Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Caddy-Vette Coupe

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
I'd much rather go for the sedan over the coupe.

-Alex
It's much more stealthy looking.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
Well, the regular CTS Coupe is over 4,000lbs. too and it's able to achieve a 27 MPG rating with the V6, so I'm thinking that the Force fed V8 is the culprit, as it is with the ZR and it being the very first Vette with a gas guzzler tax.
What is the weight of the V-6 3.0 engine car?
Will it ride more comfortable than the CTS-V or will the magnetic suspension be a more comfortable ride in the CTS-V sedan?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I thought this thread would be about the Eldo body built onto a C3. Anyway the CTS line seems pretty cool now with the addition of the coupes. I still don't like that body line that runs over the center of the car though. How does the backseat in a coupe compare to the sedan and wagon? How does the interior space of any CTS compare to Mopar LXs(Charger, 300, Challenger, Magnum)?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Stinger
At first I thought this thread would be about the Eldo body built onto a C3. Anyway the CTS line seems pretty cool now with the addition of the coupes. I still don't like that body line that runs over the center of the car though. How does the backseat in a coupe compare to the sedan and wagon? How does the interior space of any CTS compare to Mopar LXs(Charger, 300, Challenger, Magnum)?
The backseat has the same amount of room for the shoulders down. The biggest difference is the slopping roof which is only good for people 5'10"ish and under. Compared to my friends Challenger, the interior space seems very similar up front and maybe a little more legroom in the rear. I know in his car, I have to set a little more spread eagle to fit behind the drivers seat.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

I’ll admit that the mileage bothered me a bit, but no car is perfect. The way I rationalized it, mileage is similar to SUV’s. Rather than the extra room of an SUV, you get the benefit in extra performance. I’m fully aware that’s rationalization, but on the other hand, if a greenie accuses me of destroying the planet with carbon footprint, I can truly say, no more so than the millions of SUV people. I get performance for my extra CO2, instead of the room that the SUV gang gets. The gas guzzler tax, which would be zero if held to SUV standards, is $1300 for manuals and $2600 for automatics, and is a one time charge which is simply rolled into the sticker price of the car. It’s lower for manuals since they get slightly better mileage.

For the longer term, GM will need to drop the superchargers for ZR1/CTSV, and either go to turbochargers or accept less power. The supercharger, which robs energy even at cruise power because it spins all the time, is what costs the mileage. Turbochargers just open their waste gates at cruise, so don’t spin and rob energy when not needed. But they’re more expensive, and have the turbo lag problem, the split second of hesitation when you floor it, the waste gate closes, and the turbo takes an eye blink of time to spin up.

As to back seat room in the coupe, it is strictly kids or small cargo only. One can only call it a real seat in comparison to the non-existent rear seat in the Vette.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Hey Guys!
I finally ordered my own Coupe yesterday!
Build date is set for the week of Feb. 21-27.
Went with the manual 6 speed, premium model with every option checked, in Thunder Gray.
Now the waiting game begins.....
Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LDB
I’ll admit that the mileage bothered me a bit, but no car is perfect. The way I rationalized it, mileage is similar to SUV’s. Rather than the extra room of an SUV, you get the benefit in extra performance. I’m fully aware that’s rationalization, but on the other hand, if a greenie accuses me of destroying the planet with carbon footprint, I can truly say, no more so than the millions of SUV people. I get performance for my extra CO2, instead of the room that the SUV gang gets. The gas guzzler tax, which would be zero if held to SUV standards, is $1300 for manuals and $2600 for automatics, and is a one time charge which is simply rolled into the sticker price of the car. It’s lower for manuals since they get slightly better mileage.

For the longer term, GM will need to drop the superchargers for ZR1/CTSV, and either go to turbochargers or accept less power. The supercharger, which robs energy even at cruise power because it spins all the time, is what costs the mileage. Turbochargers just open their waste gates at cruise, so don’t spin and rob energy when not needed. But they’re more expensive, and have the turbo lag problem, the split second of hesitation when you floor it, the waste gate closes, and the turbo takes an eye blink of time to spin up.

As to back seat room in the coupe, it is strictly kids or small cargo only. One can only call it a real seat in comparison to the non-existent rear seat in the Vette.
In other words get these cars while you can if you want them brand new. Just how long will the production of the CTS-V and ZR-1 go on?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

The Cadillac CTS-V is already seriously dipping into the Corvette market. If Cadillac comes out with this beauty, in supposedly 2014, it's gonna put a whirl of hurt on the Corvette. I know I'll be in line. It may not materialize, but a guy can dream.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VettinFan
The Cadillac CTS-V is already seriously dipping into the Corvette market. If Cadillac comes out with this beauty, in supposedly 2014, it's gonna put a whirl of hurt on the Corvette. I know I'll be in line. It may not materialize, but a guy can dream.

