Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Camero Vette????

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
92Beast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camero Vette????

The new Camero ZL-1 is going to be a beast. Sure is taking a bunch of the Vette stuff to a lower level. What are they going to do to make the C7 much better than the ZL-1?

Watch the clip from GM

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/29/c...ser/#continued
Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Camaro................it's Camaro.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Still weighs at least 1k more then the Vette
Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the motor is from cadillac CTS-V. yes its similar to LS9 but with smaller blower fewer titanium parts and 80 less hp. camaro will weighs to much and handles like **** to ever be a true threat to vette. i was actually gonna buy 2010 camaro. till i started workin on them and foundout how many flaws they have. besides i really wanted a T/A.

chevy had a chance to hit a grandslam homerun with the camaro, they stepped up to the plate and bunted!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 PM
RJL1
Racer

Ah, I'll take my GS, thank you very much.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

It's not a Vette.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
the motor is from cadillac CTS-V. yes its similar to LS9 but with smaller blower fewer titanium parts and 80 less hp. camaro will weighs to much and handles like **** to ever be a true threat to vette. i was actually gonna buy 2010 camaro. till i started workin on them and foundout how many flaws they have. besides i really wanted a T/A.

chevy had a chance to hit a grandslam homerun with the camaro, they stepped up to the plate and bunted!
I respectfully disagree, that car is going to be hot!
Not Vette hot, but pony car hot! (I am a Camaro fan, so I am biased...)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,016 Likes on 473 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Why are we taking about camaros ?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Garret
Why are we taking about camaros ?
Oh, guess you didn't notice, OP posted a thread about them, now we are talking about them. You should read the title of the thread before you come in, then you don't look silly asking those types of questions.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Archias
Advanced

I just recently traded out of my 2011 SS to get into a C6, and I concur that the Camaro handles like a brick. Not quite as Titanic or Iceberg like as the Challenger, but still. Its weight and height really hinders its performance. And I like twisties

Perhaps the increased horsepower will bridge that gap a bit more, but I wouldnt put it on par with Corvette fun factor just on maneuverability alone.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A "camero Vette?" Not even close.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We tore both a brand new C6, and a brand new Camaro down to the bare bones, and everyone in the shop thought the Camaro was the better built/designed car.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Old School GM Marketing .....
These old dogs can't learn new tricks.

Anyone remember the ZR-1 ploy.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,016 Likes on 473 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Racer
Oh, guess you didn't notice, OP posted a thread about them, now we are talking about them. You should read the title of the thread before you come in, then you don't look silly asking those types of questions.
Funny..I thought I was on my other board for a moment...lol
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

If the ZL1 is 4200 pounds with 550 horses.That's 7.6xxx lbs per HP.Roughly the same as a C6 COUPE without NPP.3200@430 HP=7.44.Good performance for a muscle car.Muscle cars are straight line performers,not twisty performers.Always have been,always will be.The Vette is a SPORTS CAR with lots of muscle! OH yea,IT IS CAMARO!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Of course ZL1 and CTSV are not Vettes. They don’t claim to be. They are stronger in some areas where Vettes are weak (comfort, noise, and at least in the case of CTSV, interior quality), and pay the price by being less strong in ultimate handling. But they clearly have a lot of Vette heritage, and are clearly no slouches in the handling department, so what’s wrong with calling them Caddy-Vette or Camaro-Vette? Why does that threaten you so much that you must brush them aside with “ain’t a Vette” or similar comments? Why not say they are interesting cousins to Vette, big inch American V8 muscle, gives a bit on handling, gains a bit on comfort, welcome to the family.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have had 3 Vettes (all used) and then because of kids got rid of them.

In 1997 I ordered a loaded SLP built SS Camero Vert 6spd from my local dealer. Great car relative fast, good handling a bit rare, but after a while discovered it was not a Vette. In January of 1998 I sold the SS ordered a 98 VETTE Vert 6spd (Car arrived in April).

Cost me a bit of money to do what I should have first. Never should have purchased that poor man’s Vette

Call it what you want no Camero is a VETTE!

Get notified of new replies

To Camero Vette????

Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell is a CamEro?

Before my Z06 I had a '99 Z/28 CamAro. I used to love walking true "sports cars" in the twisties or at the AutoX. I actually went on a 'vette run one year that I had to obtain special permission to join (what a joke). I was running on Victoracers as my every day tire back then (you know, a typical economical DD tire for a college student, hahaha) and had no trouble running away from every 'vette I ended up in front of in the hills. Now, don't get me wrong when I moved up to my '02 Z06 it was a night and day difference and is a far superior handling car, which tells me there were some **** poor drivers on that run. However, you can make a Camaro hustle through the corners, you just have to work it much harder. You really need to trail-brake them to get them to rotate. I had coilovers on it, spherical bearings instead of bushings everywhere possible poly bushings wherever not, Porsche 996TT brakes up front, big sways, 6-point roll bar (mostly for stiffening the car), STB and all the rest of the jazz. The motor was basically stock other than a lid and catback, not even a tune. It was actually a great car and amazing bang for the buck.

Of course, the 5th gen is an entirely different car than my 4th gen. It has some serious advantages (IRS, overall better/more sophisticated geometry etc.) and one giant disadvantage: weight.

The old Camaro doing work:

And the old and new a few days after I sold the Z/28 and got the Z06:

The point is there's no reason to bash on Camaros, and unless you are certain what has or hasn't been done to it and are able to drive your 'vette to its full potential don't necessarily write it off in the corners. Save the hate for the Hondas.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 07-31-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
What the hell is a CamEro?

Before my Z06 I had a '99 Z/28 CamAro. I used to love walking true "sports cars" in the twisties or at the AutoX. I actually went on a 'vette run one year that I had to obtain special permission to join (what a joke). I was running on Victoracers as my every day tire back then (you know, a typical economical DD tire for a college student, hahaha) and had no trouble running away from every 'vette I ended up in front of in the hills. Now, don't get me wrong when I moved up to my '02 Z06 it was a night and day difference and is a far superior handling car, which tells me there were some **** poor drivers on that run. However, you can make a Camaro hustle through the corners, you just have to work it much harder. You really need to trail-brake them to get them to rotate. I had coilovers on it, spherical bearings instead of bushings everywhere possible poly bushings wherever not, Porsche 996TT brakes up front, big sways, 6-point roll bar (mostly for stiffening the car), STB and all the rest of the jazz. The motor was basically stock other than a lid and catback, not even a tune. It was actually a great car and amazing bang for the buck.

Of course, the 5th gen is an entirely different car than my 4th gen. It has some serious advantages (IRS, overall better/more sophisticated geometry etc.) and one giant disadvantage: weight.

The old Camaro doing work:

And the old and new a few days after I sold the Z/28 and got the Z06:

The point is there's no reason to bash on Camaros, and unless you are certain what has or hasn't been done to it and are able to drive your 'vette to its full potential don't necessarily write it off in the corners. Save the hate for the Hondas.

-TJ

Nice car you had.Of course your car should and did run good, look at all the time and work you had in it!

No hate shown if you referring to this poor speller! Just a view of an average person that buys cars. Point I’m making a CamAro and a Vette are far from the same vehicle. I spent a lot of time and money coming to that conclusion. Have talked with many on line that kind of did the same thing also!

I should have known better as I was a serious car guy in the 1960s with lots of years at the drag strip and working/some driving on a stock car pit crew (local stuff only)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Racer
I respectfully disagree, that car is going to be hot!
Not Vette hot, but pony car hot! (I am a Camaro fan, so I am biased...)

Quick Reply: Camero Vette????