Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Range Rover

Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM
IndyZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover

I am looking at the full size Range Rover HSE's. 2011-2013. Does anyone have any experience with them? What do you think? A lot of people say they always break down and are expensive to fix, but the people I hear say that have never owned one. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Tons of info here --
http://www.rangerovers.net/
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Buy two, one to drive while the other one is in the shop...

The newer ones are not as bad but they still have issues. Buy one with a warranty and don't worry about it!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I know a couple people who have them (one with a RR Sport and the other with the regular RR). They are a bit more prone to issues and maintenance but nothing insane. Not a bad idea to get one with a warranty as I do know that repairs out of warranty are costly.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Person I work with purchased a new one. I cant tell you how many times I pick him up and drop him off for service due to one issue or another. Yes it is newer but they never have loaner vehicles, for him to use must all be out (wonder why). Anyway after its out of warranty he says its gone (cant say I blame him).
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junk! run don't walk from any Range Rover deal.

Just one of many stories........
When I was in the car business a guy showed up at my Toyota dealership wanting to trade in a brand new Range Rover with only 35 miles on it for a new Toyota Land Cruiser. Turns out he was given a new Range Rover to replace his last Range Rover, that had become a lemon law return.

We could not give the poor guy nearly what he owed on it (Range Rovers also have horrible trade in value) The unhappy gentleman goes to leave and his new Range Rover won't start.

It left later that day on a flat bed.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,417 Likes on 2,789 Posts

They're wonderful vehicles, but as others have stated, can be problematic.

I've seen plenty that run great and last forever. But there's also a lot of them that constantly have issues that can never be fixed. Reality is, the Brits just can't build reliable cars. They focus a lot of time on details and materials and feeling expensive, but they completely forget to make sure it works.

If you're looking at the last gen RR, do yourself a favor and look at QX56 and Grand Cherokee Overland. Save yourself a buncha money and they're flat out better. The features list of the RR and GC Overland are similar, with an edge going to the Jeep. It's not as flashy, and you get a bit less leather, but its a solid vehicle that will actually start when you want it to.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

blah blah blah. Everyone's brother, and sister, have owned one and they say it sucked. Mostly nonsense from these people.

I recently sold an '08 RRS SC and it didn't have any major issues over nearly 80,000 miles. I had to replace a cable for one of the door locks (under warranty, but was under $400 if not), and it didn't like batteries that much so it had two new batteries over five years.

Anything before 2005/2006 is certainly more prone to issues. Anything after that is a major upgrade and not likely to be any more problematic that anything else on the road. Parts are a bit pricey if you do need something, but that goes with the territory of any upscale brand.

However, these SUVs are heavy and not that fast. Mine had 390 horse power and is slower than the Ford Flex Ecoboost I now own. The newer model HREs have 400 HP out of the new 5 liter V8, but still only manage a pokey 0-60 in just over 7 seconds. Not bad I guess for nearly 3 tons. The X5 and Cayenne will be much sportier, have about the same interior dimensions, get better gas mileage, and for all practical purpose are just a good off road. Doing it all over again, I'd probably have purchased a Cayenne S. But you'll find someone here saying their cousin's sister had an X5 and Cayenne and it was crap too.

Second the advice for the QX56 and the Jeep. But the QX56 is a beast too, almost 3 tons.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The big question is: What will you do with it? If you want a luxurious SUV that never breaks down, look elsewhere. If your SUV does not have to be an off-road goat of a vehicle, consider Lexus. Our Lexus RX400h gets 25+ MPG, is all-wheel drive, does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and has not had one issue other than a temporary CD error in all its 8 years of life. I have known many folks who owned German SUVs and not one bought 2 in a row.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Just search my screen name and "Range Rover Sport Supercharged" or something like that. Amazing rigs that do everything well. I wheeled mine hard, towed with it, AutoXed it and enjoyed the heck out of it with very few issues. I only sold it so I could get a diesel pickup and a a big 5th wheel trailer.

-TJ
Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Here is no roads and winter is up to 8 month of a year in Russia. Most popular car is a SUV. Small crossover for a little family or a huge Suburban or Sequoia. And if you're a cool guy you can live at a peasant house but the car must be a cool big SUV. =)

Some of my friends had and now have got Range Rovers. Quality depends of your luck. Some told that more than 100 000 km and no problems but majority spends most part of their salary for servicing their Range Rovers. The most reliable part of the car is engine. But it is BMW's. Anything could happen. Electrics. AWD system....

But... first you are young and nothing burdens you why not? When you parking your car by the night club and it is Range Rover all provincial girls arrived to conquer the big city are yours!

Second. a "worn"-one Range Rover is best buy compared to the new one. For example here in russia 2-years second-hand Lexus LX or GX is only 10 percent less than new. Mercedes - 20 %. BMW and Audi up to 30 %. ANd RR can be even a half-price of new! Of course, if you need to sell it that would be chip.

Third. When Ford Motor co sold RR to India company TATA quality has improved. And RR made in 2009 and later aren't so breakable. But ill repute saves low second-hand price.

And the fourth and most important. This is the most comfortable car of all SUVs! Lexuses? Do not make me laugh! Durable but not more! Interior of them looks like Lexuses in 1988. Mercedeses? Range Rover five points comfortable than any Mercedes. Smoothest ride! Deathly silence inside. Interior view as in the best houses of London =)
And finally the seats. I don't know more comfortable ones. A lot of adjustments. Why not pay for this?

