Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Sterling Kit Car - Need someone near Tampa for Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Kit Car - Need someone near Tampa for Fiberglass

With the Sterling finally about to be road-worthy, I need to get some fiberglass work done that's beyond my capabilities and time limitations - I have no idea what this should cost or how long it takes, need to find someone near Tampa who can handle jobs like this.

Here's the car as it sits:

I haven't done anything with that exhaust yet because I wasn't sure whether I would be replacing it with the same (but newer) style or doing something custom. This is a rear engine vehicle so my options are either that "visible hemorrhoid" or build something custom that tucks up a little higher. But the rear of this car needs to go... would like to just pull those upside down TransAm lights and do something more like the Lotus or C3 style:

There are also a bunch of fine cracks in the fiberglass (might just be in the primer, I haven't sanded off enough to tell, but the fiberglass is thick on this kit so there is plenty to work with) - nothing that goes all the way through, just little stress lines. I need to have that all smoothed out too. I am NOT painting this car, just going to do a satin/matte black vinyl rap, so it doesn't have to be "as perfect" as it would be for gloss/paint but still needs to be done right.

Anyone know ballpark about what it would cost to do the rear the way I'm thinking? I know there are variables and all, but I really have no idea, never done anything like this before... are we talking like $3k or $10k? :P Basically I just need to find a shop (or talented individual) that can be trusted, I can google body shops just as well as the next guy but looking for recommendations.

For anyone curious about the car, it's one of the original 1977 Sterling kits, #602, and I am modernizing it a bit as I go. Body is in good shape overall.

Last edited by Ron R; 03-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody has any recommendations for fiberglass work?

Quick Reply: Sterling Kit Car - Need someone near Tampa for Fiberglass