Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Debating selling my old viper

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The post that stated Viper values are increasing is absolutely false. These cars are NOT going up in value and there is no substantiating proof of the fact by any means.

Many cars have had a bit of "phantom" value increase, due to a mildy...and I mean MILDLY rekindling economy and some looser spending. C5 corvette values rose a few percent over the past year as well.

If the Viper GTS you have needs work, you're going to eat it either way. Either you need to fix it or sell it at a price that allows someone else to spend the same money you will to repair it. It's more or less a choice of keep it LONG term, or get rid of it now before the value falls more. That's the bottom line.
He has ACR, not regular GTS, your statement is false.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:07 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:
The post that stated Viper values are increasing is absolutely false. These cars are NOT going up in value and there is no substantiating proof of the fact by any means.

Many cars have had a bit of "phantom" value increase, due to a mildy...and I mean MILDLY rekindling economy and some looser spending. C5 corvette values rose a few percent over the past year as well.

If the Viper GTS you have needs work, you're going to eat it either way. Either you need to fix it or sell it at a price that allows someone else to spend the same money you will to repair it. It's more or less a choice of keep it LONG term, or get rid of it now before the value falls more. That's the bottom line.

--------------------------------------------------------------

His statement is false on both accounts. Gen II GTS's have NOT dropped in value the past 3-4 years. Common ones have stayed about the same (even thought the mileages have increased slightly), and less common (or extremely well kept) examples have begun increasing in value. I see that trend continuing. Of course this excludes the 'R-Title', 'EBAY Vipers that have a story not told', or 4+ owner cars that I'm sure someone could bring up.... We're talking clean cars here. There are not that many 'clean\no story' Gen II GTS/ACR's around. And they are going to become less and less common.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Onerareviper

His statement is false on both accounts. Gen II GTS's have NOT dropped in value the past 3-4 years. Common ones have stayed about the same (even thought the mileages have increased slightly), and less common (or extremely well kept) examples have begun increasing in value. I see that trend continuing. Of course this excludes the 'R-Title', 'EBAY Vipers that have a story not told', or 4+ owner cars that I'm sure someone could bring up.... We're talking clean cars here. There are not that many 'clean\no story' Gen II GTS/ACR's around. And they are going to become less and less common.
Yes, I agree, the cars I have seen taking a dive are the first run of RT10 but only after someone ran them to the ground... I just thought it was pretty funny someone claimed ACR depreciating
Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Why would you sell your Viper for anything? And that's back when it was still a Dodge. Some cars stay cool (and still pretty quick) no matter how much time passes. Do yourself a favor and give it the TLC. Pick up a C7 later.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In 2 yrs the vette will be worth half and your acr will be worth the same. there will be 20000 vettes in the same color as yours and maybe 3 other acrs somewhere else in the world.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The C7's will be discounted. GM has its buyers so hooked and trained on rebates and discounts that they have to offer them.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPJR
I say keep the Viper.
To me, this:

Looks WAY better than this:

I owned a 2001 RT/10.
Loved the look, but it was in no way a daily driver.
My 2013 GS handles my DD tasks easily and comfortably, while looking almost as good as my Viper.
NO WAY does it look better than C7. The Viper looks dated compared to C7 and looks very crude too. In its own way, Viper looks good but bring in a C7 and it looks old, crude and fugly. YMMV

To the OP, keep the Viper for now, fix it, use it and get more smiles per miles. Get C7 - Z07 in next 2-3 years and sell the viper then. The difference will be very noticeable and much better to live with everyday
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by vatakle
NO WAY does it look better than C7. The Viper looks dated compared to C7 and looks very crude too. In its own way, Viper looks good but bring in a C7 and it looks old, crude and fugly. YMMV

To the OP, keep the Viper for now, fix it, use it and get more smiles per miles. Get C7 - Z07 in next 2-3 years and sell the viper then. The difference will be very noticeable and much better to live with everyday
I have the exact same ACR but mine is a 1999( the last year for the forged motors and bad azz cam ), I buy and sell a ton of cars, but the viper is one that they will bury me in, mine one of 26 made in my color combo in 1999 and only 215 ACR total in 1999, there were only 218 total in 2000.

For anyone to even compare the mass produced corvette to a car they barely made 200 of is just dumb, a one year old year C7 will be around the same price as a nice regular GTS, the car is timeless, and one of the nicest looking cars to ever roll out of a production line.

