Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Mustangs...

F.Y.I. An associate of mine, at work, went to test drive and buy a "Mustang,
Shelby G T 500" and was told by "two" dealerships that they can not be test driven.
Got to love dealerships...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BS! How do they expect to sell any? You better believe if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a car with over 500hp I'm going to lay a strip down right there in the parking lot. Curious, why is "two" in quotes?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Then I guess they want to keep them!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gobot
BS! How do they expect to sell any? You better believe if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a car with over 500hp I'm going to lay a strip down right there in the parking lot. Curious, why is "two" in quotes?
Very limited supply in the U. S. and, they are supercharged, but the
supercharger doesn't kick in until after being driven over 100 miles.
Not sure that makes sense but thats the reason.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Supercharger doesn't kick in till after 100 miles? What? How?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobot
Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

lol yeah I guess it might.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Not supposed to get a new C6 over 4K RPM for the first 500 miles, per the owner's manual.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Very limited supply in the U. S. and, they are supercharged, but the
supercharger doesn't kick in until after being driven over 100 miles.
Not sure that makes sense but thats the reason.
ummm, the supercharger is ALWAYS working as long as the engine is running since it's belt driven..
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
F.Y.I. An associate of mine, at work, went to test drive and buy a "Mustang,
Shelby G T 500" and was told by "two" dealerships that they can not be test driven.
Got to love dealerships...
well, go to your local Chevy dealer and tell them you want to test drive a new Z06 or ZR1, see how far that gets you..
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe
ummm, the supercharger is ALWAYS working as long as the engine is running since it's belt driven..
Shelby's, for the first 100 miles, the supercharger spins but is not inguaged by the computer. Something like our A/C compressors....they spin but are not inguaged

Last edited by runner140*; 11-15-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well, go to your local Chevy dealer and tell them you want to test drive a new Z06 or ZR1, see how far that gets you..

There was a used car dealership near me that had a C6 sitting out front. The first time I saw it I was driving my daily driver neon, but I figured I would stop and see if he would let me test drive it. Mind you, I had no intention of buying the car but I had never driven/ridden in a C6 so I just wanted to compare it to my C5. The guy wouldn't let me drive it, period. Came back 20 minutes later in the C5 and he apologized, made a photocopy of my driver's license, and tossed me the keys.
Fact is a dealer isn't going to let someone jump in a car if they truly believe they have no intention/ability to buy it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dblerman
:Fact is a dealer isn't going to let someone jump in a car if they truly believe they have no intention/ability to buy it.
The local Chevy dealership let me take their C6 out for a ride even though I told them I had no intention of buying it.

The local Cadillac dealer let me take a C4 with 20000 miles on it for a test drive after I told them I just stopped by to look at it because of the Aqua color and had no intention of buying it. During the drive I noticed it missed badly when accelerating when at highway speed. After they replaced the opti and did some other work I was called and asked to take it for another test drive. I said I was not interested in buying it but they said "no problem, come and drive it". I did and it was much better after being repaired.

One thing I noticed was a sticker still over the guages that stated the analog guages were not linear and were for information only, or something similar. That was the first time I had seen that sticker on a C4.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Since my local Chevy Dealer sponsors our club, I think if I drive my C5 vert into the dealership with my club sticker, I don't think I would have any problem getting a test drive. Heck, I try to avoid the salesman every time I take the car in (which is not often). They know I own a Corvette and I'm there for service and they just can't wait to show me the new Corvettes they have in stock. Just in case I'm "looking".
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
The local Chevy dealership let me take their C6 out for a ride even though I told them I had no intention of buying it.

The local Cadillac dealer let me take a C4 with 20000 miles on it for a test drive after I told them I just stopped by to look at it because of the Aqua color and had no intention of buying it.
But were you a 25 year old who pulled up in a beat up dodge neon?
Maybe it was a slow day at the dealership and the salesman didn't have to worry about missing out on a big commission from someone who was actually interested in a car
But, if you look like you have the ability to buy a car, they will let you test drive it even if you tell them you're "not interested" since there is always the posibility that driving it will make you "interested"
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It cant be "activated" or "deactivated" as it is mechanically driven, motor spins it spins, the lobes inside the SC spin.

A quick search and found that you do have to drive it 5 CONSECUTIVE miles before the bypass valve will build up boost. The bypass valve vents all boost before 5 competitive miles. The lobes of the supercharger are always spinning however.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a used car dealership near me that had a C6 sitting out front. The first time I saw it I was driving my daily driver neon, but I figured I would stop and see if he would let me test drive it. Mind you, I had no intention of buying the car but I had never driven/ridden in a C6 so I just wanted to compare it to my C5. The guy wouldn't let me drive it, period. Came back 20 minutes later in the C5 and he apologized, made a photocopy of my driver's license, and tossed me the keys.
Fact is a dealer isn't going to let someone jump in a car if they truly believe they have no intention/ability to buy it.
Had the exact same thing happen to me in 05. I was 21 and the dealership wasn't about to let me test drive one. I lied about producing a record for a local rap artist and had just received a big check. He went and got the keys quick after hearing that and hounded my for 2 weeks straight via phone and email.

Get notified of new replies

To Mustangs...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 AM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Why would you tell this story, you just proved that the sales man called it right the 1st . Your a waste of his time
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyc6z51
Why would you tell this story, you just proved that the sales man called it right the 1st . Your a waste of his time
It was a waste of time, but the ***-hat salesman judged him by the Neon assuming he couldn't afford a Vette. The waste of time was well deserved.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by chevyc6z51
And I completely admit to wasting his time and accept full responsibility. The topic of this thread is about dealerships not letting someone test drive a car because that person is perceived as being unable to afford the car.

Honestly, if I pulled up driving this, I wouldn't have let me test drive the C6 either