Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Price gap Corvette vs, 2013 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Price gap Corvette vs, 2013 Mustang

Anyone else shocked at the huge difference? I know they are not totally comparable vehicles, but the fun factor is nearly identical as far as fun to drive, fun to mod, etc. $60-65k for a nicely equipped C6, $40-48k for a loaded Mustang GT, or a Boss 302...and the options on the new Mustang are fantastic....such as the Track Pack, glass roof, side exhaust, etc. I've read all the reviews and concluded that 2013 Stang is a bargain, do you agree?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Just got rid of my 09 ZO6. Will never buy another GM beacuse of the bailout.

My 2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 is due in 5/11. From what I've read it's a great car for the twisties and pretty quick straight line as well.

Ford has come up with a real winner bringing back the Boss. the 13's will be the last year for the Boss model as well. The fit and finish in and out smokes my last Z.

Love the retro look and color.

$45,465.00 was MSRP as that's what I paid. I'm seeing ADMIN adjustments anywhere from $5-30K over MSRP.

Great bang for the buck IMO.

I've owned 3 Vettes over the years.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Anyone else shocked at the huge difference? ...I've read all the reviews and concluded that 2013 Stang is a bargain, do you agree?
Yes, the Mustang is a bargain, and looking at MSRPs is shocking, but the difference isn't so huge when you actually go try to buy these cars. The Mustang is hot and MSRP is a good deal; a C6 off the lot can be had for thousands off the sticker without breaking a sweat.

Of course, when C7 rolls in, it'll be the hot tamale and the last-year-of-the-cycle Mustang will be discounted a bit, and then you really better hope the wife doesn't like Mustangs

I'm excited to see what the next-generation pony is like.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by jersey jay

My 2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 is due in 5/11. From what I've read it's a great car for the twisties and pretty quick straight line as well.

Ford has come up with a real winner bringing back the Boss. the 13's will be the last year for the Boss model as well. The fit and finish in and out smokes my last Z.

Love the retro look and color.

$45,465.00 was MSRP as that's what I paid. I'm seeing ADMIN adjustments anywhere from $5-30K over MSRP.

Great bang for the buck IMO.

I've owned 3 Vettes over the years.
wow, sounds killer...what color stripes with the Grabber Blue? Did your dealer give you crap about his allocation? I've been to two dealers here in Michigan and they aren't very positive on me getting what I want...very disappointing, yet I see awesome 302s on ebay at hick towns all over the country.... If I decide to make the plunge I think I'll have to make an out of town deal... I've never cared much for white cars, but that Boss in performance white looks fantastic, and is stealth enough to allow playing around in traffic. Love to see pics of yours when you get it...when is it due?

Jerry
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

wow, sounds killer...what color stripes with the Grabber Blue? Did your dealer give you crap about his allocation? I've been to two dealers here in Michigan and they aren't very positive on me getting what I want...very disappointing, yet I see awesome 302s on ebay at hick towns all over the country.... If I decide to make the plunge I think I'll have to make an out of town deal... I've never cared much for white cars, but that Boss in performance white looks fantastic, and is stealth enough to allow playing around in traffic. Love to see pics of yours when you get it...when is it due?

Jerry
ETA is 5/11, stripes are black. Had a green one on order. Dealer told me 8-10 weeks. I then found out that their allocation for the build was Nov. so I cancelled. They had an allocation for 2 of which one was sold and delivered already. I lucked out and found a dealer that had a blue one on order for months. Car is built, just awaiting to be transported out of area 51 which I was told is the black hole.

A number of them for sale on the net if you want to pay $5-30K over MSRP. I'm not one of those folks.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jinx
Yes, the Mustang is a bargain, and looking at MSRPs is shocking, but the difference isn't so huge when you actually go try to buy these cars. The Mustang is hot and MSRP is a good deal; a C6 off the lot can be had for thousands off the sticker without breaking a sweat.

Of course, when C7 rolls in, it'll be the hot tamale and the last-year-of-the-cycle Mustang will be discounted a bit, and then you really better hope the wife doesn't like Mustangs

I'm excited to see what the next-generation pony is like.
That's true. Luckily, I get A plan pricing (Ford retiree 2% below dealer cost) on the Mustang which is about the same discount as what we see on the C6s, so in my case, the difference is still a lot of cash. I also forgot to mention, I've been looking at the prices on various mods. There is no doubt the costs are much less on items such as wheels, exhaust, headers, etc on the Stang vs, the Vette. Call me cheap, but this is a major factor in my decision for my next ride. My C5 is 15 years old, and I am really on the fence as to what to do next....it is currently in the shop for a dead PCM. The part is no longer made by GM or Delco, and we are searching for a rebuilt one. I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg on things going seriously wrong on these older C5s.... Would love to be driving a fun car again that has a warranty!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Agreed ! Mustang's are buck for buck the best fun factor car out there.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

While the GTs are nice cars, C6s are going for $11,000 below MSRP out here. That'd put one at about the same price as the Mustang. If you compare the performance, I think you'll find that the much-lighter C6 is on top. For example, the 2008 C6 had a VIR time that was over 1.5 seconds quicker than the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Last edited by Dave68; 05-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

And you're a moderator on a Corvette website?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

i paid 41k for my 2LT coupe back in 2009, 436 horsepower in cyber gray with an A6 paddle shift tranny, chrome wheels, and removable roof.

