Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

retirement car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
the wife told me... I think I have to go along with her wishes... Her only stipulation is that it has to have an auto...
Maybe as a retirement present she could take your ***** out of her purse and let you borrow them for a while.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by LDB
A few posts earlier, I argued that while CTSV mileage is a weak point, it is more than counterbalanced by the car’s many strong points. Since then, several posts have said in essence, “screw the mileage and the planet”. Come on guys, that’s a pretty crappy attitude. Let’s admit that mileage is indeed CTSV’s weakest point. To illustrate that fact, the Mercedes CLS AMG, which has essentially the same horsepower and performance as CTSV, but uses more efficient turbocharging rather than supercharging, and has other gas saving goodies like direct injection, gets 16/25 city/highway mpg versus the 12/18 of the comparable CTSV automatic or 14/19 of the CTSV manual. So CTSV obviously has plenty of room to improve mileage without sacrificing power and performance. I really like my CTSV, but like all cars, it has weak points. Let's admit that mileage is by far the CTSV’s weakest, thus keeping the pressure on GM to improve it. Mercedes CLS AMG is clearly the class leader in the mileage category.
Originally Posted by Dave68
Well said!
I think the whole point of my earlier posts was that the CTS-V could make a good retirement car (a car that is driven for fun and not daily commutes to/from work). I was also just pointing out that after adding 125 RWHP to the car it still got 18 MPG. I'm retired Navy and this is a great retirement car for me and I just figured that the OP may enjoy at least test driving one!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Maybe as a retirement present she could take your ***** out of her purse and let you borrow them for a while.
Ummm, she is paying for the car from her 401k. Mabey you can boss your significant other around Tarzan, I don`t work like that.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Ummm, she is paying for the car from her 401k. Mabey you can boss your significant other around Tarzan, I don`t work like that.
If "Jane" was buying me a retirement car I'm pretty sure her primary stipulation would be that it's the car I really want. That's how my wife rolls.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

If "Jane" was buying me a retirement car I'm pretty sure her primary stipulation would be that it's the car I really want. That's how my wife rolls.
I`m happy for you. I never look a gift horse in the mouth. If its free, its for me.

a true quote from Jeff Allen "Happy wife, Happy life"

Last edited by kenv; 01-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

a true quote from Jeff Allen "Happy wife, Happy life"
Perhaps, but in the words of the philosopher S.D. Dog: "keep your pimp hand strong". Verily.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Perhaps, but in the words of the philosopher S.D. Dog: "keep your pimp hand strong". Verily.
Not sure if your just doing a bit of ball busting in good fun or your serious...... if your serious then your a bit out of line. I don't think the OP has his "***** in his wife's purse". If she is indeed helping pay for it then she is probably entitled to a bit of feedback on the prospective purchase. Marriage is a partnership not a dictatorship (ie: "keep your pimp hand strong") my wife and I still buy what we want for ourselves but we do discuss it first (on big purchases) and give each other some input. I have my Z06 and if I wanted to purchase something impractical for a DD I would expect to get some negative feedback from her (and rightfully so) since we do basically both drive our DD cars...... she takes the train into the city and we live walking distance to it so all three cars are typically available to me 90+% of the time. My point being is.... give the guy a break, if you choose to rule your house with an iron fist and would rather be feared than loved then more power to you, if your looking for a marriage that is going to last where your parter is going to be your best friend as well as your wife then you may want to get your thinking more in line with the OP
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Not sure if your just doing a bit of ball busting in good fun or your serious...... if your serious then your a bit out of line. I don't think the OP has his "***** in his wife's purse". If she is indeed helping pay for it then she is probably entitled to a bit of feedback on the prospective purchase. Marriage is a partnership not a dictatorship (ie: "keep your pimp hand strong") my wife and I still buy what we want for ourselves but we do discuss it first (on big purchases) and give each other some input. I have my Z06 and if I wanted to purchase something impractical for a DD I would expect to get some negative feedback from her (and rightfully so) since we do basically both drive our DD cars...... she takes the train into the city and we live walking distance to it so all three cars are typically available to me 90+% of the time. My point being is.... give the guy a break, if you choose to rule your house with an iron fist and would rather be feared than loved then more power to you, if your looking for a marriage that is going to last where your parter is going to be your best friend as well as your wife then you may want to get your thinking more in line with the OP
I was just busting stones.

On the other hand, when it comes to picking out a car to enjoy during retirement, I can assure you my wife's primary concern will be me getting exactly the car I want. When it comes to picking vehicles (and other aspects of life) her concern is my enjoyment, just as my concern is hers. As such, our marriage is doing just fine.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

I was just busting stones.

