Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Hurricane 32 valve engine

Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Hurricane 32 valve engine

Vs. 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 engine

Which engine is going to be more reliable and trouble free?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I would say they are pretty equal. The HEMI powertrain in the Challengers are pretty reliable and it is paired to a great transmission. The Mustang has a good powertrain, but it is paired to a ****** getrag transmission.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
I would say they are pretty equal. The HEMI powertrain in the Challengers are pretty reliable and it is paired to a great transmission. The Mustang has a good powertrain, but it is paired to a ****** getrag transmission.
Yes they were having problems with the manual transmissions made in China. It went all the way to the NHTSA and was dismissed.
I have heard that the 5.7 Challenger with automatic transmission with that Multi Displacement System (MDS) is having problems blowing off timing chains.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 5.0 with the automatic. From what I have read on the forums, the automatic is the way to go on these cars for reliability. People have been building the power north of 600hp and still running strong with the bone stock auto. Manuals... not so much.

I was over on challengerforumz and there have been a number of people reporting broken timing chains on the 5.7s not the 6.1 or 6.4 engines. I imagine the 6.4s would be pretty damn solid. The Challengers transmissions are built in Germany which I thought they would be a Getrag since they are German but meh.

-Alex
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
I have a 2012 5.0 with the automatic. From what I have read on the forums, the automatic is the way to go on these cars for reliability. People have been building the power north of 600hp and still running strong with the bone stock auto. Manuals... not so much.

I was over on challengerforumz and there have been a number of people reporting broken timing chains on the 5.7s not the 6.1 or 6.4 engines. I imagine the 6.4s would be pretty damn solid. The Challengers transmissions are built in Germany which I thought they would be a Getrag since they are German but meh.

-Alex
Very interesting as on my 2005 Corvette the rear end is Getrag. On my 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 the only way to go at that time was with a 5 spd. manual. Automatic back then made a big difference which made manual T-5 Borg Warner transmission a better choice for performance.

I have not heard anything good about Dodge Challengers just that the 5.7 engines with the Multi Displacement System with automatic transmissions are blowing their timing chains and poor customer dealer service in solving this problem along with quality control issues.
On the Challenger I would go with the manual transmission anyway whether it be R/T or SRT. Too bad the V6 SXT only comes in automatic.
At least Ford makes their V6 model in both transmissions.
So the 6.1 and 6.4 engines with automatics are not having this problem because they would also have that MDS feature for fuel economy

Last edited by LS WON; 07-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I understand, Getrag itself isn't a bad company but they are having plenty of their transmission built in China. If you are familiar with the 1993-2002 Supra twin turbo, the 6 speed is a Getrag unit and is strong enough to live daily with 1,000hp. BONE STOCK. I believe that transmission was built in Germany though, but can't verify.

There was a lady at my job that had/as(not sure she doesn't work here anymore) a 2011 GT California Special and had to have the transmission serviced 4 times while I knew her here. I don't know if the 6.1s or 6.4s are having the chain issues that the R/T cars do but, when I was more frequent on that forum, the R/T owners were the ones that reported the issues. So that doesn't really mean anything one way or another. I wouldn't buy an R/T anyway, a used SRT is the way to go for me at least. But I would go with the auto. One of the main reasons I went with the Mustang, no cylinder deactivation. Running on all 8 all the time.

-Alex
Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean the coyote 5.0? The hurricane is the different 6.2's in the trucks.

The 5.7's I had heard of the timing chain issue, but I suspect it is being blown out of proportion.

The 5.0's did have manual trans problems, but honestly can't say I've heard of any recently(not that I'm actively looking mind you). Dunno if quality control was put on high alert or what, but I wouldn't be afraid of getting one personally. The auto, no major complaints I've seen.

As far as the Challenger, the auto is a modified Benz unit, built to take some abuse. It is also geared a hair more optimally for the quarter mile. Most owners seem to say on any given day/driver, the auto is faster usually. The manual is the TR6060. Both transmissions seem to be good choices.

Neither auto, nor manual 6.1 have MDS cylinder shut down. Only the auto 5.7's have MDS. This also gives them a different hp rating then the 6 speed 5.7. I think the 6 speed 5.7 revs a little higher too, but could be crazy. Also, the auto 6.4 has MDS, despite being hp rated identically as the non-MDS 6.4 which has always struck me as odd.

Me personally, I'd go with the mustang. I couldn't buy a Challenger on principle alone that it is the only performance car still made with an iron block. Factor in price and performance specs, mustang easy for me.

You have to want to buy a Challenger, to even look at a Challenger. If you want a performance car, it starts to drown in a sea of big numbers competition.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

From what I understand, Getrag itself isn't a bad company but they are having plenty of their transmission built in China. If you are familiar with the 1993-2002 Supra twin turbo, the 6 speed is a Getrag unit and is strong enough to live daily with 1,000hp. BONE STOCK. I believe that transmission was built in Germany though, but can't verify.

There was a lady at my job that had/as(not sure she doesn't work here anymore) a 2011 GT California Special and had to have the transmission serviced 4 times while I knew her here. I don't know if the 6.1s or 6.4s are having the chain issues that the R/T cars do but, when I was more frequent on that forum, the R/T owners were the ones that reported the issues. So that doesn't really mean anything one way or another. I wouldn't buy an R/T anyway, a used SRT is the way to go for me at least. But I would go with the auto. One of the main reasons I went with the Mustang, no cylinder deactivation. Running on all 8 all the time.

-Alex
Don't want that MDS cylinder deactivation feature. Mustang is the better performance car over Challenger but the Challenger is going to have a better comfortable ride. I don't think the suspension will beat you up like that solid live rear axle on Mustang.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 AM
vigalante
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Whipple 4.5 L Supercharger! It will be available for the GT500's first and other models after. Expect about 850 RWHP on the GT500!

Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

-Alex
That broken timing chain thread is the longest thread I have ever seen At least challengers have lots of room and extra ground clearance compared to a Corvette where y ou have to worry about certain driveways or speed bumps.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Hurricane 32 valve engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Hurricane 32 valve engine