Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Nissan 370Z is quick...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Could have been turbos, but I doubt it. More than likely you weren't in the right gear and he was?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Could have been turbos, but I doubt it. More than likely you weren't in the right gear and he was?
A lot of these Z's have turbos.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by djdinoe
Completely agree. There's quite a bit of 'Corvette-centric' here. However, it is a Vette forum lol; so it's not surprising. I love and respect all sport cars.
I do too. And I agree with what you're saying.

But as a former 350Z owner I can tell you those cars are trash - thrashy, loud engine, brutal ride, horrible visibility, loud and irritating on the highway. The worst stock stereo in a $34k car I have ever heard. I had it for 8, very long months. Sold it for more than I bought it for so it wasn't all bad....
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
LORDDVADER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a stock one and was not impressed. I am guess a Nismo equiped one might have fared better but it did not feel as fast as my C6. You said after you passed the other two cars, you both got on it, so I would think that this would be in the 40 - 60 mph area? for that there probably wouldn't be too much difference, but off the line all the way up to 60 then the quarter mile, the C6 should destroy the Z (part of what I didn't like about the Z was its take off).
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM
CRM08
Advanced

I believe it is the first production car to come with an automatic transmission that has rev matching downshifts (double clutching).
Am I correct?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Pimpedc6
Advanced

I have driven the 350Z and 370Z and they were no match for the LS1 corvettes let alone the Ls2 or LS3. They are more of a match for a Dodge Charger. They need a turbo to put them in the ballpark of the LS3's
Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Haters? Did I somehow end up on Myspace with the teens by mistake?

Yes, the 370 is fast and handles well and that is great. A good driver can give you a run for your money in a prius with the right mods. But what is the point?

Again for the jackman guy. What is the point of driving around in a fast yet overpriced and ugly car?
Why?

Weve spoke by pm many times and there is a significant gap in age between us from what i can remember. Im 31 and that term is used in my generation, maybe not in yours.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bapd77
Why?

Weve spoke by pm many times and there is a significant gap in age between us from what i can remember. Im 31 and that term is used in my generation, maybe not in yours.
You have a poor memory. Term is mostly used by children and teens. No big deal just a little fun by a Nissan hater though.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
You have a poor memory. Term is mostly used by children and teens. No big deal just a little fun by a Nissan hater though.
Hate on them, just dont sleep on them
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Evented
Heel & Toe

I own a 2010 370z fully loaded. My input on this is Corvette>ANY Z. Before I bought my 370z I test drove quite few cars including a 3LT 2010 Grand Sport. The HUD was awesome, I couldn't stop staring at it! I remember on the test drive the salesman kept telling me to "get on it" So I did, and broke the tires loose around a bend in 2nd at 2400rpms. Scared the crap out of me! I CAN'T do that in my Z even if I try, no torque down under and not enough up top for that matter. I have co-workers with C5Z's and C6's LS2 and LS3 and all 3 cars will beat a Z by a good amount. The 7AT 370z might give a stock LS2/3 vette a good run for its money due to the gear ratios but the top end of the vette will still beat after about 75mph. I wish I would have been patient to wait another 4 months because a 2008 C6Z was at the same dealer for $44k which I would have jumped on instantly since I bought mine for about $37k and the grandsport was priced at $51k! I rmember my dad telling me "where is your vette wouldn't shut up about? Oh yoo became impatient and now it will bug you until you get what you want" He was right and I regret it every day I drive my Z. The interior compared to the vette (not including the HUD) is much more refined. You are all lucky to drive and be able to afford Z06's!! I have to wait until I am a GS-11 to buy one lol
Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 AM
ignatkor
Pro

Originally Posted by Evented
I own a 2010 370z fully loaded. My input on this is Corvette>ANY Z. Before I bought my 370z I test drove quite few cars including a 3LT 2010 Grand Sport. The HUD was awesome, I couldn't stop staring at it! I remember on the test drive the salesman kept telling me to "get on it" So I did, and broke the tires loose around a bend in 2nd at 2400rpms. Scared the crap out of me! I CAN'T do that in my Z even if I try, no torque down under and not enough up top for that matter. I have co-workers with C5Z's and C6's LS2 and LS3 and all 3 cars will beat a Z by a good amount. The 7AT 370z might give a stock LS2/3 vette a good run for its money due to the gear ratios but the top end of the vette will still beat after about 75mph. I wish I would have been patient to wait another 4 months because a 2008 C6Z was at the same dealer for $44k which I would have jumped on instantly since I bought mine for about $37k and the grandsport was priced at $51k! I rmember my dad telling me "where is your vette wouldn't shut up about? Oh yoo became impatient and now it will bug you until you get what you want" He was right and I regret it every day I drive my Z. The interior compared to the vette (not including the HUD) is much more refined. You are all lucky to drive and be able to afford Z06's!! I have to wait until I am a GS-11 to buy one lol
I have a friend who owns bought 370 and it can't even keep up with my ls1 vert
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never ran a 370Z, but I did run a 265whp 350Z (full bolt-ons and tune). The 370's are making around 270whp, so it was a very similar race. My WS6 put a couple of cars on him. Slowly. Every C5 I ran I was dead-even with. If that Z had gotten the jump, though, it would have been hard to stop him, and if he was in a better gear than me, impossible.

