Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Boss 302 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I keep saying the same thing - I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I think it's mainly the Laguna Seca model that looks so bad.

It's a shame they did that to the Boss - the car is the purest muscle car that truly speaks for itself. I would not blame anyone for wanting the car - it looks to be a damn fine car. But I will say that if you have to pay $50,000 for it, I think a Corvette is a better choice. But damn, I'd sure like to drive one. Great car and we should all be glad that Ford is building these sort of cars. I hear that GM plans to respond with a similar Camaro.
My brother who lives in Edmonton, got his White on Black Boss 302 a couple months ago.
Loves the car.
He's driven my 400rwhp LS3 and said my car is faster in a straight line.
He had a GT500 previously but Boss is lighter, faster and handles like it's on rails. He said the exhaust sound is amazing.

Only bad thing is that I won't be up in Canada until Xmas and I doubt if we will be able to do a test drive in 20 below zero.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnin4
I never said the Boss was a Z killer. However, when compared to the 2006-2010 models (95% of the Z's on the road) it has faster lap times at LS. To me, that is very impressive for a car that cost almost HALF as much and performs at the same level.....and that's without the TracKey (being released this week). The 3 Z06's that you mentioned all had the Z07 package, which have many of the ZR1 parts as well as a 100k+ price tag, they should outperform everything on the road.

I absolutely love the Z, as well as the Boss, just want to make sure there are no misconceptions about what the Boss is capable of
Well, I just wanted to set the record straight about who really had the "R compound" tires. That alone accounts for a HUGE difference. Run a 12' Z07 with the cup tires and I bet it'll be right there on top of the ACR, if not quicker.

As capable as the Boss LS is, put R compounds on the Z06 and it's no contest.

On a short track like that, I doubt the Z06 carbon brakes alone will make that much of a difference over the steel brakes of the regular Z06. It's mostly about tires, and the old F1's were garbage.

That being said, if I was going to get a mustang, the Boss would be choice #1 (but immediately taken to a paint shop then custom wheels).

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 10-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Not to flame you but you must not be a TRUE CORVETTE guy or you would not ever think of going from a corvette to a mustang unless it was for a financial reason. As long as I can afford a CORVETTE that wil be my only SECOND car in the family I will ever own! CORVETTE #1.
We need a lot less people with this type of insulting attitude.

Just because you own something does not automatically make it #1 ( and no, your chosen sports team isnt #1 just because you say so either ).

I love my Corvette and think its one of the best bang for the buck sports cars. But its ridiculous to bicker and insult people because they choose to like a different car.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelee
He's driven my 400rwhp LS3 and said my car is faster in a straight line.
Your car is faster on the track also. I know the Boss can pull 1G on the skidpad, but after 7 laps on the track its narrower tires are going to be melting and its smaller brakes are going to be smoking and fading while your car is going to feel just like it left the pits.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I keep saying the same thing - I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I think it's mainly the Laguna Seca model that looks so bad.

It's a shame they did that to the Boss - the car is the purest muscle car that truly speaks for itself. I would not blame anyone for wanting the car - it looks to be a damn fine car. But I will say that if you have to pay $50,000 for it, I think a Corvette is a better choice. But damn, I'd sure like to drive one. Great car and we should all be glad that Ford is building these sort of cars. I hear that GM plans to respond with a similar Camaro.
I remember in high school a guy had an early 70's camaro, jacked up to the sky with L60's on the back.

He painted his rear differential red. Why? I don't know, maybe he had a couple of rattle cans of red paint laying around. I'm equally confused with the bizarre color scheme they have on this LS.

I'm thinking maybe the same guy in high school now works for Ford in their paint department.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I remember in high school a guy had an early 70's camaro, jacked up to the sky with L60's on the back.

He painted his rear differential red. Why? I don't know, maybe he had a couple of rattle cans of red paint laying around. I'm equally confused with the bizarre color scheme they have on this LS.

I'm thinking maybe the same guy in high school now works for Ford in their paint department.
Laughed my butt off I think I remember that guy
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Laughed my butt off I think I remember that guy
Hey, I resemble that remark, It was orange!! And my brake drums looked amazing shinning through the chrome slots!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Well, I just wanted to set the record straight about who really had the "R compound" tires. That alone accounts for a HUGE difference. Run a 12' Z07 with the cup tires and I bet it'll be right there on top of the ACR, if not quicker.

As capable as the Boss LS is, put R compounds on the Z06 and it's no contest.

On a short track like that, I doubt the Z06 carbon brakes alone will make that much of a difference over the steel brakes of the regular Z06. It's mostly about tires, and the old F1's were garbage.

That being said, if I was going to get a mustang, the Boss would be choice #1 (but immediately taken to a paint shop then custom wheels).
I hear what you are saying, and it's a valid point. Trust me, I know how fast these Z's can be, I'm still #5 on the Fast List (Internal mods + bolt-ons). What's impressive to me, is when you compare the first 4-5 years of C6Z's (95% of the Z's on the road) that came with F1's vs the NON LS Boss that comes with equally as crappy tires (non R compound), the Boss still posted faster lap times at Laguna Seca.

