Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tell me what do you think of the new GTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
drabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold mine, actually. I was fortunate enough to have the GTR, 08 Z, 2005 911 and 2002 575M. The GTR was my all year car. Come summer time, I parked the GTR and drove the others. I tracked it a few times, where it is a remarkable car for its heft, but at Mosport, the 911 is as fast and the Z06 faster, albeit on MPSC tires. The BIG problem is that the transmission fluid heats up over 120C which according to the owners manual mandates a change within 5000 Km. It takes 10 litres of $200/litre transmission fluid, so each track day becomes a 2500 dollar affair. This is to keep the car in warranty. If you want to add a transmission cooler, it voids the warranty. So, the car is great, and great value for the money, but as a track car was a bit lacking, although the transmission is out of this world. So I have a 2004 Audi RS6 which makes no pretense about what it is...a fast sedan.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 AM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love them. Like the styling, performance, interiors, everything. I would seriously consider trading my Z for one!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they are great cars. I didn't choose to buy one, but I think they are an engineering tour de force.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 AM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think they are great looking. not in the usual supercar kind of way but they are not the usual supercar. i think they were trying to build a car that was in a class of its own and to do so it had to have looks of its own. i wouldnt trade my vette for one but if i had tons of money i would definitly have one sitting in the garage next to my vette.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing I'd ever care to own.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 87 Posts

I was reading the specs last week - awesome numbers for sure!

Nissan spent a lot of time on the chassis it seems, HP upgrade, and some LED's.

From all reports, the transmission has always been the weak point. Why focus on everything BUT what the car really needed?

More HP is not going to help an already marginal transmission for this application.

Anyone else notice that?

kev
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

True Nissan has made some nice upgrades on the 2012 model and it has already gone faster than the ACR Viper around the N Ring.

I can't wait to see what the new car runs in the qtr mile in stock form. should be low 11's maybe even high 10's.

As far as the transmission goes there was so much INTERNET hype about that when the car 1st hit the US but many many GT-R's get tracked and drag raced and there have been very few problems with the transmission. In fact we have a guy that has made over 70 launches on his stock trans without a problem

Mine is holding over 800awhp with just a 1st gear upgrade and it was holding over 700awhp for over a year bone stock without any issues. Broke a few records along the way too. Fist in the 9's and currently hold the worlds fastest GT-R record in the standing mile which was done at the TX mile this past Oct. It drives like stock on the street and I run a 93 oct and 109 race gas tune on the car.

Love my Z06 and rowing threw the gears and it does require more driver involvement than the GT-R but I'll tell you with 800awhp on the GT-R it will get your attention real fast and it will not drive itself like some people would like to believe it does....trust me.

Looks are subjective IMO.

My Z06 gets more attention from the Ladies for sure where as the GT-R gets 90% of it's attention from men who know cars and it does get a lot of that.

Both cars take to mods very well and with the GT-R it only takes a few bolt on's and a tune to get them deep into the 10's. One guy on the NAGTROC site just went 10.01 @135mph with only a intake, Tune, Full exhaust, upgraded fuel system, DR's on E85.

In fact one of our Corvette members on this site Jamie Furman who holds the Stock Z06 and Viper SRT record just set the fastest GT-R record for a Tune only GT-R. with a 10.6 @ 130mph

Also most of us don't use the ridiculous Nissan trans oil. Just Motil oil which is much less $$. Maintenance has not been an issue at all with the GT-R. Again over hyped.

I keep saying IMO the Z06 and the GT-R are the two best cars for " all around performce " in their price range. They both do well in HPDE's Drag racing, Standing Mile and autocross. In fact the GT-R has also proven itself in Rally racing.

BTW Here is mine at SEMA......click on pictures

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/gal...-fastest-1.JPG

In street trim
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...g06240915a.jpg

At the Texas Mile
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8.102800902880

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3841584_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5025898_n.jpg

To the OP

If your thinking of getting a GT-R...Do it you won't regret it...especially if you can get a 2012 or there are going to be a lot of low mileage 09 and 10's for sale soon that you can get good deals on.

I would have a hard time choosing between the two if I had to. I say drive them both and decide for yourself.

Good luck

Originally Posted by kevin nevius
I was reading the specs last week - awesome numbers for sure!

Nissan spent a lot of time on the chassis it seems, HP upgrade, and some LED's.

From all reports, the transmission has always been the weak point. Why focus on everything BUT what the car really needed?

More HP is not going to help an already marginal transmission for this application.

Anyone else notice that?

kev

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 12-05-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
True Nissan has made some nice upgrades on the 2012 model and it has already gone faster than the ACR Viper around the N Ring.

I can't wait to see what the new car runs in the qtr mile in stock form. should be low 11's maybe even high 10's.

As far as the transmission goes there was so much INTERNET hype about that when the car 1st hit the US but many many GT-R's get tracked and drag raced and there have been very few problems with the transmission. In fact we have a guy that has made over 70 launches on his stock trans without a problem

Mine is holding over 800awhp with just a 1st gear upgrade and it was holding over 700awhp for over a year bone stock without any issues. Broke a few records along the way too. Fist in the 9's and currently hold the worlds fastest GT-R record in the standing mile which was done at the TX mile this past Oct. It drives like stock on the street and I run a 93 oct and 109 race gas tune on the car.

Love my Z06 and rowing threw the gears and it does require more driver involvement than the GT-R but I'll tell you with 800awhp on the GT-R it will get your attention real fast and it will not drive itself like some people would like to believe it does....trust me.

Looks are subjective IMO.

