Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Any shock absorber experts here?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any shock absorber experts here?

I purchased a 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider and want to replace the shocks. Either KYB GR-2 or Monroe Sensatrack. I'm not sure what the difference is between them. I have older KYB's on the car now but I think they are worn. Very soft. I was thinking the Monroe might be a better replacement?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can put a coil over shock in it with adjustable squat and rebound you will have a car that will handle very well ! Stewy
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I have KYBs in my 89 Mazda MX6 GT and they are definitely not "sporty" in any sense of the word. Luckily, my Eibach springs make the overall ride somewhat like a Lexus IS, rather than a Z51 Corvette. I wish I replaced the electronically-adjustable shocks with OEM replacements but they were $1200 at the time (5 years ago).

The problem with many rare, older cars is that aftermarket performance parts are often very limited. I wish I could get Bilsteins......maybe I can work for them and develope some custom shocks on the weekends.....
Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
I have KYBs in my 89 Mazda MX6 GT and they are definitely not "sporty" in any sense of the word. Luckily, my Eibach springs make the overall ride somewhat like a Lexus IS, rather than a Z51 Corvette. I wish I replaced the electronically-adjustable shocks with OEM replacements but they were $1200 at the time (5 years ago).

The problem with many rare, older cars is that aftermarket performance parts are often very limited. I wish I could get Bilsteins......maybe I can work for them and develope some custom shocks on the weekends.....
Yes, the KYB seem spongy to me. Hence the post hoping to find something a little more sporty.

Get notified of new replies

To Any shock absorber experts here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any shock absorber experts here?