Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

drove a Lexus LF-A

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Default drove a Lexus LF-A

thought you guys might like to see and hear about it.

I couldn't believe how good this car is. Its just crazy good. Well for $375k I suppose it should be. Had 2 laps in it at Autobahn on Friday. Was able to floor it and take it to redline whenever possible but not too hard in the corners since it was cold out and tail came out pretty easy. I want one.

This car runs out of revs so fast, I did it a few times during the 2-lap run. ****ing best car experience ever, period. I mean I've driven a few exotics before (but only on the street). 360, 355, 348, 996 turbo, Viper, off the top of my head - but this was just crazy good. I am planning to do a write-up on it. Need to find the time/motivation. Which I think I will find.

I was surprised, I thought these cars were sold out! I asked the dealer guy there (guy I didn't know, one of the regional reps for Lexus) and he said they are available! I was stunned.

Lexus LF-A event at Autobahn CC by Rasidel Slika, on Flickr

yellow LF-A at Autobahn CC by Rasidel Slika, on Flickr

yellow LF-A at Autobahn CC (HDR) - rear 3/4 view by Rasidel Slika, on Flickr

this is the car I drove -

black LF-A at Autobahn CC (HDR) - rear view by Rasidel Slika, on Flickr

Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

the dash is ridiculous. and, initially the shock factor was like overwhelming and I was like, "gawdamn". But thinking a couple of days later now, I think it costs just a bit too much. The 458 handles and performs pretty much the same and its what, like 100k less. ridiculous. and, its a Ferrari. But one thing thats nice about this car is you don't have the same astronomical maintenance costs as you do with the Ferrari. You would have to take care of the brakes and that'll be pricey but you won't have a $15k basic maintenance bill at 15k on the clock or whatever it is. And also oil changes will be drastically cheaper. I believe they are in the thousands for Ferrari because they have to do extensive work on the engine. All of that being said, I think if I was in a position to buy something like this I'd have to strongly consider the 458 also, along with the Gallardo or hell for this money I'd even be looking at Murcielagos as well, hell maybe even the new LP700. This car is no joke though, 3200 lbs and 552 hp, V10 with a 9000 rpm redline. Its by far the best car I've ever driven. (the best prior to this was a Ferrari 360, 6MT. I've also driven older Ferraris and Porsches).

I was a bit delirious at the end and basically speechless so that's what's going on there lol. The instructor in the IS-F is a kind of 'pace car' so that was another reason I couldn't just go ***** out on the track. But still had ample opportunities to nail it. Oh and, you would never shift gears in the middle of a turn in real racing. this video is with the windows closed... the car has technology that pipes the noise of the engine into the passenger compartment and noise-canceling to get rid of unwanted external noise interference. how ****ing cool is that. I love the sound my friend makes in the beginning, reminds me of one of those Best Motoring videos. we are both ex-Supra guys, btw. So you can imagine how much we enjoyed this. Sitting inside the LF-A for the first time I felt a similar emotion to when I sat in my Supra for the first time..... that car felt like getting into a spaceship too, the first time I did. The interior looked so dream-like, it didn't even look real. The way the console wraps around you, the driving position, etc. The LF-A technically began life as the "Supra successor" so I think that's cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1CTBRQnvk

smiling ear-to-ear by Rasidel Slika, on Flickr

The first order of business was getting accustomed to the track. Each of us got our own IS-F's for this purpose and went out for a preliminary 2-lap run. We followed the instructor in his IS-F so he could get a feel for how we are driving. They weren't about to put us in a $375,000 car at a racetrack if we were driving like idiots. Thankfully having had a good amount of track time myself in my old Supra at Road America and Gingerman Raceway, combined with LOTS and LOTS of seat time on Gran Turismo and many other various racing games over the years, I felt completely at home. The IS-F has some serious power and I had no trouble bringing the back end out coming out of the turns, especially since it was early in the morning and some 35 chilly degrees out. But that did not phase me, I was on a mission!

here's my friend driving it, me video'ing... excuse the shaky hand, I was a bit nervous because my friend is kind of a madman on the street and he doesn't have much (read: almost no) track experience... so uhh.. yeah I was a bit on edge. he gave me a little semi-scare once you'll notice in the video (he almost did some off-roading), its not exactly the best for unexperienced to drive at a racetrack. he gives a pretty good summary of it at the end, including what he thinks about it in comparison to driving a GTR - he's driven Murcielago, 996 and 997 turbo, GTR, and some others - on the street though.

before we left the Lexus guy said "you don't want to be that guy" meaning the guy who wrecks a car at an event like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwYHVRdg5A

Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

thats cool.how did you get a gig like that?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
UE Triplefi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Toyota-Yamaha engine inside the LF-A needs to trickle down to other Lexus/Toyota models!

