Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone gonna go to a camaro vs corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

No freaking way!!! It took me 48 years to have my dream car and I'm never looking back.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauls72
I was looking to replace my '98 Camaro with a new Camaro 2SS and ended up with a used C6 instead.

Head room was a problem for me, with the sun roof my head was just kissing the roof. With out the sun roof I had an inch or so of clearance and I could feel the static from the headliner pulling my hair up. I'm 6'2" and this was with the seat all the way down and the seat back leaning back some. I don't like driving laying down, so I don't have the seat back in too much of a reclined position. I guess my arms must not be long enough to have the seat further reclined.

Second issue is the tall body with short windows. I felt like you where sitting in a deep bath tub. There was no way you could open the window and comfortably have your arm out.

I liked the amount of trunk storage. Back seat is still useless for adults. Performance and handling where pretty good. I was impressed with the performance of the V6. I really like the hideous Synergy Green color that my wife could not stand. You will not get too much of a break on the price.

I test drove a number of different ones.
I couldnt agree more. I've been car shopping for the past 2 years before I recently picked up my 07 C6. I didnt just look at the Camaro, I rented a nicely equipped RS from Hertz. (It was only $51 per day from the Airport if anyone is interested in doing the same).

While the car was attractive and received many compliments, actually driving it wasnt that much fun.

1) The blind spots are horrendous, not once did I ever feel confident merging lanes. Often times I 2nd guessed so much that I didnt switch lanes when I wanted too, just felt like an accident was gonna happen. It does feel like you are sitting in a bathtub, all the windows are too small.

2) The back seat doesnt have any room. If you have a small adult in the front, then you can also fit a small adult in the back. If you have two medium adults, they can fit but they wont be comfortable. And if you have 2 large adult passengers.. then forget about it.

3) The interior spoke of cheapness. Everything felt rubbery. The 'throwback' gauges werent easy to read and badly placed. The ergonomics in general just felt like a 2nd thought.

Trunk space was premium, gas milage and performance with the V6 was adequate. But overall, I walked away with a feeling like "I'm glad I rented this car.. instead of bought this car". If you are talking the new Camaro vs C6, I'd pick the C6 everytime. It does pretty much everything better and even gas milage is pretty close.

I have read the Camaro Vert fixes alot of the flaws of the coupe. Better visibility, no bathtub feeling. But it still has the cheap, unpleasant interior and I'm sure the backseat still mostly worthless. Rarely does a Vert gain interior space over its Coupe counterpart.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Nick2k14Z51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the new ZL1 offering "at least" 550 super-charged HP next year, I personally know of at least a few people that have been swayed away from the Corvette. One person in particular is totally sold on a ZL1 versus a C6 but has told me he'll be patient and see what the C7 looks and performs like. To him, it had better be a very significant model change to stick with Corvette.

Personally, I love my C6 and although the Camaro is nice, to me, the Corvette is something totally special whereas the Camaro is just another car with a strong motor.

I must admit also though, that when I read about the ZL1...about a month after I finally got my GS, I was disappointed in the fact that the ZL1 will offer so many things the C6 is lacking but still maintain the price point below that of the Corvette. (Electric power steering, dual clutch, beautiful seats, and...oh yeah a super charger)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

I'm not one of those people who are faithful to only one brand.
There are a lot of great cars out there; and honestly, this is the first Chevy I've ever owned.
If I was going to make switch from a true sports car to a muscle car, it wouldn't be to the Camaro.
It would be to a Mustang Boss 302. That is one bad a$$ machine.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Camaro is too heavy and not as nice or good looking as my 68 was. Also, the view out is like looking out of a tank slit.

I'd take a Boss 302 over a Camaro, as well.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 04-20-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

We have a Transformer Edition Camaro SS and love it, even with its flaws. The outward visability leaves alot to be desired and there is not much headroom at all with the sunroof. It is classic form over function because it is a beautifully designed car that looks great, but some function suffers which appears to be the opposite of the Challenger and Mustang. You just can't compare its looks with those two, IMHO.