I think thats more bang for the buck than any Mustang. And dont get me wrong, im not one of the "Ford Vs Chevy" guys anymore like i was back in my Camaro days. I really dig the Mustangs its just i love my Vette much much more.

For the people who cite the bailout as a reason not to buy GM/Chevy/Corvette, well, WE who live in America and pay taxes are responsible as well. Are YOU going to quit your job and move out of the country in further protest?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Will never buy another GM beacuse of the bailout.
That is a crazy reason for not buying a GM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Gary K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a ton of different cars, including C4 and C5 vettes (one day I'll try out a C6). My current 2012 Mustang is a great car. You can't really compare the Mustangs to the Corvettes directly, as they're quite different types of cars. But the Mustang with the Coyote engine is a helluva ride. I can nitpick any car, but really my main complaint on the Mustang is that I can't buy it without a warranty and mod it without restraint.

I have to say I also don't think I'd buy a new GM product, and I feel like I shouldn't even buy any used GM products, because of the bailout.

ETA: If you're not worried about leather interior or bells 'n whistles, you can get a base Mustang GT for a really good price...at least you can on '12 models if you find any. I bought mine when there were plenty still sitting on lots and coming in to the dealers, but still it really was an amazing deal. For me, it most definitely is a huge bang for the buck.

Last edited by Gary K; 05-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else shocked at the huge difference? I know they are not totally comparable vehicles, but the fun factor is nearly identical as far as fun to drive, fun to mod, etc. $60-65k for a nicely equipped C6, $40-48k for a loaded Mustang GT, or a Boss 302...and the options on the new Mustang are fantastic....such as the Track Pack, glass roof, side exhaust, etc. I've read all the reviews and concluded that 2013 Stang is a bargain, do you agree?
Not really sure what your point is. You're comparing a purpose built low volume sports car to a high volume platform sharing coupe. Of course there is a huge price gap. There always has been a big price gap and Mustangs have always had a huge following of people that enjoy them and love to drive and mod them. Is the Mustang a 'bargain'? I hope so that's the entire purpose of it's existence.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rbartick
That is a crazy reason for not buying a GM.
There are situations that make sense....if you owned GM preferred stock for the nice yield, you lost it all....horrible outcome for those of us who invested in what should have been a stable, dependable investment....reason enough to turn your back on GM forever IMHO.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are situations that make sense....if you owned GM preferred stock for the nice yield, you lost it all....horrible outcome for those of us who invested in what should have been a stable, dependable investment....reason enough to turn your back on GM forever IMHO.
There are alot of home owerns thinking the same thing. There are no sure bets.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Gary K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
There are alot of home owerns thinking the same thing. There are no sure bets.
Apples and oranges. While "investments" don't always make money, having gov change the rules in the middle of the game is BS.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Lost it all because you never cut your losses when things were getting progressively worse and bankruptcy was looking like an eventuality?

Wasn't GM a company struggling to find its way for a decade before the economy went south? If you looked at the actual product, it was clear that they were vulnerable. How long had they been losing market share, building generally-second-rate product, struggling with labor costs? If you owned shares in this company, you were taking a risk.

But grudges are entirely emotional responses, and feelings are never wrong, so go ahead and hold the grudge, but don't forget the grudge hurts its holder too.

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To Price gap Corvette vs, 2013 Mustang

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Lost it all because you never cut your losses when things were getting progressively worse and bankruptcy was looking like an eventuality?

Wasn't GM a company struggling to find its way for a decade before the economy went south? If you looked at the actual product, it was clear that they were vulnerable. How long had they been losing market share, building generally-second-rate product, struggling with labor costs? If you owned shares in this company, you were taking a risk.

But grudges are entirely emotional responses, and feelings are never wrong, so go ahead and hold the grudge, but don't forget the grudge hurts its holder too.

.Jinx
Every person, every single one, who still dislikes GM because of the government's decision to bail them out, should read your post. Thumbs WAY up.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dave68
While the GTs are nice cars, C6s are going for $11,000 below MSRP out here. That'd put one at about the same price as the Mustang. If you compare the performance, I think you'll find that the much-lighter C6 is on top. For example, the 2008 C6 had a VIR time that was over 1.5 seconds quicker than the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca.
Over all the Vette slightly quicker on courses with long straights...especially the GS and above.
As to an 08 Coupe- nope.
Tested 4 yrs apart, different drivers, different weather conditions, comparison worthless.

Owner here: 2011 GS, 2012 Boss
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Over all the Vette slightly quicker on courses with long straights...especially the GS and above.
As to an 08 Coupe- nope.
Tested 4 yrs apart, different drivers, different weather conditions, comparison worthless.

Owner here: 2011 GS, 2012 Boss
The gs would be no faster then a regular coupe in a straight line on any given day, if not slower...

Quick Reply: Price gap Corvette vs, 2013 Mustang