Boss (non-LS) 1:40.21
09 GTR 1:40.45
C6Z with F1's !:40.90

^based on Motor Trends results

One MAJOR factor that we havent included is the TracKey, which is being released this week. The TracKey alter's over 600 parameters of the Boss, tailoring it for pure racing. I'd really like to see the difference in lap times/performance #'s once the TracKey comes into play, I'm guessing it will be significant.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^says the guy who has a picture of a Buick in his avatar

Almost all of those problems that you listed above are almost non existent. I spend just as much time on the Mustang forums as I do on the corvette forums, and I guarantee you that Corvette's have just as many problems as Mustangs. Wanna know how I know this???

Here are 7 threads that you created about problems with your amazing corvette....

1. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...arming-up.html

2. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-detected.html

3. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...axle-nuts.html (TSB's anyone? )

4. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ck-rattle.html

5. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ont-crank.html

6. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tch-fluid.html

7. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sometimes.html

My Boss has yet to see the dealer for any problems
Talking about owned!!
The guy displays a Buick on his avatar and apparently his Corvette is nothing but problems.
That must be why he would not take a mustang if someone gave it to him.
Everyone would rather have an old 6 cyl Buick than a new Boss302.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615

Not me, I would take that Mustang in a second..
..and just as quick, it would have a big for sale sign on it, and I would sit back and let those women fight over it... $$$$

Women love those Mustangs!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

I hear what you are saying, and it's a valid point. Trust me, I know how fast these Z's can be, I'm still #5 on the Fast List (Internal mods + bolt-ons). What's impressive to me, is when you compare the first 4-5 years of C6Z's (95% of the Z's on the road) that came with F1's vs the NON LS Boss that comes with equally as crappy tires (non R compound), the Boss still posted faster lap times at Laguna Seca.

Boss (non-LS) 1:40.21
09 GTR 1:40.45
C6Z with F1's !:40.90

^based on Motor Trends results

One MAJOR factor that we havent included is the TracKey, which is being released this week. The TracKey alter's over 600 parameters of the Boss, tailoring it for pure racing. I'd really like to see the difference in lap times/performance #'s once the TracKey comes into play, I'm guessing it will be significant.
Check this out.

Word has it that the Ford TracKey feature available on the Mustang Boss 302 will come with some interesting fine print. According to Mustangs Daily, owners who opt to have TracKey installed at their local Ford dealer will have to endure a three-year, 36,000-mile powertrain warranty. That's noticeably shorter than the five-year, 60,000-mile warranty that comes standard on the Mustang Boss 302. In addition, owners who decide to bolt on any extra performance modifications in conjunction with TracKey will see their warranty completely voided. Ford says that aftermarket modifications could cause severe engine damage.

Despite the shortened warranty, Mustangs Daily reports that Ford doesn't expect any reliability issues with TracKey. The company says that its engineers have done all of the necessary homework on the system.

From the sound of things, Ford is simply protecting itself from abusive owners who may seek to take advantage of a race car with a warranty. We'll learn more once Ford officially debuts TracKey at SEMA in Las Vegas in a few weeks.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^says the guy who has a picture of a Buick in his avatar

Almost all of those problems that you listed above are almost non existent. I spend just as much time on the Mustang forums as I do on the corvette forums, and I guarantee you that Corvette's have just as many problems as Mustangs. Wanna know how I know this???

Here are 7 threads that you created about problems with your amazing corvette....

1. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...arming-up.html

2. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-detected.html

3. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...axle-nuts.html (TSB's anyone? )

4. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ck-rattle.html

5. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ont-crank.html

6. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tch-fluid.html

7. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sometimes.html

My Boss has yet to see the dealer for any problems
My Buick has blown the doors off over 30 mustangs at Bristol street fights and i loved every second of it
If you had put as much effort into checking my info as you did some of my old posts, you would have seen my 2 Vettes with photos.

ALL of the problems with your "beloved mustangs" Are Existent. Perhaps if you had "spent enough time" before hand finding out the facts you wouldn't sound like a fool now trying to deny them.

Trying to compare some threads i posted of MINOR issues with MAJOR problems i posted with mustangs is trying to compare apples to hand grenades.

ALL threads of mine you posted are either normal or very minor issues. This is how i know.

1) normal for a C5. I missed it in the owners manual.

2) fob needed a battery.

3) axle nuts replaced under warranty. Common, doesn't affect anything.

4) driveline rattle is normal for a man.6 speed car. Trans. is in the back.

5) see #2

6) many hydraulic clutches get dark fluid after a while. Change it for $2.00. Ranger method.

7) C5 minor issue. $9.00 flasher fixes this.

All i can say is good luck on your Ford, you're gonna need it.
2011 Mustangs now have 69 TSB's from Ford. Try checking the LINK.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Talking about owned!!
The guy displays a Buick on his avatar and apparently his Corvette is nothing but problems.
That must be why he would not take a mustang if someone gave it to him.
Apparently you DON'T know what you're talking about. No problems here!

