was shocked how nice all the guys were on there. I was thinking they would be a bit snooty but there just a bunch a real die hard car guys. Almost makes you want to go and buy one. Now where is that spare 150k I ve got stashed :-(
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

While the Maserati is definitely a nice car, and an awesome exotic daily driver it doesnt even come close performance wise to what im looking for. I mean a GT S has 430 HP but it has a lot of weight as well. Dont get me wrong the luxury and build quality are probably nice but 0-60 in 4.9, not in the same league.
I have my SRT Jeep for the DD which might as well be a luxury car so i dont need a ton of luxury, just enough to make a roadtrip comfortable. I really do want a sports car that i can GT, not a GT car so thats why im not looking at Astons, Jags, Maserati, Mercs, ect. There are a ton of nice cars in that segment but performace wise they cant hold a candle to the R8, 911, GT-R, or TT-RS

That being said i had thought about AM and Jag but forgot about Maserati so i am really digging this discussion and it's helping.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I always felt tired after the driving my tt porsche . On the highway it was fun and engaging but as a daily it was not fun. Oh , and before you get hooked on the seductive quality of a certain italian temptress , wander over to those forums and wade through the failures and costs associated with them.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogivette
I know a lot of people dont like these threads and sometimes they become brand bashing or end with comments like "drive them and choose the one you like best" but i still post in hopes of a healthy discussion. I have not driven any of them yet but plan to do so, they are realatively rare cars so finding test drives can be difficult.

You can see from my sig that i have no real brand loyalty and just like entertaining fun cars. I have contemplated selling the z06 in order to get a more "special" car but have found other options that allow me to keep the vette as well. I wonder if ill regret selling the vette like those that sold vettes in the 50's and 60's but have pretty much come to the conclusion that c6z06 is replaceable for the forseable future at a reasonable price if i do decide to come back to it and miss it significantly. So what im looking at:

If i keep the vette...im open to both manual and dual-clutch trannys since i have the vette for shifting. I prefer AWD so i can use it more frequently and it is different than the vette but it's not a deal breaker. If i sell the vette it would have to be manual. It would be nice to have 4 "seats" but not a requirement since i do have the jeep, i would just like to have them in a pinch and maybe itll lead to more driving of the car since a lot of times i have to leave the vette at home to drive more than 1 other person.

My budget is kind of $80k but the lower the better obviously and i like these cars because i feel they are different from the vette while still sporty and fun to drive and make ok GT cars as well.

07-09 911 Turbo (65-90k, depending on year and options)
-AWD, Manual Tranny, 4 Seats, Porsche quality, Older car/tech, plenty fast
10-13 GT-R (65-90k, dual-clutch)
-AWD, No Manual, 4 Seats, Fastest, Maintanence costs scare the bejesus out of me, still should have a warranty and no need to mod
12-13 TT-RS (50-60k, manual, mod it with a tune, intercooler, exhaust for a good 450hp or so)
-Cheaper, Manual tranny, 4 seats, new tech, warranty but would probably mod for more power which means warranty may not work. Although i can get over the image it's def. not as cool as others
10-12 GT3/GTS/Cayman S
-Low on power, no AWD (except GTS), Newish tech, 2 seats, great handlers (but are they better than the above?) maybe not as "practical" for all occasions

I dont really want a sports sedan (M3, CTS-V, C63 ect) and the C7 is too much like my z06 already.

If i sell the vette i would be looking at:
13 Viper (kind of like the vette though and i think a little overpriced right now, but the car definitely has presence, power, and tech)
10-11 R8 V10 (interesting to me, and a good all-around sports car/GT car. Manual Tranny, AWD, and Although fast, maybe not as fast as the ones above. But i would argue its the most "special/exotic" of all these cars and would be a good entrance into the supercar relm.

I want a car that is fun to drive around town, can be used to go to/from work (30 miles, no traffic), but can also be used as somewhat of a GT car on road/weekend trips to the mountains/vacations. Which of the above cars do you think would have the best resale value?

Thoughts? Any other cars im missing?

Sorry long post but im car
If I were you I would wait a little longer and see what the C7 performance model brings .Forget the 13 viper it looks great but is pretty much a failure, the performance isn't what it should be for that price, the computer is locked and I doubt it will ever be unlocked , also I can't imagine what an ACR would cost, I think Ralph and Fiat have driven this car into the ground, it is a shame.

As far as p-cars go I can't give you an opinion , because I've never owned one and don't have enough seat time in any model to give you a real opinion.

