Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2013 GT500 New 1/4 Mile Record

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
It's no secret the Mustang's stock bottom end is forged. So simply turning up the boost is easy to make the HP required to run these numbers. Can it be done solely with the stock blower, not sure. In stock form the car makes 15psi. The TVS 2300 may be efficient enough to turn up to 21psi or so to do it.

So that being said, what mods are done to the car? If it's simply a pulley, tune and tires to run 9.8 @ 145, that's super impressive! Again, the car would need to make 750+RWHP to run these numbers which is far from stock but cool none the less.
I know for a fact, TVS 2.3 is in it's sweet spot at 15-16lbs...........and where is the 2013 boost.........15lbs. Bingo
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
"Much" faster?
The 2013 GT500 is likely faster than a stock C6 Z06 yes, but by leaps and bounds/astronomical amounts as you seem to imply?

And you know this how exactly?
The car has been out less than two weeks and there are like 50 of them on the road at this point, how do we know what issues might pop up at 5k or 20k miles?
I agree that those issues likely WON'T happen as it's a strong/forged motor but please don't throw unsubstantiated statements around as if they're pure fact, it can really destroy your credibility.

R

Points noted.
But now in all fairness, when the 2013 GT500s (stock or modded) start hitting those same "fast tracks" in low DA conditions that you speak of anrd also putting up great numbers I suppose everyone will then be free to rrevisit this post and also pull out the same damn crybaby excuses and discrediting that you're doing right now?
The ET/MPH listed on the time slip are the ET/MPH that the car ran, period.

The 2013 Mustang GT500 as well as the Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are INCREDIBLY fast cars, maybe it's best to just leave it at that?
r
I only mentioned MIR tracks, not to discredit the times were achieved there, only to inform people not as experienced, that when they buy a Z06 they aren't buying a common coin 10 second car.

Anyone with knowledge know that Mir is the fastest track in the nation, and the times achieved there are not you typical times, I don't discredit those times at all, but I know fully that those times are not typical, as the people who run them would like you to believe.

Comparing a 133 trap on a forced induction car, near perfect conditions, cannot be compared to a car doing 129 in less than perfect conditions, in 80 degree heat.

I say put both cars at the same track and let it rip

As far as fords engines, I was a student at uti, and took ford specific, they have their own state of the art building and have 1st hand seen how these motors are put together, the previous Gt500 engines were bullet proof, and this one has taken it a couple steps higher.

As far as LS7 heads having a major design flaw, you would have to have a micrometer, along with years of knowledge from people who design heads, such as AFR to understand.( and I still don't get all of it)

Yes I agree all these new cars are monsters, I was an owner an 06Z for over a year, and have access and 100's of hours in the ZR1, as well as every gen viper.
I got rid of the Z mainly because of all the engines I've personal seen blow, also because i love modding and wanted to go Forced induction, the LS7 is not the platform to supercharge.
I have one of the best stock bottomed end cars ever built, in my 99 viper, forged steel from the crank to pistons( in 2000 pistons were changed to cast)

Also the forged pistons of today's car are not as strong as the viper and supra's forged of old, this is where manufacturers fool people, yes the pistons are forged in these new cars( sans ls7/ls3) but they pistons that are forged are made up of aluminum , silica etc.

Regardless the v10 loved big shots of spray, but I got tired of filling up bottles bought the polished novi 2000 kit, spared no expense in the fuel system custom made at racing solutions( who mainly does vipers, but is starting vettes) , roped with upgrades from Doug levin, big front mount, and upgraded belt tensioner, ati super damper, roe racing crank pin kit, injector dynamics jessel rockers/ springs etc ....the whole 9 yards
The gen 2 viper that is putting over 900rwhp on pump gas and and a pro charged boss with 600 rwhp, the ZR1 is pretty darn close to the boss, which is impressive, having cars with high power makes me appreciate how quick a very basic bolt-on zr1 can do, the Z06 in all honesty Feels weak compared to the ZR1, it's missing all that low end tq, comes alive at 4k all the way to 7k but I was always felt the car was on the brink of something bad at 7k, words of wisdom, shift at 68 not 7, upgrade the rockers and put strong one piece pushrods in, still can't believe they put that garbage in a 500 hp car.