I've owned corvettes from c4 to C6 base to performance, the owner experience alone cannot be compared.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Quote:

Consider the source , the guy know nothing about vipers, but knows how to. Write PM's that are as long as some books, babbling clueless crap ( if you so choose to read them, I just skimmed it and laughed, , I had better things to do like stare at the wall
As a car collector I look at the gen 2 vipers as the modern day Shelby Cobras , which we all know are worth nothing now
Cars like GN's /GNX's, GT-500's, mid year vettes, gen 2 vipers are some of the cars you don't get rid of.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I have the exact same ACR but mine is a 1999( the last year for the forged motors and bad azz cam ), I buy and sell a ton of cars, but the viper is one that they will bury me in, mine one of 26 made in my color combo in 1999 and only 215 ACR total in 1999, there were only 218 total in 2000.

For anyone to even compare the mass produced corvette to a car they barely made 200 of is just dumb, a one year old year C7 will be around the same price as a nice regular GTS, the car is timeless, and one of the nicest looking cars to ever roll out of a production line.

I've owned corvettes from c4 to C6 base to performance, the owner experience alone cannot be compared.
I am just comparing the looks of both. I don't care how many were manufactured or how ownership experience is. Sorry to say, but IMHO, viper is not THE nicest looking cars. It is good looking but i have seen better.

I do appreciate that you have a good car that was limited to just 200 units and that you love it. Hope you have many more miles of fun in it and don't let it go. You must have great memories with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I am just comparing the looks of both. I don't care how many were manufactured or how ownership experience is. Sorry to say, but IMHO, viper is not THE nicest looking cars. It is good looking but i have seen better.

I do appreciate that you have a good car that was limited to just 200 units and that you love it. Hope you have many more miles of fun in it and don't let it go. You must have great memories with it.
Looks are objective and you are entitled to what you like best , for me, the viper just does it in terms of looks, I can name many cars that ride better etc.

I don't drive the Viper all that much wanting to keep the miles down, especially since its an ACR.

The person who posted earlier is 100% correct, fact is gen 2 Vipers in great shape, low miles etc, have not gone down in price for the last 3 years, with this economy I don't think anything will go up, but they certainly have NOT gone down

Regardless , I didn't buy my Viper to make money off it, I bought it because it was the exact model, color,year, viper I had always wanted, I got lucky in being able to find it( there was only one in the whole nation and I grabbed it.

Funny story, had to have my mother call, as the seller didnt want to get rid of it, his wife heard a female leaving a message and picked up the phone( all the messages I left were being deleted)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About Viper values. A friend of mine bought a 1996 blue and white GTS with 12k miles on it back in late 2001 for $42k. The car has close to 20k miles on it now. He keeps about 10 cars at a time, some being new exotics. The exotics he buys when they are a new model and sells for a small loss while they are still "hot on the market" as he puts it.

I bet that B/W GTS is still worth close to the $42k he paid for it back 12 years ago. What other car could you buy that would hold value that well?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Dude, your opinion an anything about Vipers is rediculously biased because you own one. The thing I don't get about you is how offended you get when someone says anything against the Viper. Why do you care what other people think about your car? Accept it, to a LOT of people the Viper is a piece of junk. Regardless of how many they built, how cool they look, etc. They're not a "fun" car to drive. Do you think they only built so many because they wanted to keep the volume low? No, they only built so many because no one would buy them. Yes, they are all instant collectibles. The looks will stand the test of time as well as any car ever made. But sorry, I've owned two Vipers. And if someone said to me, would you rather have (and drive) an 800 horsepower 1999 Viper or a new C7, it wouldn't even be close. In my opinion (read that again, my opinion) the Gen 1 and 2 Vipers are cars to buy and park for 20 years and re-sell and make some money. They are not a car to enjoy driving. The weren't meant to be.

I don't know what is so offensive about that to Viper owners? Is it because you expect everyone to wish they had your car and you find it impossbile for anyone not to wish they had it? Sorry, like I said, I've owned 2 and there won't be a third.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nat04Z06
Dude, your opinion an anything about Vipers is rediculously biased because you own one. The thing I don't get about you is how offended you get when someone says anything against the Viper. Why do you care what other people think about your car? Accept it, to a LOT of people the Viper is a piece of junk. Regardless of how many they built, how cool they look, etc. They're not a "fun" car to drive. Do you think they only built so many because they wanted to keep the volume low? No, they only built so many because no one would buy them. Yes, they are all instant collectibles. The looks will stand the test of time as well as any car ever made. But sorry, I've owned two Vipers. And if someone said to me, would you rather have (and drive) an 800 horsepower 1999 Viper or a new C7, it wouldn't even be close. In my opinion (read that again, my opinion) the Gen 1 and 2 Vipers are cars to buy and park for 20 years and re-sell and make some money. They are not a car to enjoy driving. The weren't meant to be.

