Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cruisin' With a Cruze...um, uh, Diesel

Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Cruisin' With a Cruze...um, uh, Diesel

Just took delivery of my first diesel in a long time. We weren't happy with our GMC 1500 fuel mileage and wanted a really good fuel mileage car and I feel confident, we got it.

Coming back from the dealership, 150 miles we ran the best of 55.9 and averaged 54.6. We "Cruzed" at 72 on the interstate where we got the 55.9 and the rest of the trip was from 65 down to 30 mph. All-in-all, I am very impressed with the power and build quality of the Cruze. With the savings, I can afford to drive the Vette more often...and that's a good thing.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Now mod it to dump black smoke at will and teach those bicyclists a lesson!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scissors
Now mod it to dump black smoke at will and teach those bicyclists a lesson!
No mods needed, everyone needs something to drive when you don't want the Vette gettin' wet. Besides, the Cruze is surprisingly peppy for 151 HP, but with 264 pounds feet of torque. Besides that, the fuel mileage is more than double and almost triple the mileage on the vehicle it replaces.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:22 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

What was the price above the dotted line?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by PeterK
What was the price above the dotted line?
There's a $1000 rebate on all Cruzes through the end of October. I had sunroof $900, Pioneer audio $900, navigation, lit door sills ($550, a waste), black granite premium paint $250, and Cruze diesel convenience package $350 which is improved interior bits and pieces.

The diesel comes automatically with the 2lt package with upgraded suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes, and 17 inch wheels, it also includes leather upholstery. Total cash price would have been $28,020 after the rebate. The dealership gave me the employee price on the car which was worth an additional $800 discount.

It didn't come with fog lights which is kinda strange, but I bought the GM OEM kit off of eBay (free shipping and no sales tax) for $175 from Abernathy Chevrolet and will have a dealership install it for $125 to retain the warranty. The dealership was asking $380 for the kit after sales tax and 2 hours labor to install.

My wife just came back from a 400 mile round trip using less than half a tank of fuel. The tank holds 15.5 gals. We really like it...it's no Corvette in performance, but it is comfortable and gets awesome mpg.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

$28k???
Damn, that is rather lofty price for a cruze. Local VW dealer sent me a letter offering a 2013 passat tdi with dsg for $25k. Their letter also offered a 6sp jetta dti for a shade over 20k.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

$28k???
Damn, that is rather lofty price for a cruze. Local VW dealer sent me a letter offering a 2013 passat tdi with dsg for $25k. Their letter also offered a 6sp jetta dti for a shade over 20k.
I looked at the Passat since I currently have a sport wagon, but it didn't have the content the Cruze did...like plastic upholstery and I didn't like the looks. You could only find 2013 models and they only get 40 mpg vs 46, less hp and much less torque. When I built one the way I wanted it, it was closer to $30k for a Passat. The closest dealer for free maintenance was 100 miles away. They were offering 0% interest, though. Had I not found the Cruze we bought, the next look was the Passat.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I looked at the Passat since I currently have a sport wagon, but it didn't have the content the Cruze did...like plastic upholstery and I didn't like the looks. You could only find 2013 models and they only get 40 mpg vs 46, less hp and much less torque. When I built one the way I wanted it, it was closer to $30k for a Passat. The closest dealer for free maintenance was 100 miles away. They were offering 0% interest, though. Had I not found the Cruze we bought, the next look was the Passat.
And correct me if I'm wrong but cruze is the size of the jetta rather than a passat.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
DDNZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

interested in hearing more as you put more miles on it.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Just took delivery of my first diesel in a long time. We weren't happy with our GMC 1500 fuel mileage and wanted a really good fuel mileage car and I feel confident, we got it.

Coming back from the dealership, 150 miles we ran the best of 55.9 and averaged 54.6. We "Cruzed" at 72 on the interstate where we got the 55.9 and the rest of the trip was from 65 down to 30 mph. All-in-all, I am very impressed with the power and build quality of the Cruze. With the savings, I can afford to drive the Vette more often...and that's a good thing.
I assume you're kind of joking about this right? Spending $28k on a car to get better MPG so you can have enough other money to drive a 2nd car doesn't compute
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
I assume you're kind of joking about this right? Spending $28k on a car to get better MPG so you can have enough other money to drive a 2nd car doesn't compute
It does when the comparison is another car that costs more overall.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

It does when the comparison is another car that costs more overall.
Exactly how expensive is a Vette to run? The OP talked about being able to "afford to drive" his Vette. I assume his monthly payment and insurance remain constant no matter how much he drives it.

$28k is at least a $500/month note and you're spending that to get back money at the pump?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
Exactly how expensive is a Vette to run? The OP talked about being able to "afford to drive" his Vette. I assume his monthly payment and insurance remain constant no matter how much he drives it.

$28k is at least a $500/month note and you're spending that to get back money at the pump?
The comparison in this scenario being another daily driver in addition to the vette. For example:

'Vette + Cruise Diesel is cheaper than 'Vette + Toyota Camry
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

The comparison in this scenario being another daily driver in addition to the vette. For example:

I wouldn't go that far. A camry hybrid can be had for less than $28k, it also offers more interior space and it gets 40mpg combined. Add the higher cost of diesel fuel and spectacular resale value and the a hybrid camry is a better deal all around.

Clearly, the OP was set on buying a diesel car and I'm sure the cruze, while not the best economical solution, is a great car that OP will love.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, the most economical car to own is the Toyota Prius, but the Camry Hybrid is not far behind.

But really, it's almost always less expensive overall if you get a used (reliable) economical vehicle, but let's face it, today's vehicles are safer and have far more amenities as standard equipment. I think we should understand if someone wants a brand new car, even if in a strictly financial sense, it is not the best choice.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

I wouldn't go that far. A camry hybrid can be had for less than $28k, it also offers more interior space and it gets 40mpg combined. Add the higher cost of diesel fuel and spectacular resale value and the a hybrid camry is a better deal all around.

Clearly, the OP was set on buying a diesel car and I'm sure the cruze, while not the best economical solution, is a great car that OP will love.
I said Camry, not Camry hybrid. RIF.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

I said Camry, not Camry hybrid. RIF.
Ok, be it your way, lets take camry. It is sold for about $8k less and gets 28mpg in a combined cycle. The diesel cruiz is rated at 33mpg in a combined cycle. The 20% improvement in mpg will be on part with the premium for which diesel fuel is sold for in my area. For instance, regular gasoline goes for $3.2/gal vs. diesel at $3.8/gal.

Get notified of new replies

To Cruisin' With a Cruze...um, uh, Diesel

Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I'd love to test drive one sometime. It sounds like GM did a good job on the Cruze Diesel. Apparently, they put in a lot of effort into quieting the interior down, and it paid off. I believe it has the highest real world highway mileage of any car.

Michael
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Michael A
I'd love to test drive one sometime. It sounds like GM did a good job on the Cruze Diesel. Apparently, they put in a lot of effort into quieting the interior down, and it paid off. I believe it has the highest real world highway mileage of any car.

Michael
No, it is not. Plenty of small diesel cars in EU get something like 70+ mpg on hwy.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Still, taking on a $500/month payment allows him to afford to buy gas for his Vette?

No, it is not. Plenty of small diesel cars in EU get something like 70+ mpg on hwy.
Link to any of those? I think you're exaggerating again...

When I was in Romania we had one of those small diesel cars you mention and got about 47 MPG HWY with 3 people in it. It was a manual trans car about the size of Ford Fiesta

Search this Thread