Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Boss 302 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Not to flame you but you must not be a TRUE CORVETTE guy or you would not ever think of going from a corvette to a mustang unless it was for a financial reason. As long as I can afford a CORVETTE that wil be my only SECOND car in the family I will ever own! CORVETTE #1.
I hope you win the lottery so this can be put to the test.

I know, for me, Power Ball win = 458 Italia bye, bye Chevy!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I think they did away with the back seat for that Boss so that advantage over the Corvette is gone now.
Ford made 750 Laguna Seca models, none of which have back seats. The other estimated 3000 Boss 302's have rear seats.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by tomZ51
I currently own a '07 C6 with the Z51. I do spend a bit of time at the track with it and really enjoy it. I am however interested in the new Boss 302 with the n/a high revin 302. Of course, it will be tracked as well.

I do understand that I will probably be flamed by some for thinking of changing to a different car, but that is ok. I am not brand specific as I own several kinds of brands and I just love cars.
Nothing wrong with a "Boss 302" the styling is right and the engine is smokin.

Clif
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer
Add to that some guy called me a douche bag because he thinks a Mustangs is higher up the food chain than a Corvette and I don't.
No, you got called a "douche" because you made a douche bag statement.

Second, like it or not, there is a hierarchy and the Corvette is above the Mustang in the hierarchy........one moves up from a Mustang to a Corvette, not the other way around.
what defines your "hierarchy?" Price of the car? Performance? Other people's opinions?

After owning 2 of each (C6Z's/Mustangs) I can say that there isnt a "best/better" car, because that is completely subjective. Some people simply dont like the stigmatism that comes with owning a corvette (gold chains, mid life crisis, hairy chest. etc).

In the end, life is far too short to love 1 car. I'm going to keep enjoying as many of them as possible (all over the "hierarchy" scale ).

Last edited by Burnin4; 10-24-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
DavidSK5018
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnin4

what defines your "hierarchy?" Price of the car? Performance? Other people's opinions?

After owning 2 of each (C6Z's/Mustangs) I can say that there isnt a "best/better" car, because that is completely subjective. Some people simply dont like the stigmatism that comes with owning a corvette (gold chains, mid life crisis, hairy chest. etc).

In the end, life is far too short to love 1 car. I'm going to keep enjoying as many of them as possible (all over the "hierarchy" scale ).

Nothing worse than GM fanboys
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

^dont listen to this guy, what a douche. "hierarchy"

I've owned 2 C6Z's, 2 2011 Shelby GT500's, and now a 2012 Boss 302. The new Boss is a beast, best bang for the buck on the market, hands down. It is a total blast to drive, and has immense capability. You absolutely will not miss your C6, I guarantee it. I dont love the Boss graphics or the wheels but am tickled with how the car performs, and especially the way it sounds.

for those of you that dont know, the Boss has faster lap times at Laguna Seca then the C6Z, with exception to the 100k+ 2012 Z07 with R compound tires. The Boss has faster times then cars like GTR, 911 Turbo, Audi R8, etc. It is a very capable track car, and based on the link info below RAPES a base corvette. I have no plans to track my Boss, except for an occasional trip to the drag strip. I enjoy driving it around town more than my C6Z's and Shelby's.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

A simple cold air intake, headers, dyno tune + TracKey will completely put it into a whole new lever as well.

The fact is, that the corvette and mustangs are just 2 different kinds of cars. But dont be fooled into thinking the Boss is just another mustang, cause it aint
I just looked at that list and the top 3 Z06's were 2011 models, meaning they didn't have the cup tires, just the regular michelins, which are definitely NOT "R compound tires".

In fact the Boss LS has the R compound tires, and is basically a factory set up track car (per Ford).

"R-compound tires, rear seat-delete, aggressive front splitter for track use, and rear spoiler and rear cross-car bracing shave seconds off track times and boost lateral acceleration to 1.03 g"

“The Laguna Seca package puts a race-ready version of the new Mustang Boss 302 directly into enthusiasts’ hands,” said Mark Fields, Ford president of The Americas. “Laguna Seca isn’t intended for Boss buyers who simply want an exhilarating daily driver. Think of it as a factory-built race car, which we hope avid racers and track-day fans are going to love.”

http://blog.ford.com/article_display...ticle_id=33065

Since the standard Z06 now has decent tires (Eagle F1 G2), I'd imagine it would run close to the Z07 versions on such a short track.

The Boss is a bad *** for sure. But, c'mon, it's not a Z06 killer. And a simple cold air intake (MF103) and dyno tune will also take the Z06 to "another level" (33 rwhp).
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't have a New Mustang, no way no how. If someone Gave Me One, i'd sell it and buy another Vette.
My Ford buddy, whose "blood runs ford blue", won't buy one. His words "ugly with to many problems".

