Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

1989 Turbo Trans 20th Anniversity Edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
RossGN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1989 Turbo Trans 20th Anniversity Edition

****Off the market (for now) Consigning the car to the Dallas Mecum Auction....looks like it will run through sometime Saturday evening Sept 8****

1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am. Just over 82k miles. Clean inside and out. Cloth interior (rare). Quality repaint in 2009. Car runs strong and previous owner compiled a ton of receipts getting everything ready for the 2009 Hot Rod Power Tour.

Additional pics can be seen at:

http://www.fquick.com/rossgn

Last edited by RossGN; 08-20-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

That's a sweetie , that's a good deal GLWS. Should move quickly even in this soft market.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well now, that's something you don't see every day. I was always baffled they didn't give the TA version a manual trans though as it had room for a 5/6 speed from the get go unlike Buicks. Did gm not have a manual to mate up to the v6?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I got a ride in one of those once. Man, that thing was faaaassstttt. Sweet cars.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice sled. Out of 1550 TTA's built only 187 had cloth interiors and T-Tops; 150 of those were Festival Cars(present at Indy for the the month of May,1989). What are the last 5 digits of the Vin number? I can probably tell the sequence number and whether it is a Festival Car.
BTW, I owned TTA#916, and presently own #14(18k miles, Festival Car).

Last edited by SouthBaySurfer; 08-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Oh how i lusted after this car back in the day.

Mom still has her 84 TA parked outside in the woods, i think she at least starts it occasionally. I hope someday she gives it to me so i can try and restore it. Its only a 5.0 with the Rochester 4BL. I remember the day she brought it home (dad also bought an 84 TA but he sold it a few years later when i turned 16) it was amazing in charcoal gray with silver ground effects and tinted windows. All of my friends were in awe.

Now today i have a cyber gray C6 (previously had spiral gray C5) i think she knows i get the fascination earnestly.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW what a beautiful piece of history!! I love that car and the motor is amazing! Are there any mods or is that baby all stock? I had a typhoon with the 4.3 but wish they went with the 3.8...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

nice car, i sold my 6k mile TTA back in 07 for $26,500 what are the low mile TTA doing cash wise now, been a while since i checked.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
RossGN
Racer

****Off the market (for now) Consigning the car to the Dallas Mecum Auction....looks like it will run through sometime Saturday evening Sept 8****
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

How quick are these cars? I have an '87 GN but I've heard that the TTA's were faster, is this true?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
RossGN
Racer

TTA heads flowed a little better than the GN and it has the GNX intercooler (more fins per inch). Car was a few hundred pounds lighter with much better aerodynamics.. I've had a few GNs and this does "feel" a little quicker than a GN. I think Motor Trend called out the GN at 14.2 second quarter and the TTA at 13.8 or 13.9 seconds. We all know these numbers are tossed aside with a little race gas and an adjustable wastegate.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by RossGN
TTA heads flowed a little better than the GN and it has the GNX intercooler (more fins per inch). Car was a few hundred pounds lighter with much better aerodynamics.. I've had a few GNs and this does "feel" a little quicker than a GN. I think Motor Trend called out the GN at 14.2 second quarter and the TTA at 13.8 or 13.9 seconds. We all know these numbers are tossed aside with a little race gas and an adjustable wastegate.
I'm thinking I should sell the GN and try to find myself a TTA. I think a little more research is called for.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM
RossGN
Racer

Two totally different cars....GN is definately more of a gentleman's musclecar...comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The TTA is stiffer suspension. You nearly have to "fall into" the seat much like a c4 corvette.

As cheap as they are, right now, maybe you need one of each?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Two totally different cars....GN is definately more of a gentleman's musclecar...comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The TTA is stiffer suspension. You nearly have to "fall into" the seat much like a c4 corvette.

As cheap as they are, right now, maybe you need one of each?
Are you kidding, I bought mine about 1.5 hours outside of town and seriously, 20 mins into the drive home I had to get out it was such a terrible ride.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Also, stock GN's came through with 12.5 pounds of boost; TTA's had 16.5 stock. GN was computer-limited from the factory to 126 MPH due to aerodynamics and brakes. TTA's had no such limitations. Gm said the top speed was"in excess of 150", and one was reported to hit 171 on the straight at Indy during Race Week in '89.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Love the Turbo T/A's! I've owned 2 turbo Buicks, an '87 GN and an '86 T-Type. The sight of that engine always brings back great memories. Best of luck with your sale at the auction!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

