Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Default My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0

I got my 1st test drive's in the new 5.0 mustang yesterday.
One was a California Edition automatic with the non performance gear.
I was not at all impressed, it did feel like it lacked in power, the brakes were awefull (lots of fade) the handleing was OK
Then I got into a 6 speed equiped with the 373 gears, and brembo brake package. This felt like a totally different car, the car is very underrated at 411hp, it had power everywhere, handleing was vey sharp as well as breaking.
The suspension seems to be set up more for handling, as I compare the driver to car input to be very simular to the C5 Z I had, good ride but can still feel the bumps on the road, as I can go over railroad tracks and barely feel anything in my 06 Z.
Shifting felt great , and even a tad bit shorter than my 06 Z, there will be no aftermarket need for shot shifting in that car.
Interior felt great, but cheap, as I beleive the seats are stuffed with what felt to be like a very light rubber. The car feels very light.

Bottom line, this car is much, and I say MUCH faster than the Camaro, or Challenger, and is definately without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Corvette, it is the ultimate sleeper, for the drag weekend warrior.
The car I liked stickered at 39k, a price I would never pay, but it was heavilly optioned, the base sticker was 32k, with the brembo option about 2k more, not bad for the performance.
All in all it I have some serious thought about picking one of these up, for an everyday driver, I would never worry about parking it anywhere, the car is nice, but very plain looking, so it would not attract any attention.
All in all a very nice car, that is heads above the challenger and camaro, due to the fact you get base corvette perfomance, in a car that is not in the corvette class, a 7K dollar S/C performance option that ford offers, you get Viper/ZR1 performance, that is huge being that the mustang isnt even in those two cars world.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo what color did you order yours
Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good write up. I test drove a manual Challenger R/T and was not impressed at all....it turned better than I thought for a langbarge but everything else was just wrong in it (typcialy Chrysler ergonomics or lack of as the case may be). Clutch let out way to late, front seats were horrible, felt like I was sitting on a whoopy cushion and my head about hit the ceiling (I'm 6') and the gauges were aimed too low as if they were designed for someone 4 feet tall....overall I felt like I was driving a muscle mini-van. Mustang GT coupe will be by next toy car. Probably wait til the 2012 models are out to see if any bugs show up in new motor. Sold my 2006 C6 convertible last month and honestly it was a great car but I don't miss it one bit. The seats in the Mustang are light years ahead of the Corvette seats IMO. Gauges are inferior...no HUD as well.....stock sound system can't be as bad as the BLOSE system in the Corvette (which I replaced). The Mustang GT is in the same class of cars as the Subaru WRX (which I've owned and was twice as fun as the Corvette especially in the snow)....they are common and cheap but built to be thrashed on the street without worrying about tearing off your front bumper because of lack of ground clearance and such.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

" definately without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Corvette"

Impossible, I test drove it and didn't feel it.
Also every single magazine and test of the 5.0 is slower then the base ls3.
So how did you conclude this?
The Ls3 automatic runs 12.3, manual even better ( I have even seen members running sub 12's)....I don't see any times lower then this on the 5.0 ( without mods)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Big Phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
and is definately without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Corvette.

Are you kidding me? So the 5.0 stang is faster than an an LS3 vette which has more horespower, more torque, and ways less?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cor430vette

The Ls3 automatic runs 12.3, manual even better ( I have even seen members running sub 12's)....I don't see any times lower then this on the 5.0 ( without mods)
Impossible ? which one did you test drive? I drove an auto without the 3.73 gears, it was a slug, drove the six speed with the 3.73 gears and it felt like a different car, that car impressed me.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I conclude this by actually driving the cars, I dont care much for magazine times, if I did BMW's would be the best cars in the world.
Please dont tell me you are one of the LS3 guys that thinks they can get LS7 power with a couple of bolt-ons, I have an 06Z, standard model isnt even in the same league.
I just tell it like it is, I dont look at magazine times, if I did all my cars would have been a half second slower.
Just giving a real unbiased reveiw, that is all.
There has been so much hoopla, on the new 5.0 , I wanted to see if it was real, it is.
Dont worry, the corvette is still a superior car, and is in a different catagory than the mustang, but for the guys with ego's.... and have standard vettes, dont sleep at the light, cause the 5.0 comes alive at 2500 rpms, and screams to 7 grand, make the camaro and challenger look weak, regardless of what the "magazines are saying"

Last edited by NytmereZ; 09-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

If this is true then where is all of the videos of the Camaro, Challenger, and Vettes being destroyed by stock 5.0.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

I conclude this by actually driving the cars, I dont care much for magazine times, if I did BMW's would be the best cars in the world.
Please dont tell me you are one of the LS3 guys that thinks they can get LS7 power with a couple of bolt-ons, I have an 06Z, standard model isnt even in the same league.
I just tell it like it is, I dont look at magazine times, if I did all my cars would have been a half second slower.
Just giving a real unbiased reveiw, that is all.
There has been so much hoopla, on the new 5.0 , I wanted to see if it was real, it is.
Dont worry, the corvette is still a superior car, and is in a different catagory than the mustang, but for the guys with ego's.... and dont have standard vettes, dont sleep at the light, cause the 5.0 comes alive at 2500 rpms, and screams to 7 grand, make the camaro and challenger look weak, regardless of what the "magazines are saying"
Ok, so what your trying to say is your non proffesional butt dyno based on emotion and gut feeling is more realistic then professional drivers who actually test vehicles for a living? Who do multiple quarter mile runs in a controlled environment?

