Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Thread for all the Porsche guys lurking here

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
They flew a C4 over to Germany to find out why it was performing so well on the track.
Not true.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
And buying either the Vette or the GT-R means what??
:rof l::r ofl: :rof l:
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
What is your experience with both cars by the way? Have you driven a 991 911/911S and a Stingray/Stingray Z51 so that you can claim that the 911/911S has better precision and feel.....??? This ought be good!
Precision and feel was for mainly for the C6. That person's post wasn't talking only about the C7.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Porsche doesn't need to see if there is anything on the Vette, or anything the Vette does, that they need to incorporate in their cars.
Cool story, Brosef. :r ofl:
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Not true.
This newsflash about Porsche airlifting the C4 to Germany was in Car & Driver, circa 1987-89. I'd never forget something like that and I made sure to show it to a coworker who owned a 911.

And to prove my point, here's an excerpt from Car & Driver's comparison test of the 89 C4 and a 911:

The Racetrack

Now we raise the ante. Both Porsche and Chevrolet figure their club-sport models will see high-speed duty on road-racing circuits, so we put both cars to the test on one. Our venue was Willow Springs International Raceway, a gut-tightening, 2.5-mile serpent that climbs the side of a foothill in the Mojave Desert. High velocity is what Willow is all about: our speeds down the front and back straights exceeded 120 mph, and we took five of Willow's nine turns in either fourth or fifth gear.

The balance of power between the Cor*vette and the Porsche tilted dramatically at Willow. The plastic Chevy remained stable and unflappable through the track's white-knuckle sweepers, while the 911 was nervous and unsure. Its tail felt like the heavy end of a pendulum; we found ourselves avoiding braking in the turns at all costs, lest the 911 launch into a series of eye-widening feints and darts. In Willow's diabolical Turn Nine, a high-speed, fourth-gear swoop, the Club Sport turned downright ornery, twitching its tail and sidestepping like a cabaret dancer. It was enough to make us back off.

Which is how the Vette blew the paint off the 911 on the racetrack. The Porsche's best lap time was 1 minute 44.2 seconds. The Vette zipped around in just 1:41.0.

Last edited by Dave68; 10-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Guibo,
I liken buying a Porsche to buying a Rolex watch. The watch isn't more accurate than many others costing far less, but the satisfaction of telling people you have a Rolex must far outweigh its lack of superior functionality.
Or maybe you like the look? Or the artistic functionality of an automatic movement, the way the rotor feels when your arm swings while walking. It doesn't have to be more accurate in order to make people want it. And that's been my point: Objective superiority is not all that matters. (And there are watches that make a Rolex look like old-fashioned and frankly a little cheap by comparison.)
Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guibo
Or maybe you like the look? Or the artistic functionality of an automatic movement, the way the rotor feels when your arm swings while walking. It doesn't have to be more accurate in order to make people want it. And that's been my point: Objective superiority is not all that matters. (And there are watches that make a Rolex look like old-fashioned and frankly a little cheap by comparison.)
A coworker just recently bought a GLK Mercedes SUV. Her previous Mercedes, a 99 SLK had cost her thousands of dollars in repair parts and service for various failed components over the years. The trade-in value to the dealership was $1500.

Yet despite the issues she had, she purchased another MB because she "likes how it looks and feels". To her (and many Porsche drivers, obviously), that is all that matters. Ultimate performance, bang-for-the-buck, and reliability means absolutely nothing.

This is why Porsche's (and Apple's) profit margin is so high-because of people like this.

Last edited by Dave68; 10-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

This newsflash about Porsche airlifting the C4 to Germany was in Car & Driver, circa 1987-89. I'd never forget something like that and I made sure to show it to a coworker who owned a 911.

And to prove my point, here's an excerpt from Car & Driver's comparison test of the 89 C4 and a 911:
In 1985, the Chevy Corvette sold for approximately half of the comparibly equipped Porsche 928, yet was capable of handling/performing at the same level as the German Sportscar.

Infact, when doing a performance comparison of the 1985 Corvette and the Porsche 928, the Corvette outran the Porsche and was named the "Fastest Car In America" after hitting top speeds of 150 miles per hour.

