Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

So the new Dodge Viper is a hit...NOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default So the new Dodge Viper is a hit...NOT

Chrysler cuts Viper output amid slow sales, growing inventory
Larry P. Vellequette
Automotive News | October 2, 2013 - 4:00 am EST

Chrysler Group has cut output of the SRT Viper by a third and will reassign scores of workers to other plants because of slow sales, growing inventories, and the onset of colder weather.

Workers at Chrysler's Conner Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit, where the car is assembled, were told of the production moves today. None will be laid off; instead they will be reassigned to other Chrysler plants in the Detroit area, a Chrysler spokeswoman said. The exact number of employees who will be reassigned is not yet known.

Ralph Gilles, head of the SRT brand, said that the Viper's delivery to Chrysler's 443 SRT-certified dealers was delayed earlier this year by difficulties in achieving internal quality standards set for the exotic sports coupe.

"We got off to a late start. We had hoped to begin shipping vehicles late last year, but we shipped the first 67 units in April," Gilles said. Chrysler lifted its self-imposed quality holds over the summer and shipped over 200 held Vipers to its SRT dealers in July and August.

"We typically do very well with the Viper in early spring," Gilles said.

The two-seat sports coupe is equipped with the automaker's most powerful engine, a naturally aspirated V-10 that produces 640 hp and 600 pounds-feet of torque.

Gilles had originally said Viper production would be limited to 2,000 vehicles per year, but he said today that number proved optimistic.

"We're really looking at the reality of this type of car in this economy, as well as us controlling the market and making sure that we don't overbuild," Gilles said. The company built 805 Vipers during the 2013 model year, and has switched over to producing 2014 models now.

In eight months on the market -- Viper's first sale was recorded in February -- Chrysler dealers have only sold 426 Vipers in the United States, and dealers have another 565 unsold units in stock -- a 289-day supply.Outside of the United States, the Viper is sold only in a handful of countries in the Middle East.

Even though the 2013 Viper now is now equipped with electronic stability control, which is required under federal safety law, the powerful rear-wheel-drive sports car is a slow seller in the winter months and its tires are not made for cold-weather driving.

Gilles said that most remaining unsold inventory is located in dealerships in warmer climates.

To boost consumer demand, Gilles said SRT would begin visiting Viper dealers in the Southeast in November to allow consumers to test-drive factory-owned Vipers. Some dealers have been reluctant to entrust the powerful and expensive sports cars -- which can retail at up to $160,000 -- to consumers with unknown driving skills. The program will spread north next spring with the return of warmer weather.

"We really have to focus on putting butts in seats," Gilles said.

So, to recap:

For 2013 so far, 426 Vipers sold...and it's a brand-spankin' new model

And in the first two years of the ZR1 ('09-'10), almost 3000 ZR1s were sold...each yr almost 1500...

And we all know 2009-2010 were bad years for retail sales, and the economy...in fact total Vette sales had dropped by more than 60% in 2010, yet 1577 were sold...so Viper guys cannot use the "in this economy" excuse

Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Welcome to this morning.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yep...duck and cover.
While I certainly wouldn't like to see Viper go away, they're going to need to seriously figure out something to push sales. Obviously, they haven't captured the Viper-faithful.

Interestingly enough, I was mocked a few months ago by a few people on this site for pointing out that the Gen V wasn't selling well.

To boost consumer demand, Gilles said SRT would begin visiting Viper dealers in the Southeast in November to allow consumers to test-drive factory-owned Vipers. Some dealers have been reluctant to entrust the powerful and expensive sports cars -- which can retail at up to $160,000 -- to consumers with unknown driving skills.
Yeah...and do you know why? Because a bunch of Gen IV cars were smacked up either during test drives/PDI's or right after being delivered to owners a few years ago. It was theorized to be an issue with the drive-by-wire throttle control.
S.

Last edited by Snorman; 10-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

People are stupid. They form assessments over the internet about things they have no personal experience with and they assume it is gospel. And the mag reviews have become equally stupid.

I have actually driven this Viper and it is an outstanding car. Incredible power, excellent interior, and visually a stunner. In fact, I don't care if the ZR1 beat it. It is my #1 choice at the moment - it's that good. We'll see what this Z07 looks like, but this snake is the real deal.

Vipers are not selling because the dealers all ordered $140K cars with options nobody wants and they won't budge on price. By next year, the dealers will have choked on their over-optioned inventory and people will be able to order the Viper they want.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Also, this belongs in Other cars and it is a dupe thread anyway. IBTL.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by TTRotary
People are stupid. They form assessments over the internet about things they have no personal experience with and they assume it is gospel. And the mag reviews have become equally stupid.

I have actually driven this Viper and it is an outstanding car. Incredible power, excellent interior, and visually a stunner. In fact, I don't care if the ZR1 beat it. It is my #1 choice at the moment - it's that good. We'll see what this Z07 looks like, but this snake is the real deal.

Vipers are not selling because the dealers all ordered $140K cars with options nobody wants and they won't budge on price. By next year, the dealers will have choked on their over-optioned inventory and people will be able to order the Viper they want.
Yeah, everybody is "stupid" because they don't agree with you. Big surprise there. It's your #1 choice...so go buy one instead of talking about it.
I looked closely at the Viper, in person, at dealers and have no interest and it's not because of the $135-140k price tag. I know a number of other Viper owners (current and former) who did the same thing.
S.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Vipers are not selling because the dealers all ordered $140K cars with options nobody wants and they won't budge on price.By next year, the dealers will have choked on their over-optioned inventory and people will be able to order the Viper they want.
So you are saying people can't order what they want today? That's what is causing the non-existent sales... you HAVE to buy what the dealer has in inventory?

