Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GM engines vs. Ford engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
If you really want to compare those 2 engines take a good look at the torque output. The only reason the DOHC engine makes equal HP is because they're spinning it to 9500. I wish they showed the dyno graphs so you could see how much greater the output of the pushrod example was across the graph.
Of course we can look at the torque factor, but that is only due to your increase displacement. Having a larger displacement motor does not conclude a more linear graph. Making power from (example):

2000rpm - 6500rpm (V8)

vs

4500-9500 (4-6 cyl)

or

(3 ft/lb of torque @ 2 RPM) / 5252 = .0011424 HP

(1 ft/lb of torque @ 8 RPM) /5252 = .0015232 hp

Which would you rather have for a racing application?

The usable torque that pushrod engines have comes from their lower state of tune(cant rev as easily) and larger displacement. Give a dohc head the same displacement and it will consume the same fuel and breath better at partial throttle(also, the higher intake velocity at partial throttle and lower revs contributes to a better fuel atomization and more effective pumping in general)and produce more torque everywhere, therefore more power everywhere. This equates to greater EFFICIENCY, more power from the same displacement and consumption, or the same power from less displacement and less fuel consumption.

Last edited by crwtrans; 01-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by crwtrans
Of course we can look at the torque factor, but that is only due to your increase displacement. Having a larger displacement motor does not conclude a more linear graph. Making power from (example):

2000rpm - 6500rpm (V8)

vs

4500-9500 (4-6 cyl)

or

The usable torque that pushrod engines have comes from their lower state of tune(cant rev as easily) and larger displacement. Give a dohc head the same displacement and it will consume the same fuel and breath better at partial throttle(also, the higher intake velocity at partial throttle and lower revs contributes to a better fuel atomization and more effective pumping in general)and produce more torque everywhere, therefore more power everywhere. This equates to greater EFFICIENCY, more power from the same displacement and consumption, or the same power from less displacement and less fuel consumption.
Most of the racing engines I've seen at a dragstrip have been pushrod. But I'm sure either engine has its benefits depending on application.

Personally I prefer the simpler engine that makes torque down low no matter what manufacturer it is.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
tbucketnut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by crwtrans

2000rpm - 6500rpm (V8)

vs

4500-9500 (4-6 cyl)

or

I agree with everything you have said and you are just talking in general. One could go deeper and talk about parasitic losses through increased valve spring pressures needed to over come valve train weight at higher revs with a pushrod motor and on and on, then there is always the result of what happens when you decide to force induce it and that is where things can get down right crazy and the true capabilities on head design of the OHC engine comes really into play.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One could get lost in the minutia of discussing VE, HP/L, etc. etc.
The most powerful NA V8 I am aware of is the AMG M159.

It produces 563bhp and 480btq.
It weighs 450# dry.
The M156 it was derived from cost $56,000. I could not find a price for the AMG M159. I bet it's not less...
The SLS AMG it is installed in gets 14/20mpg. It weighs 3,5XX

The LS7 makes 505bhp and 470#btq.
It weighs 45X# dry.
It costs $14-16,000
The Z06 it is installed in weighs 3200# and gets 15/24mpg.

The additional $40,000 and all that technology got you a whopping 58bhp and 10#tq and lost you 1/4mpg (transmission/vehicle come into play here, but as you can see, it's certainly not more efficient by any real amount, if any, and maybe less-so.)

There you have it. A DOHC NA V8 (supposedly according to AMG, the most powerful in the world at the time).

Sorry, but I will stick with the LS7 until such time as 50bhp are worth another $40,000 to me.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tbucketnut
I agree with everything you have said and you are just talking in general. One could go deeper and talk about parasitic losses through increased valve spring pressures needed to over come valve train weight at higher revs with a pushrod motor and on and on, then there is always the result of what happens when you decide to force induce it and that is where things can get down right crazy and the true capabilities on head design of the OHC engine comes really into play.
Take a trip to a dragstrip for a pro event and see how many are OHC. If the capabilities of OHC were so much greater I would have expected to see some in use but I don't ever remember seeing one.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Take a trip to a dragstrip for a pro event and see how many are OHC. If the capabilities of OHC were so much greater I would have expected to see some in use but I don't ever remember seeing one.
Isn't the new Ford 6.2 v8 producing about the same hp that the GM 6.2 makes in the Silverado?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
Isn't the new Ford 6.2 v8 producing about the same hp that the GM 6.2 makes in the Silverado?
The Ford makes slightly more.

Ford - 411hp 434ft-lb http://www.fordf150.net/2011/2011-ford-f150-engines.php

GM - 403hp 417ft-lb http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500/
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by BSSN
One could get lost in the minutia of discussing VE, HP/L, etc. etc.
The most powerful NA V8 I am aware of is the AMG M159.

It produces 563bhp and 480btq.
It weighs 450# dry.
The M156 it was derived from cost $56,000. I could not find a price for the AMG M159. I bet it's not less...
The SLS AMG it is installed in gets 14/20mpg. It weighs 3,5XX

The LS7 makes 505bhp and 470#btq.
It weighs 45X# dry.
It costs $14-16,000
The Z06 it is installed in weighs 3200# and gets 15/24mpg.

The additional $40,000 and all that technology got you a whopping 58bhp and 10#tq and lost you 1/4mpg (transmission/vehicle come into play here, but as you can see, it's certainly not more efficient by any real amount, if any, and maybe less-so.)

There you have it. A DOHC NA V8 (supposedly according to AMG, the most powerful in the world at the time).