Beter yet put a set of 225 afr heads, use the upgrade options like stronger springs, and rocker arm studs( they use arp) I believe the beefy springs and rocker studs come standad on the 225's

Last edited by NytmereZ; 06-02-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by palindrome1H
Obviously their times around the ring were not impressive/what they hoped for. Otherwise they would be bragging. Ford confirmed it did run the ring. Not knocking the GT500. I think I may add one to the stable for poop and giggles.
I do not have a dog in this fight but I did see the video of the new Shelby going around the ring. It was done on a rainy day and that is the reason why there is nothing being posted from it.

Have there been other rounds around the Ring on dry days? You would think that if they can have the time to get one out on a rainy day they would find the time to get one out on a dry day.

Maybe getting a reservation on the ring is not the easiest thing in the world.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM
OnTarget1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive!

Cant wait to see the "overhaul" Ford has on the drawing board.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by paydirt
For the price, this is amazing. No point in comparing the ZR1 to the GT500 when they are in two COMPLETELY different price ranges.

Hopefully have one of these in my stable sometime in the near future next to the vette
100% on all aspects to the above!

my C6 vette made 1437rwhp and would love to have one in addition!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I do not have a dog in this fight but I did see the video of the new Shelby going around the ring. It was done on a rainy day and that is the reason why there is nothing being posted from it.

Have there been other rounds around the Ring on dry days? You would think that if they can have the time to get one out on a rainy day they would find the time to get one out on a dry day.

Maybe getting a reservation on the ring is not the easiest thing in the world.
This car wasn't built for the ring, it's purpose is a dragstrip monster.

Nobody buys a car because it did well at the ring , people who argue ring times( Viper is still king) don't even race cars, they just read magazines.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

If your post is gone................your way off topic and you attack other folks.............keep it on topic, which is a FORD 2013 GT500 New 1/4 Mile Record. Those that have had time off in the past would be wise to Heed the warning, all others should heed as well..............
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I know some people running 10s in a Dodge Neon SRT4...so thats great and all. But stock seems unimpressive to me....the times here show what it is running stock..

http://www.insideline.com/ford/shelb...full-test.html

I really was honestly considering this car with 4 seats cause I thought it would be give the z06 a run for its money ....especially with 662 HP??...Im hoping this is just horrible driving. Cause my stock 2008 manual base model Vette can essentially do this...

Last edited by Cor430vette; 06-05-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I know some people running 10s in a Dodge Neon SRT4...so thats great and all. But stock seems unimpressive to me....the times here show what it is running stock..

http://www.insideline.com/ford/shelb...full-test.html

I really was honestly considering this car with 4 seats cause I thought it would be give the z06 a run for its money ....especially with 662 HP??...Im hoping this is just horrible driving. Cause my stock 2008 manual base model Vette can essentially do this...
Read what you want about those fantastic magazine drivers, people have gone 11.4 bone stock on this car already. Wait until Evan Smith gets in one, he might go 10s bone stock
Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio1988
Wait until Evan Smith gets in one
Umm, he already did.

he might go 10s bone stock
Not quite :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QneTh4nNm7M
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, he already did.

Not quite :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QneTh4nNm7M
Lol well then, I stand corrected. Give it some time, Jamie didn't run 10s in his Z06 his first two passes did he?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Lol well then, I stand corrected. Give it some time, Jamie didn't run 10s in his Z06 his first two passes did he?
Very true, by late December we WILL see a much lower ET/higher MPH out of a bone stock 2013 GT500, be it with Evan Smith driving or another 'well versed' driver.
My prediction for an all out best pure stock pass still stands at 11.3s/11.2s at over 130mph in good air at a well prepped track. 10.8s/maybe 10.7s with just a rear tire swap.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true, by late December we WILL see a much lower ET/higher MPH out of a bone stock 2013 GT500, be it with Evan Smith driving or another 'well versed' driver.
My prediction for an all out best pure stock pass still stands at 11.3s/11.2s at over 130mph in good air at a well prepped track. 10.8s/maybe 10.7s with just a rear tire swap.
Is the new Shelby available with an automatic?