Going back to what I said earlier, I would really hold off until we see what Chevy has up its sleeve for the vette, the base model looks to be a home run, and that isn't even the fast one , you don't want to kick yourself after you already made a big purchase .
Old 11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
If I were you I would wait a little longer and see what the C7 performance model brings
Going back to what I said earlier, I would really hold off until we see what Chevy has up its sleeve for the vette, the base model looks to be a home run, and that isn't even the fast one , you don't want to kick yourself after you already made a big purchase .
Yeah im sure the new z06/zr1 is going to be great...even if i make this move now...what i would think about doing, is at that point (a couple years down the road), trading my z06 in for a c7 model. So really how good the c7 z06/zr1 is, is independent of this car decision. I dont see myself wanting more than 1 vette.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
I always felt tired after the driving my tt porsche . On the highway it was fun and engaging but as a daily it was not fun. Oh , and before you get hooked on the seductive quality of a certain italian temptress , wander over to those forums and wade through the failures and costs associated with them.
So after driving it for a road trip/weekend vacation, you felt it was more taxing on your mind/body than driving your vette?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

So after driving it for a road trip/weekend vacation, you felt it was more taxing on your mind/body than driving your vette?
I feel the ZR1 is an easier car to drive. By that i mean it is very smooth in the City and does not require much driver concentration. The porsche in the City was taxing requiring more frequent shifting . It also transmitted rough patches of pavement more so than the Vette. The porsche was a nice car and its somewhat unfair to compare an 03 Turbo to a 09 ZR1 but since i had both the ZR1 was and is a better car.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post!

Its either R8V10 or GT-R AND z06. Id like your thoughts on that. To me it kinda makes the having two different sports cars more appealing, but like i said if i miss the z06 i can always find another one which takes me back to the R8 arguments of it being more exotic and what not and more "special." Now i could get an v8 R8 and keep the vette as well but from what ive read the V8 wont fulfill the performance aspect without $$$Mods. Ive also heard bad things about the carbon build up in the V8 DI motors from audi.

And its more the maintanence costs, not replacement parts costs. I have considered the warranty thing since i want to be able to drive carefree (honestly the TT-RS would have the best on the list). But with regards to the 911TT if something breaks, it breaks, and i fix it, but its possible nothing breaks. Since I want to be able to drive the car and put on lots of miles the ongoing maintanence will definitely be there. I know if something breaks itll be way more expensive in the long run than ongoing maintanence but that is more of an "if" statement whereas maintanence is a "when" and its well documented the GT-R needs lots of fluids, tires, brakes. Even though they can be had cheaper not using the dealer they are still expensive and need to be replaced more often (which is the kicker, not the price for the maintanence stuff but the frequency you must pay it).
Its a tough pick between the two option you listed.

GTR and Z06 is a great combination 2 totally different cars with extreme mod potential at sane prices, more smiles per miles kind of cars. Both will for sure be more easy on your pocket compared to R8 V10 and 911TT even after mods. With this option, you and your better half can drive two crazy fast cars without breaking a bank. Also you will get two decently equipped cars at good price. VFM is hard to beat on this one. Also, should you require to travel with more than two ppl, you can still get a GT-R and scare the people in rear seats. This can be done only if you value raw driving experience of z06 and automated feel (to an extent, u still require skills to drive that fast) of GT-R and not give 2 hoot about what car company produces them (Trust me - at $150k it is a huge deal no matter what ppl say).

BUT, i would still pick R8 V10 under warranty over those two. Its simply more exotic than other two. It is fast, looks good, drives good, good interior though options get expensive. It also has good mod potential though it will cost more $$$$. It can act as a GT car as well as a Sports car when required. Also if you are getting the S-Tronic transmission, it will be great and you can have one in manual too.

The maintenance that you speak about for GT-R will be same in R8 and 911TT too. Issues have been widely documented for all four. Do go through all of those. This is something which is a known territory that you should be prepared for no matter what you own. It will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

I see some suggest Maserati and Aston Martin. I won't consider those sports car material. They are great GT cars but not sports car as they are heavy and don't have enough power to get your heart pounding.

Here is how i look at it

You will find Porsche, GT-R and Z06 dime a dozen on road everywhere. But you will rarely find Audi R8 everywhere. In my book, this exclusivity is a huge factor in leaning towards a R8 V10. I am sure this does play a huge role in your selection. The status quo as most say.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=vatakle;1585365526]

I see some suggest Maserati and Aston Martin. I won't consider those sports car material. They are great GT cars but not sports car as they are heavy and don't have enough power to get your heart pounding.

Heart pounding no, but your eyes will water when something goes wrong.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:45 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
They look great,
ummm No

Quick Reply: Looking at a new sports car-Let us discuss