Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Ok, so what your trying to say is your non proffesional butt dyno based on emotion and gut feeling is more realistic then professional drivers who actually test vehicles for a living? Who do multiple quarter mile runs in a controlled environment?

Are you for real?

Also, where is the Z06 coming into this conversation? Where is bolt ons? Mods? I mentioned none of this because a base Corvette does not need it to outperform the 5.0.

Lets look at fact first:The Corvette has superior HP 430 VS 412. Superior Torque 424 Torque vs 390. Weight is lighter 3217 vs 3600 with a weight to power ratio of 7.49 vs 8.7. Also, the Coefficient of drag on the Vette is .28 vs .38 on the mustang. Top speed base vette 190 mph Mustang 155.

A professionally tuned 5.0 with tires did a 11.8. However, base 08 vettes are doing that without a tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qc4Xb7G1ck

I am not saying the mustang is not a fantastic car...in fact if you can convience me "based on reallity" that it is a faster car I would sell my Vette and go buy a brand new 5.0 ! By the way I will give the 5.0 credit on its shifter ...its smooth as silk.
I went 12.9 at 119 in my 1998 C5-m-6 on stock worn tires, I have probabbaly over 2000 passes in 10 years of drag strip racing.

What is your best time in your corvette?(I already know the answer)
I'm sure you can answer how many coats of Zaino you have on your car
If you dont like my reveiw's stay out of the thread
as stated I drove a couple of these, the auto with 3.15 gears was a pooch, the six speed with the 3.73's was damn fast, the gear options are free.
Its sad how one track minded people are.
My review was honest, and fair, FTR I still dont care for the looks of the 5.0 as much as i like the Camaro, and challenger, but they are slow as hell, handled and stopped like $hit, just like the mustang without the brembo's

Last edited by NytmereZ; 09-09-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I went 12.9 at 119 in my 1998 C5-m-6 on stock worn tires, I have probabbaly over 2000 passes in 10 years of drag strip racing.

What is your best time in your corvette?(I already know the answer)
I'm sure you can answer how many coats of Zaino you have on your car
If you dont like my reveiw's stay out of the thread
as stated I drove a couple of these, the auto with 3.15 gears was a pooch, the six speed with the 3.73's was damn fast, the gear options are free.
Its sad how one track minded people are.
My review was honest, and fair, FTR I still dont care for the looks of the 5.0 as much as i like the Camaro, and challenger, but they are slow as hell, handled and stopped like $hit, just like the mustang without the brembo's
Your review was honest and fair until you said stupid crap like it can outrun a LS3..... do you think your crappy runs make you a professional and your butt dyno is more precise then people who have raced and do this for living all their lives and actually time the cars? In a controlled environment?

My fastest run at the track in my LS3 all stock Manual Corvette.....was 12.4 quarter and I am still working on it. This still is besting the time by professionals running the 5.0 ..LOL ...so you " dont already know the answer" just like you dont know what your talking about a mustang beating a LS3 ....

I have run 12.9 in my modded SRT4 Dodge POS Neon so what you did aint crapola...

Last edited by Cor430vette; 09-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your review was honest and fair until you said stupid crap like it can outrun a LS3..... do you think your crappy runs make you a professional and your butt dyno is more precise then people who have raced and do this for living all their lives and actually time the cars? In a controlled environment?

My fastest run at the track in my LS3 all stock Manual Corvette.....was 12.4 quarter and I am still working on it. This still is besting the time by professionals running the 5.0 ..LOL ...so you " dont already know the answer" just like you dont know what your talking about a mustang beating a LS3 ....

I have run 12.9 in my modded SRT4 Dodge POS Neon so what you did aint crapola...
Those SRT4 Neons can run some serious boost and can take quite a beating as well.....if I had the money and time to just **** away I'd pick a used one up and build it up for amateur rally racing.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 AM
sjLt1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the 11 5.0 and IMOP Ford hit a homerun. I drove the M6 with the brembo pkg and 3.73. I left the test drive very impressed with the overall pkg. Power delivery was smooth if not deceptive - car pulls all the way to redline. I myself hit the limiter twice. Handling was crisp. I don't care for the looks but the performance over shadows the looks.