Get Cadillac Service instead of Chev. service. Get treated better?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Get Cadillac Service instead of Chev. service. Get treated better?
I really can't complain about the service on my '11 Grand Sport. The service dept. has several vette technicians that really know how to service Corvettes. Bought a couple Vette's from them and they do treat me well. My car is always kept in the building when they complete service and never parked outside.

However, the Cadillac dealership will wash my Sport Wagon every time it's brought in for service. Their waiting area is like a mini bistro. Different types of coffee, bagels, donuts, cold drinks and really comfortable chairs to watch the big flat screen TV. Its just a different atmosphere all together.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I really can't complain about the service on my '11 Grand Sport. The service dept. has several vette technicians that really know how to service Corvettes. Bought a couple Vette's from them and they do treat me well. My car is always kept in the building when they complete service and never parked outside.

However, the Cadillac dealership will wash my Sport Wagon every time it's brought in for service. Their waiting area is like a mini bistro. Different types of coffee, bagels, donuts, cold drinks and really comfortable chairs to watch the big flat screen TV. Its just a different atmosphere all together.
Life is good.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That's what I really like about the trips to the service department at Caddy. When my CTS goes in, you are around classier people and customers. No slob fat person sitting next to you with their 8 kids running around. They always provide bagels, internet, D*TV and the salesmen love to take time to talk about cars. Even the loaner when my CTS had problems was a <900 mile CTS and not a crappy Cobalt or whatever Chevy gives you after begging. Unfortunately, the Corvette deserves more than the common Chevy dealership.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
That's what I really like about the trips to the service department at Caddy. When my CTS goes in, you are around classier people and customers. No slob fat person sitting next to you with their 8 kids running around. They always provide bagels, internet, D*TV and the salesmen love to take time to talk about cars. Even the loaner when my CTS had problems was a <900 mile CTS and not a crappy Cobalt or whatever Chevy gives you after begging. Unfortunately, the Corvette deserves more than the common Chevy dealership.
For those that don't have a great Chev. serv. dept., perhaps they should take the Corvette to Cadilliac serv. dept.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

I dove a c5 from dec 2004 until oct 2010. over 130K miles. moved over to the cts v coupe. gotta say I love the cts, do miss the MPG of the vette and the nimble quickness however the cts v coupe has it's merits and do not regret the trade at all... really recomend them if you like nice fast cars...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

For those that don't have a great Chev. serv. dept., perhaps they should take the Corvette to Cadilliac serv. dept.
that's what I always did
Old 01-30-2011, 05:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Texas Stinger
I have always wondered how the Shelby GT-500 would will fare against the CTS-V sedan as both are in the 550 horse club and both weigh in that 4,000+ lb weight range.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Richard Roys
Advanced

Bottom line is you bought an American car, one that has the respect from a lot of other non-american brands.

Get notified of new replies

To Caddy-Vette Coupe

Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I have always wondered how the Shelby GT-500 would will fare against the CTS-V sedan as both are in the 550 horse club and both weigh in that 4,000+ lb weight range.
Equal times for CTSV sedan vs 2011 GT500 on Road and Track magazine test track.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJS04
Equal times for CTSV sedan vs 2011 GT500 on Road and Track magazine test track.
Car and Driver got the exact same time in this years lighting lap test. Every C6 LS3 and better configuration scored a better time than those two cars. The 2010 GS they tested was a whole 6 seconds quicker and the Z07 was over 11 seconds quicker.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Totally different cars really. One is a extremely high performing, heavy, gas guzzling car that has a back seat. The other is a true sports car with economy that would make a lot of V-6 engine powered cars cry. Performance is more than 0-60.

I had an 05 CTS V once and got rid of it because of a bad hip. It was the 2nd most unreliable vehicle I have ever had. Only my 96 TA was more unlreliable. Caddy DSM said I abused the car and even the mechanic and service manager said they could tell how many times I hit the redline. (They also failed to realize that I just bought the car from their sales department as a demo). I guess rear ends are not supposed to go bad at 1k.

I have the Corvette for my performance needs and a Yukon XL Denali AWD for the hauling needs (which gets better gas mileage than the V).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caddy-Vette Coupe