I personally prefer manual but hard to deny the successes of automatic transmissions in drag racing.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Remember that 10s have only happened once for a bone stock Z06 and I believe it was only one run. No one has been able to repeat it yet (that we know of ) but some have come very close. The GT500 will have to be able to pull some 1.7X 60' foot times in great weather to hope to pull off stock 10s.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

So we have Evan Smith running a n 11.8 1/4 in the 2013 GT500 which is .1 and .3 slower then Motor Trend and Car and Driver 1/4 mile times in a 2006 Z06.

I think the new GT500 is a great car but seems it may have been way over hyped. All of the comparisons to the Corvette and so far it's IMO kind of falling flat.

You have a video trying to hit 200mph on a closed track and they fell short. However, there's a youtube vidoe of the ZR1 hitting 200 on the autobahn in traffic.

Then we have these 1/4 miles times of 11.9 and 11.8 which kicks the crap out of the ZL1 but then again Ford hasn't released the GT 500 ring times.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Is the new Shelby available with an automatic?
No, a manual transmission (with three pedals on the floor ) is the only one available.
But if a strong enough automatic was available in them right now I'd probably be buying a used one in around 5 years.

Originally Posted by racerns
Remember that 10s have only happened once for a bone stock Z06 and I believe it was only one run. No one has been able to repeat it yet (that we know of ) but some have come very close.
True, 11.02 and 11.17 are the next quickest ones.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
I think the new GT500 is a great car but seems it may have been way over hyped. All of the comparisons to the Corvette and so far it's IMO kind of falling flat.

You have a video trying to hit 200mph on a closed track and they fell short. However, there's a youtube vidoe of the ZR1 hitting 200 on the autobahn in traffic.
The funny thing was this car wasn't meant to compete with the vette. It was meant to compete with the ZL1 which can't even come close so most people now compare it to the vette.

Motor trend hit 196 in 100 degree heat with a heat soaked engine seems legit to me.

It'll do 200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFPL3sD00o

Tuned, but otherwise bone stock gt500 673whp/ 634wtq

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 GT500 New 1/4 Mile Record

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

At 65K to 70k after just a couple of options and track package, along with 662 hp and all the ford mullet owners screaming Vette killer..etc.... I dont know why it shouldnt be compared to the Vette especially in a corvette forum...LOL
Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
So we have Evan Smith running a n 11.8 1/4 in the 2013 GT500 which is .1 and .3 slower then Motor Trend and Car and Driver 1/4 mile times in a 2006 Z06.

Then we have these 1/4 miles times of 11.9 and 11.8 which kicks the crap out of the ZL1 but then again Ford hasn't released the GT 500 ring times.
You have Evan Smith running those times at Atlanta where there were tons of magazine editors beating on heat soaked cars all day. The car has already trapped 129 mph in other tests and has been 11.4 bone stock so far that I know of.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by young grasshopper
The funny thing was this car wasn't meant to compete with the vette. It was meant to compete with the ZL1 which can't even come close so most people now compare it to the vette.

Motor trend hit 196 in 100 degree heat with a heat soaked engine seems legit to me.

It'll do 200 under ideal conditions
Your right it doesn't compete against the Vette but that hasn't stopped people on this forum form comparing it to the Z06 or the ZR1.

As for the ZL1, sure the GT 500 has it beat on the drag trip but again where are the GT500 ring times. Why in the world would you go through the expense of taking the badest ever Mustang to the Nurburgring and not publish the lap times.

Last edited by Vette_Minded; 06-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 New 1/4 Mile Record