I agree the car is great but, no matter how you cut it, SRT missed the mark. They either over priced it horribly, didn't evolve it enough to appeal to non-Viper owners, or Chrysler just can't sell a sports car. Regardless, the lack of sales isn't because dealers ordered over optioned cars... well, unless SRT does not allow customer orders like GM and every other manufacturer does.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, this belongs in Other cars and it is a dupe thread anyway. IBTL.
That's new, a Viper fan asking a Viper thread be moved to OT On the bright side, obviously you will be able to get a good buy on one
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't miss Ralphy at all. The Viper? Meh, I've never been a fan.

After all the gnashing of teeth about Nashville that has gone on around here, especially by Viper fanbois, this Viper story is indeed the real failure. And it's yet another major classic fail in a line of recent fails and Viper fans should look themselves in the mirror and just admit it. Ralph is a classless loser who clearly can't run a proper program and Fiat should clearly show him the door.

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I, for one, am not forming an opinion negatively about the Viper being an outstanding car. I just see the facts, and the facts are, people are voting with their wallet, and that vote is a big "NOT".

You think those ZR1s sold were only $100K cars? Try $125K-plus....yet, they sold.

Got to pay, to play...

But, hey, you like the Viper..cool...good luck

Now go play in their forum, not ours.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

OK girls, let's not get our panties all in a bunch. I'm just giving credit where it is due, having driven the car. I have no idea why it is not selling, but it is not because the car is crappy.

Yes Gthal - the dealer, though very happy to have me test drive a car, was not willing to work on anything other than what was in stock. I told them call me when you are serious about dealing and ordering.

Wayne-baby - I'm on my 4th Vette and I own 2 C6s currently, so I'm cozy at home right here, and I don't believe I'm going anywhere for a long while...

Snor - you're distorting my comment. I was referring to people who bash the car, sight unseen, for things like "handles like crap", "the door sills roast you", "it's dangerous and loud" and other crap that they read and parrot about the older Viper which has absolutely nothing to do with the new one, or even the preceding car. That's just plain stupid - given they have no personal experience with the car. In your case, you looked at it - decided you didn't like it - fine and not stupid, just a choice. Sounds like you didn't drive it, however, which I would suggest is worthwhile.

Last edited by TTRotary; 10-03-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 AM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 66 Posts

It seems the late 90's was the Viper's time. It had 450hp, exotic looks, was noticeably faster in a straight line than most, came out near the top in mag comparison tests, etc.

Then came the vert only Viper, losing some of its good looks, other cars got faster, pushing the Viper's advantages into the hard-to-use category.

And since then, the mags have ragged on them and they've gotten far more expensive. I can't speak to how true any of it is because I haven't driven a newer one. I can say that I really liked the new design when. I first saw it and was excited to learn more, but i just don't like the looks as much as I did at first and the poor reviews have taken away my interest. Perhaps I'm not alone there. I can also say that I generally see the validity in the consensus among the auto press about a given car's strengths and weaknesses once I've driven them.

Ultimately, it has to be the overwhelmingly bad press (fair or not) and the strength of the competition at the price point. The sales really are undeniably dismal.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A month ago I saw new 2013's advertised in the LA Times at dealers for 13K Off MSRP -- and that of course was to start before you walk in and negotiate.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 AM
rijowysock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah they got off to a late start, 22 months i had a deposit down.. and then they still delayed 6 more months..

trying to chase funding and then missing their market entirely.

also too many dealers optioned out cars too much, a 99k viper is easy to sell, a 150k viper is impossible to sell.... dealers make more money on options and got greedy... so their greed is biting them in the *** now and they need SRT to come bail em out...

Last edited by rijowysock; 10-04-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At $135,000, there are some seriously great cars to be considered for purchase besides the Viper. If I had that kind of money lying around to spend on a toy car, I can tell you right now that I'd be marching to the closest Aston Martin dealership and buying a used DBS with the 6-speed. That's how far up there the Viper is priced.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Axial
At $135,000, there are some seriously great cars to be considered for purchase besides the Viper. If I had that kind of money lying around to spend on a toy car, I can tell you right now that I'd be marching to the closest Aston Martin dealership and buying a used DBS with the 6-speed. That's how far up there the Viper is priced.
135 will get you a great low mileage Ferrari F430 -- and there is no way you can compare it to the Viper. Aside from straight on acceleration, the Ferrari eats it for lunch.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Jax419
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TBH, the low number will probably make it more special 10-20 years from now

Get notified of new replies

To So the new Dodge Viper is a hit...NOT

Old 10-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waynelittle1

Now go play in their forum, not ours.
TT owns two C6's, why would you suggest he goes elsewhere? Also why did you post this in the C7 area?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jax419
TBH, the low number will probably make it more special 10-20 years from now
I don't care about 10-20 years from now. Cars like the Viper may be illegal to run on the streets by then anyway.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 AM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin City
135 will get you a great low mileage Ferrari F430 -- and there is no way you can compare it to the Viper. Aside from straight on acceleration, the Ferrari eats it for lunch.
The Viper beats the F430 in the following:
  • 0-60
  • 60-0
  • 1/4 time
  • 1/4 mph
  • top speed
  • slalom speed
  • lateral G
  • horsepower
  • torque
  • mpg
  • probably track time at just any track you can name

So what is this lunch you speak of? I'm hungry. Ok everyone, back to bashing the Viper.

Quick Reply: So the new Dodge Viper is a hit...NOT