Sorry, but I will stick with the LS7 until such time as 50bhp are worth another $40,000 to me.
This might be the catalog price, but it doesn't provide an accurate estimate on how much it costs to build it. That engine was economical enough to be put in merc models, such as E63, that retailed for $60-80K e.g. the same list price as the Z06 vette. Given that the rest of the E63 costs a lot more to make than the rest of the Z06, I would think that the actual cost to build that AMG engine is similar to the costs of GM's LS7.

Now, the real question is - given a choice, which engine would you prefer in your car? The screaming AMG's DOHC or the lumbering GM's OHV?

Last edited by PeterK; 01-22-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PeterK
This might be the catalog price, but it doesn't provide an accurate estimate on how much it costs to build it. That engine was economical enough to be put in merc models, such as E63, that retailed for $60-80K e.g. the same list price as the Z06 vette. Given that the rest of the E63 costs a lot more to make than the rest of the Z06, I would think that the actual cost to build that AMG engine is similar to the costs of GM's LS7.

Now, the real question is - given a choice, which engine would you prefer in your car? The screaming AMG's DOHC or the lumbering GM's OHV?
Your post is all sorts of shades of gray.

The AMG engine redlines at 7200rpm and the LS7 at 7000rpm. I guess 200rpm less = "lumbering vs. screaming"?

The E63AMG's base price is $87,000. The Z06's fully loaded price is similar before the Z07 option came out.

The E63AMG's engine is the M157. It produces 518bhp and 465#tq. This is only 13bhp more and it is 5#tq less.

The M159 costs considerably more, I assure you. It is ONLY offered in the SLS63AMG. It is the only NA engine mercedes makes that offers "significantly" more horsepower than the LS7, while delivering nearly identical torque, and only spinning 200rpm faster. It is still the most powerful production NA V8 in the world.

So what you are telling me is that the LS7 BARELY plays second-fiddle to the most powerful NA V8 in the world. I'll take it until I have the $190K to drop on the SLS 63 AMG. Which is still not any faster than the Z06. Even with it's seven speed automatic, the mere 300# penalty seems to relegate it to running identical 0-60's (official literature from Benz and GM state 3.7s in both cases), The 1/4 mile times tested are also very similar.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by BSSN

So what you are telling me is that the LS7 BARELY plays second-fiddle to the most powerful NA V8 in the world. I'll take it until I have the $190K to drop on the SLS 63 AMG. Which is still not any faster than the Z06. Even with it's seven speed automatic, the mere 300# penalty seems to relegate it to running identical 0-60's (official literature from Benz and GM state 3.7s in both cases), The 1/4 mile times tested are also very similar.
Well, that engine just won the best engine of the year in the V8 category.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/24/2...ten-best-engi/
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PeterK
Well, that engine just won the best engine of the year in the V8 category.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/24/2...ten-best-engi/
What's your point?
You can't argue with the numbers.

I never said the AMG engine wasn't a beast. Simply that it isn't much better than an LS7, and at a MUCH higher cost.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
Air thin up there in Ramona?
Have you never seen the LT5 in the C4 ZR-1? Only a 350ci but with the 4 cams and 32 valves [+ 16 injectors] it also looked like a monster. One hellish hi-reving monster that would hit the 7200rpm redline in 1st & 2nd in a heartbeat!
Yes, it was impressive to look at with all of the plumbing etc but even more fun to hear at wide open throttle. I owned 3 of them, one for nearly 17 years till the fires took it. Never lost from a 20mph roll up to 100 or so. Went thru the traps in 3rd at 115mph! Not bad for a 400hp 1980's technology motor!
I remember the excitement when the LT5 came out. It was the first Corvette every to be able to fully challenge Ferrari's flagship 12 cylinder standard production car (the Testarossa, followed by the much better 512TR). Kind of a shame they haven't followed up with another DOHC V-8, but to be honest, with the simplicity, high torque, light weight and compactness of the current LS motors, I don't see the point really as long as you have the cubes. The 427 c.i. LS7 can easily rev to 7000 rpm with excellent power all the way to the top.

The biggest thing I miss is that fantastic sound. The Porsche 928's DOHC V-8 had a great sound as well.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 01-23-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tbucketnut
Definitely one of the coolest renditions to ever come from GM, I agree.
Still, when you talk about mass production 2011 Mustangs with the muscle from just 5 liters, it is quite impressive-whether you dig Fords or not, that needs respect.
I have even more respect for the new Mustang chassis. A in a recent shootout, the V-6 Mustang outlapped the Subaru WRX STi turbo AWD car, in spite of banging the 114 mph speed limiter on the Stang! The V-6 Stang even outlapped last year's V-8 GT Stang, although they have similar HP. Still, a V-6 Stang used to be a giant turd. They've come a long way. And the 5.0 GT laps almost the same times as the screaming 414 HP V-8 BMW M3, which is simply incredible!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Maybe because they have so much word of mouth advertising, they don't need to spend money on ads.
Maybe because it is so well known how fantastic the small block Chevy engine is. Maybe because so many '32 Ford hot rods have Chevy small blocks. Maybe because Chevy small blocks are the ubiquitous in the custom and hot rod industry.
well.. the Chevy Small Block and the LS1 based engines today have nothing in common, except the basic structure.. when is the last time Chevy built a "SBC".. mid 90's?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer
Maybe something to discuss on the FORD forums
Your way off base here. The man can ask what he wants. Isn't this in the "other cars" forum? Maybe we should call it "other cars by GM" for you?

Last edited by Fuego; 02-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: GM engines vs. Ford engines