Didn't say i wouldn't take the stang, i said i would SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER VETTE.

Smarta**? Not any 6 cyl. Buick jack, Turbo car. Eats stangs for Breakfast

Mustangs are Still fords What do YOU drive? a '79 pinto?

Last edited by Rebel 1; 10-26-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: what car?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Finelee
Check this out.

Word has it that the Ford TracKey feature available on the Mustang Boss 302 will come with some interesting fine print. According to Mustangs Daily, owners who opt to have TracKey installed at their local Ford dealer will have to endure a three-year, 36,000-mile powertrain warranty. That's noticeably shorter than the five-year, 60,000-mile warranty that comes standard on the Mustang Boss 302. In addition, owners who decide to bolt on any extra performance modifications in conjunction with TracKey will see their warranty completely voided. Ford says that aftermarket modifications could cause severe engine damage.

Despite the shortened warranty, Mustangs Daily reports that Ford doesn't expect any reliability issues with TracKey. The company says that its engineers have done all of the necessary homework on the system.

From the sound of things, Ford is simply protecting itself from abusive owners who may seek to take advantage of a race car with a warranty. We'll learn more once Ford officially debuts TracKey at SEMA in Las Vegas in a few weeks.
I still think it's great that Ford is going out of their way to create an aftermarket race tune for the Boss and still offer the 3yr/36k warranty. I dont buy a car for a warranty anyway, I thoroughly enjoy modifying my rides and pushing them to their limits, even if I have to sacrifice a warranty.

I plan to immediately modify my Boss (Headers/cold air intake + custom dyno tune) within a few days of installing the TracKey (next Tuesday).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Racer
Interesting statement coming from a supposed Corvette owner on a Corvette forum......

If you do own a Corvette and don't like the gold chains, take 'em off, and do up those 4 top buttons on your blouse, you look ridiculous.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...fast-list.html

Click on the link, it might stop you from making a bigger *** out of yourself.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
My Buick has blown the doors off over 30 mustangs at Bristol street fights and i loved every second of it
If you had put as much effort into checking my info as you did some of my old posts, you would have seen my 2 Vettes with photos.

ALL of the problems with your "beloved mustangs" Are Existent. Perhaps if you had "spent enough time" before hand finding out the facts you wouldn't sound like a fool now trying to deny them.

Trying to compare some threads i posted of MINOR issues with MAJOR problems i posted with mustangs is trying to compare apples to hand grenades.

ALL threads of mine you posted are either normal or very minor issues. This is how i know.

1) normal for a C5. I missed it in the owners manual.

2) fob needed a battery.

3) axle nuts replaced under warranty. Common, doesn't affect anything.

4) driveline rattle is normal for a man.6 speed car. Trans. is in the back.

5) see #2

6) many hydraulic clutches get dark fluid after a while. Change it for $2.00. Ranger method.

7) C5 minor issue. $9.00 flasher fixes this.

All i can say is good luck on your Ford, you're gonna need it.
2011 Mustangs now have 69 TSB's from Ford. Try checking the LINK.
looks like someone's vag got irritated

I was simply pointing out the many relative problems you've had with YOUR corvette, versus the ZERO problems I've had with my Boss. I'm just sayin

I'm not a fanboy for the Boss, I've owned 2 C6Z's, love both cars, but dont be fooled into thinking that the Boss has more problems than a corvette. My brand new 08Z had a 1-2 transmission grind/tr6060 that GM refused to warranty, even when the car was brand new with less than 1000 miles on it, no mods. Also, GM refuses to warranty a HUGE paint/body chunk/chip that was under the rear hatch (inside of car) when it was brand new.

^First hand account of getting screwed by GM directly after purchasing a new Z.

You just cant play that hand "Ford is crap, Chevy rules," because neither manufacturer is perfect.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LOUFY
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...fast-list.html

Click on the link, it might stop you from making a bigger *** out of yourself.
Doesn't say anything about your blouse or your gold chains?

Get notified of new replies

To Boss 302 or C6

Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Racer
Doesn't say anything about your blouse or your gold chains?
I don't own either, my C6Z drives well just the same.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LOUFY
I don't own either, my C6Z drives well just the same.
I am not the one who said it, the guy I was responding to said Corvette guys wear them. But the funny thing is, he owns a Corvette too, so he must wear those items.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

I still think it's great that Ford is going out of their way to create an aftermarket race tune for the Boss and still offer the 3yr/36k warranty. I dont buy a car for a warranty anyway, I thoroughly enjoy modifying my rides and pushing them to their limits, even if I have to sacrifice a warranty.

I plan to immediately modify my Boss (Headers/cold air intake + custom dyno tune) within a few days of installing the TracKey (next Tuesday).
Keep us posted on the TracKey mod.
There's been alot of hype about this, would like to see the results.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 or C6