Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No More Corvette! She's Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by topelf
Well, my baby's gone! I traded her in on a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring A/T. I know! "What the hell?!" Even my Hyundai salesman was shocked. I told them what I wanted for my C6 and they did the deal. Got super cheap payments on the Genesis coupe and money back. Why you might ask?! It's was a combination of upcoming expensive repairs and new tires for the C6, our lifestyle has changed since I retired, the slow economy and some brand new diagnosed arthritis in my hip. (Long trips were a killer! Home town and Dad 600 miles away.) Anyway, hope is not totally lost. The wife says she's ok with me getting one of the new C7's in 3 years when they hit the streets. I should have the Genesis paid off by then. I hope my arthritis doesn't get any worst though, because, if it does, I'll just have to suck it up for a new C7! I will be keeping up with things on the forum still, but, I just won't be in the water swimming with the sharks for a while. Words of sympathy will be greatly appreciated! [B]It always happens when you sell a Vette, you dont know what you got until its gone... My 19 year old son and me too! I was Vette less for 14 months and I could not stand it! Once its in your blood there's no turning back!!!

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring A/T

Gone but, not forgotten, and, missed already!! 2006 Corvette C6!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
topelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! So now I'm corvetteforum public enemy number one?! LOL! That's ok! And, I went to the Big 3 first. They only wanted to give me around $14,000 for my 06 vette. I really wanted to buy a 2012 Buick Regal GS! Well, let's just say that, I'll never ever go back to that Buick dealership again! Ever! Even in 2011, Big 3 salesmen can still be putzes sometimes. Anyway, I can take the heat! I'm 60 something and my family has owned 12 American cars and this is only our third foreign car. Bad timing, maybe! Un-American, probably! But this works for us, here and now! I wish everyone only the best!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
gordonboss
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

sucks for you in so many ways.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
SoonerC5
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Life's priorities sometimes exclude our personal preferences/fun. A real man does what's best for his family. Sounds like you did what you had to do! I hope there's a C7 in your future to compensate for the sacrifice today!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Cane_MBA
Advanced

Yikes! So now I'm corvetteforum public enemy number one?! LOL! That's ok! And, I went to the Big 3 first. They only wanted to give me around $14,000 for my 06 vette. I really wanted to buy a 2012 Buick Regal GS! Well, let's just say that, I'll never ever go back to that Buick dealership again! Ever! Even in 2011, Big 3 salesmen can still be putzes sometimes. Anyway, I can take the heat! I'm 60 something and my family has owned 12 American cars and this is only our third foreign car. Bad timing, maybe! Un-American, probably! But this works for us, here and now! I wish everyone only the best!
Ahhh the internet you have to love it. I don't blame you one bit, the dealership can make or break your impression of a vehicle or brand. I for one wasn't really considering Porsce, but after visiting the dealership.... Let's say it was a great experience and they treated me well. (I'm still buying a vette though)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Nice rice. Lol

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Genesis is very nice car....will be Lexus in 10yrs

The R Spec model is the one for racers

U will be happy
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't let them get to you. Being American is about freedom. You have the freedom to choose a better product. The big three put out crap for years and expected us to buy it to be patriotic.

That said my Vette has been out for two weeks after some flood damage (needs bumpers) and I can't wait to get back in it. You'll be back sooner than you realize

MC
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When the Hyn coupe first came out I went to check them out for my oldest son. They would not discount them, in fact they had marked them up. Plus they would not let us test drive one. Huh? Whatever!! I left and wont be going back.

Sorry the vette did not fit your needs anymore. Good luck with your new ride and hope to see you back in the better car a C7!!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
abs350
Advanced

I test drove the Genesis coupe. Its a decent car for the money, at least the top of the line 3.8 is. The 2.0T is worthless.

I find it funny that people still believe that buying from the big 3 is somehow patriotic and buying an "import" somehow is not. I guess people still have not learned that we truly do live in a global economy and virtually all companies outsource manufacturing, import raw materials, outsource labor, import sub-assemblies, outsource R&D, outsource test.

My wife drives a Santa Fe and I know for a fact it was assembled in Alabama. I am not sure where they build the Genesis, but I can guarantee the raw materials and sub-assemblies come from many different countries, just like for the C6.

But in any event, the Genesis does not compare to a C6.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Should he have done the maintenance repairs and new tires and then traded it in for the same amount??? That is a very unrealistic, idealistic statement. He did what everyone does -- trade in a 5 year old car when the costs made sense for him!
The fact remains......