My Z06 gets more attention from the Ladies for sure where as the GT-R gets 90% of it's attention from men who know cars and it does get a lot of that.

Both cars take to mods very well and with the GT-R it only takes a few bolt on's and a tune to get them deep into the 10's. One guy on the NAGTROC site just went 10.01 @135mph with only a intake, Tune, Full exhaust, upgraded fuel system, DR's on E85.

In fact one of our Corvette members on this site Jamie Furman who holds the Stock Z06 and Viper SRT record just set the fastest GT-R record for a Tune only GT-R. with a 10.6 @ 130mph

Also most of us don't use the ridiculous Nissan trans oil. Just Motil oil which is much less $$. Maintenance has not been an issue at all with the GT-R. Again over hyped.

I keep saying IMO the Z06 and the GT-R are the two best cars for " all around performce " in their price range. They both do well in HPDE's Drag racing, Standing Mile and autocross. In fact the GT-R has also proven itself in Rally racing.

BTW Here is mine at SEMA......click on pictures

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/gal...-fastest-1.JPG

In street trim
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...g06240915a.jpg

At the Texas Mile
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8.102800902880

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3841584_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5025898_n.jpg

To the OP

If your thinking of getting a GT-R...Do it you won't regret it...especially if you can get a 2012 or there are going to be a lot of low mileage 09 and 10's for sale soon that you can get good deals on.

I would have a hard time choosing between the two if I had to. I say drive them both and decide for yourself.

Good luck

Sums it up best!! Car is a unreal and is changing the game IMO.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Too expensive?Everyone calls it a bargain.

[Thats intersting you are certainly the first guy to call it overpriced.It is dozens of thousands less than a 911 porsche turbo with better handling and for 2012 just as blistering fast acceleration.The car has all wheel drive,twin turbocarged engine,a paddle shift killer transmission,all features found in cars costing at least 50 grand more.You are entitled to your opininon but overpriced is not what i would call this car.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Nissan hit a home run with the GTR and particularly at its price point. Beyond that, I frankly could care less. I am only a corvette guy.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Great drivetrain, ugly car. A 370Z is what it should have looked like.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I think the GTR is trying too hard.

It tries to be everything. A race car, a GT, a daily driver.... And while some cars are good at this, I do not think the GTR succeeds. I also disdain it's looks, or lack there of.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 AM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

One of the new GTR's just ran a 10.0 at 136 with stock trans, turbos and bolt ons. Very impressive imo!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I like the GTR but do not love it. I love the previous model - this one is just big and clunky.

Also I think they priced it to high just like the 1994 Supra Turbo when it came out. That car was as much as a new Viper - yes it was fast and well made but not enough people cared for it's price point. I thought the GTR was going to be around $60K not 85K.
I don't know how you can say it's overpriced. Even at 2x the price, it kills cars costing even more.

All cars are expensive these days. You can get a loaded Camry that is nearly $40k

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 12-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd rather have an R34 GT-R. Or a Z06. Or a Supra. Or an FD with an LS3 swap. Hell there's a ton of cars I'd rather have over this new GT-R. It's too heavy, and there's no manual transmission. It's also far more expensive to own than any previous GT-R in existence. No thank you. If I want to pay exotic $ on year to year maintenance, I'll buy a Ferrari F430.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crwtrans
One of the new GTR's just ran a 10.0 at 136 with stock trans, turbos and bolt ons. Very impressive imo!

Here is the video.

http://www.dragtimes.com/2010-Nissan...eos-22142.html

Very impressive times for the simple bolt ons he's running.

My buddy Tims AMS Alph 10 GT-R ran a 9.1 @ 163mph and it will be hitting the track within the next couple of weeks and I'm sure it will go 8's @170mph and his car drives like a dream on the streets. I think that says a lot about how easy it is to make this car very fast. Especially since it's such a new Platform.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
kageryu311
Pro

I see the GT-R as the Japanese Z06. A lot of performance for the price. It beats out the Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris etc around road courses for much less money. It has its weak points as does any other car does. Personally, I would trade my C5Z for it but If I had a C6 Z06 or ZR1 I would have a hard time considering the trade. Its a better car to daily drive than the Z06 due to AWD and storage space (My friend used his GTR to move!). I can assume that it is less of a cop magnet than the average sports car too as some cops would confuse it with a Maxima. I personally like the looks but I can tell they are not for everyone.

As for performance they make a hero look like a zero around the twisties and in a straight line there are GT-Rs already whopping TT Lambos on the highway so I think that pretty much sums up my opinion on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Tell me what do you think of the new GTR

Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drabe
It takes 10 litres of $200/litre transmission fluid, so each track day becomes a 2500 dollar affair. This is to keep the car in warranty.
Wow, you got hosed. This place has been advertising this special since 2008:
http://www.thenismoshop.com/ikorb.ph...oduct_id=13133
Many who change the transmission fluid themselves will tell you it can take 8 quarts, so at $54.99/quart you're looking at $440. 10 quarts as specified in the manual seems to be a safeguard to completely flush the old fluid out, which you can do with other types of transmission fluids (doesn't have to be $$$ OEM).
Old 12-06-2010, 04:44 AM
kageryu311
Pro

GT-Rs pulling on TT Lambos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafdWLS-enk

Awesome stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kageryu311
GT-Rs pulling on TT Lambos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafdWLS-enk

Awesome stuff.

What do you think would happen against this GT-R? Much faster than the one in the video. It nows has over 200 more awhp than it did in the video below. Going 8's for sure!

Oh and sorry for the music... Turn it off until the car runs... I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvOxJ...ayer_embedded#!

Quick Reply: Tell me what do you think of the new GTR