Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone have experience with the GT-R???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Big JL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the GT-R???

I'm sure this was a popular comparison a few years ago, but now with some time gone by I'm curious to hear your experiences driving/racing against the Nissan GT-R.

We all struggle with what car to compare with the Corvette (and especially the Z06) because it is simply in a class of its own for the price. For my money, the GT-R is about as close as you can come. 60-75k with a few thousand miles, better tech, better seats, AWD, etc etc... Plus a certain exclusivity that isn't available with 60k cars, even the Z06.

Couple givens in this arguement:
1. GT-R has had reliability issues (just like the Z06)
2. Many of you wouldn't buy a *** 6-banger for 12 bucks (ok, we all get that, lets move on)

If you have thoughts and experiences beyond those two things, I think alot of people would be interested to hear them.

JL
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

that's a tough call. on a cool evening, I managed to best one in all the 1/4 categories which made me smile as it's got the AWD for grip.

Photos of the car don't do it justice. It's a lot nicer in person!

I think the Z has a little more moxie and sitting side by side at the grocery store will garner the most attention. Common folk just have no idea what the GTR is. All they see is the NIssan logo.

I really think you'd be happy either way.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Skimball
Advanced

I wanted to buy one but I got the Z instead. I was not down with the used GTR being 15K more.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search. One of the guys did a good GTR review a while back.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you like the looks of the GTR then it's basically better than an LS2/LS3 corvette in every way other than price.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If I still had three little kids I'd be in a GT-R, although I much preferred the name Datsun, especially on the 510s that ran SCCA G-Prod.

http://www.gtrforums.com/

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r?next=h...card.button1.#

On second thought, when I had a wife and three little kids I didn't have $85K to spend on a car.

Last edited by SpryGeezer; 02-07-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Big JL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Raazor
that's a tough call. on a cool evening, I managed to best one in all the 1/4 categories which made me smile as it's got the AWD for grip.

Photos of the car don't do it justice. It's a lot nicer in person!

I think the Z has a little more moxie and sitting side by side at the grocery store will garner the most attention. Common folk just have no idea what the GTR is. All they see is the NIssan logo.

I really think you'd be happy either way.
Was your car a 650hp TT at the time of the 1/4? Very suprising you'd beat him to 1/8 even so. Very impressive!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Big JL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by goatts
Do a search. One of the guys did a good GTR review a while back.
I would do a search, but then what would you guys do all day??
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It's so ugly.....
Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
richgoat
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Are you debating buying one of the cars? I'm not sure what you are trying to gather here. From your original post, it sounds like you have made your choice; the GT-R.

From my point of view, both are great cars and great starting points to build on, if you want more power, etc. The GT-R being turbo, is fairly simple to get more power. Turn up the boost, probably do a downpipe and full exhaust, and you have a beast. However, from a couple people I know who have them or driven them, they are a pretty rough ride. Believe it or not, the Vette drives much better, according to most.

The GT-R is also heavy. Heavy, AWD, and lots of power ends up in things breaking. Would you want to buy a used one? Chances are it was beat to hell, and with those transmissions and launch control, you could be looking at a pretty penny to fix it.

The Vette, at least to me, is one of the few true sports cars out there. Light, V8, RWD, and you can daily drive it with the reliability of a Toyota (for the most part, as long as you are stock/semi-stock).

Looks wise, I prefer the Vette, but the GT-R is nice looking in person. If I had the $, I would have one of each in the garage, but since I can only afford one I prefer the Vette
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Roidz
Pro

I agree with the ugly part, so it all depends on if you like the looks of it, op, imo.

Last edited by Roidz; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Big JL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by richgoat
Are you debating buying one of the cars? I'm not sure what you are trying to gather here. From your original post, it sounds like you have made your choice; the GT-R.

From my point of view, both are great cars and great starting points to build on, if you want more power, etc. The GT-R being turbo, is fairly simple to get more power. Turn up the boost, probably do a downpipe and full exhaust, and you have a beast. However, from a couple people I know who have them or driven them, they are a pretty rough ride. Believe it or not, the Vette drives much better, according to most.

