Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Caddy-Vette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Thanks for the various thumbs ups. As far as the negatives, I agree about the bad blind spot to the right rear. But you get used to it, and compensate by using the nicely large outside right rearview mirror. I also agree that mileage is lower than my various standard engined Vettes, but not by as much as you might think. If I left my mileage calculator without resetting for a few thousand miles, my Vettes delivered about 21-22 mpg in the mix of driving that I do. The CTSV has been delivering 16-17 by the same measure. For 12000 miles per year, that’s an extra 170 gallons per year, about $500 per year at current prices, or $850 if it goes to $5. Not trivial, but not a horror story. As far as attempts to quiet my Vettes, I did go to Michelin non run flats, but did not install any sound blanketing. The CTSV is far quieter on road noise than the Vette even when Vette had brand new tires. And I agree there is no good Caddy forum. I’ll probably still look in on this one now and then, and don’t categorically rule out a C7, depending on what they do with them. Remember, nothing I said in the original note or in this one bad mouths Vettes. I drove them for 18 years for heaven’s sake, so I mostly love them. Just got tired of the road noise.

To answer the few outright questions, I got red exterior, with silver Recaro interior, and it looks great. I have not driven a Z06, but according to the tests I’ve seen, yes the CTSV would take it on acceleration and braking. The engine is the ZR1 engine, with slightly less boost, and minus the dry sump and a few internal strengthening goodies. The CTSV brakes are amazing to look at and to experience – they are Brembos, and simply huge.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I can imagine significant stolen sales in the southern states, but here in the snowbelt we need the AWD option so a 'V' model is not real practical for a dd. A number of my local club's members definitely have the 'V' on their radar as well-even with the idea of storing them in the winter as they do their 'Vettes. If the C7 isn't a real homerun, this will likely continue. There was a 'V' sportwagon available for test driving on the course at B-J last week, and I saw quite a few drivers really getting on it as much as possible on the limited course. The next several years will be interesting to see what GM has come up with for a C7 as the tweaking of the current car for 'special/limited' models of the C6 has about run its' course.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
After buying three new Vettes (a C4, C5, and C6) and driving them continuously since 1992, I recently traded the last one for a Caddy-Vette, CTS-V coupe. I will not significantly criticize Vettes, having been very happy with three of them for the last 18 years. But the two Vette disadvantages of tire noise at freeway cruise speed, and let’s face it, somewhat harsh ride even with my last Vette’s fantastic magnetic shocks, had started to wear on me. I didn’t like the CTS-V sedan’s styling, so I never considered it. It was too frumpy and plain after the Vettes. But the coupe, at least in my 63 year old opinion, is pretty darn close in sex appeal to the Vette. And for anyone else who may have similar thoughts, I’d encourage you to go drive a CTS-V coupe. Acceleration and braking are stronger than all but the ZR-1, and handling/cornering are so close to the Vette that it’s not worth talking about the difference. The huge advantages are that the noise is gone, and the ride is vastly better. The only minor thing I don’t like is the speedo/tach arrangement, which ought to be classic, side by side big dials, but instead is the standard CTS arrangement. Other than that, it’s fantastic. I know it’s probably not the ticket for most of the younger Vette owners. But if you’re a 60-ish geezer like me, and are tired of tire noise and ride harshness, do yourself a favor and go try one out.
The CTSV is an amazing car but it's not a vette. The vette noise and stiff ride are a tradeoff for a car that you can drive to the track, run at high speed and then drive home. I put up with the stiff suspension because I will use it at the next event. The CTSV also has tons of power and a stiff ride that you will never need/use if you don't occasionally hit the track. I'm the same age as you by the way (we still young at 60).
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
So it accelerates/brakes better than the Z06? I came within a whisker of buying the sedan V last year & if what you say is true I'll have to take a look at the V Coupe.
No, but it's close.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
The CTS-V coupe with it's enormous B-pillars suffers from dangerous blind spots.

You have to be extra careful when changing lanes in that gas hog.
Cadillac should have included some kind of blind spot warning system with the CTS coupes.
This is true but I would be more interested in the sedan model as a lower profile car (less noticeable than Corvette) in addition to keeping the Corvette.
Mazda has a feature anytime a car comes up in the blindspot a warning goes off.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I too have considered the CTS-V but am turned off by it's poor mileage because gasoline is headed to $5.00/gallon and I love the shear joy of driving daily year around. Having a base coupe with F55 magnetic adjustible suspension all I needed to do was instal the BLOCKIT sounproofing, a Vettebin and partition combo, extra carpeting in the cargo and passenger compartments, padded cloth headliners in the transparent roof, and Michelin A/S ZP tires all around and I now enjoy a touring car ride without objectionable road noise to interfere with the premium sound of the base radio or NPP exhaust when running the M6 transmission through it's gears. I have a ZR1 style splitter and side skirts, stealth driving lights and clear side markers, billet grill and mesh cove screens, etc., etc. plus have the same Crystal Red Metallic color so popular on the CTS-V, so I get plenty of stares, compliments and photos taken. But for sure I don't have the easier entrance and exit and the extra passanger space afforded by your CTS-V, and compliment you on choosing one very fine touring/sports car.
I have a 2005 with the original runflats and F-55 option. I also installed the extra soundproofing "Blockit" and didn't notice any difference.
With the way public roads are today I prefer to stay with a car that isn't too hard but a softer suspension that will cushion out those bumps.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
No, but it's close.
I'm glad you said this, it saved me from having to do so.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDB
I have not driven a Z06, but according to the tests I’ve seen, yes the CTSV would take it on acceleration and braking. The engine is the ZR1 engine, with slightly less boost, and minus the dry sump and a few internal strengthening goodies. The CTSV brakes are amazing to look at and to experience – they are Brembos, and simply huge.
Not sure what you read or where..but that's not what I've found.