The Turbo V6 was rated at 250bhp@4400rpm and 340lb-ft of torque @ 2800rpm, but let’s be honest: that was only to make sure the 5.7L L98-equipped Trans Am GTA not look so bad. Real output was well over 300bhp and closer to 400lb-ft of torque, confirmed at 301rwhp on a GM dyno. The secret to the TTA’s (Turbo Trans Am’s) success: a Garrett Turbo and a hefty torque converter. Your grandmother could launch one like a pro: just brake-torque it to build boost and lock the torque converter, and then slip off the brake and make sure it’s pointed straight. With a curb weight of 3346 lbs, the TTA had a power/weight ratio of 13.4 lbs/bhp, which is quite powerful even by today’s standards.
http://www.carthrottle.com/retrospec...urbo-trans-am/
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Car and Driver at the time:

"When the intercooled version of Buick’s turbocharged Regal T-type hit the streets in 1986, we suddenly found ourselves in the strange position of being captivated by an obsolete mid-sized sedan. Old and crude, the potent T-type was nonetheless irresistible. Here was a car costing barely $15,000 that could run 0-60 mph in just 4.9 seconds. A later version, the GNX, was quicker still. Judging by the bidding frenzy that arose when the 500-unit run of GNXs went on sale, we weren’t the only ones seduced by Buick’s old-fashioned, big-horsepower performance.

Much as we enjoyed the Regals, however, we couldn’t help but wonder how the mighty Buick V6 turbo would feel in a modern, sophisticated car- a car with the taut handling and sleek aerodynamics to exploit the engine’s heroic output fully. Why not the Pontiac Trans Am? We wondered. Here was a car within the General Motors corporate umbrella that was not only considerably more contemporary than the Regal but that also needed some mechanical differentiation from its Chevrolet Camaro sibling. GM was apparently thinking the same thing, for now the Buick-turbo-engined Trans Am is a reality.

To celebrate the twentieth anniversary of its muscle car, Pontiac is producing a run of 1500 special Trans Ams powered by a modified version of the lusty Buick Turbo 3.8L V6. This limited production 20th Anniversary Trans Am has also been selected as the pace car for this year’s Indianapolis 500. Like the Corvette convertible that paced the 1986 race, the turbo-T/A pace car will be completely stock – except that it won’t have air conditioning and will wear special lighting equipment

Of course, the hoopla surrounding this car would be hollow indeed if the 20th Anniversary Trans Am wouldn’t outperform the old Regals. Rest assured that the turbo-T/A is equal to the accolades.....

Our test car scorched the drag strip with a 0-60-mph blast of 4.6 seconds and a quarter-mile run of 13.4 seconds at 101 mph. That means, as we go to press that the turbocharged Trans Am is the quickest 0-60 sprinter available in any US production-car showroom – at any price.

Achieving such stunning times doesn’t require high-rpm clutch drops or other test-track trickery. Just pop the automatic transmission into Drive, hold it with the brake while you raise the engine speed to 2100 rpm, release the brake, and floor the throttle. The turbo Trans Am instantly shoots forward like a runaway rocket sled. The roar from the under the hood builds as the boost gauge needle dances around the 16.5-psi mark. And the Turbo Hydramatic T200R4 four-speed automatic snaps off crisply at just over 5000 rpm – without a nanosecond of lost thrust. The rush is so strong that the turbo Trans Am reaches 130 mph in just 30.2 seconds.

You’ll recall that Buick engineers calibrated the engine control computers in the turbo Regals to douse the fires under the hood at 124 mph. The speed cutoff was necessary to keep the old Regals within their modest handling and braking limits. No such precautions are needed with the turbo Trans Am. Thanks to its performance-oriented platform, the turbo T/A can run without a speed limiter. Thus freed, the turbocharged 3.8-liter V6 is able to push the Trans Am all the way up to 153 mph. At last: straight-line performance that delivers on the promise of both the Trans Am and the Buick V6.

The engine providing the motivation for these fireworks is basically the same turbo V6 used in Buick’s Regals. The most significant change is a new set of cylinder heads, borrowed from the transverse-mounted version of the 3.8-liter six that GM uses in many of its front-drive cars. Pontiac adopted the new heads because they fit more easily within the narrow confines of the Trans Am’s engine compartment. In addition, the new heads provide better exhaust flow and have a more efficient combustion-chamber shape than their predecessors.

A new set of pistons match the cavities in the new heads to preserve the engine’s 8.0:1 compression ratio. The exhaust gases are collected from each cylinder head via short-runner, equal-length headers and are fed to an AiResearch T3 turbocharger mounted in the right-front corner of the engine compartment. The turbo blows through an intercooler mounted just behind the radiator to pressurize a tuned intake system fitted with sequential fuel injection. A knock sensor reduces the chance of engine meltdown by signaling the engine-management system to retard spark advance and reduce boost pressure whenever it senses uncontrolled combustion. (To minimize these power-reducing measures, Pontiac recommends premium fuel.)

Pontiac’s output claims for the V6 are exceedingly modest: 250 hp at 4400 rpm and 340 pound-feet of torque at 2800 rpm. Judging by our performance figures, we estimate that the engine produces closer to 300 hp.