The GT-R is also heavy. Heavy, AWD, and lots of power ends up in things breaking. Would you want to buy a used one? Chances are it was beat to hell, and with those transmissions and launch control, you could be looking at a pretty penny to fix it.

The Vette, at least to me, is one of the few true sports cars out there. Light, V8, RWD, and you can daily drive it with the reliability of a Toyota (for the most part, as long as you are stock/semi-stock).

Looks wise, I prefer the Vette, but the GT-R is nice looking in person. If I had the $, I would have one of each in the garage, but since I can only afford one I prefer the Vette
Thanks for the input! Not decided at all, just love talkin shop.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Big JL
I would do a search, but then what would you guys do all day??
Should be easier to find now. Lots of reviews here in Other Cars. Some of us would rather help those searching for info on Corvettes.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Big JL
Was your car a 650hp TT at the time of the 1/4? Very suprising you'd beat him to 1/8 even so. Very impressive!
yes and yes

Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into one at a light last summer. I got my a$$ handed to me but not as bad as I thought I would. Personally speaking, I like the styling of it and went as far as attempting to put money down on one before they were even released but the stealership started jerking me around so I walked away from it. I'm actually glad I didn't go that route. People that I talked to had some big issues with their launch control and it seemed like if you even switched to aftermarket valve stem caps Nissan would void your warranty.

*most people don't even notice them and if they do, they have no idea what it is or what its capabilities are. You don't get that with the vette.

Last edited by Xedes; 02-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Xedes
I ran into one at a light last summer. I got my a$$ handed to me but not as bad as I thought I would. Personally speaking, I like the styling of it and went as far as attempting to put money down on one before they were even released but the stealership started jerking me around so I walked away from it. I'm actually glad I didn't go that route. People that I talked to had some big issues with their launch control and it seemed like if you even switched to aftermarket valve stem caps Nissan would void your warranty.
LC is all fekked up. I hear it's gone in the 2012.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Big JL
Heel & Toe

Moved the thread to off topic?

My OP was pretty obviously attempting to draw a parallel between corvettes and the GT-R, especially from the perspective of a current corvette owner. That alone should meet the criteria for "general discussion".

Are we sure all the mods are not GM stockholders?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience with the GT-R???

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

I have both cars.

Head and cam 07 Z06 and 2009 AMS Alpha 900 GT-R

Taken both from bone stock to where they are now. Experience on both road course and drag strip and TX mile so I think I can answer most of your questions.

If you have some have specific questions..just shoot me a PM and I'll go over them with you.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 02-07-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't like them never will ! Ugly car, don't like 4wd on the street, not as much fun ! On a race track there very, very fast but not as fast as a Z06. C6 or C7 will be a better buy BUT if you have kids they all fit in for a family drive CANT do that in a Vette ? I owned a R34 years ago and was never happy with the car. Turn up to a car show in one and get laughed out the gate ! Rice burners are for rice eaters IMHO ! Buy a Chev and do a skid LOL........ Stewy
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

I'll post this here instead of up above in my other post. I had to much info and I didn't want to overwelm the OP.

Like I have stated in other post. I own both cars.

There are pro's and con's with both cars in a variety of different ways but in the end they are both IMO the best " All around " performance cars in their $$ range. You'd have to spend a lot more to keep up with them on any track and with a few upgrades either one will put a big on your face.

Also like Corvettes, there are plenty of used GT-R's ( garage queens )out there with low miles that you can pick up if you shop around. In fact because of the new 2012 coming out there are a lot of people on NAGTROC that got to have the latest and greatest if you know what I mean so now is a good time to buy one for a good price.

BTW there is a lot of INTERNET hype on the GT-R so don't believe a lot of what you hear from people that don't own one or better yet race their GT-R as their opinions/ info may be tainted, lack insight or are just bias in their veiw of the car.

Like some people said looks are subjective. Here is a pic of mine in her street shoes right after she got back to the shop from runing the Texas Mile where it broke the Worlds record for an R35 GT-R in the standing mile.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_2382.jpg Click twice on image to enlarge for a clearer image.

BTW some of those stickers are coming off for street use LOL

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 02-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the GT-R???