On the other hand, when it comes to picking out a car to enjoy during retirement, I can assure you my wife's primary concern will be me getting exactly the car I want. When it comes to picking vehicles (and other aspects of life) her concern is my enjoyment, just as my concern is hers. As such, our marriage is doing just fine.
I figured you were just bustin stones, sounds like you have a great wife as well.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MVR 155
You folks may not know this but MRV is a marriage counselor.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Not even close Dave Just have found over the years that working as a team instead of individuals seems to get more acomplished on all levels.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

That's true for businesses, most sports, and even at school.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Who is MRV?

Oh you mean MVR 155 (my Chicago gear head buddy Mike)?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
A few posts earlier, I argued that while CTSV mileage is a weak point, it is more than counterbalanced by the car’s many strong points. Since then, several posts have said in essence, “screw the mileage and the planet”. Come on guys, that’s a pretty crappy attitude. Let’s admit that mileage is indeed CTSV’s weakest point. To illustrate that fact, the Mercedes CLS AMG, which has essentially the same horsepower and performance as CTSV, but uses more efficient turbocharging rather than supercharging, and has other gas saving goodies like direct injection, gets 16/25 city/highway mpg versus the 12/18 of the comparable CTSV automatic or 14/19 of the CTSV manual. So CTSV obviously has plenty of room to improve mileage without sacrificing power and performance. I really like my CTSV, but like all cars, it has weak points. Let's admit that mileage is by far the CTSV’s weakest, thus keeping the pressure on GM to improve it. Mercedes CLS AMG is clearly the class leader in the mileage category.
CTS-V Sedan has better suspension than Challenger SRT-8?
CTS-V Sedan more comfortable riding that Challenger SRT-8?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies. Another reason I was thinking of the Challenger is because of the retro thing. My first new muscle car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner in bright red, with the 383, stick & dog dish hub caps with red line tires. I loved that car. I had to get rid of it because my wife at the time (#1 of 3 ) did not like it because it had no a/c & was a stick.
I test drove a 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 and found it to be a comfortable riding quiet car. Adult muscle car?
Nice n big and safe.
The dampening suspension forgot what Dodge calls it?
You can feel the difference between the two settings.
Car stayed straight in rain when traction control kicked in accelerating in 2nd gear.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by noel48
I traded my '09 Challenger SRT8 for a CTS coupe.Didn't need the Hemi power with premium gas and they're all over the place here.I also got tired of the whiny auto trans that the dealer said was normal.
So in the area of comfort, smooth riding, noise and driving on these beat up roads which car did a better job of handling the imperfections in road??

Mustang's rear end likes to jump up when hitting bumps. Must be that solid live rear axle (suspension)

Get notified of new replies

To retirement car

Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Based on your original post (OP) and all the feedback throughout this thread this is a no brainer to me:

2008-11 Dodge HEMI Challenger RT or SRT8, can be had all day long for less than $30K, especially the RTs, and make for an incredible car when it comes to looks, performance, cool factor, comfort, luxury, uniquess, many , and the ultimate modern All American Luxury Muscle Car with back seat.

I bought my first edition 2008 SRT8 Hemi Challenger over a yer ago, yes the first year (2008) are numbered cars, with only 2,200 miles on it, (now has 9,400 miles on it) and I daily drive it, and the car is SIMPLY a DREAM and I could not recommend it more. Mine came perfectly modded with some bolt ons, show bling engine bay, and running high 12s in the 1/4 mile, all while handling great in Chicago witner with Blizzak snow tires on it.

Easy decsion OP, based upon your posts, feedback, and my real life experience, with my Hemi Challenger SRT8 (RTs are almost just as fast)!
I don't think I would want to buy a used Challenger as I would be concerned about car that was beaten up on drag strip.
The new ones have a meter that measures your 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, 1/8 mile times braking distance, and G-force if that is an indicator of things to come.
I don't know if used ones have same type of instrumentation.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
Another vote for the CTS-V!! A perfect mix of luxury and performance!! After you take a test drive in the Challenger, go ahead and take a V for a spin!!! Be warned.....a test drive in a V will lead to a purchase!!! Just saying!!
I need to test drive a CTS-V Sedan.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Congrats on your upcoming retirement, you lucky SOB, I am jealous and wish I could say the same!

You got great tastes, LOVE my 500 ci 1969 600 HP Plymouth Road Runner in my sig, and my 2008 Hemi Challenger SRT8 (driven daily for over one year now).

THe new Hemi Challengers, SRT8 and RTs are AWESOME, and you should simply get the funnest car that floats your boat the most.

My Hemi Chally SRT8 is my daily driver, sun, rain, sleet, snow, and I LOVE IT, and it REALLY helps me pass winter much faster, being a REALLY COOL unique modern retro luxury muscle car, that is faster than 99% of the cars that pull up next to me, as it runs 12.7s/12.8s with a few bolt on mods and predator tune.

In a couple of years I would like to trade it in for a 2013 Mustang Shelby 500, that will be making 650HP bone stock, b/c the faster and cooler my daily driver is, the happier it makes me!
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2012-exclusive