Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Boss 302 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you will be back
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The Laguna Seca color scheme is a rip off of a Porsche theme...I guess they figure if it is good enough (it ain't) for Porsche it is good enough for them (it aint). Porsche released a GT3 with a similar color selection. I saw it on display at Laguna Seca ALMS..it almost looked ok on a Porsche. On the Boss it looks like a modern version of the batmobile (aka 1966 TV version)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

According to MOOTOR TREND,they love the BOSS.They can't believe it's a Mustang.It handles very,very well "and the motor would be happy revving itself into the stratosphere"..to quote them...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelee
Keep us posted on the TracKey mod.
There's been alot of hype about this, would like to see the results.
I'd love to, but apparently the presence of a lowly mustang are fairly un-welcomed in a corvette forum (aside from a few).

I plan to report back to the community (svtperformance.com) asap, you can follow my progress over there. Some of my initial plans will be to immediately re-dyno (comparo of stock vs TracKey), as well as a follow up trip to the drag strip Nov 26th (changes in mph).

I'm definitely excited to get my TracKey next week, going to have fun with launch control and enjoy the lopey cam. here's a vid of how she'll sound as well as a quick launch control demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw

here's what she did last weekend, +1900ft DA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1j5Y9U38M

fairly consistent, all 6 of my pass's were 1.9x, and all 6 were 117mph, 12.3-12.4's. The oem 19's are hard to launch without spinning or getting wheel hop. Problem now solved with lower control arms. Those numbers are faster then stock LS2 vette's, and amongst the fastest of the stock LS3's, which makes it a good race between the C6 and Boss. My 06 Z06 on the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnImun7Ich8

was a little faster bone stock

I also weighed my Boss out of pure curiosity...

Not too portly, 400lbs lighter than the GT500. I have since shaved almost 50lbs from a full exhaust, and plan to drop more weight in the future.

Hope that entertained a few of those interested individuals
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnin4
I hear what you are saying, and it's a valid point. Trust me, I know how fast these Z's can be, I'm still #5 on the Fast List (Internal mods + bolt-ons). What's impressive to me, is when you compare the first 4-5 years of C6Z's (95% of the Z's on the road) that came with F1's vs the NON LS Boss that comes with equally as crappy tires (non R compound), the Boss still posted faster lap times at Laguna Seca.

Boss (non-LS) 1:40.21
09 GTR 1:40.45
C6Z with F1's !:40.90

^based on Motor Trends results

One MAJOR factor that we havent included is the TracKey, which is being released this week. The TracKey alter's over 600 parameters of the Boss, tailoring it for pure racing. I'd really like to see the difference in lap times/performance #'s once the TracKey comes into play, I'm guessing it will be significant.
The only advantage the Z07 equipped cars tested on that (very short) track have over the earlier Z06 are the superior tires..and they aren't even the cup tires. That pretty much tells me all I need to know.

I'm still not buying that it'll beat a Z06 (given equal tires). Less power, more weight, etc. Plus, you're comparing a track time from 5 years ago.

That trackey is cool, it sounds like you won't need to tune your car.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 PM
raysk
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a GS, thought about the Boss, it seems like an awesome car, but I always wanted a vette and i also wanted a convertible. But the Boss seems like an awesome car, it will be more exclusive than a standard or GS vette for sure.

I don't think there is a bad choice here.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like someone's vag got irritated

I was simply pointing out the many relative problems you've had with YOUR corvette, versus the ZERO problems I've had with my Boss. I'm just sayin

I'm not a fanboy for the Boss, I've owned 2 C6Z's, love both cars, but dont be fooled into thinking that the Boss has more problems than a corvette. My brand new 08Z had a 1-2 transmission grind/tr6060 that GM refused to warranty, even when the car was brand new with less than 1000 miles on it, no mods. Also, GM refuses to warranty a HUGE paint/body chunk/chip that was under the rear hatch (inside of car) when it was brand new.

^First hand account of getting screwed by GM directly after purchasing a new Z.

You just cant play that hand "Ford is crap, Chevy rules," because neither manufacturer is perfect.
Irritated? No, Wrong sex. If yours did there should be some powder for that.