I test-drove a M6 'vert 370Z a few weeks ago. It was better built than anything GM I have ever put my hands on, but it was pretty gutless feeling. I just didn't get that "rush" when I punched it, and I have been driving my 145bhp G20 for the last couple months, too. I expected more excitement.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

My BMW 135i beats a 370Z, and neither is staying with a C6 Vette.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
FastC6Mike
Instructor

Default I agree

Originally Posted by SunnyVette21
How bout it. I bought my son a Cobalt SS and had it tuned. Stock it is 260/260 with a tune it brought out another 40 HP and gobs of torque. Now it is one fast little sucker.

I actually had to drive it to the Forum Cruise In in BG this past May. My Vette was still not quite done with the SC being installed.

It is one fun little car. The only version in Cobalt clothing that is worthy.

It actually posted greate results on the Nurburgring and at VIR in tests done in 2008. It beat out several cars that were 4 to 6X its cost.

My son loves it to death. The even better part is that for his first car he was given an unexpected gift. The dealer that sent it to my dealer had put a wheel package on it. It consisted of upgraded 17" Enke LMF wheels with Kuhmo Ecsta Summer rubber and a Nitrogen fill. Total cost 1,500. The other dealer forgot to bill my dealer for it so my son got the upgrade for free.
The Cobalt SS is really a great car.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM
FastC6Mike
Instructor

Default I agree

Originally Posted by Pimpedc6
I have driven the 350Z and 370Z and they were no match for the LS1 corvettes let alone the Ls2 or LS3.
I actually like the looks of the 370Z, but stock it cannot run up against a C6 corvette.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I enjoyed my 06 350Z/Grand Tourer model. Does not have the power of the LS3 but I will tell you I enjoyed the handling as much if not more than the C6 and M3 ( 2003 ) really a fun car to drive handling wise.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
I was not road racing....
I was behind a 370Z, who was behind 2 slow moving cars on a country road. As we passed these 2 cars, the Z was on it and so was I. As soon as we passed he backed off. I noticed his exhaust was different as it was in the middle of the car, I guess modded, and not the normal stock exhaust. Anyway, when he and I excellerated, we were both equal. I have no idea what the long outcome would have been for neither one of us willing to really road race. I got on Nissan web site and the car has a V6, 332 HP, 270 Torque, and 0-60 4.7, quarter mile in 13.1 at 105. That is equal to my old C5. Plus the car really outweights the vette. What gives? Could it have been turbo's in it?
That's it! I am going to the Nissan dealership on Monday and trade my car in. At least it will be another Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Nissan 370Z is quick...

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VY427
I have a 370Z that I use daily. It's a real nice driving car, but it's got a few areas with room for improvement.

Pluses: It feels like a quality car..it's solid, quiet and tight. The ride is firm without being harsh and it grips well. The motor sounds nice below 5K rpm (a bit of a flat-6 sound). It's got decent torque down low (not V8 torque, of course) and pulls pretty well up top. The steering is well weighted with good self-centering action and decent feel. The gear shift, while a bit light for my taste, has a positive action and short throws (for a stock shifter). The interior looks nice and has good fit, finish and materials.

Minuses: The drive-train sounds/feels harsh above 5K rpm..it spins freely, but it does not encourage using high revs. While respectably quick, the car doesn't feel powerful or fast (I had/have much faster cars, so take that with a grain of salt). There's some squat under acceleration. The clutch pedal effort is too easy and the assist has a bit of an artificial feel, also there's some clutch chatter when pulling away. It tramlines more than other cars I've had.

All in all, it's a nice car and a fun dd...no major regrets. Regarding straight line speed, all things being equal, a 370 wouldn't see which way an LS3 C6 went. The Z can hold its own in the corners, though.
I wrapped one up to 7K on my test drive. I have read this before from professional reviewers. Sounds like you cut-pasted almost. Not accusing you of it, but I never heard anything "harsh" above 5K. Can you be more discriptive?

I do agree though, it is the "weakest" feeling 332bhp 3300# car I have ever been in.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I had both for a while, sold the vette, because I really don't drive either that much with two full time jobs. I drive the Tahoe to work at the airport and the 370 is my track car.

No, its not as powerful as the LS2 C6 I had, but on the track, for me in particular, it is much more fun. It has a shorter wheelbase and is very twitchy, which in turn makes it much more demanding to drive at 9/10ths. To me, that equals more fun. It does need some serious mods to make it track worthy, brakes, oil cooler, and fuel system right off the bat, but the synchro rev match is pretty cool, but its annoying on the street.

THe main issue I have with it is the fuel system, which will starve the engine in hard right turns at about 7/8 of a tank or less, so I have to fill up after every 20 minute session. I did upgrade to brembos and make an oil cooler for it though.

EDIT: The wing is functional, not for looks

In summary,
I liked the vette better on the street and the Z on the track.

To the OP, I haven't seen a center exit exhaust for it, but I doubt it was turbo'd. THere are very few turbos out there, as the kits have only recently come out, just as the superchargers are really new also, and there are only a small handful of folks who have gone FI at this time.

Last edited by corvette pilot; 07-21-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Test drove a few, didn't do much for me. I wanted something faster than my current toy at the time ( 2002 Trans Am Ws6 - modified ). It didnt fill the gap I was looking for. It doesnt come close to performance of my new grand sport. Not close. You have to abuse it to have any kind of fun. Theres plenty of fun to be had in my gs in the 2k-3k rpm area, no abusing at all.