If you like it why not?

PS you are Americans and have got lots of great SUVs. Even here in Russia and Europe too Escalade or Tahoe or Navigator (I know they are near the same). Considered to be almost the best choice of course if you can pay high taxes for. Better only Lexus LX but it is expensively. Also, the new Grand Cherokee is a wonderful car. I cannot unerstand why you need some Indian-an a bit English SUV if yu can buy great native.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
blah blah blah. Everyone's brother, and sister, have owned one and they say it sucked. Mostly nonsense from these people.

I recently sold an '08 RRS SC and it didn't have any major issues over nearly 80,000 miles. I had to replace a cable for one of the door locks (under warranty, but was under $400 if not), and it didn't like batteries that much so it had two new batteries over five years.

Anything before 2005/2006 is certainly more prone to issues. Anything after that is a major upgrade and not likely to be any more problematic that anything else on the road. Parts are a bit pricey if you do need something, but that goes with the territory of any upscale brand.

However, these SUVs are heavy and not that fast. Mine had 390 horse power and is slower than the Ford Flex Ecoboost I now own. The newer model HREs have 400 HP out of the new 5 liter V8, but still only manage a pokey 0-60 in just over 7 seconds. Not bad I guess for nearly 3 tons. The X5 and Cayenne will be much sportier, have about the same interior dimensions, get better gas mileage, and for all practical purpose are just a good off road. Doing it all over again, I'd probably have purchased a Cayenne S. But you'll find someone here saying their cousin's sister had an X5 and Cayenne and it was crap too.

Second the advice for the QX56 and the Jeep. But the QX56 is a beast too, almost 3 tons.
Most Range Rover owners are like you and claim "Had no major issues" or "It's fairly dependable" I find it unacceptable to pay that kind of money for a any vehicle that is fairly dependable, when you can buy an inexpensive Honda or Toyota SUV that is 100% dependable, 100% of the time, for most of their owners.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I have a friend's brother's Uncle's nephew's work colleague's father-in-law who was at the bakery and overheard a customer complain to their friend over chai mocha low-fat latte's about a few problems here & there, but I can't validate that. Sorry.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
UE Triplefi
Pro

Forget land rovers...

Both Acura MDX & RDX and premium GM SUV's such as Cadillac Escalade has just as much road presence as Rovers while delivering customers world-class durability and reliability.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
PS you are Americans and have got lots of great SUVs. Even here in Russia and Europe too Escalade or Tahoe or Navigator (I know they are near the same). Considered to be almost the best choice of course if you can pay high taxes for. Better only Lexus LX but it is expensively. Also, the new Grand Cherokee is a wonderful car. I cannot unerstand why you need some Indian-an a bit English SUV if yu can buy great native.
Historically, Chrysler products have had the worse reliability of all vehicles, foreign and domestic. Yes, the newer ones may be more reliable, but they are still not that close to Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura/Infiniti reliability. And I'm surprised that you feel that Lexus interiors are not classy enough. Have you seen the IS350 F-Sport dash? No Range Rover instrument cluster comes close.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Most Range Rover owners are like you and claim "Had no major issues" or "It's fairly dependable" I find it unacceptable to pay that kind of money for a any vehicle that is fairly dependable, when you can buy an inexpensive Honda or Toyota SUV that is 100% dependable, 100% of the time, for most of their owners.
Most kool aid drinkers are like you who had one bad experience with a vehicle and write off the brand. RRs have had their issues historically, but the new gen stuff is very good. You're probably like a guy I work with who won't by a GM car because of some POS he bought in 1985, literally. Almost 30 years and he can't get over it.

I had a Honda (Civic) and a Toyota (Corolla). Reasonably reliable but not perfect by any means. My RR was more reliable in the end than either of those cars. Now wears my kool aid packet?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave68
Have you seen the IS350 F-Sport dash? No Range Rover instrument cluster comes close.
2013 model year? Hadn't a chance yet. Only on pictures. These cars I actually haven't seen on the streets. But I did test drive the updated GS. I liked very much. I had IS250, but the previous generation, and I sold it this year. The interior of the good and I like it more than interior of the Mercedes C-klasse.

I generally about another. Right now I have the old Lexus GX470 2005. The interior of RR 2005 is much more interesting.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM
75SHARK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had one since 2009 with no issues and would definitely buy another one. I chose it because it's nice and I actually regularly use it off road for trail riding. It seems the majority of people talking about Land Rover horror stories are the ones that have never owned one.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
2013 model year? Hadn't a chance yet. Only on pictures. These cars I actually haven't seen on the streets. But I did test drive the updated GS. I liked very much. I had IS250, but the previous generation, and I sold it this year. The interior of the good and I like it more than interior of the Mercedes C-klasse.

I generally about another. Right now I have the old Lexus GX470 2005. The interior of RR 2005 is much more interesting.
Don't feel bad; my 2008 Mazda MX-5 PRHT has one of the most plain interiors you can get in any car, but that doesn't bother me at all when I drive the car. It is definitely the most fun car I have ever driven.

Get notified of new replies

To Range Rover

Search this Thread