Also, I think the Chassis of that car is more expensive than the engine.

Just look at how riduclous this is (wow-wise)

Carbon fiber weaving! This is like a homage to Toyota's REAL roots (making textile machinery) before they became a giant car manufacturer.

I'm 1000% sure that this is what made the LF-A seem overpriced to most people when compared to others like the McClaren MP4 and F-458 Italia.

Last edited by UE Triplefi; 03-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by cfl70
thats cool.how did you get a gig like that?
while I no longer own a sports car (ex-Supra owner) I have some amazing friends who know and respect my love for sports cars (and photography) and they kept me in mind for this event. it was a win/win situation! super friends.
Originally Posted by UE Triplefi
Carbon fiber weaving! This is like a homage to Toyota's REAL roots (making textile machinery) before they became a giant car manufacturer.

I'm 1000% sure that this is what made the LF-A seem overpriced to most people when compared to others like the McClaren MP4 and F-458 Italia.
the natural first reaction to this car is its overpriced etc. but most people do not know (and unfortunately they do not care either) how expensive CF is. in terms of materials, this car is in the same league as the Reventon, Enzo, Zonda, SLR, and CGT.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Damn you're lucky! I believe all these cars are already pre-sold so this vs. that comparison is of little practical value. I'm sure if lexus were making these cars in volume they would price it competitive to ferrari. But some say that this car costs lexus about twice as much to build than its selling price.

But frankly I'd chose a ferrari too. At this price I want a rear midengine car.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterK
Damn you're lucky! I believe all these cars are already pre-sold so this vs. that comparison is of little practical value. I'm sure if lexus were making these cars in volume they would price it competitive to ferrari. But some say that this car costs lexus about twice as much to build than its selling price.

But frankly I'd chose a ferrari too. At this price I want a rear midengine car.
that is no longer the case. I could have bought one on Friday if I had the money. there is a new (small) allocation of cars in the US, right now.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Great videos, I love that car, and I too believe it is in the same league as the enzo, and others. I currently own a IS-F, sold my 07 C6 and picked it up because it just fit my needs better, but once you have owned a Lexus with the fit, finish, and reliability it is hard to look back. Though I am very interested to see if there are going to be significant refinements to the C7.

Were you not permitted to pass the IS-F?

I have done the lead follow at Lexus events before, but never in the driver seat of a LFA.

Last edited by hbvette07; 04-03-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

While I did not get to drive the LF-A I did get to ride shotgun in the car with a pro driver last year at Autobahn..... it is truly an amazing automobile..... its definately gotta be one of the best sounding cars in production.

After we got to take a couple of hot laps in the LF-A riding shotgun we got to drive the IS-F in a very aggressive lead follow session. Lexus puts on a class act event all the way.

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by Rasidel
that is no longer the case. I could have bought one on Friday if I had the money. there is a new (small) allocation of cars in the US, right now.
Damn. That's a news to me
Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the great write up!

What an incredible car. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a car like that but I'm looking forward to seeing its technology trickle into their mainstream cars.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Very cool car. I hope they put this V10 in the next GS-F or LS-F and keep it under $100k. I'd buy it as a daily.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad the car is so ugly inside and out
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

why does it have 3 exhaust tips? makes no sense at all..
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Looks to japanesey to me. It's got GTR looks about it that I don't particularly like. It's a bit sleeker than a GTR but not exotic looking enough for me. It needs a BB in it the motor is quiet small. But the guys who have driven it swear it's the ducks guts ! Stewy
Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by Richor
Too bad the car is so ugly inside and out
I think it looks sexy!

To the OP: thats an awesome writeup. Its good to get a write up like that and hear about such an amazing car. Its overpriced but I would buy one if I had the money just for the experience.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Hopefully some of the personality will trickle down to mainstream cars. I would love to see a true sports car from Japan again. I grew up lust after the NSX, RX-7 etc...

Get notified of new replies

To drove a Lexus LF-A

Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool!

I like the black hood.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Hokie
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 12 Posts

do want. sick car but I would take the 458 italia and keep the extra 100k.