Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Almost killed by a Toyota today!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mariomark
Yes, everyone with half a brain knows that it is absolutely impossible for a mechanical linkage to stick. I do not know how that one got by me. I'll be sure to slap Mom for lying, right after I go out and buy a freakin' P.O.S. Toyota.
wow. i dont recall saying that your mother lied nor did i say that her throttle didn't in fact stick. all i said was the techs had good reason to suspect driver error.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, everyone with half a brain knows that it is absolutely impossible for a mechanical linkage to stick. I do not know how that one got by me. I'll be sure to slap Mom for lying, right after I go out and buy a freakin' P.O.S. Toyota.
Completely uncalled for.

Pretty sad that many have been so brainwashed into believing in Toyota's quality they cannot accept the fact Americans have died in Toyota cars solely due to Toyota's cover-up and, poorly made vehicles. Yet, something goes wrong with a American vehicle and, the critics become united.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The accident that started the feeding frenzy was, in fact, due to the installation of a carpet mat that was designed for a different vehicle. I had the exact same thing happen in my 68 Corvette. The mat slid under the pedal and once I floored the gas pedal, it would not return - scared the daylights out of me, especially with the ZZ3 engine.

Operator error is very common when it comes to unintended acceleration. Unfortunately, the bigger the company, the fiercer the attack. Just ask any Microsoft employee.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68
The accident that started the feeding frenzy was, in fact, due to the installation of a carpet mat that was designed for a different vehicle. I had the exact same thing happen in my 68 Corvette. The mat slid under the pedal and once I floored the gas pedal, it would not return - scared the daylights out of me, especially with the ZZ3 engine.

Operator error is very common when it comes to unintended acceleration. Unfortunately, the bigger the company, the fiercer the attack. Just ask any Microsoft employee.
Microsoft? Your going to compare innocent people being killed and, jailed solely due to poor design and, engineering to a software company?

BTW..It was a lot more then just a carpet mat that killed Americans.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

here we go again...im going to get out while i can.

mario, sorry to hear about the incident. glad you are ok. sorry if i offended you, i didnt mean anything by it.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I was nearly crushed by a runaway Toyota today while at the auto parts store. It came crashing through the storefront and chased me to the back of the aisle while the shelving closed in behind me. I still have glass in my hair and shoes. It was right out of a movie. The adrenaline flowed like it never has before. Now I know how those dudes feel who get chased by a friggin bear. Ate a big *** steak and hugged my kid and I am very happy to still have my legs. News said throttle stuck and the driver was not cited.
congrats on escaping

really, I wonder what's up with drivers these days. Sure, he could have had the throttle stick, but why didn't he then turn the engine off or apply the brakes instead of ramming the store? aren't we supposed to be better drivers than that?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
mariomark
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 66 Posts

No worries, I pick at my friends scabs too. I use skin thickening cream every day. You have to if your car breaks down every race weekend. Jest is just.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
g9m3c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shared this story with Jalopnik and they posted it just now. Too bad they got the names wrong. I sent Ray another email to let him know it was mariomark there and not me.

http://jalopnik.com/5525794/camry-cr...nce-auto-parts
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow nuts glad your ok
Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM
mariomark
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. What I went through was nothing compared to what some Toyota owners are going through. Whether real or not the perceived problem is worrying some car owners to death. Of the two Toyotas in my extended family, separated by model and years, one had this issue before it was widely known. I know all makes have problems. What bothers me about Toyota is what if they knew about it before the public started having these problems, even warning agencies in other countries before the U.S.? Over many decades the U.S. purchased enough of these cheap reliable cars to make Toyota the giant it is today. Personally I'd rather feed my own giant. I've bought American cars made in Canada and Australia. But always with an American name. Everyone has a choice and I don't knock anyone for buying what they want. I do reserve the right to mercilessly pick on any car buyer I want. After all, this is America. Unfortunately, I've had the experience of driving slow around awful wrecks on the highways of Houston for many years. The worst looking cars after wrecks always seemed to be the Japanese or Asian ones. I do believe my eyeballs. When it is time for my kid to get a car it will be an American car. If there is a safety problem, I can't help but feel it would be better handled by an American manufacturer. I am going to shut the hell up now.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the kind words. What I went through was nothing compared to what some Toyota owners are going through. Whether real or not the perceived problem is worrying some car owners to death. Of the two Toyotas in my extended family, separated by model and years, one had this issue before it was widely known. I know all makes have problems. What bothers me about Toyota is what if they knew about it before the public started having these problems, even warning agencies in other countries before the U.S.? Over many decades the U.S. purchased enough of these cheap reliable cars to make Toyota the giant it is today. Personally I'd rather feed my own giant. I've bought American cars made in Canada and Australia. But always with an American name. Everyone has a choice and I don't knock anyone for buying what they want. I do reserve the right to mercilessly pick on any car buyer I want. After all, this is America. Unfortunately, I've had the experience of driving slow around awful wrecks on the highways of Houston for many years. The worst looking cars after wrecks always seemed to be the Japanese or Asian ones. I do believe my eyeballs. When it is time for my kid to get a car it will be an American car. If there is a safety problem, I can't help but feel it would be better handled by an American manufacturer. I am going to shut the hell up now.
No need to shut up at all.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

