Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Was it brand new? No miles? If so, you scored a great deal. At least according to all the 20-30K markup threads.
I paid $1260 over invoice for my 2012.....the days of 20K mark ups are long gone.....

Originally Posted by kageryu311
You can buy a Cobb AP for the GT-R for less than $1000 and tune the car to make 100whp over stock.
The AP alone does not get you 100 hp....you need a custome tune and other mods to get that much....

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
I read this post and it was interesting no one metioned the quality of workmanship in both cars. I own a Z06 and have never seen a GTR up close so I was curious on the quality. Both cars are super fast but isn't almost like comparing apples to oranges. All wheel drive auto vs rear wheel drive standard.
Quality of the GTR is excellent....I also thought the quality on both my vettes was excellent as well.....

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
If they come in... looks more and more like we wont be getting any Nissans for a while.
That is just not true....Nissan is a company that employs an enormous amount of people worldwide....while it's a terrrible tragedy, cars are or will be produced as soon as possible....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
ignatkor
Pro

GTR hands down! Especially this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjPXWdkLHSw
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Yep just looked it up!

Also found out that GT-R wasn't running all out. They maxed out the capabilities of the Cobb ECU management system at the track and called it quits. Car should have run 8's for sure. They said it looks like it's time for a stand alone system. Pro EFI or Motec I would imagine.

All I know is cars are getting stupid fast. Imagine 1 2 3 and your from 60 to 130mph in a street car. Wow is all I can say.

I'm sure a ZR1 will get there as soon as some shop or customer steps up with the mods and $$ to take it there.

ZR1, Z06, GS, etc, the biggest problem will be getting the power to the ground without a slick.
I love the vettes, but there seem to be better platforms for this type of racing.
Tough to beat AWD like the GTR's and Lambo's.

Either way, you are right, the performance of modern day high power street cars is getting to be extreme!

THESE are the good old days!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
leet13
Instructor

Don't flame me guys... but if I had a choice, I would go with the GT-R. I have seen a few out here and there is a white one in my apt complex. Most people wouldnt look twice at a ZR1 and may think- oh look, there goes another Corvette (not knowing what a ZR1 is all about).

I like the idea of AWD as well... GT-R looks nice... you would have some money left over to put into the GT-R and get some more goodies.

Dont get me wrong, they are both amazing but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
BLK281
Racer

Originally Posted by leet13
Don't flame me guys... but if I had a choice, I would go with the GT-R. I have seen a few out here and there is a white one in my apt complex. Most people wouldnt look twice at a ZR1 and may think- oh look, there goes another Corvette (not knowing what a ZR1 is all about).

I like the idea of AWD as well... GT-R looks nice... you would have some money left over to put into the GT-R and get some more goodies.

Dont get me wrong, they are both amazing but thats just my 2 cents.
Thats a great point- most people will not be able to tell the difference between a ZR1 and a regular Vette. Then, to add to the confusion you can get a Z06, with all the ZR1 exterior goodies to even further water down the visual cues that distinguish between the Vette "models". Its typical GM mass production/shared platform mentality.

I am looking at both the ZR1 and the GT-R. Each one has pluses and minuses.

I love the sound and power of the ZR1's big engine, and nothing beats a big V-8 around town. But..the interior sucks, the build quality is so-so (to decent, depending on what day it is), tranny is so-so, harkens up "mid life crisis" car, and it really doesn't stand out in a general crowd.

The GT-R lauches like nothing else..the 2012 is fast, period. It also gets A LOT of attention. Its unique. But..it has a clunky tranny, brakes are insanely expensive to work on, paint quality is so-so (paint is supposedly chip prone), its not set up for the DIY'er/backyard mechanic to dabble with, and is a little racer-boy inside the interior.

Those are my opinionated observations after spending the last 2 months looking at and spending some time in both.

To me, I don't think I (or anyone else) could go wrong with either one. Both have major pluses for them, especially given the fact of what you DO get for 100K.

Its nice to have choices, esp. when the economy makes it easy to get a deal.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK281
Thats a great point- most people will not be able to tell the difference between a ZR1 and a regular Vette. Then, to add to the confusion you can get a Z06, with all the ZR1 exterior goodies to even further water down the visual cues that distinguish between the Vette "models". Its typical GM mass production/shared platform mentality.

I am looking at both the ZR1 and the GT-R. Each one has pluses and minuses.

The GT-R lauches like nothing else..the 2012 is fast, period. It also gets A LOT of attention. Its unique. But..it has a clunky tranny, brakes are insanely expensive to work on, paint quality is so-so (paint is supposedly chip prone), its not set up for the DIY'er/backyard mechanic to dabble with, and is a little racer-boy inside the interior.

Those are my opinionated observations after spending the last 2 months looking at and spending some time in both.

To me, I don't think I (or anyone else) could go wrong with either one. Both have major pluses for them, especially given the fact of what you DO get for 100K.

Its nice to have choices, esp. when the economy makes it easy to get a deal.
As long as you're on a GT-R review, you might try the ride - it rides like a truck, an old truck.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

I'm leaning toward the GT-R myself, for me it is going to depend on the refinements of the C7 if any, and if GM steps up with a DCT.