I don't know what is so offensive about that to Viper owners? Is it because you expect everyone to wish they had your car and you find it impossbile for anyone not to wish they had it? Sorry, like I said, I've owned 2 and there won't be a third.
Offensive ? I have owned more vettes than vipers , its the vette people who have an opinion about vipers, who have never even sat in one that bother me.
The same ole magazine quotes you see over and over.
For me its not being biased, IMO , I will always pick a viper over a vette, not for any lack of love of corvette, especially the C6 ZR, the viper will just always be the car I prefer.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Offensive ? I have owned more vettes than vipers , its the vette people who have an opinion about vipers, who have never even sat in one that bother me.
The same ole magazine quotes you see over and over.
For me its not being biased, IMO , I will always pick a viper over a vette, not for any lack of love of corvette, especially the C6 ZR, the viper will just always be the car I prefer.
Ragging on other cars will make C7 look better
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Why would you sell your Viper for anything? And that's back when it was still a Dodge. Some cars stay cool (and still pretty quick) no matter how much time passes. Do yourself a favor and give it the TLC. Pick up a C7 later.
You hit it right on the nose sir Charles
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
vatakle
Racer

Looks are objective and you are entitled to what you like best , for me, the viper just does it in terms of looks, I can name many cars that ride better etc.

I don't drive the Viper all that much wanting to keep the miles down, especially since its an ACR.

The person who posted earlier is 100% correct, fact is gen 2 Vipers in great shape, low miles etc, have not gone down in price for the last 3 years, with this economy I don't think anything will go up, but they certainly have NOT gone down

Regardless , I didn't buy my Viper to make money off it, I bought it because it was the exact model, color,year, viper I had always wanted, I got lucky in being able to find it( there was only one in the whole nation and I grabbed it.

Yes, looks vary from person to person and that is why i wrote IMHO. But most of my friends and co-workers don't like it much compared to a zr1 or c7. They are more smitten with the newer version. Since you own a viper i am sure you love it. But look from 3rd angle and you will agree.

As for your car, it seems to me as if you are keeping it more as a garage queen than use it daily or occasionally. I am not a fan of that. Considering you are trying to have it appreciate in value by keeping your miles low shows why you essentially bought it. I am not being judgemental, i know a rare find is like a collector item and i hope you get better value at the end of your ownership. But if you got lucky and you found the exact model, why not drive it, have fun, take it to track and enjoy it rather than trying to keep it low miles.

The vipers are rare but it think its more because of the product failure leading to less production than being exotic rare if you know what i mean. And it seems i was correct. They said it was to recoupe cost for Sebring which was another failure. They should have rather kept the viper.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10802092...e-discontinued

A f40/F1 is what i call rare, exotic and unique. Not a ACR Viper or Vette (any model). If i get a Viper, i would drive it just like a vette.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To Debating selling my old viper

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

The vipers are rare but it think its more because of the product failure leading to less production than being exotic rare if you know what i mean.
Kinda like split window C2?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by petermj
Kinda like split window C2?
If the C2 and gen 2 viper are considered production failures, I cheer on the failures , the C2's IMO are the best of the vette years as the hen 2 vipers are the best of their years IMO.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

If the C2 and gen 2 viper are considered production failures, I cheer on the failures , the C2's IMO are the best of the vette years as the hen 2 vipers are the best of their years IMO.
Actually, split window was a commercial failure at the time when the car was sold. Ironically enough, displeasure from the buyers at that time turned it into a rare and highly sought after classic. All vipers are a commercial failure, this does not detract from the fact they hold their value very well and by many are considered classic cars even today. If you look at the Corvette from that era, there is not a single one that held its value, including ZR1 and Grand Sport, I think they are called affordable classics. Unless we are talking Toyota and Honda, how well the cars sell is completely unrelated to how well they will hold their value in the future.

Quick Reply: Debating selling my old viper