Here are "some issues" with the new mustangs Many people are talking (and are upset) about in: www.allfordmustangs.com
1) MT82 man.6 speed- Made In China. Grinding and refusing to go into gear, requires replacement.
2) Clutch and flywheel problems and Pressure plate bolts backing out.
3) Piston #8 exits, destroying engine.
4) Spark plugs blowing out.
5) VVT sprocket coming loose, damaging engine.
6) Changing the oil first time resulting in Tapping and Ticking noises from New Engines. Ford came up with some "snake oil" to help with the noise.
7) Creaking suspension
8) Rust
Ford has TSB's out the wazoo on Mustangs.

Think i'll stay with C6.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DavidSK5018

Nothing worse than GM fanboys
on a GM Corvette forum no less.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Come on seriously? Ok, I will play......It's Mustang versus Camaro, always has been, always will be, it never has been Mustang versus Corvette, no matter how bad you want it to be...I can't believe it is even questioned.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Some people simply dont like the stigmatism that comes with owning a corvette (gold chains, mid life crisis, hairy chest. etc).
Interesting statement coming from a supposed Corvette owner on a Corvette forum......

If you do own a Corvette and don't like the gold chains, take 'em off, and do up those 4 top buttons on your blouse, you look ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by tomZ51
I currently own a '07 C6 with the Z51. I do spend a bit of time at the track with it and really enjoy it. I am however interested in the new Boss 302 with the n/a high revin 302. Of course, it will be tracked as well.

I do understand that I will probably be flamed by some for thinking of changing to a different car, but that is ok. I am not brand specific as I own several kinds of brands and I just love cars.
I've had both Mustangs and Vettes (currently a 6MT GS coupe) and previously 2 Saleen Mustangs ('89 Vortech supercharged coupe, '95 S-351 ex World Challenge race car, barely streetable 650+ rwhp), love 'em all. I've driven both the '11 Shelby GT 500 and the '12 Boss 302, and the Shelby is a beast, but the Boss is more well balanced. The GT500 has some serious grunt, but the 302 is a sweet engine, 7,000 rpm and in my opinion the best sounding V8 bar none, and the car just drives and handles great. The sad part is the Ford phenomenon of "market adjustment", the Shelby lists in the mid $50's, but you'll be lucky to buy one for $5,000 over sticker and from what I'm hearing the same applies to the Boss. Will either 'Stang beat my GS on a road course? Probably not, but the Boss, especially the Laguna Seca version would be a great race, and against the GT500 I think the weight advantage and better brakes would carry the Vette. Honestly, I think the Boss is the best Mustang ever built, and anyone that hates "just because it's a Ford" is missing the point of a great car. Drive both and decide for yourself, enjoy!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I just looked at that list and the top 3 Z06's were 2011 models, meaning they didn't have the cup tires, just the regular michelins, which are definitely NOT "R compound tires".

In fact the Boss LS has the R compound tires, and is basically a factory set up track car (per Ford).

"R-compound tires, rear seat-delete, aggressive front splitter for track use, and rear spoiler and rear cross-car bracing shave seconds off track times and boost lateral acceleration to 1.03 g"

“The Laguna Seca package puts a race-ready version of the new Mustang Boss 302 directly into enthusiasts’ hands,” said Mark Fields, Ford president of The Americas. “Laguna Seca isn’t intended for Boss buyers who simply want an exhilarating daily driver. Think of it as a factory-built race car, which we hope avid racers and track-day fans are going to love.”

http://blog.ford.com/article_display...ticle_id=33065

Since the standard Z06 now has decent tires (Eagle F1 G2), I'd imagine it would run close to the Z07 versions on such a short track.

The Boss is a bad *** for sure. But, c'mon, it's not a Z06 killer. And a simple cold air intake (MF103) and dyno tune will also take the Z06 to "another level" (33 rwhp).
I never said the Boss was a Z killer. However, when compared to the 2006-2010 models (95% of the Z's on the road) it has faster lap times at LS. To me, that is very impressive for a car that cost almost HALF as much and performs at the same level.....and that's without the TracKey (being released this week). The 3 Z06's that you mentioned all had the Z07 package, which have many of the ZR1 parts as well as a 100k+ price tag, they should outperform everything on the road.

I absolutely love the Z, as well as the Boss, just want to make sure there are no misconceptions about what the Boss is capable of
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Get the Boss:

Hard to past on these type of tests.

I doubt that GM goes to these extremes.

Production Engine Durability Testing
Despite its racing heritage - and the rigors of track-day testing - the Boss 302 V8 is still a production Ford engine, built alongside the 5.0-liter GT engine at Essex Engine Plant in Ontario, Canada. That means it has to meet or exceed all the standard durability testing every Ford engine is required to complete.

The high-winding engine presented a challenge: The engine had no trouble staying together at its redline, but the Ford durability dynamometers weren't designed to operate at the speeds the Boss engine was capable of. "Ford had no engine test cells built to run at that kind of sustained speed," said Harrison. "Ford Racing had one, but it wasn't instrumented to do production durability testing. So we had to re-engineer the dyno cell with new balancers and jackshafts so the dyno wouldn't fly apart running at redline hour after hour."