The SS is a quick car as we lined it up with my 09 Vette on the drag strip a couple wks ago, but it is a large car. Overall, I love the new Camaro, but if I had to choose it or the Vette, no contest. Vette all the way.(Even though I am ready for the C7).
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauls72
I was looking to replace my '98 Camaro with a new Camaro 2SS and ended up with a used C6 instead.

Head room was a problem for me, with the sun roof my head was just kissing the roof. With out the sun roof I had an inch or so of clearance and I could feel the static from the headliner pulling my hair up. I'm 6'2" and this was with the seat all the way down and the seat back leaning back some. I don't like driving laying down, so I don't have the seat back in too much of a reclined position. I guess my arms must not be long enough to have the seat further reclined.

Second issue is the tall body with short windows. I felt like you where sitting in a deep bath tub. There was no way you could open the window and comfortably have your arm out.

I liked the amount of trunk storage. Back seat is still useless for adults. Performance and handling where pretty good. I was impressed with the performance of the V6. I really like the hideous Synergy Green color that my wife could not stand. You will not get too much of a break on the price.

I test drove a number of different ones.
I'm over 6'2'', I can't fit in a Camaro with a sunroof, and my head is on the roof without one too. The top of the windshield is too low, the plastic stuff on the dash looks like a cheap kids toy, and the trunk opening is WAY too small. I'm sure a 5'5'' guy like Sang Yup Lee fits in the car just fine, but not me. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/25/c...es-to-vw-audi/
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I went to an RS 1LT 2011 Camaro from my 06 C6 coupe. Several minor problems with the Vette and the new Camaro was on the dealer's lot while the service department was working on my C6.

Sure do miss the Vette, but I'll probably get another one after the C7s come out.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
MuscleVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife test drove the Camaro and Vette the same day. She said the Camaro felt mushy, slow compared to the Vette.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

My main Vette mechanic is a major Camaro guy - has been tracking a serious '67 for years. He was having orgasms when the new Camaro was announced (he was one of the folks GM asked to become involved with its design and testing). As such, he is well known in Camaro circles.

He recently sold his 2009 Camaro and bought a Z06
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Retro is fun for awhile - then the Vette is always cool!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
MuscleVette
Racer

I forgot to mention - she thought it drove like a Sedan (the Camaro). Just not what I want in a car like that. Plus the interior of the Camaro is horrible. I don't know what they were thinking..
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Only if it was a 69 SS 350, and then it could sit next to the C6 and enjoy the sun!
No way!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
sqchram
Advanced

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
I'm sure a 5'5'' guy like Sang Yup Lee fits in the car just fine, but not me.
How do you know how tall I am??
Old 04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sqchram
How do you know how tall I am??
Just guessing, looking at your photo next to the car, I'm I right?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette is America's sport car, Mustang is America's pony car, all the rest are immitators.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

i had 3 camaro's and dont want another 1 since i got the VETTE . the VETTE is the car to have.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone gonna go to a camaro vs corvette

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Basically, I am a Corvette guy. Did own 2 camaro's. Rented a 2011 Camaro during my last trip. Blind spots all over the place. Had to turn my bag a certan way and try to squeeze it into the trunk opening. Bottom line, although I did consider buying one, as a second car, after the rental, I changed my mind. No insult to the younger crowd on this site, but I also figured that in a few years, all the high school parking lots will be full of them.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Corvette is America's sport car, Mustang is America's pony car, all the rest are immitators.
Excuse me while I puke.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I'm not one of those people who are faithful to only one brand.
There are a lot of great cars out there; and honestly, this is the first Chevy I've ever owned.
If I was going to make switch from a true sports car to a muscle car, it wouldn't be to the Camaro.
It would be to a Mustang Boss 302. That is one bad a$$ machine.
That is nice for you, but this thread isn't about the Mustang, don't care about what you think of it. NOT RELEVENT to this thread.

Quick Reply: Anyone gonna go to a camaro vs corvette