Are you for real?

Also, where is the Z06 coming into this conversation? Where is bolt ons? Mods? I mentioned none of this because a base Corvette does not need it to outperform the 5.0.

Lets look at fact first:The Corvette has superior HP 430 VS 412. Superior Torque 424 Torque vs 390. Weight is lighter 3217 vs 3600 with a weight to power ratio of 7.49 vs 8.7. Also, the Coefficient of drag on the Vette is .28 vs .38 on the mustang. Top speed base vette 190 mph Mustang 155.

A professionally tuned 5.0 with tires did a 11.8. However, base 08 vettes are doing that without a tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qc4Xb7G1ck

I am not saying the mustang is not a fantastic car...in fact if you can convience me "based on reallity" that it is a faster car I would sell my Vette and go buy a brand new 5.0 ! By the way I will give the 5.0 credit on its shifter ...its smooth as silk.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 09-06-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

^^^^^Need I continue Vette Minded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTL9psDWKjU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GkNeD_uIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TJUyPO0VE
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Please continue.

Stock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjmd-...CFQpf2godhlIU3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LauX4nD_C8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBYP...eature=related

Last edited by Vette_Minded; 09-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

I dont see any videos of the 5.0 beating a LS3....we all know that its faster then the camaro, charger, challenger and it runs 12.7's all day long. This is old news ...its an awesome car but it isn't faster then an Ls3 which is what I and vetteminded mentioned -based on the OPs comment:

"and is definately without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Corvette"

Show me a video (even one) of the Mustang 5.0 beating any Vette 08 and above.......
both stock....

I did read a review where they tested it against the M3 and the 5.0 did very well in the handling and 1/4 mile against the M3...in fact the m3 runs 12.7's just like the 5.0 ...So for 35k you get the equivalent to a M3 which is like 2x the price!

Last edited by Cor430vette; 09-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Phil
Are you kidding me? So the 5.0 stang is faster than an an LS3 vette which has more horespower, more torque, and ways less?
OP is obviously delusional.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYC6
yea you are right, I get beat all the time by LS3's in all my cars
Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

yea you are right, I get beat all the time by LS3's in all my cars
Hey Swifty, "your cars" you own a 2011 Mustang that can beat a LS3 car? Isnt that what we're talking about here? Just proves your dilusional.

Seen some of your other posts and you try to stir the sheet pile with childish, inflammatory LS3 remarks. You get some kind of weird pleasure from it. Think a head shrink could do a nice APA report on you.

Working out constantly, belittling, condescending put downs. Me thinks you're definitly compensating for other shortcomings.lol
==============================

another prior nitemere post[, yea you are right all those filmed (at actual drag strip) times are fake "Dude" , if this new little 302 doesnt post any threat to a standard C6 in a staright , why has this topic been so popular? , In my mind if I have an enounter with one in my Z, I will not take it lightly, sorry the LS3 vettes do not impress me at any level in regards to performance, they a nice everyday cars for older gentleman and Hot chicks.]

Last edited by NYC6; 09-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Close the thread we have a verdict.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Close the thread we have a verdict.

Get notified of new replies

To My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0

Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Hey Swifty, "your cars" you own a 2011 Mustang that can beat a LS3 car? Isnt that what we're talking about here? Just proves your dilusional.

Seen some of your other posts and you try to stir the sheet pile with childish, inflammatory LS3 remarks. You get some kind of weird pleasure from it. Think a head shrink could do a nice APA report on you.

Working out constantly, belittling, condescending put downs. Me thinks you're definitly compensating for other shortcomings.lol
==============================

another prior nitemere post[, yea you are right all those filmed (at actual drag strip) times are fake "Dude" , if this new little 302 doesnt post any threat to a standard C6 in a staright , why has this topic been so popular? , In my mind if I have an enounter with one in my Z, I will not take it lightly, sorry the LS3 vettes do not impress me at any level in regards to performance, they a nice everyday cars for older gentleman and Hot chicks.]
, You actually looked over my posts, wow , I love the internet warrior in you , me working out bla bla bla,the classic I'm compensating for something else hahhaha, nope, that is what lazy fat people usualy say to me online , I just posted a review, othing else, to answer you stupid questions( its a waste of my finger efforts, as my typing is crap as well), no I own neither, have had my share of ls motors, and currently LS7, family member has a 2008 M-6 coupe.
I give an honest revieiw, and you spin it, it get it you have an LS3, they just dont impress me anywhere in the power band, sorry, no sotp difference than the LS2, and definately slower than the LS6 I had.
My comment about getting beat by LS3's was smartass, I admidt, but you got me of topic.
Back to the topic, the new 5.0 is very imppressive, and I tip my hat off to ford for stepping up to the plate.
Gt's have been dogs for many years, that is now over.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 09-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by troller399
that this topic should be closed, there are to many insecure people on here that cant handle an unbias review.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Default Steeda Cold air kit, Steeda mail order tune and Nitto 17” NT05R’s

oh and disconected front sway bars,

I just had to throw this in before the thread gets locked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Kch...layer_embedded

thiefed from ot

Quick Reply: My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0