Once an adequate test stand was configured, the Boss engine was run at its full rated output for tens of millions of cycles, eventually outperforming its specifications at every stage of testing. Engineers calculated that the test regimen was equivalent to running the Daytona 250 race flat-out more than 175 times - in a row.

Team members also devised an additional durability test specific to the Boss 302 engine - one that reflects the unique demands of Boss drivers. The engine was subjected to a regimen simulating 1,500 quarter-mile races typical of events at drag strips across the country.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,940 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
Whatever floats your boat... it's your money. You can always come back to a vette if you don't like the stang.

I sure as hell wouldn't do it... but

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Not to flame you but you must not be a TRUE CORVETTE guy or you would not ever think of going from a corvette to a mustang unless it was for a financial reason. As long as I can afford a CORVETTE that wil be my only SECOND car in the family I will ever own! CORVETTE #1.
Why can't he be a true Corvette guy? Your statement makes no sense. Why do you judge someone by their vehicle, does it make them a lesser person if they don't drive a vette. Your statement is the prime reason why non-vette owners think vette owners are snobish.

I own my '08 vette vert, and wouldn't give it up for the world but we also own a '66 Mustang GT conv and a '68 Mustang coupe, does that make me a non-TRUE CORVETTE guy?

What..... are we back in high school where were told what's cool and what's not?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Interesting statement coming from a supposed Corvette owner on a Corvette forum......
1 minutes worth of research would have negated your skepticism.

Come on seriously? Ok, I will play......It's Mustang versus Camaro, always has been, always will be, it never has been Mustang versus Corvette, no matter how bad you want it to be...I can't believe it is even questioned.
I'm not sure if you have been able to comprehend the basis of this thread, but the OP was inquiring about a Boss vs his 07 Z51 as a track car. This was never a thread about "mustang vs corvette." I have simply been pointing out that a Boss is a better performer for his interests, and is even comparable to the Z in some aspects. Keep in mind, I'm the only person in this thread that has owned both cars in question. However I understand that you are from the "old school" and refuse to believe that a mustang could ever be on par with a corvette.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
I wouldn't have a New Mustang, no way no how. If someone Gave Me One, i'd sell it and buy another Vette.

Here are "some issues" with the new mustangs Many people are talking (and are upset) about in: www.allfordmustangs.com
1) MT82 man.6 speed- Made In China. Grinding and refusing to go into gear, requires replacement.
2) Clutch and flywheel problems and Pressure plate bolts backing out.
3) Piston #8 exits, destroying engine.
4) Spark plugs blowing out.
5) VVT sprocket coming loose, damaging engine.
6) Changing the oil first time resulting in Tapping and Ticking noises from New Engines. Ford came up with some "snake oil" to help with the noise.
7) Creaking suspension
8) Rust
Ford has TSB's out the wazoo on Mustangs.

Think i'll stay with C6.
^says the guy who has a picture of a Buick in his avatar

Almost all of those problems that you listed above are almost non existent. I spend just as much time on the Mustang forums as I do on the corvette forums, and I guarantee you that Corvette's have just as many problems as Mustangs. Wanna know how I know this???

Here are 7 threads that you created about problems with your amazing corvette....

1. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...arming-up.html

2. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-detected.html

3. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...axle-nuts.html (TSB's anyone? )

4. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ck-rattle.html

5. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ont-crank.html

6. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tch-fluid.html

7. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sometimes.html

My Boss has yet to see the dealer for any problems

Get notified of new replies

To Boss 302 or C6

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I would absolutely add a Boss to my growing bucket list of stable mates for my Z
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
The sad part is the Ford phenomenon of "market adjustment", the Shelby lists in the mid $50's, but you'll be lucky to buy one for $5,000 over sticker and from what I'm hearing the same applies to the Boss.
I've owned 2 2011 Shelby's, you can buy them at invoice if you shop around. The problem with buying a Boss is that you cant find them, less then 3,000 are being made. I paid $1000 over invoice for mine but I have a relationship with my local dealer, they can easily be purchased for msrp if you dont mind buying from outside/Autotrader/ebay dealers.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SundownLS1
If you do, get ready for a new paint job and a new set of wheels. My God, that Laguna edition is the ugliest car on the road right now.

I keep saying the same thing - I don't know what the hell they were thinking. I think it's mainly the Laguna Seca model that looks so bad.

It's a shame they did that to the Boss - the car is the purest muscle car that truly speaks for itself. I would not blame anyone for wanting the car - it looks to be a damn fine car. But I will say that if you have to pay $50,000 for it, I think a Corvette is a better choice. But damn, I'd sure like to drive one. Great car and we should all be glad that Ford is building these sort of cars. I hear that GM plans to respond with a similar Camaro.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 or C6