The results of this survey, combined with the return of the Corvette to racing circuits in 1985, were so unsettling to the Porsche engineers that they bought two 1985 Corvettes, shipped them to Germany and took them apart in an attempt to determine what made them so quick!

Last edited by Lavender; 10-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

In 1988, the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) banned all showroom stock Corvettes from competing in its racing events.

The reason for this decision?

The Chevy Corvette had not been beaten in three years of racing competition against some of the world's best sports cars, and the competition complained so loudly that the governing body of the SCCA had to respond.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Dave68
Race Director

In 1985, the Chevy Corvette sold for approximately half of the comparibly equipped Porsche 928, yet was capable of handling/performing at the same level as the German Sportscar.

Infact, when doing a performance comparison of the 1985 Corvette and the Porsche 928, the Corvette outran the Porsche and was named the "Fastest Car In America" after hitting top speeds of 150 miles per hour.

The results of this survey, combined with the return of the Corvette to racing circuits in 1985, were so unsettling to the Porsche engineers that they bought two 1985 Corvettes, shipped them to Germany and took them apart in an attempt to determine what made them so quick!

Thanks, Lavender. My memory served me well.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Lavender. My memory served me well.
You welcome. I wasn't even born in 1985 I called my father and he told me he remembered this as well. He checked smtn online and came back to me with this. While I'm more of a "Porsche" guy..he is a die-hard Corvette guy since his youth.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Source?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Source?
Google.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

A coworker just recently bought a GLK Mercedes SUV. Her previous Mercedes, a 99 SLK had cost her thousands of dollars in repair parts and service for various failed components over the years. The trade-in value to the dealership was $1500.

Yet despite the issues she had, she purchased another MB because she "likes how it looks and feels". To her (and many Porsche drivers, obviously), that is all that matters. Ultimate performance, bang-for-the-buck, and reliability means absolutely nothing.

This is why Porsche's (and Apple's) profit margin is so high-because of people like this.
Because of "people like this"...Did you mean that in a derogatory sense?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Google.
...came up with a Corvette enthusiast site as a source:
http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/C4..._Overview.html
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

...came up with a Corvette enthusiast site as a source:
http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/C4..._Overview.html
That website is not bad actually. Thanks for that! Try C&D articles. The years were mentioned already. Since you do nothing but race magazine articles online..it shouldn't be a problem for you.....

...Right? RIGHT?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

That website is not bad actually. Thanks for that! Try C&D articles. The years were mentioned already. Since you do nothing but race magazine articles online..it shouldn't be a problem for you.....
...Right? RIGHT?
It might not be a bad site, but it's hardly a disinterested source. That's funny, you didn't seem to have any problem with my "racing magazine articles online" when I discussed Viper vs Vette.
I'm not the one making the claim...Why should I be the one to look it up, which may or may not even exist in the 36 volumes that may or might not even exist online?

Last edited by Guibo; 10-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thread for all the Porsche guys lurking here

Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Guibo,

I liken buying a Porsche to buying a Rolex watch. The watch isn't more accurate than many others costing far less, but the satisfaction of telling people you have a Rolex must far outweigh its lack of superior functionality.
Are you saying that purchasing a corvette is a financially sensible decision because it is a practical family car?

I think purchasing of the corvette is very much like purchasing a Rolex. Hell, the buyers of either brand are typically middleaged and overweight.

I purchased my car because I was fed up with dismal reliability of my corvettes and besides I needed a car with 4 seats.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Because of "people like this"...Did you mean that in a derogatory sense?
...only if those people aren't armed....

Seriously, I recall how residents of a small town were upset with Californians because they would keep property costs artificially high by NOT bargaining with the sellers.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by PeterK
Are you saying that purchasing a corvette is a financially sensible decision because it is a practical family car?

I think purchasing of the corvette is very much like purchasing a Rolex. Hell, the buyers of either brand are typically middleaged and overweight.

I purchased my car because I was fed up with dismal reliability of my corvettes and besides I needed a car with 4 seats.
Not at all, but like a Seiko, it performs as well as any Rolex for far less.
It may not be as reliable as a Seiko, but certainly, it represents value for the dollar by anyone's book. After all, there are no more Supras and GTRs are more expensive.

Quick Reply: Thread for all the Porsche guys lurking here