In terms of a LS3 Vette - no way. Not a chance with equal drivers. The 08 A6 vert I have access to pulls hard for a stocker - two different cars..

Very eager to see how GM responds with the Camaro - Dodge is all set with the 6.4L in the Challenger. Power to weight ratio is key and for that you can't beat the LS3 C6.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Bottom line, this car is much, and I say MUCH faster than the Camaro, or Challenger, and is definately without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Corvette, it is the ultimate sleeper, for the drag weekend warrior.
Yeah, okay dude
Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I went 12.9 at 119 in my 1998 C5-m-6 on stock worn tires
Guessing the motor is modded?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Guessing the motor is modded?
Typo mph was 110 and yes 100% stock, original hockey puck hard run flats
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

read between the lines ....It did outrun an LS3 s speed Z51 coupe(how do I know that)
Also you are still slower than my best 01 C5 Z06 stock time, what is your point?
Who cares if a mustang can beat a base vette?
My 92 fox can beat my Viper at a stop light who cares, you people act like babies.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Who cares if a mustang can beat a base vette?
I really don't think anyone here cares if a Mustang can beat a base Vette. Their issue is when you say "the 5.0 is definitely without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Vette" without any proof other than your opinion.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TA
I really don't think anyone here cares if a Mustang can beat a base Vette. Their issue is when you say "the 5.0 is definitely without a doubt quicker than a LS3 Vette" without any proof other than your opinion.
My opinion was put to the test 4 times(read between the lines)
BTW IMO I like the look of the 91-96 C4's(I had an 85) better than, both C5 and C6, and the 96 GS is in my top 3 best looking vettes ever.
People dont like to hear the brutal truth, that is what I give.
I still think the mustang looks like azz next to a vette
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

My opinion was put to the test 4 times(read between the lines)
BTW IMO I like the look of the 91-96 C4's(I had an 85) better than, both C5 and C6, and the 96 GS is in my top 3 best looking vettes ever.
People dont like to hear the brutal truth, that is what I give.
I still think the mustang looks like azz next to a vette
I'm reading between the lines and all I see is BS. Honestly, post a video or tell what ever story you have or drop it.

I think everyone here agrees the new Mustang is an impressive car and the 5.0 is a great engine. However, most of us have since enough to know that it won't beat an LS3 Vette given equal drivers.

Every stock track video I've seen on the 5.0 shows it's about a 12.7 on the low and are usually around 13.0 on average.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Rich_562
Former user ID rcthmpsn
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm interested in the brake fade, because my little sister is looking at one. Where and how did you you test drive this car? Maybe I'm not on your level of expertise on the matter of seat of the pants testing, what is brake fade to you? How long did they let you drive that Vette killer and on what track?

I'll tell you what I did. I test drove the same car today. No brake fade. But then again I know what brake fade is and what it takes to get it there.

I raced the Stang with my bro in law driving it and smoked it. Switched cars and he smoked me in my Vette.

The Stang is a great car for my sister. They bought it.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM
lovec6zo6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rcthmpsn
I'm interested in the brake fade, because my little sister is looking at one. Where and how did you you test drive this car? Maybe I'm not on your level of expertise on the matter of seat of the pants testing, what is brake fade to you? How long did they let you drive that Vette killer and on what track?

I'll tell you what I did. I test drove the same car today. No brake fade. But then again I know what brake fade is and what it takes to get it there.

I raced the Stang with my bro in law driving it and smoked it. Switched cars and he smoked me in my Vette.

The Stang is a great car for my sister. They bought it.
very well said
Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Rich_562
Former user ID rcthmpsn
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lovec6zo6

very well said
Brake fade on a dealer test drive around the block, are you kidding me?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
lovec6zo6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rcthmpsn
Brake fade on a dealer test drive around the block, are you kidding me?
yes

Quick Reply: My test drive of the 2011 Mustang 5.0