Some poor slob is going to buy his dream car & it's going to take a dump on him soon afterwards.

This is exactly the reason I don't buy used cars.....99% of people trading cars in are dumping a problem of some sort.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Sorry,but I have more sympathy for the next owner.....

THIS!!! After having been through this myself, not only have I decided never to buy used again (especially if it's a vette), but I also feel bad for anyone else who is about to be in that situation.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JBauer47
Don't let them get to you. Being American is about freedom. You have the freedom to choose a better product. The big three put out crap for years and expected us to buy it to be patriotic.
...MC
I agree. You can't win - I remember more people on this forum saying they would never buy from "Government Motors" again.

Originally Posted by redzone
The fact remains......

Some poor slob is going to buy his dream car & it's going to take a dump on him soon afterwards.

This is exactly the reason I don't buy used cars.....99% of people trading cars in are dumping a problem of some sort.
I hope you are not aiming your comments at the guy trading it in (the OP). He has every right to trade the car in. The dealer who took it in trade now has assumed the liability of selling a car that may have existing problems. That is what the dealer signs up for in order to profit on the sale of the car.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
dkvetteguy
Racer

when I saw the hyandia or whatever[ you spell it] I thought it was an altima then no a honda! Oh well those cookie cutter cars all look the same. But hey you can look forward to all the young guys saying "SWEET RIDE" LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I agree. You can't win - I remember more people on this forum saying they would never buy from "Government Motors" again.

I hope you are not aiming your comments at the guy trading it in (the OP). He has every right to trade the car in. The dealer who took it in trade now has assumed the liability of selling a car that may have existing problems. That is what the dealer signs up for in order to profit on the sale of the car.
I'm not sure which he meant, but most dealers aren't going to go out of their way to identify a problem that is looming for the next guy.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
I'm not sure which he meant, but most dealers aren't going to go out of their way to identify a problem that is looming for the next guy.
I know they may not - what I'm saying is that if they sell the car with an existing problem they are on the hook. It is their responsibility to perform checks on the car to identify any problems it has when they take it in.

Get notified of new replies

To No More Corvette! She's Gone!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
dkvetteguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Genesis is very nice car....will be Lexus in 10yrs

The R Spec model is the one for racers

U will be happy
Yep the R SPEC is the one for racers. Just like the nissan spec v type r i used to have. A total piece of crap.nothing more than emblems and some stiff shocks and a couple fancy badges to appease the tuner boys! Oh but it had a spoiler and did 0-60 in a blistering 7.8 seconds! My escalade handled better and was faster!
My wife wanted the Nissan and she ended up driving it by herself
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by zipduda
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
00vettefan
Instructor

"I was told if you have nothing good to say...say nothing at all".....BUT

GM sales were recently reported up 20%. When sales are good..it's no biggie to let some one walk, but when sales are down, we will give you the moon and treat you like royalty. How does a GM dealership let a customer of this gentlemens age and generation trade a Corvette for a foreign car??? Laura, GM Customer Service Rep that frequents this forum, should contact this gentleman and then contact the dealership and advise General Manager of this.
The GM dealerships, as a whole, are not excellent representatives for GM as a company and the taxpayers of US. They are lacking in service and sales! There are some good dealerships, but as a whole, most consumers are not trusting of dealerships for sales or service. I would rather go to a dentist for a root canal than try to buy a car at a dealership....and that is totally WRONG! Dealerships, in general, have a past history that they can not overcome!
The dealerships are as much guilty of the demise of GM as GM themselves. Dealerships do not have any loyalty to GM, many dealership owners also own foreign brand dealerships. A good argument for "GM owned/managed dealerships." GM doesn't have that much recourse to get actions from the privately owned dealerships. (Too much legal wording in the contract between GM and dealerships) There are many dealerships that were NOT closed and others that were closed and should have remained open...an argument for another time. The entire GM/dealership relationship needs drastic changes NOW; before GM becomes a thing of the past!
I admit and agree, foreign competition forced GM and the Big 3 to start producing QUALITY and there are lots of great looking foreign vehicles, but the USA Big 3 have the vehicle lineup to compete!

It is disheartening to me, also a person of this gentlemens generation, to see that a corvette was replaced with a foreign car!

Quick Reply: No More Corvette! She's Gone!