You're on Jalopnik!

http://jalopnik.com/5525794/camry-un...art-store-wall
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 AM
g9m3c
Instructor

Originally Posted by g9m3c
I shared this story with Jalopnik and they posted it just now. Too bad they got the names wrong. I sent Ray another email to let him know it was mariomark there and not me.

http://jalopnik.com/5525794/camry-cr...nce-auto-parts
Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

We know.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Take a look at satistics and you'll find that the majority of fatal accidents including teens are large SUVs and family cars - not light-on-their-feet small cars like Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, and Nissans.

The mistaken impression that large, top-heavy american SUVs are safer is really sad since few teens realize that with massive size comes massive momentum. High-revving testosterone has no place in huge death traps.

I recall talking to an 80 year old guy who rode up to a deli on a dirt bike. When I asked him what his secret was for surviving 60 years riding motorcycles, he told me that a light bike is a safer bike. When it comes to evasive manuevers on the steet, the same applies to light, great handling and braking cars as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 PM
88Z51
Team Owner

Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ZishanMalik
Glad to hear your okay.

It all honesty that sounds like somoene whose foot slipped of the brake and onto the gas, more than someone a stuck accelerator pedal.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yikes! Glad you and no one was hurt!

-Alex
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 88Z51

]

Sadly innocent Americans have died or been seriously hurt.

YouTube - Toyota 911 Call Of Family's Fatal Lexus Crash
queue"URGENT" TOYOTA AND LEXUS : gas pedal could sti...12391 viewsseechannel9 · Toyota Sudden Acceleration Accident 1.27.10 Too Late For The Recall 0:48 ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=03m7fmnhO0I - Cached - Similar

Get notified of new replies

To Almost killed by a Toyota today!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Toyota recall: Gas pedal issue affects more than 2M vehicles ...
Jan 21, 2010 ... In another blow to its quality image, Toyota Motor announced Thursday a second huge recall of vehicles for another problem that could cause ...
http://www.usatoday.com/.../2010-01-...as-pedal_N.htm - Cached

Toyota recall list: What to do if your gas pedal sticks / The ...
Jan 27, 2010 ... Toyota will suspend sales of eight models in the US because of a problem with a sticking gas pedal. The Tuesday announcement follows a ...
http://www.csmonitor.com/.../Toyota-...s-pedal-sticks - Cached - Similar

Gas Pedal Flaw Leads Toyota To Stop Building 8 Models - NYTimes.com
Jan 27, 2010 ... A November recall by Toyota was intended to fix a design flaw that could cause the gas pedal to become trapped under the floor mat. ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/bu...ota.htmlToyota recall: 2.3 million more cars to fix gas pedals - Jan. 21, 2010
Jan 21, 2010 ... Toyota Motor Sales USA is recalling 2.3 million vehicles to correct a problem that could cause the vehicles' gas pedals to stick.
money.cnn.com/2010/01/21/autos/toyota_recall/ - Cached

More results from www.toyota.com »Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Recall January 2010: Gas Pedal Recall ...
Toyota files safety recall on some RAV4, Corolla, Matrix, Avalon, Camry, Highlander, Tundra, and Sequoia models for sticking accelerator pedal. / Toyota.
pressroom.toyota.com/.../toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx - Cached - Similar

Toyota Recall Information – 2009-2010 Toyota Recall List
Get the facts about current Toyota recalls, sales suspension and production stoppage at certain factories. Find the Toyota recall list here.
www.toyota.com/recall/ - Cached
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
88Z51
Team Owner

Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Sadly innocent Americans have died or been seriously hurt.
Sadly other Americans have been falsely trying to get in on the gravy train. And just as sad, many Americans simply have no business behind the wheel of an automobile.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
VorteXGT
New Money Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the kind words. What I went through was nothing compared to what some Toyota owners are going through. bla bla bla bla bla...
You can rant and rave about Toyota all you want, but I find it equally (if not more) disgusting the crazy lengths that some people are going to cash in on this situation -- which has almost certainly been fueled by (some) BS anyways.

Oh and lets not get into the "BUY AMERICAN!" soapbox preaching. American car companies have screwed their fellow Americans in their own ways. Not to mention, if their product isn't better than what else is out there (Asian, German, whatever...), then only a fool buys it simply to "support an American company."

Search this Thread