Quote from Motor Trend:
And so it proved. In serious performance testing our automatic Coupe pretty much paced the hitherto quickest CTS-V sedan (a manual) on the drag strip, matching it to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds flat, then inching ahead a bit, clearing the quarter-mile in an identical 12.3 seconds at 117.7 mph -- seven-tenths ahead of the sedan (one automatic sedan managed a 117.9-mph trap speed, but took an extra tenth to get there). So the svelte coupe is arguably the quickest CTS-V, by a whisker.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1C5GeAFio

The Z posts a 0-60 of 3.7 seconds and quarter of 11.6@126..best recorded 1/4 on this forum for a completly stock Z06 is 10.9@129 mph.

Don't get me wrong..not trying to start an argument. Don't know about the stopping performance..but it isn't going to outrun a Z06. As stated earlier...I've driven one several times and the Recaro seats and interior are hands down better then the V and I would own one without question. It's a super car just not a Supercar!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

I don’t recall where I saw Z06/CTSV comments, so I will cede to your specific data. The point of my post was not a toe to toe comparison or competition. The point was that in general, the CTSV, especially in coupe form, is for practical purposes, a more user-friendly Vette, drawing heavily from Vette heritage, but taking some of the edges off. Some people don’t want the edges taken off, and that’s perfectly fine. Keep driving the Vettes. I did for 18 years, and I don’t look at that time with even the slightest regret. But some might be interested in CTSV coupe if they knew how generally comparable it is in performance to Vettes. This is why I posted on the C6 forum. I think it’s a shame they moved it to this out of the way forum where few see it. Sure, rules are rules, and it’s not purely a C6 post. But it’s a CTSV/C6 comparison, which I think has just as much applicability and interest to C6 as many of the posts on the C6 forum. It had 400 views and 26 replies in just over an hour on that forum, certainly indicating interest. In the several hours since, about a dozen views and a couple of replies. Oh, well.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LDB
I don’t recall where I saw Z06/CTSV comments, so I will cede to your specific data. The point of my post was not a toe to toe comparison or competition. The point was that in general, the CTSV, especially in coupe form, is for practical purposes, a more user-friendly Vette, drawing heavily from Vette heritage, but taking some of the edges off. Some people don’t want the edges taken off, and that’s perfectly fine. Keep driving the Vettes. I did for 18 years, and I don’t look at that time with even the slightest regret. But some might be interested in CTSV coupe if they knew how generally comparable it is in performance to Vettes. This is why I posted on the C6 forum. I think it’s a shame they moved it to this out of the way forum where few see it. Sure, rules are rules, and it’s not purely a C6 post. But it’s a CTSV/C6 comparison, which I think has just as much applicability and interest to C6 as many of the posts on the C6 forum. It had 400 views and 26 replies in just over an hour on that forum, certainly indicating interest. In the several hours since, about a dozen views and a couple of replies. Oh, well.
The CTS-V in either coupe or sedan would make a better daily driver than the Corvette in that I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it parked and getting attention from LEO's or anybody for that matter. If the CTS-V sedan isolates the crappy roads and more comfortable to drive (not exhausting)then so be it.
Some cars on long trips are uncomfortable and or tiring to drive.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
The CTSV has been delivering 16-17 by the same measure. For 12000 miles per year, that’s an extra 170 gallons per year, about $500 per year at current prices, or $850 if it goes to $5.
Don't forget to add the $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VettinFan
The Shelby GT-500 managed to be exempted from that this year.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Originally Posted by VettinFan
When I was considering the V Coupe, I asked the salesperson if that gas guzzler tax was only when you purchased the car, or every year when you renewed the tags.
His answer was "Every time you fill it up!" lol
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like the V and will probably trade in the Grand Sport after my current CTS comes off lease. The biggest decision will be going with either a wagon, coupe or sedan.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
When I was considering the V Coupe, I asked the salesperson if that gas guzzler tax was only when you purchased the car, or every year when you renewed the tags.
His answer was "Every time you fill it up!" lol
That's the price you pay for that 4,200 lbs. I suppose the heavier the car the more comfortable the ride?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I really like the V and will probably trade in the Grand Sport after my current CTS comes off lease. The biggest decision will be going with either a wagon, coupe or sedan.
Well if you kept the Corvette I would say go with the Stealth CTS-V which would be the sedan.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Well if you kept the Corvette I would say go with the Stealth CTS-V which would be the sedan.
I really only want to have a single car. I feel like I'm not getting a good bang for my dollar by having a DD and a weekend car. I contemplated just using the Vette as a DD, but I want to have the luxury of the CTS when stuck in traffic for multiple hours. Reading posts from other CTS-V owners, the car is extremely trackable so I wouldn't lose out on having the option.

Get notified of new replies

To Caddy-Vette Coupe

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Originally Posted by LS WON
That's the price you pay for that 4,200 lbs. I suppose the heavier the car the more comfortable the ride?
Well, the regular CTS Coupe is over 4,000lbs. too and it's able to achieve a 27 MPG rating with the V6, so I'm thinking that the Force fed V8 is the culprit, as it is with the ZR and it being the very first Vette with a gas guzzler tax.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd much rather go for the sedan over the coupe.

-Alex
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I really only want to have a single car. I feel like I'm not getting a good bang for my dollar by having a DD and a weekend car. I contemplated just using the Vette as a DD, but I want to have the luxury of the CTS when stuck in traffic for multiple hours. Reading posts from other CTS-V owners, the car is extremely trackable so I wouldn't lose out on having the option.
My thought exactly if you can have only ONE.

Quick Reply: Caddy-Vette Coupe