But regardless check this site for some additional information:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....ogin&fromreg=1
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Why anyone would buy a car that is not too fun to drive is beyond me. The general consensus among people who have actually driven lots of drivers cars(GT3/GT2/Stradale, Scud) is that it's sterile. If the primary reason you buy a car to say something about you when you drive down the road the maybe a GTR can do it. I mean if your 23 and want 22 year olds to look up to you I suppose. Same reason I would never buy a Porsche TT. Old mans car. Like driving a fast couch. Buy the GT3/GT2 if you love to drive. If you'll likely cruise to starbucks in it, go out to dinner, talk to your friends about it alot and never rev it past 3500rpms then the TT is for you. Personally I love to drive. I love having a wild beast that snarls and spits and will tear your head off if you do it wrong. It's not the drivers car a Scud is but it's really damn close. The GTR is nowhere in that league. It's alot slower(no one races from a dig, except dragstrip). I have met 3 GTRs out on the road and they wouldn't even glance in my direction. I raced one at the strip in my Z06 which was a bit of a joke. 11.2@127 to 12.0 @118. I understand the 2012 is a little faster but it will get destroyed by a Zr1 in most situations, save a slick surface from 0-60.
But like I said if you buy cars to say something about you over the actual driving experience which I guess is fine then maybe go for it. Kinda like buying food that looks better on the plate than it actually tastes, just because it looks better.
In a 1/4 mile, I'd put my money ALL DAY LONG on a 2012 GT-R over a ZR-1. Check the numbers out.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

It amazes me to this day how many pages a "GTR vs blank" thread will genrate on any car forum...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
In a 1/4 mile, I'd put my money ALL DAY LONG on a 2012 GT-R over a ZR-1. Check the numbers out.
Correct, but the ZR1 starts pulling the GTR at about 150 and then keeps pulling to 205 MPH (vs the GTR's 191 MPH)

Also, the ZR1 brakes are superior, pulling the car down from 70 to 0 in 142 ft vs a longish 153 ft for the GTR.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ZR1. JMHO. The GT-R is amazing but lightweight, V8, RWD cars are a riot.

On a slightly different note, it's crazy how much they hopped up the GT-R between the R34 and the new R35; the R34 had a similar power-to-weight ratio to the 4th-gen Camaros and accelerated in the same territory as well (mid-to-high 5s to 60, mid-13s in the 1/4), only surpassing it once curves were introduced to allow the AWD to shine. Now the R35 is running to 60 around 3 flat and giving supercars the finger. Nuts.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave68
Correct, but the ZR1 starts pulling the GTR at about 150 and then keeps pulling to 205 MPH (vs the GTR's 191 MPH)

Also, the ZR1 brakes are superior, pulling the car down from 70 to 0 in 142 ft vs a longish 153 ft for the GTR.
The 2012 GT-R tops out at 197mph.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
As long as you're on a GT-R review, you might try the ride - it rides like a truck, an old truck.
Any truck that does 2.9 seconds 0 to 60 mph and runs in the high 10s off the show room floor, bone stock, is my kind of truck (let me tell ya)!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68

In other words, ZR1 loses at drag strip AND road track.
Typical Dave68 spouting stats about cars he has only read about.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Hey, a message from an old guy. I wouldn't give a second look at a GTR or any other rice burner. Two wheels or four. But a ZR1 now that's a different story. But if you young guys want a thrill stop by my place and take my Stock L72 4speed 456 gear Impala with 7.75 bias ply's out and try and slam all 4 gears at 6500 and see how it all started. Yea it won't do 0-60 in 3.6 or 200mph but I guarantee when you get out you will either have a smile on your face or need new underwear.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
Hey, a message from an old guy. I wouldn't give a second look at a GTR or any other rice burner. Two wheels or four. But a ZR1 now that's a different story. But if you young guys want a thrill stop by my place and take my Stock L72 4speed 456 gear Impala with 7.75 bias ply's out and try and slam all 4 gears at 6500 and see how it all started. Yea it won't do 0-60 in 3.6 or 200mph but I guarantee when you get out you will either have a smile on your face or need new underwear.
That is the truth!
Nothing like old school muscle to put a smile on the face!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
In other words, ZR1 loses at drag strip AND road track.
Typical Dave68 spouting stats about cars he has only read about.
And leave it to jonny to inject his venom words.....

I don't think a stock Viper does any better, by the way.

Get notified of new replies

To And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR

Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

"Correct, but the ZR1 starts pulling the GTR at about 150 and then keeps pulling to 205 MPH (vs the GTR's 191 MPH) "

What I would like to know where in Hell you gonna see if it's true.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Bonneville Salt Flats......
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM
BLK281
Racer

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Any truck that does 2.9 seconds 0 to 60 mph and runs in the high 10s off the show room floor, bone stock, is my kind of truck (let me tell ya)!

EXACTLY.

And, who truly cares about the ride in Supercar??

If I wanted the ride, the hp, and a complete package, I wouldn't be looking at EITHER car. Both cars have enough negatives to sway a buyer in either direction.

The Z06, nor the ZR1 ride any better than a GT-R. All 3 are bump magnets.

One thing positive I have seen in regards to the GT-R...I've started REALLY paying attention to who is driving the Corvettes I see, and it ain't pretty. So far..One 30-something year old and about six 50 year old and up Vette owners.

Quick Reply: And why should I buy a ZR1 over a Nissan GTR