You didn't point out Anything. One trip to dealer to get axle nuts replaced? Who cares? The other threads were Normal for the car.

Check www.allfordmustangs.com and read how your Mustang buds are VERY UPSET about the China Trans. grinding and not going in gear. Also check out #8 pistons coming out. In the meantime, read how many people are changing their oil only for the engine to start Ticking and Tapping. You said you spent time on mustang forum, how come you don't know about these and many other problems or is it selective memory??

You don't think stangs have more problems? How do you explain 69 TSB's Ford has issued on Just 2011 Mustangs?

The deal with your nibble/grind is common with the TR6060. That's why they didn't warranty it. My '09 had the same deal for about 3,000 miles then it stopped. Only did it Cold.
Your paint/chunk/chip should have been warranted. You had a rotten dealer.
So for the little grind/nibble when cold and having a rotten dealer not doing their job, you got screwed by GM?? You serious?

All newer cars have problems, some have more than others. The hand i play is that i stay with vehicles that are Proven for Me.
I didn't say Ford is crap, i listed serious issues that are going on now.
I hope Ford, GM and Chrysler prospers, the country needs all the help it can get.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I'd love to, but apparently the presence of a lowly mustang are fairly un-welcomed in a corvette forum (aside from a few).

I plan to report back to the community (svtperformance.com) asap, you can follow my progress over there. ....
Thank you....now getting back to Corvettes since this is the CORVETTE forum....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Racer
Doesn't say anything about your blouse or your gold chains?
This forum is so fun!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Apparently someone's severe inferiority complex is raging again.....
Just gotta get back on those meds......
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with the comments on the piant job - it looks like it was styled by a teenager who just finished watching fast and furious.

maybe if they got rid of the paint on the wheels, spoiler, and roof etc... ?

Last edited by el es tu; 10-26-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Boss is a very nice car.
My concerns are with the engine, I read a while ago they coat the piston wall with a few thousands of some coating. this seems to me to be a very difficult process as I read it and to keep quality control perfect will be an issue, along with wear problems down the road. Maybe I can find articles on the new engine, seemed very suspect to me, I think it was a weight savings thing.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm definitely excited to get my TracKey next week, going to have fun with launch control and enjoy the lopey cam. here's a vid of how she'll sound as well as a quick launch control demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw
That's very cool,regardless of who made it. Especially the fact that it allows YOU to set the RPM's the car holds at when using the LC.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
That's very cool,regardless of who made it. Especially the fact that it allows YOU to set the RPM's the car holds at when using the LC.
I had read that they were having problems getting the "key" certified. Has that all been cleared up?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Apparently someone's severe inferiority complex is raging again.....
Just gotta get back on those meds......
Don't pay any attention to Racer - he just really has a thing against Mustangs. I think one of them must have broken his heart when he was a teenager and he has never gotten over it.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-26-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Just read in the paper this morning that Ford is ranked 20 now out of 28 for reliability. Chrysler is the only US car in top 10.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
SRTstyle
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ospreycorvette
My concerns are with the engine, I read a while ago they coat the piston wall with a few thousands of some coating. this seems to me to be a very difficult process as I read it and to keep quality control perfect will be an issue, along with wear problems down the road. Maybe I can find articles on the new engine, seemed very suspect to me, I think it was a weight savings thing.
You're thinking of the Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) technology. It's an alternative to a pressed in liner. Ford licensed this technology to Nissan and they use it in the GT-R. I haven't heard of any issues so far. Also, the Boss doesn't get PTWA. I believe the GT-500 is the only car where Ford uses PTWA.

Get notified of new replies

To Boss 302 or C6

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I had read that they were having problems getting the "key" certified. Has that all been cleared up?
I think so Jim. Last I heard,people going for the track key option should be in business this week sometime.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

might be a corvette forum, but this thread was about "C6 or Boss." I'm the only one here that can provide unbiased info, since I own both cars
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ospreycorvette
have no fear with the new Boss engine, aftermarket shops are already making 900whp on the stock longblock with a simple injector/fp/blower upgrade. The crank, rods, and pistons are forged, unlike any parts of the corvette engine.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 or C6