Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GMC Syclones

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMC Syclones

I remember loving those little bastards so much when they came out, and sitting in one at a car show telling my friends "I will own one of these, one day."

So I was thinking about them. I know they got AWD, which I really want to be able to launch hard and fast.

I was thinking about getting one, pulling out the 4.3 litter and ****** 700R4 power-sucking tranny, and putting in like a supercharged LS3 and new 6-speed auto tranny. Or something like that.

Can they realisticly be built to handle that kind of power without blowing up?

In particular I worry about the transfer case - didn't they come out of a chevy van or something?

I have a dream. That dream is powerbreaking and launching an AWD vehicle with 700+ horsepower from a dead stop and feeling it lutch forward like a bat out of hell.

Thanks for any discussion!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

They are awesome vehicles and can are hard to beat off the line with most of the performance vehicle of today. alot of people swap out the 4.3 for lsx motors all the time and some alot of them keep the awd. Now the gm 6sp auto I have no clue but Im sure with the right amount of money anything is possible. But dont count out that 4.3. It can be modded to be a MONSTER. With just a vortec head swap will take almost a sec off your et in a otherwise stock truck. They are a pita to work on. I love them and you can get them pretty cheap nowadays. If you go to syty.net you will find ALL of the info your looking for. I learned alot over there with mine and most have no problem getting together and tearing one apart with you. They have get togethers all the time and just wrench on them together. Theres a couple guys on here that have a few and are a wealth of knowledge.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Thanks a ton tomsws6.

I signed up at syty.net. Unfortunately it still won't let me post questions - I got so many
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I would do it! The are legendary! That first stop light ride....you will be in awe and sold!! Yeah....I think an LS platform swap would be a smart move...durable and powerful. Go for it!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

They are bad a$$ little trucks without a doubt, you can definately do the conversion as well. Here is a link to a GMHTP article featuring a friend of mine's truck..... he is a tech/fabricator at Speed Inc. who is a sponsor/vendor here. This is a Typhoon not a Syclone but you get the idea

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...ade/index.html
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Always wanted one...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Hendrick SS
Advanced

I have always loved these. I had several turbo cars and they are a lot of fun. I had an older Eagle Talon AWD turbo and the launch was fun, I also had an 87 Buick GN and I loved that car.
Funny thing was it was a sleeper car for some reason. People just had no idea of what it was. I'm sure the same thing could be said for the TY/SY as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
ScalaRRthu
Instructor

I'm a Syclone owner and absolutely love it! As Tom stated the LSx swap is growing more and more popular as time goes on. Most everybody is swapping to a 4l80 trans, but haven't seen and couldn't say anything about doing it with a 6l80 instead.

I'm in the process "updating" mine as I am still running the 4.3, but figure I'll push it to the limits, and as soon as she goes boom I'll most likely go the LSx route too (at least we'll see when it happens).

And here's proof that AWD can handle some power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafDd...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 AM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Always wanted one...

Get notified of new replies

To GMC Syclones

Quick Reply: GMC Syclones