Bigger front brakes are the only other important mechanical change on the 20th Anniversary Trans Am. Beefy 11.9-inch-diameter rotors with twin-piston calipers replace the 10.5-inch rotors and single-piston calipers used on all other Firebirds. The big brakes provide the additional fade resistance needed to cope with the turbo's penchant for high speed. Unfortunately, front-rear brake balance is poor. Out test car needed 217 feet to stop from 70 mph, largely because the rear discs locked up prematurely. Pedal feel was also disappointing.

The 20th Anniversary Trans Am shares its other underpinnings with the GTA and Formula Firebirds. For the suspension, that means struts in front, a precisely located live axle in the rear, and deflected-disc, gas-filled shocks and stiff coil springs at all four corners. A 36mm anti-roll bar is used up front; a 24mm bar is fitted to the rear. Traction is provided by P245/50ZR16 Goodyear Gatorbacks on 8.0-inch-wide aluminum wheels. The only non-standard suspension parts are slightly softer front springs, which are suitable because the blown V6 weighs about 100 pounds less than the V8 engines normally fitted to Trans Ams.

The turbo T/A’s suspension works superbly on smooth surfaces. The car steers precisely and adheres to the road with a vein-popping 0.88g of grip. Best of all, the T/A is wonderfully stable at the limit - although the engine’s surgy power delivery can make fine adjustments difficult. There’s just enough understeer to instill confidence, but you can easily kick the tail out by flicking the wheel or stepping into the boost.

Unfortunately, the turbo Trans Am loses its manners when the road gets rough. There seems to be a mismatch between the springs and the shock absorbers – a mismatch that keeps the Trans Am from ever settling down and feeling planted. Big bumps bottom the rear suspension easily – causing the car to bounce and lose traction when you’re cornering hard.

Small bumps can be almost as irritating. Tar strips and misaligned pavement slabs pound through the suspension so brutally that you’d swear the tires were made of solid rubber. Fender clearance is also on the tight side; both the front and rear tires occasionally rub against the bodywork in normal driving. All in all, the old turbocharged Regals were infinitely more comfortable for relaxed cruising.

The nonabsorbent ride would be less bothersome if the anniversary Trans Am were tight and solid. But every bump summons another in a seemingly endless repertoire of creaks, groans, squeaks, and rattles. Admittedly, our test car was at a disadvantage – being equipped with the optional T-top removable roof panels – but even solid-roofed Firebirds suffer from this unbuttoned feeling. All 20th Anniversary Trans Ams are being built in a special production facility, where an additional quality-control stage attempts to tighten up the car as much as possible. But there’s only so much that can be done with the Firebird’s basic structure.

If you’re beginning to get the idea that the turbo Trans Am has more in common with a 1965 GTO than with a modern sports car, you’re right. The T/As remarkable acceleration and amazing handling comes more from brute muscle and huge, sticky tires than from finesse and refined technology. The 20th Anniversary Trans Am is a muscle car from the traditional mold.

Inside, the turbo T/A displays a mixture of modern and old. The basic combination of a big exterior and a small interior harks back to the inefficient days of yesteryear, while the instrument layout, the modern seats, and the excellent driving position seem fully up-to-date.

Included as standard equipment is a set of futuristic-looking sport seats, which offer power lumber and side-bolster adjustments – as well as manual controls for headrest position, thigh supports, and front height. Equally contemporary are the radio controls in the steering wheel hub, which work well without interfering with your hand positions on the wheel.

All 20th Anniversary Trans Ams come in white with tan interiors. Further identification is provided by “Turbo Trans Am” badges on both front fenders, Indianapolis logos on both rocker panels, cloisonné "20th Anniversary Trans Am" insignias on the nose and both C-pillars, a new filler panel between the taillights, and quad tailpipes. In addition, each car comes with a set of "Official Pace Car" decals that the owner can mount on the doors, if desired.

Clearly, the 20th Anniversary Trans Am is not for fans of delicate, high-winding automotive works of art. This is a car for muscle-car mavens, pure and simple. And that’s not such a bad thing, because those old enough to have had firsthand experience with the muscle cars of yore are likely to be the only ones who have the $31,198 needed to acquire a 20th Anniversary T/A. That’s about $9,000 more than a comparably equipped Trans Am GTA with the 5.7-liter V8.

Many of you may find that a ridiculous sum for what is essentially an engine option and some added logos. And we tend to agree. But there seem to be plenty of buyers who are less concerned with refinement or cost than they are with pavement-wrinkling performance. Buick had absolutely no trouble selling all the GNXs it could build – mostly because they delivered old-time horsepower as few modern cars can.

We’re willing to bet that Pontiac won’t be holding any muscle car clearance sales, either."

Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2 + 2 passenger, 3-door coupe

Price as tested:.......... $31,198

Options on test car: base Pontiac 20th Anniversary Trans Am - $29,839, T-top roof - $920, freight - $439

Standard accessories: power steering, windows, and locks, A./C, cruise control, tilt steering, rear defroster

Sound system: Delco-GM AM/FM-stereo radio/cassette with graphic equalizer, 4 speakers

ENGINE

Type:.......... turbocharged/intercooled V6, cast iron block and heads
Bore x stroke:.......... 3.80 x 3.40 in. (96.5 x 86.4 mm)
Displacement:.......... 3791 cc (236 cu in.)
Compression ratio:.......... 8.0:1
Engine control system:.......... GM electronic with port EFI
Valvetrain:.......... OHV, 2 Valves/cylinder
Emissions control:.......... 3-way catalytic converter, feedback fuel-air ratio control, EGR,
Turbocharger:.......... AiResearch T3
Wastegate:.......... integral
Maximum boost pressure:.......... 16.5 psi
Power (SAE net):.......... 250 hp @ 4400 rpm
Torque (SAE net):.......... 340 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm
Redline:.......... 5250 rpm

DRIVETRAIN

Transmission:.......... 4-sp. automatic w/lockup converter
Transmission ratios:.......... (1st) 2.74:1
(2nd) 1.57:1
(3rd) 1.00:1
(4th) 0.67:1
Axle ratio:.......... 3.27:1, limited-slip

DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES

Wheelbase:.......... 101.0 in.
Track, f/r:.......... 60.7/61.6 in.
Length:.......... 191.6 in.
Width:.......... 72.4 in.
Height:.......... 50.0 in.
Frontal area:.......... 21.1 sq. ft.
Ground clearance:.......... 4.5 in.
Curb weight:.......... 3468 lb
Weight distribution, f/r:.......... 55.4/44.6%
Fuel capacity:.......... 18.0 gal
Oil capacity:.......... 6.4 qt.
Water capacity:.......... 17.2 qt.
Trunk space:.......... 5.8 (+ 9.1) cubic ft.

CHASSIS/BODY

Type:.......... unit construction w/ one rubber isolated crossmember
Body material:.......... welded steel stampings

INTERIOR

SAE volume, Front seats:.......... 53 cu. ft.
Rear seats:.......... 32 cu. ft.
Trunk space:.......... 12 cu. ft.
Front seats:......... bucket
Seat adjustments:.......... fore, aft, seatback angle, front height, lumbar support, upper side bolsters, thigh support
General comfort:.......... Good
Fore-and-aft support:.......... Good
Lateral support:.......... Good

SUSPENSION

Front:.......... independent strut located by control arm, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear:.......... rigid axle located by 2 trailing links and torque arm, Panhard rod, coil springs, anti-roll bar

STEERING

Type:.......... recirculating ball, power-assisted
Turns lock-to-lock:.......... 2.3
Turning circle, curb-to-curb:.......... 32.6 ft.

BRAKES

Front:......... 11.9 x 1.0-in. vented discs
Rear:.......... 11.7 x 0.8-in. vented discs
Power assist:......... vacuum

WHEELS & TIRES

Wheel size:.......... 8.0 x 16 in.
Wheel type:.......... cast aluminum
Tires:.......... Goodyear Eagle ZR50, P245/50ZR-16 Test inflation pressures, F/R:.......... 30/30 psi

ACCELERATION

0-30 mph:.......... 1.7 sec.
0-40 mph:.......... 2.5 sec.
0-50 mph:.......... 3.4 sec.
0-60 mph:.......... 4.6 sec.
0-70 mph:.......... 6.1 sec.
0-80 mph:.......... 7.9 sec.
0-90 mph:.......... 10.2 sec.
0-100 mph:.......... 13.0 sec.
0-110 mph:.......... 17.1 sec.
0-120 mph:.......... 22.3 sec.
0-130 mph:.......... 30.2 sec.
Top gear passing time, 30-50 mph:.......... 2.9 sec.
Top gear passing time, 50-70 mph:.......... 3.6 sec.
Standing quarter-mile:.......... 13.4 sec. @ 101 mph
Top speed:......... 153 mph

BRAKING

70-0 mph @ impending lockup:......... 217 ft.
Modulation:.......... fair
Fade:.......... none
Front-rear balance:.......... poor

HANDLING

Roadholding, 300-ft-diameter skidpad:.......... 0.88g
Understeer:.......... moderate

COAST DOWN MEASUREMENTS

Road horsepower @ 30 mph:.......... 6 hp
Road horsepower @ 50 mph:.......... 16 hp
Road horsepower @ 70 mph:.......... 34 hp

FUEL ECONOMY

EPA city driving;.......... 16 mpg